ADVERTISEMENT

5 alabama football players have the Rona

UKWildcats#8

All-American
Jun 25, 2011
Saw article on 24/7. Will be interesting how all this goes with people coming back to campus.

3 OSU players too. This will be a common occurrence.

Players will miss two wks worth of games if they get sick this season. Imagine getting upset by a bad team cause you were missing your entire OL starters, for example. Coronavirus is such a wild card.

Reactions: sambowieshin
We are either going to have to learn to live with the fact that players/people are going to get this and deal with it or just be content to never have college sports again.

https://247sports.com/college/alaba...players-test-positive-for-COVID-19-147852207/

People (including college students/players) getting Covid-19 will be the new norm until there is a vaccine.

Ultimately, some player is going to die from Covid. (I hope upon hope it doesn't happen, but I don't think there's anyway this doesn't eventually happen.) This tragedy will stop college athletics as quickly as it did in March. Immediate blame will be placed on schools, and more specifically on sports that generate income. Lawsuits will be aimed at every school.

I think the public will live with the fact of people getting Covid. However, they will be looking for someone to blame when someone dies.

I'm an advocate of schools (America) prudently moving ahead with life. We're seeing in week #1 that sickness will be part of our future. The pendulum, however, rarely swings to the middle. It swings from one extreme to the other. Covid death of a college athlete will cause the pendulum to swing to the extreme.

I pray for a vaccine, or a safe cure!

Reactions: jauk11 and matt_man
The fascinating thing is what happens when a starting qb of a top team gets it.

And I thought u had to self isolate 14 days no matter what. Not just a few days.

Thanks for the links guys. On my phone and couldn't get it to work.

Reactions: sambowieshin
We are either going to have to learn to live with the fact that players/people are going to get this and deal with it or just be content to never have college sports again.

https://247sports.com/college/alaba...players-test-positive-for-COVID-19-147852207/
Yeah, the OSU players are all asymptomatic. I suspect if you could test the entire US population tomorrow, you'd see a huge number of positives. The data says it isn't an issue for the young and healthy. I'm so tired of it and would just as soon they cancel all prep/college sports and be done with it.

Isn’t it better to let them all get exposed now, then quarantine them all for 2 weeks?

people are going to ‘get it’. There’s no way around that. It’s why I haven’t grasped some concepts out there being pushed that act as though our objective is totally stopping it from spreading at all. I expect there will be many of them test positive for it or for the antibodies from having had it if they test for that too

While younger health people are far less likely to die from Covid, some will.

Exactly, my cousin died from Covid she was 34 and had no underlying health issues. The virus just picks and chooses who it wants to kill.

Reactions: Taiza
Players will miss two wks worth of games if they get sick this season. Imagine getting upset by a bad team cause you were missing your entire OL starters, for example. Coronavirus is such a wild card.
A lot less so than the usual impact of injuries.

A lot less so than the usual impact of injuries.

You're underselling big time. Hamstring, knee, or shoulder injuries aren't contagious.

Think about how small the QB room is (coach and 5-6 players), and then think if one of them get sick. Worst case is you lose your starter and your next two backups for two weeks. Heck, they may sit players for just having been exposed to a player that tested positive. If you're in the hunt for your division crown that kills it very likely. If it was just the flu you might still practice and play them, but you can't with this given current guidelines.

On top of that think about college students lifestyles. They don't always wash their hands. They sit in poorly ventilated classrooms some of which may be the size of 200 students. I can see the program ensuring they mitigate but when they leave the football offices they are on their own.

You're underselling big time. Hamstring, knee, or shoulder injuries aren't contagious.

Think about how small the QB room is (coach and 5-6 players), and then think if one of them get sick. Worst case is you lose your starter and your next two backups for two weeks. Heck, they may sit players for just having been exposed to a player that tested positive. If you're in the hunt for your division crown that kills it very likely. If it was just the flu you might still practice and play them, but you can't with this given current guidelines.

On top of that think about college students lifestyles. They don't always wash their hands. They sit in poorly ventilated classrooms some of which may be the size of 200 students. I can see the program ensuring they mitigate but when they leave the football offices they are on their own.
Barely worse than the flu.

Reactions: EliteBlue

Players will test daily if they need to. They won’t sit players for being in the same room. Either they have it or they don’t. By fall there will be a vaccination that will greatly speed up the healing process. No way players will sit 2 weeks because they caught it. 3-4 days max.

Barely worse than the flu.

Not how it'll be treated. Schlarman is a health risk given he's on chemo. Other coaches will be health risk by virtue of being older and out of shape. Not to mention any children or family they have that are immuno-compromised.

Last edited:
Reactions: jauk11
Players will test daily if they need to. They won’t sit players for being in the same room. Either they have it or they don’t. By fall there will be a vaccination that will greatly speed up the healing process. No way players will sit 2 weeks because they caught it. 3-4 days max.

You haven't been following the news. Vaccine won't have happen till 2021. They'll isolate players like they are isolating everyone else since it's up to 14 days for symptoms to show.

Reactions: mrschwump
What about somebody like Schlarman and his chemo? Last I saw his treatment, whatever it is, was "ongoing." Supposedly people receiving chemo are at a higher risk with COVID-2019. Seems he will need extra precautions.

Last edited:
What about somebody like Schlarman and his chemo? Last I saw his treatment, whatever it is, was "ongoing." Supposedly people receiving chemo are at a higher risk with COVIDA-2019. Seems he will need extra precautions.
Putting him in the pressbox for games might be a partial solution.

Yak...I don’t think you’ve been following...I’m not talking about a preventative vaccine. I’m talking about a vaccine that will lessen the effects and speed up curing someone who catches the virus. It’s either going to be from antibodies from people who recovered on their own, or one of the dozens of pharmaceutical companies now working on it will find the right combination. They are already starting some human trials.

They will get the duration down to 3-4 days. No way will society accept waiting until next year with 2 week isolation as the only solution.

Isn’t it better to let them all get exposed now, then quarantine them all for 2 weeks?

Aye, and therein lies the rub.

I suggested on here some time ago (back when even having a season was in huge doubt-------and it still isn't a guarantee, but close enough that my idea isn't going to work)-------at least in the open. Yes, I do think that some teams will get a huge advantage (or disadvantage) from the way it hits different teams. I still believe that if I had a chance to play for UK on such a huge stage I would WANT to get the virus NOW, AND get it over with. All of our players are young and relatively healthy (give tests to find out if anyone has under lying conditions), with close monitoring and the chance of it killing you is easily less than one in a thousand would be my guess. Less than my chances of being killed in an auto accident when I was in high school, definitely less than that.

And how do you know someone like Bama will take knowing their chances of winning the SEC isn't riding on their top classes every year, their huge coaching expenses, not to mention recruiting, but more on the chance their two QBs will be out of the game when they play Georgia (that has the same problem) in the SEC playoff game? Did you read the article that said Bama's football program would be worth about a BILLION dollars on the stock market (a couple of years ago), compared to UK's being about a fourth of that? Hell, why not get it all over with now and know you won't have a lot of players out of the big game later on?

Oh wait, Bama just had five players out with the virus, guaranteed to be back in action and good to go all season long? Personally I hope no team has all their players sick now but ready to go for the full season before the first game, mainly because I KNOW that team won't be UK. Well, maybe it would be OK if it were UK, but FAT CHANCE of that happening.

Although I do worry about that happening at Thug U a lot more than at Bama. Auburn 2nd most likely.

Probably true.

But also probably true that doing so will greatly improve the chances of it spreading.

Exactly, my cousin died from Covid she was 34 and had no underlying health issues. The virus just picks and chooses who it wants to kill.
Not how it'll be treated. Schlarman is a health risk given he's on chemo. Other coaches will be health risk by virtue of being older and out of shape. Not to mention any children or family they have that are immuno-compromised.

Yes, protecting the coaches will be a bigger challenge, and most of them have made their pile of money, although no doubt they love doing what they do, I know I would. Officials also, and believe it or not they love what they do. It will be interesting to see how they handle it, maybe several of them coaching from the boxes up above, with Schlarman up above even if they have to tie him up, with the QB and defensive captain wearing radios on the field to call the plays.

No doubt it will be an interesting season, if it isn't cut short.

Last edited:
While younger health people are far less likely to die from Covid, some will.

Yes, probably, but hopefully not a whole lot above the death rate we already have for the young and invincible, and probably less.

Last edited:
Yak...I don’t think you’ve been following...I’m not talking about a preventative vaccine. I’m talking about a vaccine that will lessen the effects and speed up curing someone who catches the virus. It’s either going to be from antibodies from people who recovered on their own, or one of the dozens of pharmaceutical companies now working on it will find the right combination. They are already starting some human trials.

They will get the duration down to 3-4 days. No way will society accept waiting until next year with 2 week isolation as the only solution.

Would you like to make a wager on this? DM me and we can exchange contact info.

people are going to ‘get it’. There’s no way around that. It’s why I haven’t grasped some concepts out there being pushed that act as though our objective is totally stopping it from spreading at all. I expect there will be many of them test positive for it or for the antibodies from having had it if they test for that too
I don't think the objective was ever to stop it from spreading at all. That's impossible as you can see from players having this shit in freaking June. How often do you see healthy young people with the regular flu in June??? Never.
The objective when it was spreading like wild fire was to stop it from completely overwhelming our healthcare system. That was accomplished everywhere except New York because of the restrictions put in place by governors.

Reactions: RocknRollCats
People (including college students/players) getting Covid-19 will be the new norm until there is a vaccine.

Ultimately, some player is going to die from Covid. (I hope upon hope it doesn't happen, but I don't think there's anyway this doesn't eventually happen.) This tragedy will stop college athletics as quickly as it did in March. Immediate blame will be placed on schools, and more specifically on sports that generate income. Lawsuits will be aimed at every school.

I think the public will live with the fact of people getting Covid. However, they will be looking for someone to blame when someone dies.
Players already die of various viruses/flu from time to time. Deaths from this virus for those under 25 are extremely rare. The number of CFB players is an extremely small percentage of people under 25 & are more-free of underlying health conditions than the average person. Net, I don't see ultimately before a vaccine. Possible? Anything is possible but hardly predictable.

While # of NFL players is way smaller than CFB players #'s, their older ages makes me think one of them is more likely to die of it before a CFB player.

You haven't been following the news. Vaccine won't have happen till 2021. They'll isolate players like they are isolating everyone else since it's up to 14 days for symptoms to show.
I've seen reports of the earliest one having minimal doses by October & significant amounts before the end of 2020 - if it works.

I don't think the objective was ever to stop it from spreading at all. That's impossible as you can see from players having this shit in freaking June. How often do you see healthy young people with the regular flu in June??? Never.
The objective when it was spreading like wild fire was to stop it from completely overwhelming our healthcare system. That was accomplished everywhere except New York because of the restrictions put in place by governors.

That's kind of my point. Originally it was. But there is some portion of people who have carried it on to the point of it being 'stop the spread'. We can't completely stop it. In the very early stages they knew so little, but at this point there are things out there like CDC estimates of death rates at .2some odd percent which is more than flu (.1some odd) but hardly at a clip that mandates the isolation attitude some are still pushing.

And frankly, the death numbers are exacerbated by numbers from nursing homes and how they have been dealt with. Now that we know such a large percentage comes in that setting, dealing with issues can become much more specific and nuanced instead of this broad 'nobody go outside' thing.

Players already die of various viruses/flu from time to time.

Tell me the last time a college athlete died from a very contagious disease which doesn't have a known vaccine or cure?

I'm personally moving ahead with life. I'm just trying to be wise while doing it. However, people who say Covid is no different than flu or pneumonia either ignore or fail to realize the major difference. There are vaccines and treatments for these two illnesses!

Deaths from this virus for those under 25 are extremely rare.

I agree with you 100%. I admit to not knowing the death rate per age group until some quick research yesterday. The death rate for college age students is less than .4%. (less than 4 out of 1,000.) My original point was 2-fold. 1) Regardless of the death rate, without a vaccine it is just a matter of time before a college athlete dies from Covid. The good news is their (college age) stats could possibly delay this tragedy for a long time. 2) Colleges will get the immediate blame and the media will paint schools as prioritizing money over safety. Lawsuits will fly at schools like a swarm of locusts. College athletics will get shut down faster than late night parties at Minardi Hall.

I don't want this to happen!!! I have chosen to continue living my life, howbeit, with more prudence than before. But, without a vaccine, it's just a matter of time before a college athlete will die. Btw - I don't think their risk is increased because they're on campus. The same probability exists for them if they're living at home. (Many of them are probably safer at school.) But ... the story of a college player ( and/or student) dying at home is sad, but not as big of a story. The pendulum never swings to the middle. A college athlete getting sick and dying while being at school will cause the pendulum to swing to shutting down sports until a vaccine is discovered.

I pray for a vaccine.

Peace

True, takes care of Game Day but what about practice, film/skull sessions?
These days, he can sit in his cave at home and review film with them and handle chalk talk. He needs Toth or similar to return as a grad assistant and handle the practice field, while Coach Schlarman stays in a tower with a bullhorn and a headset.

Saw article on 24/7. Will be interesting how all this goes with people coming back to campus.
The more testing that gets done, the more positives will be discovered. That would be true for any antibody test for any virus.

The more verifiable information becomes available, the better people understand the situation.

Campuses have to reopen, and they will. It looks like football will be played this fall.

ADVERTISEMENT