ADVERTISEMENT

25 Redshirt Freshmen to Watch in the SEC in 2017

TuckyFB

All-SEC
Gold Member
Jun 21, 2016
Athlon Sports did a Top 25 Freshmen to watch in the SEC and UK has two guys on that list!

Drake Jackson, OL, Kentucky

Kentucky loses only one starter from its 2016 unit, but center Jon Toth was the group’s best player and won’t be easy to replace. The Wildcats will shuffle a few players around this spring to find the right mix up front, but Jackson is a name to remember. The redshirt freshman could slide into Toth’s spot at center or could move to guard in search of playing time.

A.J. Rose, RB, Kentucky

With Boom Williams departing for the NFL, the Wildcats open spring practice looking for a second option to pair with Benny Snell in the backfield. Rose earned praise for his work on the scout team last season, and the Ohio native should carve out a role in the backfield for 2017.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/25-redshirt-freshmen-watch-sec-2017

Athlon Sports did a Top 25 Freshmen to watch in the SEC and UK has two guys on that list!

Drake Jackson, OL, Kentucky

Kentucky loses only one starter from its 2016 unit, but center Jon Toth was the group’s best player and won’t be easy to replace. The Wildcats will shuffle a few players around this spring to find the right mix up front, but Jackson is a name to remember. The redshirt freshman could slide into Toth’s spot at center or could move to guard in search of playing time.

A.J. Rose, RB, Kentucky

With Boom Williams departing for the NFL, the Wildcats open spring practice looking for a second option to pair with Benny Snell in the backfield. Rose earned praise for his work on the scout team last season, and the Ohio native should carve out a role in the backfield for 2017.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/25-redshirt-freshmen-watch-sec-2017

No question Rose will have a role since UK's short of depth at RB but Gran hinted recently he's running behind King. Both should play a lot however.

Reactions: SanAntonioCat
Every time gran talks it is about King catching passes. I will stick with my prediction of Snell in the backfield with King in the slot.
UK does not have enough RB's to put King in the slot. Bowden and Thomas will have the slot locked down.

Reactions: mrschwump
Every time gran talks it is about King catching passes. I will stick with my prediction of Snell in the backfield with King in the slot.

In a single back formation if you have a pass catching back you can shift him out wide as as a flanker and get a mismatch on the defense the opponent is showing. We use to do this a lot with Rafael Little who had as good ball skills as any receiver we had on that team. I think this is the most likely way we would utilize King in the passing game. JMO

In a single back formation if you have a pass catching back you can shift him out wide as as a flanker and get a mismatch on the defense the opponent is showing. We use to do this a lot with Rafael Little who had as good ball skills as any receiver we had on that team. I think this is the most likely way we would utilize King in the passing game. JMO
That's exactly what I am talking about.

UK does not have enough RB's to put King in the slot. Bowden and Thomas will have the slot locked down.
King will move into the slot with Snell behind center. It's a two back formation. If you get King matched up right it's an easy pitch and catch. King will not move there full-time but Gran will use his best asset.

That's exactly what I am talking about.

single back meaning he's the only RB on the field, meaning he is lined up as a running back not a slot receiver. From that formation the defense has to respect the running play but they can shift to a 5 receiver look and get a mismatch. I don't mean to sound redundant but I just don't see us putting two running backs on the field at the same time when, at this point we only have 3 but have a dozen or so receivers. Especially in the slot which takes a lot of nasty hits over the middle.

single back meaning he's the only RB on the field, meaning he is lined up as a running back not a slot receiver. From that formation the defense has to respect the running play but they can shift to a 5 receiver look and get a mismatch. I don't mean to sound redundant but I just don't see us putting two running backs on the field at the same time when, at this point we only have 3 but have a dozen or so receivers. Especially in the slot which takes a lot of nasty hits over the middle.
We will see but with a better situation at back up qb you can add 75 carries to Johnson. Plus Snell is a guy who gets better with more carries. There will be games Snell runs it 30 times.

While it may look like King may play more early on behind Snell, it may not end that way once the season starts. Sometimes players show so much talent early on you just can't keep them off the field, a lot like Snell this past season. It might turn out this way with this kid this season. Whatever happens, our starting running back is going to be one of the best in the entire country. I doubt any rival fan can deny the talent Snell brings to our football team. It is going to be fun to see what Snell can do as the full time starting RB for Kentucky. It is going to be exciting.

Re the wildcat, 2 words Lynn Bowden

Yes. Because of our lack of depth at RB Bowden will get plenty of carries. I'm sure that had to have been part of our recruiting pitch to him. I really thought we needed to sign another RB esp since Koback was injured but the coaches know more than me.

Yes. Because of our lack of depth at RB Bowden will get plenty of carries. I'm sure that had to have been part of our recruiting pitch to him. I really thought we needed to sign another RB esp since Koback was injured but the coaches know more than me.

Could be they were surprised by Williams ill-advised NFL gambit is why they didn't sign another RB..

King will move into the slot with Snell behind center. It's a two back formation. If you get King matched up right it's an easy pitch and catch. King will not move there full-time but Gran will use his best asset.

This staff has shown no inclination of using two backs at once and for good reason.
  • The only way you can get a slot mismatch from the two tailback personnel package is if you can get the defense to come out in a base (4-3 / 3-4) set and you can motion King to the slot against a linebacker. However, you're not going to be able to bait a good coordinator into going base by putting two tailbacks in the backfield. The reason you go with the extra linebacker is to take on the offense's extra point of attack blocker, which King is not. Thus, King would be running routes against a nickleback. I would prefer Bowden or Juice in this situation, not a running back.
  • If you really want to get King the ball in space, you do so in the screen game, passes to the flat, or wheel routes. He could be effective in that role.
  • Since we're thin at running back, I doubt you'll see two of them on the field at the same time anyway. Doing so would fatigue one or both of them and negate the advantage of rotating RB's.

This staff has shown no inclination of using two backs at once and for good reason.
  • The only way you can get a slot mismatch from the two tailback personnel package is if you can get the defense to come out in a base (4-3 / 3-4) set and you can motion King to the slot against a linebacker. However, you're not going to be able to bait a good coordinator into going base by putting two tailbacks in the backfield. The reason you go with the extra linebacker is to take on the offense's extra point of attack blocker, which King is not. Thus, King would be running routes against a nickleback. I would prefer Bowden or Juice in this situation, not a running back.
  • If you really want to get King the ball in space, you do so in the screen game, passes to the flat, or wheel routes. He could be effective in that role.
  • Since we're thin at running back, I doubt you'll see two of them on the field at the same time anyway. Doing so would fatigue one or both of them and negate the advantage of rotating RB's.
I trust Gran to use king properly.

Cleveland will be easy to keep an eye on, not looking like he is going to be seeing the field very much right now.

While it may look like King may play more early on behind Snell, it may not end that way once the season starts. Sometimes players show so much talent early on you just can't keep them off the field, a lot like Snell this past season. It might turn out this way with this kid this season. Whatever happens, our starting running back is going to be one of the best in the entire country. I doubt any rival fan can deny the talent Snell brings to our football team. It is going to be fun to see what Snell can do as the full time starting RB for Kentucky. It is going to be exciting.

I love the yards after contact that Snell deliveries.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT