ADVERTISEMENT

4 In Top 100!!!

sluggercatfan

All-American
Aug 17, 2004
UK has 4 players ranked in top 100 for mlb by Baseball America...Pop only position player with Hjelle, Lewis and Zaakee as pitchers. Wow must mean we are going to have a mean pitching staff with no mention of Thompson, but I guess that's because he's not eligible for the draft!!

A lot of question marks in the field, but the pitching staff should be nasty!!

Edit: To add to this a little bit, the guys in the field all look to be very good replacements for what we lost. White is going to be a huge loss, but there is a ton of potential and talent on this roster. Pitching may carry us at first, but I expect the bats to catch up quickly and for us to be dangerous at the plate.

A lot of question marks in the field, but the pitching staff should be nasty!!

Edit: To add to this a little bit, the guys in the field all look to be very good replacements for what we lost. White is going to be a huge loss, but there is a ton of potential and talent on this roster. Pitching may carry us at first, but I expect the bats to catch up quickly and for us to be dangerous at the plate.
Who do you think takes over White's spot.

I'm not sure. What is interesting is that we have a bit of a log jam at catcher. So, you might think that we might want to had one of Squires, Cottam, or Collette play first from time to time, but all are listed as catchers in the roster. Combs could also be a factor at first. He was a top 25 1B in the country in high school and had a great summer. Kind of hard to tell what might happen though.

I'm not sure. What is interesting is that we have a bit of a log jam at catcher. So, you might think that we might want to had one of Squires, Cottam, or Collette play first from time to time, but all are listed as catchers in the roster. Combs could also be a factor at first. He was a top 25 1B in the country in high school and had a great summer. Kind of hard to tell what might happen though.
What about DH with Collette?

What about DH with Collette?

I think he'll DH some. The problem is the coaches have to decide what their catcher rotation will be. Last year Squires was largely in for defense and Cottam would DH. That might change in certain circumstances. So, if that's the same this year then that means that Collette would be odd man out or he'd play first. They could also possibly rotate some things regarding matchups with certain pitchers.

I think he'll DH some. The problem is the coaches have to decide what their catcher rotation will be. Last year Squires was largely in for defense and Cottam would DH. That might change in certain circumstances. So, if that's the same this year then that means that Collette would be odd man out or he'd play first. They could also possibly rotate some things regarding matchups with certain pitchers.
No slight on him , but he dosen't seem very agile or quick enough to play first

No slight on him , but he dosen't seem very agile or quick enough to play first

I can't really say. However, from context clues the coaches must feel good about whoever they have there. The reason I say this is Ramsay is a freshman that is 6' 7 and was projected to be a pitcher and to play first. Instead, on the roster he's listed as pitcher and outfielder. Obviously this is just a roster and just speculation but it may mean something.

Still what I find interesting is that Colette is actually listed as a catcher. With his knee you would think that the coaching staff what want to find a position for him that would put less stress on that knee.

Last edited:
Reactions: sluggercatfan
I watched quite a bit this Fall. I don't believe we'll ever see TJ behind the plate. I think Squires will catch 75% with Cottam catching the rest. Cottam at 1st base most of the time with Squires and Combs also getting some innings. Just speculation from my observations this Fall.

Ramsey did play some outfield but not much. I never saw him at 1st base.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
I watched quite a bit this Fall. I don't believe we'll ever see TJ behind the plate. I think Squires will catch 75% with Cottam catching the rest. Cottam at 1st base most of the time with Squires and Combs also getting some innings. Just speculation from my observations this Fall.

Ramsey did play some outfield but not much. I never saw him at 1st base.

I think it will be interesting to see how that play catcher and first and DH. I too don't think we'll see Collette at catcher, but found it interesting that they only listed him as a catcher on the roster.

I assume the weekend starters will be Hjelle, Lewis and Thompson correct? Is that the best weekend starting pitching staff in the SEC or is there another team returning a better group?

I assume the weekend starters will be Hjelle, Lewis and Thompson correct? Is that the best weekend starting pitching staff in the SEC or is there another team returning a better group?

Well, we are probably one of few returning all 3 weekend starters. However, Florida will Singer and Kowar and they are both likely first rounders. Florida will be just straight sick.

Reactions: irishcat1965
ADVERTISEMENT