ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Depth Chart

I think offensively they could be pretty good as some of the transfers have been very successful elsewhere but again SEC pitching is a different animal. I think there is also a chance they could add Griffin Merritt 1B/OF from Cincinnati. He was the AAC player of the year this year and I think there is significant interest at least on the UK side.

Pitching wise I completely agree they need some guys to step up. Harney, Guilfol and Harper will be really hard to replace. I think it’s NCAA or bust this year and to reach that goal they will need guys like Cotto, Hagenow, Smith, Strickland, to pitch up to their recruiting and draft rankings.

It could happen. The concerning thing is that hitting wise we have basically no core to build around. We're asking 9 guys to come in and face SEC pitching and to do extremely well at it. Even your 10th guy started just 12 games and had just 37 at bats. So, we've got to basically ask all of them to do what they've not done before. It's not impossible that they all, or enough of them, compete at a very high level, but we're asking a whole lot of them to do that.

Compare it a bit to UK basketball. Many years we rely on a ton of new faces to help us compete. Some years a lot of them, or maybe even all, do a great job at this and we have a really strong year. Other years, fewer, or even almost none, seem to be able to rise to the challenge and we struggle immensely. In baseball this year we're asking a ton of guys to do it. It's possible. They can, but the more guys you're asking to do so, the harder it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats8585
It could happen. The concerning thing is that hitting wise we have basically no core to build around. We're asking 9 guys to come in and face SEC pitching and to do extremely well at it. Even your 10th guy started just 12 games and had just 37 at bats. So, we've got to basically ask all of them to do what they've not done before. It's not impossible that they all, or enough of them, compete at a very high level, but we're asking a whole lot of them to do that.

Compare it a bit to UK basketball. Many years we rely on a ton of new faces to help us compete. Some years a lot of them, or maybe even all, do a great job at this and we have a really strong year. Other years, fewer, or even almost none, seem to be able to rise to the challenge and we struggle immensely. In baseball this year we're asking a ton of guys to do it. It's possible. They can, but the more guys you're asking to do so, the harder it is.
Definitely a lot of turnover and a lot of unknown. I think that’s is probably due to a couple reasons. One the staff has to feel like this is a make or break year and so they need experienced hitters. Two there were undoubtedly some clubhouse culture issues with the staff and players and recruiting struggles that led to mass turnover.

The way they fought coming down the stretch and having the least transfers out in the SEC seems to suggest the clubhouse issues have been much improved and recruiting seems to be improving as well. Have to hope everything goes right this year and they get into the tournament. You then could be looking at a group of Herrera, Waldschmidt, Smith, Pitre, Burkes, McCarthy, McCoy, Schram, etc. returning for 2024.

Very common. Almost positive the bullpen catcher the last several years under Mingione have been student managers.

Ok. Thought that our redshirt, or backup, catchers typically drew that assignment. Liebert being one that had the assignment in 2020 and 21.

Ok. Thought that our redshirt, or backup, catchers typically drew that assignment. Liebert being one that had the assignment in 2020 and 21.
Son's BP C in 5 years at a mid-major was student managers. Not sure but think it was like a work study thing, they got books or meals or some such.

Son's BP C in 5 years at a mid-major was student managers. Not sure but think it was like a work study thing, they got books or meals or some such.

I guess it makes sense with restricted travel. A student manager can go be a bullpen catcher and not count on your trip roster.

I was just thinking about our roster and we will, IIRC, have just 3 catchers with 2 of those being freshmen.

I guess it makes sense with restricted travel. A student manager can go be a bullpen catcher and not count on your trip roster.

I was just thinking about our roster and we will, IIRC, have just 3 catchers with 2 of those being freshmen.
There is another option that has not been made public yet.

Is that the Kendal Ewell that was at EKU last year? Kid is a stud! Was finalist for player of the year of the ASUN. My son started his career at EKU and Kendal was his roommate in 2021.

Is that the Kendal Ewell that was at EKU last year? Kid is a stud! Was finalist for player of the year of the ASUN. My son started his career at EKU and Kendal was his roommate in 2021.

That's the very same.

All right Comebakatz - Whats your updated version of the depth chart now that things have gotten more solidified?

Here is what I am guessing, without much depth at all, but just starters

CatcherBurkes
FirstGilliam
SecondFelker/Pitre
ThirdHerrera
ShortG. Smith
RightTotal crapshoot
CenterTotal crapshoot
LeftTotal crapshoot
DHChurch

FridayBosma
SaturdayCotto
SundayWilliams

Midweek
Moore
ReliefStrickland
CloserMartin

This is my likely very wrong prediction for a depth chart:

CatcherBurkesFawley
FirstGilliam
SecondHerreraFelker
ThirdG. Smith
ShortPitre
RightGray
CenterWaldschmidt
LeftEwell
DHChurchMcCoy
FridayBosma
SaturdayCotto
SundayHagenow
CloserWilliams

Infield is going to be a competition. Herrera, Pitre, Felker, and Smith can all likely play 2nd, 3rd or short and who hits will determine who plays those regularly.

Could see someone like Schramm getting some looks in the outfield, but the way I see it is that players that transfer here didn't transfer to sit the bench, especially in their last year, so they are likely to have a leg up over some others, especially freshmen.

Pitching is harder for me than the fielders, to by honest. Feels like there are a lot that could start, but it will all depend on who steps up over the fall and then keeps that going in the spring. I don't think anyone is outright safe as a starter at this point. Williams could slate there as well if healthy enough. He was our closer at one point a year ago, and if the pitching stays solid I could see him falling into that again in order to help him stay healthy and increase his longevity over the year.

Reactions: SeanCain
This is my likely very wrong prediction for a depth chart:

CatcherBurkesFawley
FirstGilliam
SecondHerreraFelker
ThirdG. Smith
ShortPitre
RightGray
CenterWaldschmidt
LeftEwell
DHChurchMcCoy
FridayBosma
SaturdayCotto
SundayHagenow
CloserWilliams

Infield is going to be a competition. Herrera, Pitre, Felker, and Smith can all likely play 2nd, 3rd or short and who hits will determine who plays those regularly.

Could see someone like Schramm getting some looks in the outfield, but the way I see it is that players that transfer here didn't transfer to sit the bench, especially in their last year, so they are likely to have a leg up over some others, especially freshmen.

Pitching is harder for me than the fielders, to by honest. Feels like there are a lot that could start, but it will all depend on who steps up over the fall and then keeps that going in the spring. I don't think anyone is outright safe as a starter at this point. Williams could slate there as well if healthy enough. He was our closer at one point a year ago, and if the pitching stays solid I could see him falling into that again in order to help him stay healthy and increase his longevity over the year.
Isaiah Byars will have a say in IF competition too.

@Derek Terry @Seamhead_Ninja have you guys heard any info about who we will be playing in our fall scrimmages or what the dates for those games will be? Also, do you have insight into who we will be facing to open the 2023 season and who any of our other out of conference opponents will be? Thanks again for all the great content you bring to this board.

@Derek Terry @Seamhead_Ninja have you guys heard any info about who we will be playing in our fall scrimmages or what the dates for those games will be? Also, do you have insight into who we will be facing to open the 2023 season and who any of our other out of conference opponents will be? Thanks again for all the great content you bring to this board.
I’ve heard we may be traveling for one of the fall games. Don’t think those are set in stone yet though.

Fall Ball:

October 14: Marshall at Kentucky
October 22: Kentucky vs Xavier @Mason, Ohio (Prasco Park home of the Cincinnati Spikes). Game time 1300.

Reactions: parrott
ADVERTISEMENT