ADVERTISEMENT

22-23 Cats, ceiling/floor for each player

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
Each player has a maximum (reasonable) potential they can reach next year, and likewise a minimum level of success they should achieve. Obviously injuries can be a factor but are nearly impossible to predict, and opportunity is also a factor. And so how close a player comes to his floor/ceiling depends both on his own improvement (lack of) as well as the play of his teammates he is competing for PT with.

Oscar T. - What more can the NPOY do (for an encore)? Despite his amazing season, Oscar was mostly limited to around the basket, although he did seem proficient at those 15'-16' elbow jumpers if open. Oscar's take-away from NBA teams to extend his range, Cal's interpretation for him to be a threat away from the basket. To keep his star happy, I expect we see Oscar in more pick & roll opportunities, where he will be allowed to shoot some jumpers (16'-21') or put the ball on the floor. Don't expect Oscar to become KAT (NBA version) hitting lots of 3's, but don't be shocked if he makes a few. His biggest asset is his offensive rebounding, so while he may spend a little more time outside, don't expect him to park himself out there taking himself out of so many rebounding chances.
Ceiling: 32mpg, 18ppg, 15rpg, 2 blk, 0.4 3's at 35%
Floor: 30mpg, 15ppg, 12rpg, 1 blk, 0.1 3's at 20%

Toppin - He shared the PF spot last year, and that is certainly a possibility next year too, but I imagine he wants to be "the man" at the PF. The athleticism is there. And he is a good defender. Can he make jumpers (consistently), can he put it on the floor and be more than a high-flyer? Don't expect night&day improvement, but improvement is reasonable to expect. But his impact (& PT) may depend on the improvement of another player (Collins).
Ceiling: 28mpg, 13ppg, 7rpg, 1 blk, 0.5 3's at 37%
Floor: 20mpg, 8ppg, 4rpg, 0.5 blk, 0.2 3's at 25%

Ware - Ware is what he is, a hard working lunch-pail blue-collar backup. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have a role or contribute. He does. He not only backs up Oscar, but he also sometimes is that needed physical presence. Although to some degree like Toppin, his role could be slightly be deminished if Collins 'shows-out'.
Ceiling: 10mpg, 3ppg, 3rpg, 0.5 blk, FT's at 60%
Floor: 5mpg, 1.5ppg, 1.5rpg, FT's at 40%

Collins - Coming in as a 5* projected 1st round pick may have set expectations too high (in some eyes) for Collins, but he clearly was not physically ready (strong enough) to make an impact in college (Yet), so obviously not ready to do that at the next level (yet). There is debate as to whether or not he showed much in skill last year, but what is not in debate is that he didn't have a lot of opportunities in 6mpg, but did see a few flashes of his athleticism. But if he is stronger next year (maybe a BIG "IF"), then maybe we won't recognize his game impact. Can he overtake Toppin at the PF? Can he provide quality minutes as Oscar's main backup? Can he live up to the 5* ranking?
Ceiling: 26mpg, 12ppg, 9rpg, 3 blk, 0.5 3's at 35%
Floor: 12mpg, 5ppg, 3rpg, 1 blk, 0.1 3's at 20%

Livingston - FR are much more difficult to predict since we've not seen them play at the college level yet (see Collins, Askew, Boston, SGA, Ulis). Livingston looks to have a college ready body. We've all seen the 3pt drill (& come up w/ our own impressions). Will he be a stretch 4? Will he start at the 3? Could he play some 2G? Can he make guarded 3's? Is he over hyped (Boston)? Or is he ready (MKG, T.Jones)? But with only 10 guys, he will have to contribute some. He may have the widest gap from ceiling to floor on the team. And IMO, he may be the player who most determines how good we are.
Ceiling: 26mpg, 13ppg, 7rpg, 1 blk, 0.7 3's at 36%
Floor: 10mpg, 3ppg, 2rpg, 0.2 3's at 25%

Reeves - Adding such a scorer is a new concept, but one we should get used to, now for our 2nd year in a row we have added a mid-major's #1 option. And while Reeves does not have the steady 4 year track record Grady had, he did have a very good season last year making 40% of his 3's as part of his 20ppg. On film he looks like he can create his own shot, go to the rim, and did so even vs high level opponents (i.e. Wisc). He also has good length. Can that translate consistently at the High D-1 level, and will he work equally hard on both ends of the floor?
Ceiling: 26mpg, 13ppg, 3rpg, 2.0 3's at 40%
Floor: 14mpg, 7ppg, 2rpg, 1.0 3's at 33%

Fredrick - Very good 3pt shooter (check). Proven High D-1 (check). Track record of injuries (sadly, check). Fredrick is the "newcomer" we probably would most know what to expect from, except for that one thing (can he stay healthy?). Are his injuries a sign of being soft or injury prone, or are they just freak unrelated injuries? Is his defense good enough for Cal to want to keep him on the floor? I am not going to assume any major injuries here.
Ceiling: 26mpg, 12ppg, 2.5 3's at 48%
Floor: 16mpg, 7ppg, 1.5 3's at 40%

Theiro - This kid was a late addition, and relative unknown. But he has good size. Is he a late bloomer, or simply a practice player? Needless to say he came here knowing he would be a 3-4 year player, and so willing to accept that role.
Ceiling: 5mpg, 2ppg
Floor: 1mpg

Wallace - Wallace stock rose the past few months, and all the signs are is that he has a lot to offer. Defensive minded. Will drive and finish. Can shoot. "A dog" mentality. Comparisons have been made to Tyty (healthy version), to Maxey, and others.
Ceiling: 30mpg, 14ppg, 3rpg, 5apg, 1.2 3's at 40%
Floor: 24mpg, 9ppg, 2rpg, 3apg, 0.5 3's at 30%

Wheeler - I'm not sure there has been a more highly both criticized yet applauded Cat. Some want him to be limited to backup role, others think he could be 1st Team all-SEC & honorable mention AA. Some think he found his shot (making 40% of his 3's the last 2 months of the season) and others look at his 3pt-form and compare him to a middle school girl. But last year, when we had a healthy team and his teammates were playing well, Wheeler usually also looked really good. And when others struggled (for whatever reason), so did Wheeler. So I think the better, the more contribution we get from the above 8 guys (I said 8, because we know what the top guy will do), the better we will see Wheeler play. But we do need him to play and contribute.
Ceiling: 32mpg, 12ppg, 8apg, 0.8 3's at 35%
Floor: 26mpg, 9ppg, 6apg, 0.4 3's at 25%

Interesting take. Well done. I think Toppin and Fredrick might have slightly higher ceilings. You've given Livingston a "Bryce Hopkins" floor, and I think he is better than that. Reeves might have both a higher ceiling and a lower floor.

Anyway, your "Ceiling" team is National Champs and your "Floor" team is maybe Sweet 16, waiting to see who they get match-up-wise for the Elite Eight.

Oh yeah, to defuse this early:

CCC- Ceiling: "Coach" from Cheers. Floor: Bozo the Clown. That feel better folks?

Last edited:
Seems about right to me OP.

I think Collins will improve a lot and will make things interesting with Toppin at the 4 for sure.

Wheeler is an enigma. I like Wheeler (I seem to be in the minority) and feel bad he got blamed for all bad with UK last year even though his stats in the 8 losses were better than the other 3 guards by far. That doesn't win him any beauty contests on the court as his turnovers were glaring against St. Pete late, but that was due to the other guys not getting involved IMO. He should not have to be the man in a close game, but a guy who gets it to the guys who need to be the man.

I hope we have a healthy team and the guys hit their 3s at a solid clip although I am not one of those 3 point obsessed people that we have on this forum. With Oscar an da potentially strong interior game with some guys that can get to the basketball as well the 3s should be open so the guys just need to hit them at a decent clip.

Interesting take. Well done. I think Toppin and Fredrick might have slightly higher ceilings. You've given Livingston a "Bryce Hopkins" floor, and I think he is better than that. Reeves might have both a higher ceiling and a lower floor.

Anyway, your "Ceiling" team is National Champs and your "Floor" team is maybe Sweet 16, waiting to see who they get match-up-wise for the Elite Eight.

Oh yeah, to defuse this early:

CCC- Ceiling: "Coach" from Cheers. Floor: Bozo the Clown. That feel better folks?
I like your thoughts here, but I disagree on one thing. I don't think Fredrick has a higher ceiling than what the OP posted.

He averaged .3 points per minute two years ago for Iowa.

As a freshman, he averaged .36 points per minute.

As a freshman, he played 29 minutes per game at Iowa and averaged 10.2 points per game, while shooting very efficiently at 48%, 46% from three, and 80% from the line.

The argument that he's going to be more efficient is only slightly true.

We've already seen Fredrick's ceiling. He's an 8 to 10 ppg guy, and that's with him playing 25 minutes a game. I'm good with that, too. I'm happy we have a cold-blooded sniper for next year's team.

And if Toppin has a higher ceiling than 13 and 7, his ceiling starts to get into Julius Randle territory. That would be amazing, but I'm expecting something in the 11 points and 6 rebounds range.

My projections:

Oscar - 14, 13 (won't need to rebound as much with Toppins and Collins improving

Toppin - 11, 6

Reeves - 10, 3

Wallace - 13, 3

Wheeler - 11, 6 apg

--------

Livingston - 7, 4

Fredrick - 7, 1

Collins - 6, 4

Ware - 2, 3

Thiero - 1, 1

77 to 79 points per game.

I think we'll have pretty good balance. I'm still hoping we get a Dillingham reclass.

Last edited:
Not everyone will hit their ceiling, not possible, as they are all linked where if some guy shows-out then he is taking minutes from someone else (241min for ceilings, and 158min for floors).
And yes to above, I did make Livingston's "floor" what Hopkins "actual" was. (Floor = worst case, Ceiling = best case) I think for most, they will fall somewhere in the middle of their floor and ceiling. See below what those medians would be for each.
Toppin has 22 blocks in 924 minutes for UK in 2 years, that is 1 every 42 minutes. So 1 in 28 minutes would be exactly a 50% increase.

Medians:
Oscar 30mpg, 16.5ppg, 13.5rpg, 1.5blk, 0.25 3's at 27.5%
Toppin 24mpg, 10.5ppg, 5.5rpg, 0.8blk, 0.35 3's at 31%
Ware 7.5mpg, 2.2ppg, 2.3rpg, 0.3blk, 50% FT
Collins 19mpg, 8.5ppg, 6.0rpg, 2.0blk, 0.3 3's at 27.5%
Livingston 18mpg, 8ppg, 4.5rpg, 0.5blk, 0.45 3's at 30.5%
Reeves 20mpg, 10ppg, 2.5rpg, 1.5 3's at 36.5%
Fredrick 21mpg, 9.5ppg, 2.0 3's at 44%
Theiro 3mpg, 1ppg
Wallace 27mpg, 11.5ppg, 2.5rpg, 4.0apg, 0.85 3's at 35%
Wheeler 29mpg, 10.5ppg, 7apg, 0.6 3's at 30%

Not everyone will hit their ceiling, not possible, as they are all linked where if some guy shows-out then he is taking minutes from someone else (241min for ceilings, and 158min for floors).
And yes to above, I did make Livingston's "floor" what Hopkins "actual" was. (Floor = worst case, Ceiling = best case) I think for most, they will fall somewhere in the middle of their floor and ceiling. See below what those medians would be for each.
Toppin has 22 blocks in 924 minutes for UK in 2 years, that is 1 every 42 minutes. So 1 in 28 minutes would be exactly a 50% increase.

Medians:
Oscar 30mpg, 16.5ppg, 13.5rpg, 1.5blk, 0.25 3's at 27.5%
Toppin 24mpg, 10.5ppg, 5.5rpg, 0.8blk, 0.35 3's at 31%
Ware 7.5mpg, 2.2ppg, 2.3rpg, 0.3blk, 50% FT
Collins 19mpg, 8.5ppg, 6.0rpg, 2.0blk, 0.3 3's at 27.5%
Livingston 18mpg, 8ppg, 4.5rpg, 0.5blk, 0.45 3's at 30.5%
Reeves 20mpg, 10ppg, 2.5rpg, 1.5 3's at 36.5%
Fredrick 21mpg, 9.5ppg, 2.0 3's at 44%
Theiro 3mpg, 1ppg
Wallace 27mpg, 11.5ppg, 2.5rpg, 4.0apg, 0.85 3's at 35%
Wheeler 29mpg, 10.5ppg, 7apg, 0.6 3's at 30%
I love these types of posts! Well done, my friend!

I posted this the other day as my prediction for points (rounded to the nearest whole number):

1 Tshiebwe- 17
2 Wallace- 12
3 Wheeler- 11
4 Fredrick- 10
5 Livingston- 9
6 Toppin- 8
7 Reeves- 7
8 Collins- 4
9 Ware- 2
10 Thiero- 0
Total- 80

This is my minutes per game average prediction (just an estimate, give or take a few minutes for each):

G Wheeler(30)/Wallace(10)
G Wallace(20)/Fredrick(20)
F Livingston(20)/Reeves(20)
F Toppin(25)/Collins(15)
F Tshiebwe(30)/Ware(10)

Tshiebwe- 30
Wheeler- 30
Wallace- 30
Toppin- 25
Livingston- 20
Fredrick- 20
Reeves- 20
Collins- 15
Ware- 10
Thiero- 0

I like your thoughts here, but I disagree on one thing. I don't think Fredrick has a higher ceiling than what the OP posted.

He averaged .3 points per minute two years ago for Iowa.

As a freshman, he averaged .36 points per minute.

As a freshman, he played 29 minutes per game at Iowa and averaged 10.2 points per game, while shooting very efficiently at 48%, 46% from three, and 80% from the line.

The argument that he's going to be more efficient is only slightly true.

We've already seen Fredrick's ceiling. He's an 8 to 10 ppg guy, and that's with him playing 25 minutes a game. I'm good with that, too. I'm happy we have a cold-blooded sniper for next year's team.

And if Toppin has a higher ceiling than 13 and 7, his ceiling starts to get into Julius Randle territory. That would be amazing, but I'm expecting something in the 11 points and 6 rebounds range.

My projections:

Oscar - 14, 13 (won't need to rebound as much with Toppins and Collins improving

Toppin - 11, 6

Reeves - 10, 3

Wallace - 13, 3

Wheeler - 11, 6 apg

--------

Livingston - 7, 4

Fredrick - 7, 1

Collins - 6, 4

Ware - 2, 3

Thiero - 1, 1

77 to 79 points per game.

I think we'll have pretty good balance. I'm still hoping we get a Dillingham reclass.
Great post as usual SOS!

I think you are probably right about Fredrick, but I might bump his ceiling just slightly because he played most of his last season at Iowa injured (just gutting it out with an injury a la Grady at the end of last season). His ceiling is him being a 100% healthy and playing 30 minutes a game. In that scenario, he could score slightly better. Probably a 12ppg ceiling, IMHO.

I think his floor is him being rusty all season, not quite back to himself, but gutting it out and averaging 5ppg.

Optimistically speaking, I think he is right at double digits per game.

I am extremely high on Fredrick, if he is 100%.

I may very well be wrong and if I am I'll be the first to admit it. Reeves could be a big surprise and upgrade to Grady if he stays healthy. Also I can see Wheelers asissts increase because of better finishers and shooters.

Each player has a maximum (reasonable) potential they can reach next year, and likewise a minimum level of success they should achieve. Obviously injuries can be a factor but are nearly impossible to predict, and opportunity is also a factor. And so how close a player comes to his floor/ceiling depends both on his own improvement (lack of) as well as the play of his teammates he is competing for PT with.

Oscar T. - What more can the NPOY do (for an encore)? Despite his amazing season, Oscar was mostly limited to around the basket, although he did seem proficient at those 15'-16' elbow jumpers if open. Oscar's take-away from NBA teams to extend his range, Cal's interpretation for him to be a threat away from the basket. To keep his star happy, I expect we see Oscar in more pick & roll opportunities, where he will be allowed to shoot some jumpers (16'-21') or put the ball on the floor. Don't expect Oscar to become KAT (NBA version) hitting lots of 3's, but don't be shocked if he makes a few. His biggest asset is his offensive rebounding, so while he may spend a little more time outside, don't expect him to park himself out there taking himself out of so many rebounding chances.

Toppin - He shared the PF spot last year, and that is certainly a possibility next year too, but I imagine he wants to be "the man" at the PF. The athleticism is there. And he is a good defender. Can he make jumpers (consistently), can he put it on the floor and be more than a high-flyer? Don't expect night&day improvement, but improvement is reasonable to expect. But his impact (& PT) may depend on the improvement of another player (Collins).

Ware - Ware is what he is, a hard working lunch-pail blue-collar backup. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have a role or contribute. He does. He not only backs up Oscar, but he also sometimes is that needed physical presence. Although to some degree like Toppin, his role could be slightly be deminished if Collins 'shows-out'.

Collins - Coming in as a 5* projected 1st round pick may have set expectations too high (in some eyes) for Collins, but he clearly was not physically ready (strong enough) to make an impact in college (Yet), so obviously not ready to do that at the next level (yet). There is debate as to whether or not he showed much in skill last year, but what is not in debate is that he didn't have a lot of opportunities in 6mpg, but did see a few flashes of his athleticism. But if he is stronger next year (maybe a BIG "IF"), then maybe we won't recognize his game impact. Can he overtake Toppin at the PF? Can he provide quality minutes as Oscar's main backup? Can he live up to the 5* ranking?

Livingston - FR are much more difficult to predict since we've not seen them play at the college level yet (see Collins, Askew, Boston, SGA, Ulis). Livingston looks to have a college ready body. We've all seen the 3pt drill (& come up w/ our own impressions). Will he be a stretch 4? Will he start at the 3? Could he play some 2G? Can he make guarded 3's? Is he over hyped (Boston)? Or is he ready (MKG, T.Jones)? But with only 10 guys, he will have to contribute some. He may have the widest gap from ceiling to floor on the team. And IMO, he may be the player who most determines how good we are.

Reeves - Adding such a scorer is a new concept, but one we should get used to, now for our 2nd year in a row we have added a mid-major's #1 option. And while Reeves does not have the steady 4 year track record Grady had, he did have a very good season last year making 40% of his 3's as part of his 20ppg. On film he looks like he can create his own shot, go to the rim, and did so even vs high level opponents (i.e. Wisc). He also has good length. Can that translate consistently at the High D-1 level, and will he work equally hard on both ends of the floor?

Fredrick - Very good 3pt shooter (check). Proven High D-1 (check). Track record of injuries (sadly, check). Fredrick is the "newcomer" we probably would most know what to expect from, except for that one thing (can he stay healthy?). Are his injuries a sign of being soft or injury prone, or are they just freak unrelated injuries? Is his defense good enough for Cal to want to keep him on the floor? I am not going to assume any major injuries here.

Theiro - This kid was a late addition, and relative unknown. But he has good size. Is he a late bloomer, or simply a practice player? Needless to say he came here knowing he would be a 3-4 year player, and so willing to accept that role.

Wallace - Wallace stock rose the past few months, and all the signs are is that he has a lot to offer. Defensive minded. Will drive and finish. Can shoot. "A dog" mentality. Comparisons have been made to Tyty (healthy version), to Maxey, and others.

Wheeler - I'm not sure there has been a more highly both criticized yet applauded Cat. Some want him to be limited to backup role, others think he could be 1st Team all-SEC & honorable mention AA. Some think he found his shot (making 40% of his 3's the last 2 months of the season) and others look at his 3pt-form and compare him to a middle school girl. But last year, when we had a healthy team and his teammates were playing well, Wheeler usually also looked really good. And when others struggled (for whatever reason), so did Wheeler. So I think the better, the more contribution we get from the above 8 guys (I said 8, because we know what the top guy will do), the better we will see Wheeler play. But we do need him to play and contribute.
I think you're reaching on toppin.
I can also see Wallace closer to the 16/17 mark

Great write-up

Reactions: G-PIP

That's some nice work, JW. Enjoyed reading it.

I think we will average 70-75 point.

Oscar- 15
Toppin- 10
Wallace - 12
Wheeler- 8
Fredrick- 8
Livingston- 7
Collins- 5
Reeves- 5
Ware-4
And whomever gets some of the rest.

I think Livingston is going to be a factor from day 1. He is clearly physically ready, not just for college, he has the body of a pro right now. But as we’ve seen, physical profile isn’t everything (Jarred Vanderbilt). However, I think Livingston is above average for a college 3 right now at putting the ball on the floor. He really does remind me of MKG in transition and I think that’s where he’ll thrive, especially with a PG in Wheeler who will push at every opportunity. What will determine whether he is a mid 20s draft pick or a top 10 pick is whether he can knock down shots. If he can, he’ll be one of the most dangerous players in CBB by the end of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT