ADVERTISEMENT

24/7 Final Top 150 Transfer Rankings…

Feb 13, 2024
It ain’t pretty. This is why I haven’t been high on the roster building like most here. I think Williams is too low and Garrison is too high but the rest are probably about right. I full expected being on the bubble next year before Kal left. I see nothing to make me change that expectation with the the roster coming in. We missed on too many good players.

We were linked to 6-7 of the top 12 at some point and got none of them. But do go on about how Orlando wasn’t need here for recruiting because we had Hart who was better. I was repeatedly told that.

- 22.) Brandon Garrison
- 33.) Otega Oweh
- 47.) Lamont Butler
- 69.) Andrew Carr
- 86.) Amari Williams
- 89.) Koby Brea
- 125.) Kerr Kriisa

It ain’t pretty. This is why I haven’t been high on the roster building like most here. I think Williams is too low and Garrison is too high but the rest are probably about right. I full expected being on the bubble next year before Kal left. I see nothing to make me change that expectation with the the roster coming in. We missed on too many good players.

We were linked to 6-7 of the top 12 at some point and got none of them. But do go on about how Orlando wasn’t need here for recruiting because we had Hart who was better. I was repeatedly told that.

- 22.) Brandon Garrison
- 33.) Otega Oweh
- 47.) Lamont Butler
- 69.) Andrew Carr
- 86.) Amari Williams
- 89.) Koby Brea
- 125.) Kerr Kriisa

So we have 7 players in the top 150 and you are tripping out? 6 of them are top 90.

Last edited:
So we have 7 players in the top 150 and you are tripping out?
They are still viewing it like HS rankings

When half to 2/3rds of CBB goes into the portal… they 50th ranking of proven CBB players is not equal to getting the 50th ranked highschool kid from a single incoming freshmen class that has yet to play a game of college ball.

Perfect example is that ppl would have loved to get Wagner, Bradshaw, and Z back bc they had lofty incoming freshmen rankings…. And look where they are in the portal rankings… still primarily based on their potential bc they are underclassmen nba hopefuls vs the proven 4/5th year that had their ranking in production

I think the rankings are hard to get accurate. Do we think Wagner is that good? How about Bradshaw?

37) DJ Wagner
42)Bradshaw
53) Z

54)Huntley- ield I think he might be underrated..
Time will tell. My expectations are tempered for next year. I do believe we have more talent than BYU had this past season and am optimistic we will be better than a bubble team. Once the nation sees our offensive and defensive schemes and staff has a full year I am confident we make a BIG jump in talent in year 2

- 22.) Brandon Garrison
- 33.) Otega Oweh
- 47.) Lamont Butler
- 69.) Andrew Carr
- 86.) Amari Williams
- 89.) Koby Brea
- 125.) Kerr Kriisa

Just for shits and giggles and because Jello wiggles, HOW do you come to your rankings ? Based on your wording in your post, you have a method you use in ranking these guys. I really want to read it. Garrison, where should he be ? Williams ? What do you base your conclusion on the rest being about right ? Pictures ? Video clips ? Magic 8 ball ?

Reactions: TM2013
We are a star or two away from being contenders, but this is what a Mark Pope roster is going to look like most years. Hard nosed defenders that have high catch and shoot percentages. The roster as is, probably a sweet sixteen ceiling. We add Robinson/Lanier? Thats a true contender.

- 22.) Brandon Garrison
- 33.) Otega Oweh
- 47.) Lamont Butler
- 69.) Andrew Carr
- 86.) Amari Williams
- 89.) Koby Brea
- 125.) Kerr Kriisa

Did Antigua help Illinois land anyone yet?

No?

Good logic, except, not at all.

Keep reaching. You're terrible at this.

I think the rankings are hard to get accurate. Do we think Wagner is that good? How about Bradshaw?

37) DJ Wagner
42)Bradshaw
53) Z

54)Huntley-Hatfield I think he might be underrated..
So does anyone think let’s take a random commit, like Krissa. Some people think he’s okay, some don’t. But does anyone think Aaron Bradshaw will bring more to a team than he will next season?

The article says there are over 1900 players that enteredthe portal and we have 7 in the top 125…..

OP might want to re think what he’s tryin to prove 💀💀💀💀💀💀
That’s what I’m saying? So even in all of college D1 ball if these are the best 150 players available and we got 7, makes me think we can compete. Not to mention that we probably have 2 spots saved for those who come back from the draft. So they will be ranked fairly high as well. Maybe even a Peterson like reclass.

That’s what I’m saying? So even in all of college D1 ball if these are the best 150 players available and we got 7, makes me think we can compete. Not to mention that we probably have 2 spots saved for those who come back from the draft. So they will be ranked fairly high as well. Maybe even a Peterson like reclass.
100%. I’m sure we will have some early bumps in road with chemistry but I’m liking how the team is shaping up.

Ready to see what this new coaching staff can do on the court compared what we are use to seeing.

I mean it's odd to rank Transfer Portal options because so much of their future is based on what program they choose to transfer to. Some coaches will get more out of a player based on fit/system then previous coaches. Pure talent isn't as important as fit and usage.

Pope's done a fine job with situation he walked into and still has 3 spots to fill (think he's mentioned keeping a spot open) and upfront....getting a 3x DPOY from any conference is important. Having your PG come from a program that has WON in March/April matters. His only 2 NCAA Tournament losses the past two years are to UConn, so he's in company there. If you can make a game winner in a Final Four game, along with being a DPOY in your conference....you've addressed some major voids.

I'd love to see the response from Coaches on the "rankings" of the Portal. I'm sure there would be a heavy side eye and head shaking going on.

Idk how or who ranks these guys but Jaxson Robinson ranked 35? He would be our best player. Idk about all these players but this list is just a guess as far as I can see.

I mean it's odd to rank Transfer Portal options because so much of their future is based on what program they choose to transfer to. Some coaches will get more out of a player based on fit/system then previous coaches. Pure talent isn't as important as fit and usage.

Pope's done a fine job with situation he walked into and still has 3 spots to fill (think he's mentioned keeping a spot open) and upfront....getting a 3x DPOY from any conference is important. Having your PG come from a program that has WON in March/April matters. His only 2 NCAA Tournament losses the past two years are to UConn, so he's in company there. If you can make a game winner in a Final Four game, along with being a DPOY in your conference....you've addressed some major voids.

I'd love to see the response from Coaches on the "rankings" of the Portal. I'm sure there would be a heavy side eye and head shaking going on.
Yeah I would say rankings would vary a lot. Like you said program and fit is more important than anything. A lot of people don’t like Butler’s numbers but IMO he’s a winner and those aren’t easy to come by. No telling how this roster will play together but it’s pretty solid considering we had 0 players 3 weeks ago.

Yeah I would say rankings would vary a lot. Like you said program and fit is more important than anything. A lot of people don’t like Butler’s numbers but IMO he’s a winner and those aren’t easy to come by. No telling how this roster will play together but it’s pretty solid considering we had 0 players 3 weeks ago.
I love Rob Dillingham's game but I can tell you this--Butler is not going to have to be told to leave ball side corner down 1 pt under a minute left in a game--Rob killed the team with those hero gambles and plays. Now the most annoying aspect is that didn't change from November to March....and why?

Talent is obviously important but if you let talented people get away with breakdowns because you are afraid to coach your best players tough/tell them the truth, then you won't get anything from that talent.

If we don't add anyone else at all, I think this is an 8/9 seed type team. If we get Robinson, I think we could be Top 15-20, maybe better. All I know is I'm excited to see this team play.
He’s a pretty classic spot up shooter, not sure he adds any dynamic that doesn’t already exist. Nothing wrong with having more of it to be sure, but don’t see the path to him taking you from an 8/9 seed (your prediction) to a 4/5 which would be top 15/20. Not saying he wouldn’t be a solid piece or anything, just saying that’s a pretty massive jump from 8/9 to 4/5.

If we don't add anyone else at all, I think this is an 8/9 seed type team. If we get Robinson, I think we could be Top 15-20, maybe better. All I know is I'm excited to see this team play.
With Robinson, I could see this team soaring like those 2003/2004 type teams that had a ton of good players, but no super studs.

I'm okay with that. We'll have 7 or 8 really competent players when it's all said and done. That's enough to win 25 games in year one, which I'll gladly take.

What'd you want OP? 7 of the top 30? top 40?

Also, we didn't get 7 of the top 150. We have 7 of the top 125. Pretty damn good in what, 3 weeks.
Personally wouldn't mind 7 of the top 30, but I think we will be just fine. I'd rather have 13 people with no rankings who want to be here and respect the opportunity than 13 people who care more about the next step than the journey that gets them there

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
if we can add two studs to this roster we could be a top 10 team. Two guys who can break their man down and score play defense

Reactions: RunninRichie
I love Rob Dillingham's game but I can tell you this--Butler is not going to have to be told to leave ball side corner down 1 pt under a minute left in a game--Rob killed the team with those hero gambles and plays. Now the most annoying aspect is that didn't change from November to March....and why?

Talent is obviously important but if you let talented people get away with breakdowns because you are afraid to coach your best players tough/tell them the truth, then you won't get anything from that talent.
I question how much time Calipari even put into defense with last years team. It makes no sense that we played fairly good defense the majority of his tenure, but the last 4-5 years couldn’t guard a basic screen. I know some of that is on the players but it happened with a couple different groups. It will be nice having a team with multiple defenders again.

I question how much time Calipari even put into defense with last years team. It makes no sense that we played fairly good defense the majority of his tenure, but the last 4-5 years couldn’t guard a basic screen. I know some of that is on the players but it happened with a couple different groups. It will be nice having a team with multiple defenders again.
Cal was trying to bail in Jan, Feb, I doubt he cared about teaching defense at all.

- 22.) Brandon Garrison
- 33.) Otega Oweh
- 47.) Lamont Butler
- 69.) Andrew Carr
- 86.) Amari Williams
- 89.) Koby Brea
- 125.) Kerr Kriisa

Put this in your pipe and smoke it….

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT