ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Depth Chart

Comebakatz3

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2008
Just thought I would get this out here to play with and look at. If there are mistakes, let me know, and we'll fix them. I'll try to edit as we go so we can fill in any holes or make any moves.

CatcherBurkesFawley
FirstGilliam
SecondHerreraFelker
ThirdG. Smith
ShortPitreApplegateByars
RightGrayMcCoy
CenterWaldschmidtMcCarthy
LeftEwellSchrammKim
DHChurchStanke

I think this is what we have for today at each position. I did not double list players that might be able to play multiple spots. I just kind of slid them where I thought they might likely be so we could kind of see where we are at. Someone like Church could play 1st while Applegate, Fawley and others could play 3rd. Durand could play OF given he has some decent speed. So, there is flexibility.

FridayHagenowGilesBosma
SaturdayCottoLogueHise
SundayLeeMartinT. Smith
ReliefStricklandNoveMooreHoweGannonFriedaByersLaffertyBlumH. Smith
CloserChavezWilliams

I put Stupp, T. Smith, and Williams on the third rung here because they will be coming off of injuries and may not be immediately available.

Typically there is a 35 man roster limit. In 2022 this was raised to 40 to accommodate the 2020 hold overs. I do not know if they will extend that again. Regardless, this (by my count) gives us 33. So, we could add a lot.

I took some time to color coordinate this. Here is your key:

Transfers
Freshmen
Redshirt Freshmen
Sophomore
Redshirt Sophomore
Junior
Senior

** Note Waldschmidt and Herrera will be sophomores in 2023 **

Last edited:
If Bosma comes back who do you think he replaces? Lee as Sunday stater? Great stuff

Hard to say. I don't honestly feel comfortable about any of those starters, or really the pitching staff as a whole. Hagenow has great stuff, but he walks too many batters and that gets him in trouble. So, if he gets that under control then I can see him on Fridays, which is why I slated him there. Still, I don't have a ton of confidence that he suddenly fixes that.

Cotto and Lee are similar in terms of their stats. Cotto threw 32 innings and Lee threw 35. Both gave up 28 runs, they had batting average against of .285 and .283, with Cotto being a touch lower. ERAs were 6.06 and 6.11, again, with Cotto being a touch lower having given up 22 earned to Lee's 24.

So... in all honesty, Bosma could/would replace any of those 3 because I don't think any of them have really proven that they have earned the right to stay a weekend starter. It would come down to the fall on which one he replaces, and I imagine it would be fluid throughout the year depending on who struggled.

One thing you might see is that both Cotto and Bosma are lefties, so it is possible the staff could prefer the 2 weekend lefties, or they might want to ensure they have more lefties out of the bullpen. That might depend on the development of other lefties. The lefties we have right now are Cotto, Bosma, Nove, and Byers. UK will also add 3 more freshmen lefties. So, not a lot of experience there, but there are a pretty good number of lefty arms. So, UK could just rely on the less experienced guys out of the bullpen and have 2 lefties start.

Im not sure how I feel about having Hagenow as a Friday night guy. But honestly, Im not sure UK has a true Friday night guy on the roster right now.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
I forgot to add Chavez to this. I went ahead and penciled him as the closer due to having some experience, but I am definitely not confident in that pick. I also think that Williams is likely a starter if he is healthy, but with him having the arm issue they may ease him back in and slide him into the closer role for a bit, which is why I have him there.

Im not sure how I feel about having Hagenow as a Friday night guy. But honestly, Im not sure UK has a true Friday night guy on the roster right now.

I think Hagenow fits the mold more than anyone we currently have. Opponents hit .194 against him. That is a really pretty number and was second lowest on the team to only Guilfoil. Unfortunately he also walked the most hitters with 33 in 28.2 innings, 13 more walks given up than the next guy. So, if he gets that problem ironed out then I think he can be the stud that we all thought he'd be when we got him.

Cotto has the ability too with that high velocity fastball, especially as a lefty, but things just haven't clicked for him.

Travis Smith was/is highly touted, but recovering from arm injuries is often a slow process. Not sure if he'll be ready.

So, we have some guys that could maybe be 'that guy,' but we just haven't seen them be consistent and put it all together. A long time between now and next February, so maybe they do.

Reactions: parrott
Good stuff.

I think teams can carry rosters of 35-40 again, but there are a few more exceptions this upcoming year. I think anyone over 35 has to be a senior who lost their season because of COVID.

On the roster, I don't think Carter Gilbert is part of this class any longer.

Just added Vineyard in as a closer, as well as adding Logan Martin (whom DT reminded me of) into the list of possible starters.

So, that gives UK 35 players for next year's roster, I believe. Could still add more, obviously, and could lose more. I feel like they still need to add quality starters.

How does everyone feel about adding a D3 player and a D2 player?

Good stuff.

I think teams can carry rosters of 35-40 again, but there are a few more exceptions this upcoming year. I think anyone over 35 has to be a senior who lost their season because of COVID.

On the roster, I don't think Carter Gilbert is part of this class any longer.

Thanks, I took Gilbert off of there.

That is interesting about the roster. UK could have 40 this year, but I believe that they were under that at maybe 39? Is the rule that you can have 40 active or does it have to be 40 including redshirts? Can't remember.

Just added Vineyard in as a closer, as well as adding Logan Martin (whom DT reminded me of) into the list of possible starters.

So, that gives UK 35 players for next year's roster, I believe. Could still add more, obviously, and could lose more. I feel like they still need to add quality starters.

How does everyone feel about adding a D3 player and a D2 player?
I'd understand any initial hesitation on players moving up to this level, but I don't know what else McGeary could've done to show he can hit. There have been a lot of Division II players get drafted over the years and he has more career home runs than anyone. Led the country in hits and homers again this year. I don't expect to see him hit 30 homers at UK next season, but I'd be really surprised if someone with that production over four years won't have some level of success at Kentucky next year.

We're stacked at Catcher. You've got to think one or two will transfer, hopefully not Burkes.

I knew the team was going to be drastically different next year, but not this much. Didn't put much thought to it during the season.

I'd understand any initial hesitation on players moving up to this level, but I don't know what else McGeary could've done to show he can hit. There have been a lot of Division II players get drafted over the years and he has more career home runs than anyone. Led the country in hits and homers again this year. I don't expect to see him hit 30 homers at UK next season, but I'd be really surprised if someone with that production over four years won't have some level of success at Kentucky next year.

I think my issue is that we are losing an absolute ton of production and so far we've started with:

D3 Pitcher with an ERA pushing 4, but did have 98 Ks.
D2 Hitter who, admittedly, couldn't have a much better resume out of D2.
Non-P5 pitcher that didn't pitch at all in 2022, and prior to that he had a 4.91 ERA (6th best on his team).
Non-P5 pitcher that did all right in a year or so at WKU, but didn't rise to the level of an all-conference performer.
Non-P5 Hitter who has shown okay power and was an All Conference player.

It isn't that these are necessarily bad pieces, but I'd feel much better about this whole thing if we were catching a few more big transfers to go along with these guys.

Last edited:
I think my issue is that we are losing an absolute ton of production and so far we've started with:

D3 Pitcher with an ERA pushing 4, but did have 98 Ks.
D2 Hitter who, admittedly, couldn't have a much better resume out of D2.
Non-P5 pitcher that didn't pitch at all in 2022, and prior to that he had a 4.91 ERA (6th best on his team).
Non-P5 pitcher that did all right in a year or so at WKU, but didn't rise to the level of an all-conference performer.
Non-P5 Hitter who has shown okay power and was an All Conference player.

It isn't that these are necessarily bad pieces, but I'd feel much better about this whole thing if we were catching a few more big transfers to go along with these guys.
I get that. Still a long way to go and several spots remaining.

Have to agree so far we’re not really moving the needle with these transfers and players coming back. Still some spots left, but I’m not all that optimistic for next season which is hopefully (this time) make or break for coach.

Reactions: SeanCain
We assuming Guilfoil will be drafted and turn pro? Pitching looks like crap . . . again. Sorry, but hard to be real optimistic.

We assuming Guilfoil will be drafted and turn pro? Pitching looks like crap . . . again. Sorry, but hard to be real optimistic.

We will see what happens. Would be a big change in our direction for next year if we get him, Ritter, and Estep back. I just don't expect it. I think Estep is most likely, but that is entirely speculation on my part.

Updated to add Grant Smith into the mix here. I slated him at third base in this depth chart, but as Derek indicated on his breaking news of the commitment, Smith is versatile and could play multiple spots.

Also, to note, I am not necessarily putting this Depth Chart as an indication of who is first string versus second string, etc. It is more of just a way to see who we have and where they might fit.

Bosma could very well return as well and bet on a healthier season. Everyone saw what he could be vs. UGA and LSU.

Very true. We kind of have some conflicting reports/opinions at this point on whether or not he'll be back.

I left him off, at the moment, due to those conflicting reports, but I'll be happy to put him in there if you'd prefer it.

Reactions: Crazycat68
Estep, Ritter, plastiak and bosma are all in their leverage year so even if they don't get drafted it's likely they'd make more money going out this year as an undrafted free agent than waiting till next year. I think the chance is almost 100% that if they get drafted they leave. I think at least 3 of the 4 get drafted, likely all 4.

Estep, Ritter, plastiak and bosma are all in their leverage year so even if they don't get drafted it's likely they'd make more money going out this year as an undrafted free agent than waiting till next year. I think the chance is almost 100% that if they get drafted they leave. I think at least 3 of the 4 get drafted, likely all 4.

The Covid year is tricky to me, so correct me if I am wrong, but don't Ritter and Estep still have 2 years left with a Covid year? Just talking through it... Estep was a 2020 freshman. So, call him a freshman again in 2021 and a sophomore this year. Ritter I think would be the same? So, they technically have one more year before their true leverage year. Again... correct me if I am wrong there.

Bosma and Plastiak were 2019 freshmen. 2020 would be their sophomore, and call it a second sophomore year in 2021. Then 2022 was a junior year. So, that makes this year their leverage year, but could come back.

The Covid year is tricky to me, so correct me if I am wrong, but don't Ritter and Estep still have 2 years left with a Covid year? Just talking through it... Estep was a 2020 freshman. So, call him a freshman again in 2021 and a sophomore this year. Ritter I think would be the same? So, they technically have one more year before their true leverage year. Again... correct me if I am wrong there.

Bosma and Plastiak were 2019 freshmen. 2020 would be their sophomore, and call it a second sophomore year in 2021. Then 2022 was a junior year. So, that makes this year their leverage year, but could come back.
You are correct. Think of it this way. Ritter and Estep are essentially draft eligible sophomores and Bosma and Plastiak are juniors. However, they are all a year older than they would normally be in those class designations.

So, for example, Bosma could have gone out instead of transferring to UK last year but didn't. So, now if he doesn't go this year, next year he will be even older and also have no leverage. Not great for MLB teams and draft stock. He was roommates with Sam Bachman at Miami Ohio and he was drafted #9 overall last year, pitched A ball last year after the draft, is in AA this year and will most likely be in AAA or even possibly big leagues next year. He was #9 overall so that's a fast progression, but if you are 23 years old, ideally for MLB teams you they want you playing at least AA ball, not college still. That way in a normal progression if you make it to the big leagues you've still got some years left to perform at that level.

Several of these guys are in predicaments and this summer will be hugely impactful for them. Especially Ritter and Estep. If Ritter hits like he hit last summer, he's gone for sure. If he doesn't he may be in a better position to come back and try to increase his stock. Same with Estep. If he shows out at the combine, etc. he may go high enough to make sense. If not, he may come back to improve his stock.

However, Bosma and Plastiak came back to increase their stock this past year when they could have gone last year and it probably didnt help and maybe even hurt, so it will be hard to know what the decision will be for Ritter and Estep.

I think Plastiak wishes he would have hit better this year, but I think he's stuck hoping he hits well enough in the draft league to show scouts hes good enough for a decent pick, but even if he doesnt, hes probably stuck having to go out anyway.

And Bosma is surely hoping he throws well enough in the cape to show scouts he's healthy and is the guy who pitched against TCU, UGA and LSU and his injury was why he pitched how he pitched in between. But, again, either way, he's probably stuck taking what he can get and going out anyway.

You are correct. Think of it this way. Ritter and Estep are essentially draft eligible sophomores and Bosma and Plastiak are juniors. However, they are all a year older than they would normally be in those class designations.

So, for example, Bosma could have gone out instead of transferring to UK last year but didn't. So, now if he doesn't go this year, next year he will be even older and also have no leverage. Not great for MLB teams and draft stock. He was roommates with Sam Bachman at Miami Ohio and he was drafted #9 overall last year, pitched A ball last year after the draft, is in AA this year and will most likely be in AAA or even possibly big leagues next year. He was #9 overall so that's a fast progression, but if you are 23 years old, ideally for MLB teams you they want you playing at least AA ball, not college still. That way in a normal progression if you make it to the big leagues you've still got some years left to perform at that level.

Several of these guys are in predicaments and this summer will be hugely impactful for them. Especially Ritter and Estep. If Ritter hits like he hit last summer, he's gone for sure. If he doesn't he may be in a better position to come back and try to increase his stock. Same with Estep. If he shows out at the combine, etc. he may go high enough to make sense. If not, he may come back to improve his stock.

However, Bosma and Plastiak came back to increase their stock this past year when they could have gone last year and it probably didnt help and maybe even hurt, so it will be hard to know what the decision will be for Ritter and Estep.

I think Plastiak wishes he would have hit better this year, but I think he's stuck hoping he hits well enough in the draft league to show scouts hes good enough for a decent pick, but even if he doesnt, hes probably stuck having to go out anyway.

And Bosma is surely hoping he throws well enough in the cape to show scouts he's healthy and is the guy who pitched against TCU, UGA and LSU and his injury was why he pitched how he pitched in between. But, again, either way, he's probably stuck taking what he can get and going out anyway.

Outstanding breakdown

And I will also add, that development and the transfer portal matter in this discussion too. If Ritter/Estep and maybe even Bosma and Plastiak were looking at potentially coming back to the team that just made that run in the SEC tourney, that might sway some decisions. But, looking at it now and knowing that the cupboard is bare and it's a compete unknown what the team will look like? A lot more likely to decide to take some money and go.

And I will also add, that development and the transfer portal matter in this discussion too. If Ritter/Estep and maybe even Bosma and Plastiak were looking at potentially coming back to the team that just made that run in the SEC tourney, that might sway some decisions. But, looking at it now and knowing that the cupboard is bare and it's a compete unknown what the team will look like? A lot more likely to decide to take some money and go.
I'm truly not trying to be mean when I say this, but I absolutely think Plastiak should jump at whatever money is offered. Those numbers weren't great overall but especially bad in the league. I also think, to an extent, UK has recruited in a way that suggests he won't be back. Gilliam, McGeary, Burkes, McCoy are all guys who are either primarily 1B or could play first if needed, so there's no shortage of options.

Selfishly, I'd love to see Chase come back. We all like having kids at UK who love everything about being a student-athlete here. But he turned 22 a few months ago and has seen his stock rise a lot. I think another year would do him a lot of good, especially in league play. But being invited to the MLB combine makes me think he'll get a signing bonus that he needs to take.

Selfishly, I'd love to see Chase come back. We all like having kids at UK who love everything about being a student-athlete here. But he turned 22 a few months ago and has seen his stock rise a lot. I think another year would do him a lot of good, especially in league play. But being invited to the MLB combine makes me think he'll get a signing bonus that he needs to take.
Eeh... if you look at who is at the combine, it's a lot of people with question marks. The sure fire big signing bonus people aren't there. I see the combine as being for teams to get a better look at people and answer questions about them to make a decision on whether or not they'll be on their board.

I'm truly not trying to be mean when I say this, but I absolutely think Plastiak should jump at whatever money is offered. Those numbers weren't great overall but especially bad in the league. I also think, to an extent, UK has recruited in a way that suggests he won't be back. Gilliam, McGeary, Burkes, McCoy are all guys who are either primarily 1B or could play first if needed, so there's no shortage of options.
Oh definitely - I agree. That's what I meant. All signs point to him taking any money (if offered) and going.

Eeh... if you look at who is at the combine, it's a lot of people with question marks. The sure fire big signing bonus people aren't there. I see the combine as being for teams to get a better look at people and answer questions about them to make a decision on whether or not they'll be on their board.
A few of the top guys aren't there, but many are. I think I counted like 31 of the top 50 guys on MLB pipeline who are all on the combine list. But yes, it should definitely give teams a better idea on guys who are likely to go on the second day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT