ADVERTISEMENT

3 PT Shooting

zwynn10

Freshman
Dec 16, 2008
I heard the commentators say last night that the Cats were leading the SEC in 3pt shooting percentage. The eyes suggested that we were shooting the 3 fairly well but I wanted to see the data. The Cats as a team are shooting 36.9% from 3 and the guys playing the bulk of the minutes that have taken a 3 (Reeves, Frederick, Wallace, Wheeler, Toppin and Livingston) are shooting collectively over 37%. Take out Toppin, who is averaging a little over one 3pt shot per game, and the 3 pt shooting percentage is over 38%. Surprisingly, excluding Toppin from 6 mentioned, Frederick is currently shooting the lowest percentage (Reeves - 39.7%, Wallace - 39.6%, Livingston - 37.9%, Wheeler - 37.5% and Frederick - 35.4%).

On SEC 3 pt %, KY’s 36.9% leads, AL is second at 34.6% and Mizz is third at 34.5%.

One other interesting item is 3 pt attempts per game. KY is averaging 20 attempts per game which leads only 1 other SEC team (Ark) and is tied with TX A&M and Ol’ Miss. AL leads the conference at 30 attempts per game.

Playing the data game, these numbers suggest that KY may want to increase its 3 pt attempts per game. Not too much, however, as Oscar is leading the SEC in 2 pt FG % at almost 59%.

Last edited:
I heard the commentators say last night that the Cats were leading the SEC in 3pt shooting percentage. The eyes suggested that we were shooting the 3 fairly well but I wanted to see the data. The Cats as a team are shooting 36.9% from 3 and the guys playing the bulk of the minutes that have taken a 3 (Reeves, Frederick, Wallace, Wheeler, Toppin and Livingston) are shooting collectively over 37%. Take out Toppin, who is averaging a little over one 3pt shot per game, and the 3 pt shooting percentage is over 39%. Surprisingly, excluding Toppin from 6 mentioned, Frederick is currently shooting the lowest percentage (Reeves - 39.7%, Wallace - 39.6%, Livingston - 37.9%, Wheeler - 37.5% and Frederick - 35.4%).

On SEC 3 pt %, KY’s 36.9% leads, AL is second at 34.6% and Mizz is third at 34.5%.

One other interesting item is 3 pt attempts per game. KY is averaging 20 attempts per game which leads only 1 other SEC team (Ark) and is tied with TX A&M and Ol’ Miss. AL leads the conference at 30 attempts per game.

Playing the data game, these numbers suggest that KY may want to increase its 3 pt attempts per game. Not too much, however, as Oscar is leading the SEC in 2 pt FG % at almost 59%.
Good stats.
And yes, we should be shooting more threes. 20-25 per game. We turn the ball over a lot when we try to force feed the ball into the post, if we show that we are going to burn you from the outside, Oscar will get more one on one opportunities.

I heard the commentators say last night that the Cats were leading the SEC in 3pt shooting percentage. The eyes suggested that we were shooting the 3 fairly well but I wanted to see the data. The Cats as a team are shooting 36.9% from 3 and the guys playing the bulk of the minutes that have taken a 3 (Reeves, Frederick, Wallace, Wheeler, Toppin and Livingston) are shooting collectively over 37%. Take out Toppin, who is averaging a little over one 3pt shot per game, and the 3 pt shooting percentage is over 39%. Surprisingly, excluding Toppin from 6 mentioned, Frederick is currently shooting the lowest percentage (Reeves - 39.7%, Wallace - 39.6%, Livingston - 37.9%, Wheeler - 37.5% and Frederick - 35.4%).

Yeah- Fredrick and Reeves need to be pulling more from deep.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Kentucky will hard to beat if you can get 6 of 15 3pt from Frederick, reeves, and wallace which is what happened last night. That was probably the best game of the season for those three shooting the 3-pointer decently in the same game. And the best good omen from the whole thing is that was on the road in a gym it's hard to shoot in.
None of these three guys have peaked as three-point shooters yet this season. I still believe we waiting to see our best games from Frederick Reeves and Wallace from the three. If they get hot man we can win six straight

Throw in Oscar having a typical Oscar game and welll you see the results

Last edited:
Kentucky will hard to beat if you can get 6 of 15 3pt from Frederick, reeves, and wallace which is what happened last night. That was probably the best game of the season for those three shooting the 3-pointer decently in the same game. And the best good omen from the whole thing is that was on the road in a gym it's hard to shoot in.
None of these three guys have picked us three-point shooters yet this season. I still believe where to see our best games from Frederick Reeves and Wallace from the three. If they get hot man we can win six straight

Throw in Oscar having a typical Oscar game and welll you see the results
Frederick, with 10 pts and 5 assists and only 1 turnover may have been the 2nd best player on the floor for UK.

Their in-conference 3pt% shooting has been much lower, but I wonder if everyone's percentages drop like that.

Looks like we are 5th in conference play at 32.7%

I think more than shooting more 3's, we need to attach the rim more. I think someone on here posted a stat that we rank in the 100's in FG%, which is at 45.8%. Only 2 of Cal's UK teams have been lower, and last year was his 2nd best (48.3%). Add in that we are attempting only 18 FTs /gm (just 2 last night), the 2nd lowest (last year was lowest) in the Cal era. Keeping in mind that we have the NPOY in the post.
All of that tells me 2 things. 1) We aren't attacking the rim enough, where you likely are either getting the bucket or getting fouled. And 2) refs are letting teams foul Oscar all they want. He usually has 2-3 guys on him when he gets the ball, yet Oscar averages only 5.6 FTA/gm. Comparatively Randle averaged 7.5, Bam 6.2, Cousins 7.1 (in 75% as many minutes).

Back to attacking the rim, recall Andrew doing that over and over, when the 14 team turned the corner. That team averaged over 10 more FTA/gm than this year! I'm not saying Wallace and Reeves and Fredrick should play like the twins. But they can attack the rim a bit more than they are now. I would say Wheeler has "attacked" it more than anyone, even though he is the one least likely to be successful at it. I think we need to see more of that from (in order) Livingston, Wallace and Toppin. Livingston especially. He has the body to absorb it. He has decent enough handle at F (better than Toppin's anyway), AND (granted limit #'s) he has made 21 of 24 FTs (87.5%). He does attack 2-3 times a game, but usually pulls up 8' away. No, go all the way to the rim big-fella!

I think more than shooting more 3's, we need to attach the rim more. I think someone on here posted a stat that we rank in the 100's in FG%, which is at 45.8%. Only 2 of Cal's UK teams have been lower, and last year was his 2nd best (48.3%). Add in that we are attempting only 18 FTs /gm (just 2 last night), the 2nd lowest (last year was lowest) in the Cal era. Keeping in mind that we have the NPOY in the post.
All of that tells me 2 things. 1) We aren't attacking the rim enough, where you likely are either getting the bucket or getting fouled. And 2) refs are letting teams foul Oscar all they want. He usually has 2-3 guys on him when he gets the ball, yet Oscar averages only 5.6 FTA/gm. Comparatively Randle averaged 7.5, Bam 6.2, Cousins 7.1 (in 75% as many minutes).

Back to attacking the rim, recall Andrew doing that over and over, when the 14 team turned the corner. That team averaged over 10 more FTA/gm than this year! I'm not saying Wallace and Reeves and Fredrick should play like the twins. But they can attack the rim a bit more than they are now. I would say Wheeler has "attacked" it more than anyone, even though he is the one least likely to be successful at it. I think we need to see more of that from (in order) Livingston, Wallace and Toppin. Livingston especially. He has the body to absorb it. He has decent enough handle at F (better than Toppin's anyway), AND (granted limit #'s) he has made 21 of 24 FTs (87.5%). He does attack 2-3 times a game, but usually pulls up 8' away. No, go all the way to the rim big-fella!
I get what you’re saying, but how are they going to attack the rim more than they already do? The paint is clogged with defenders surrounding Oscar.

I would agree if we took 30 threes every game, but we only took 16 total 3's last night and that’s with really good rebounding.

It’s tough to drive when Oscar is in there. Maybe pull him out away from the paint, but then, we have another issue, we don't have a guy like Fox, Teague, SGA, or Wall that can get to the rack against good defenders.

I think this team is playing the best way they can, given the personnel.

I get what you’re saying, but how are they going to attack the rim more than they already do? The paint is clogged with defenders surrounding Oscar.

I would agree if we took 30 threes every game, but we only took 16 total 3's last night and that’s with really good rebounding.

It’s tough to drive when Oscar is in there. Maybe pull him out away from the paint, but then, we have another issue, we don't have a guy like Fox, Teague, SGA, or Wall that can get to the rack against good defenders.

I think this team is playing the best way they can, given the personnel.
Oscar isn't surrounded like that until he gets the ball (except TAMU game). Otherwise we should have wide open 3's available. But I agree a few more 3's (20-25) would be ideal.
But Oscar can slide to the weakside just out of the paint which should free up the paint on the other side. Or he can set a screen for a driver at the Jimmy Dykes "NAIL" spot. Heck just do whatever we did with Andrew and Randle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT