ADVERTISEMENT

2025 7' recruit.

Gotta love Pope's work ethic. It's incredible to watch.

Once these recruits see his system this year, I think we start landing elite 5 star guys. I could see Pope landing the two best Kentucky high school seniors each year, and then getting two of the top 30 guys as well. Then he'll also add 2-4 portal guys each season.

You know guys like Perry and Noah are going to stick around. I love that. It provides a wonderful foundation to long-term retention.

I'd prefer that we get our bigs either as developmental freshmen (Moreno) who have realistic expectations in year 1 and 2, elite guys in the caliber of a Bam or Towns, or portal guys.

I'm not really sold on going after bigs in the 10-30 recruiting range of an incoming recruiting class (which is where Bradshaw would have been in a better freshmen class). They're just not physically ready.

Once these recruits see his system this year, I think we start landing elite 5 star guys. I could see Pope landing the two best Kentucky high school seniors each year, and then getting two of the top 30 guys as well. Then he'll also add 2-4 portal guys each season.

You know guys like Perry and Noah are going to stick around. I love that. It provides a wonderful foundation to long-term retention.
What's never bad is grabbing the best from the state every year.

There's room on a 13-15 man roster.

I would love to see us get Moreno and either Reibe or Bundalo who both seem to have a little more mobility and range than Moreno, but really not elite talent or athleticism that would tell you they are likely OAD. My concern is that all of them want to be OAD wherever they go and that means they won't go to the same place.

But, I can't help drooling over Chris Cenac, who just seems to have a fire that maybe only Bundalo approaches. Would not hurt my feelings to get him at the 5.

By the way, wouldn't it be great to get Moreno, Johnson and Magwood after getting Perry and Noah this year. I am not a "got to have Ky boys". But, I have to say it would be cool having real Ky talent on the roster. I also think it could help Pope transition away from the OAD's or at least the total roster reformation every year.

I'd prefer that we get our bigs either as developmental freshmen (Moreno) who have realistic expectations in year 1 and 2, elite guys in the caliber of a Bam or Towns, or portal guys.

I'm not really sold on going after bigs in the 10-30 recruiting range of an incoming recruiting class (which is where Bradshaw would have been in a better freshmen class). They're just not physically ready.
At the 4 and 5, I really want a physically mature upperclassman, so I think the game plan for 25-26 should be to sign a portal guy at the 4 as the starter and then hope Garrison is back at the 5. Then sign Moreno and Reibe (or someone similar) as the backups, and maybe one long term project type player as your fifth big. Something along those lines. And if Garrison leaves, then get a portal big to replace him.

What's never bad is grabbing the best from the state every year.

There's room on a 13-15 man roster.

Yep. And that’s what pope is going to do. In this day and age kids don’t stick around, your best bet to retain is the in state kids because in a state like UK they’re more likely to make more here than anywhere. Add in the few you can convince to come back and bam. 3-7 players yearly return.

Excellent assessment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT