ADVERTISEMENT

27 yr old DeAndre Williams of Memphis denied waiver for eligibility

It’s good to see the NCAA finally coming out of that “ grant waivers to anyone and everyone for any reason whatsoever” phase it was in for a few years there.

You’re 27 years old and have already played a full college career, dude, it’s time to move on with your life.

35 is the age limit right? There was a guy that was a WR for Colorado or somewhere like that that was in the military and aged put about ten years ago I believe.

35 is the age limit right? There was a guy that was a WR for Colorado or somewhere like that that was in the military and aged put about ten years ago I believe.
Yeah, if it’s for military reasons it’s OK by me. I recall Minnesota having a basketball player like that years ago. He joined the army out of high school and served six years in the 82nd airborne division before starting his college basketball career. I don’t mind if you play at age 30 if that’s the reason.

But I do have a problem with these guys that just stretch their college basketball careers out for six or seven years by getting waiver after waiver from the NCAA.

Good. I think he was in the same class as Perry Ellis and he's just a few years away from drawing social security.

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
LOL good!!! No reason a 27 year old should be playing college basketball.

To be fair, he had to go to a fifth year of high school at night because he got deceived by one of those fake high schools. Then sat out a year and worked. Then went juco - now 21, freshman - then Evansville at 22, playing against us in that upset win. Then Memphis for 3 years, one of which was covid, so 23, 24, 25, so he got the ‘extra’ year.

He’s trying to play now, at age 26 year, but he’s also old for his class, so 27 as of October. He was trying to get an extra year because he didn’t play much of the juco year, may have dropped out. I’m not sure on that but either way, they were trying to get it called a ‘regular redshirt. That would’ve been sketchy and it’s good of the NCAA to recognize that.

To be fair, he had to go to a fifth year of high school at night because he got deceived by one of those fake high schools. Then sat out a year and worked. Then went juco - now 21, freshman - then Evansville at 22, playing against us in that upset win. Then Memphis for 3 years, one of which was covid, so 23, 24, 25, so he got the ‘extra’ year.

He’s trying to play now, at age 26 year, but he’s also old for his class, so 27 as of October. He was trying to get an extra year because he didn’t play much of the juco year, may have dropped out. I’m not sure on that but either way, they were trying to get it called a ‘regular redshirt. That would’ve been sketchy and it’s good of the NCAA to recognize that.
Well, that’s a fair explanation of why his situation may’ve once been deserving of forgiving treatment.**

But he’s ALREADY gotten that forgiving treatment. Dude has already had FIVE playing seasons … his three Memphis seasons, his Evansville season, and his Juco season. He’s already been given his COVID bonus season. And he’s friggin 27 years old. What more could he possibly be entitled to?

**although I’m tempted to take issue with the characterization that he was supposedly “deceived” into choosing the fake high school. God forbid that today’s high school students should be accountable for their own decisions.

Agreed, absolute maximum age limit in college should be 25 and even that might be pushing it.

If someone‘s college career is decimated by injuries multiple times I understand giving them an extra chance down the road.

27 years old is absurd.
This. I get giving someone a shot at coming back for their senior year or something if they had injuries or illness that prevented them from playing.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I’m 33, trying to play next semester. I get older but college girls stay the same age
College girls now aren't the same as they were even when I was in college and that wasn't THAT long ago. College campuses used to be fun, a place to learn about other cultures, but also a place to be have a little party before true adulthood. Now most of them are places where you have to walk on eggshells or you might run afoul of what ever culture whirlwind shifts that day. And i'm not exactly ultra-conservative.

College girls now aren't the same as they were even when I was in college and that wasn't THAT long ago. College campuses used to be fun, a place to learn about other cultures, but also a place to be have a little party before true adulthood. Now most of them are places where you have to walk on eggshells or you might run afoul of what ever culture whirlwind shifts that day. And i'm not exactly ultra-conservative.
If you aren't in college anymore, how do you know what the culture of college campuses are? Did you read it on FaceBook?

If you aren't in college anymore, how do you know what the culture of college campuses are? Did you read it on FaceBook?
Ya know, it's funny. It's called reading and observing. I have friends who are also educators. We do happen talk. I also attend conferences and seminars held on campuses. I like to wander around during breaks and learn and observe.

Any more loaded biased questions? Good grief the net has been more knee jerky than usual lately. Did I read it on Facebook......what a snarky question.

Reactions: warrior-cat
Why is he still trying to stay in college at this point? Good grief.
If he doesn’t have attractive professional options, he can probably make more nil money than he could at any job he’s qualified for, plus have a more “entertaining” lifestyle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT