ADVERTISEMENT

24 second shot clock

Love the shorter clock. I like quarters but I'm also kinda of fond of 1+1 so if it went to quarters I still think I'd like to see the fouls reset, but maybe fouls 5 and 6 are 1+1 and after that 2.

Reactions: LexCatnOhio
I'd prefer 4 quarters and eliminating the one and one with it like what the women do (so you get 5 team fouls in a quarter it triggers the double bonus). Not convinced college needs to go to a 24 second shot clock because of the ability level versus the pros.

Reactions: chroix
Make a team play at least a minute of defense. College basketball barely exists. Same as baseball. Why the clocks? What's the hurry? Too many timeouts, why add a quarter break? I've already peed twice and eaten 3 hot dogs.

I I like the four quarter….because you play the quarter unless a team calls timeout. No under 16 minutes automatic, rhen under 12 snd rhen under 8 minutes timeout wjtb and a final under 4 automatic time out. It’s a flow of the game wjtb out constantly stopping the game is huge to me
2. I’m a bit indifferent to the 24 vs30 second shot clock
3. I am likening though rhr wjder lanes….seems like it opens the floor a bit more which space to me alllows players to show their skill vs a glorified football game that some teams draws you into

Yes, 24 second clock, please.

Don't care either way about quarters, although the rest of the world plays in quarters, so we may as well get on board. At least teams get a timeout-free break between quarters vs. hammering through 20 straight minutes.

And I'll add to this - 6 fouls vs. 5. Given how physical the game has gotten, and how bad refs are, I think this is necessary.

I think anytime you give elite players that UK typically gets extra possesions it can only benefit the program.

The 2 halves make college basketball unique, but it looks antiquated compared to the evolution of the game. Would be a huge shakeup and fun to watch.

Reactions: Skyguyb27
The 24 second clock discounts defense. A team ought to have to play some defense to win a game. I like strategy on offense and tenacity on defense. Run and pop every 24 seconds or less makes the pro game boring for me.

Reactions: Skyguyb27
I’m indifferent on the clock but I like the quarters. As long as they eliminate a time out each half too.

I would like to see college go to 6 fouls too.

I didn't used to like the clock. At all. Now, after these games, I really want the 24 second clock in the college game. Action is initiated much sooner, and it puts a premium on quickness and imagination over mere strength. Coaches have also worked out how to attack a press. If there were less time, coaches might have to re-think how to do that and we might see more pressing.

Love the shorter clock. I like quarters but I'm also kinda of fond of 1+1 so if it went to quarters I still think I'd like to see the fouls reset, but maybe fouls 5 and 6 are 1+1 and after that 2.
I get where you’re coming from bc I like the pressure of a 1+1 but I also think one of the reason the game has a quicker flow is bc you aren’t spending so much playing time in the bonus or double bonus

I I like the four quarter….because you play the quarter unless a team calls timeout. No under 16 minutes automatic, rhen under 12 snd rhen under 8 minutes timeout wjtb and a final under 4 automatic time out. It’s a flow of the game wjtb out constantly stopping the game is huge to me
2. I’m a bit indifferent to the 24 vs30 second shot clock
3. I am likening though rhr wjder lanes….seems like it opens the floor a bit more which space to me alllows players to show their skill vs a glorified football game that some teams draws you into
Im curious how? How does spacing the lanes change where players piaition themselves aside from free throws?

The lanes are wider so you tend to move in/out of three point violation which adds a bit of spacing to the painted area.

I wish the NCAA would change the shot clock and 4 quarters to begin in men's basketball this upcoming season. It is so much more fun than what we have now.

I like the 4 quarters,
But prefer 30 seconds. You aren’t playing stall-ball due to 6 more seconds, the days of UNC chicken-shit 4-corners are long gone. With 24 if you pressure the ball from the inbounds, it can be difficult for a team to run a play for a good shot. But it’s not horrible if went to 24.

Reactions: March 22
I didn't used to like the clock. At all. Now, after these games, I really want the 24 second clock in the college game. Action is initiated much sooner, and it puts a premium on quickness and imagination over mere strength. Coaches have also worked out how to attack a press. If there were less time, coaches might have to re-think how to do that and we might see more pressing.

Dont see how it would effect attacking the press. The 10 sec back court still in effect.

I vote for:
1. Four 10-minute quarters.
2. TV timeouts at the 5 minute mark, and the end of each quarter, only. And any timeout taken by a team within 1 minute of the planned TV timeout counts for the TV timeout. No more team timeouts 5 seconds before the next TV timeout cutoff, and then another stoppage of play for a TV timeout on a dead ball just a few seconds later. Improve the flow of the game, and maybe keep most of them to 2 hours or less.
3. Somewhat indifferent on 24 vs. 30 seconds on the shot clock. Perhaps meet in the middle and make it 27 seconds.

I vote for:
1. Four 10-minute quarters.
2. TV timeouts at the 5 minute mark, and the end of each quarter, only. And any timeout taken by a team within 1 minute of the planned TV timeout counts for the TV timeout. No more team timeouts 5 seconds before the next TV timeout cutoff, and then another stoppage of play for a TV timeout on a dead ball just a few seconds later. Improve the flow of the game, and maybe keep most of them to 2 hours or less.
3. Somewhat indifferent on 24 vs. 30 seconds on the shot clock. Perhaps meet in the middle and make it 27 seconds.

That is exactly how the women's quarter timeouts work now. Plus an added on the first called timeout in the second half (just like in the men's game).

I love how the college game is. The less like the NBA the BETTER! Keep halves and keep it at 30(which is much better than 35).

I don’t know if it’s the shot clock or just this team but this team has shown an ability to stretch a lead 7-10 points in a matter of 1-2 minutes. I don’t know that any other Cal team has done that-that efficiently.

Reactions: ryanbruner
I like the 24 second clock and the wider lane, it would be great for our DD offense!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT