ADVERTISEMENT

#2 RB commits to UL??!!

Do you happen to know any battles or areas in Italy and the Pacific he served?

I am a big ww2 buff/nerd. They truly were the greatest generation, as are all veterans.

My dad hit the beach on DDay. Would never talk about that. But did say a little about other things that happed. One guy in his patoon received Medal of Honor. They were clearing a small town, 2 machine guns open up on them, all dove for cover except one man who dropped to a knee and took out bothappen. Talked about how cold it was in the Alps, getting low on food,

You are a good person for honoring your father.
Not as good as him . I’ve had several people tell me he was the best man they ever knew. After he died SO many people told me about things he had done for them and their families. Things nobody knew about because he did it discreetly. I feel like we’ve kinda hijacked the thread though so I’ll stop talking about him .

Last edited:
Would be cool to think. That’s nuts your dad was in in that man. Bad bad stuff right there.
My grandad told me a story about when he was in the Japanese prison camp .They put the American prisoners to work building an airstrip. Well the Americans didn’t want to do anything to help Japan kill other Americans or win the war . They were beaten unmercifully if they didn’t work , so they became masters at working their asses off without getting much done . If a guy had a pick he would see how many times he could hit the same hole , if a guy had a shovel he would shovel the dirt back where he had just dug . Of course when they were watched closely they couldn’t do that , but when no one was watching or watching from a distance, that’s what they did . The Japanese had all these engineers with clipboards and slide rules running around trying to figure out why they were falling so far behind on the project . The war ended and they were freed before the airstrip was finished.

My grandad told me a story about when he was in the Japanese prison camp .They put the American prisoners to work building an airstrip. Well the Americans didn’t want to do anything to help Japan kill other Americans or win the war . They were beaten unmercifully if they didn’t work , so they became masters at working their asses off without getting much done . If a guy had a pick he would see how many times he could hit the same hole , if a guy had a shovel he would shovel the dirt back where he had just dug . Of course when they were watched closely they couldn’t do that , but when no one was watching or watching from a distance, that’s what they did . The Japanese had all these engineers with clipboards and slide rules running around trying to figure out why they were falling so far behind on the project . The war ended and they were freed before the airstrip was finished.
That’s freaking awesome. Merica! Would love to hear more stories if you got some. F UL and the RB. lol

• Haha
Reactions: yoshukai
My dad hit the beach on DDay. Would never talk about that. But did say a little about other things that happed. One guy in his patoon received Medal of Honor. They were clearing a small town, 2 machine guns open up on them, all dove for cover except one man who dropped to a knee and took out bothappen. Talked about how cold it was in the Alps, getting low on food,
I knew an old man that was in Bastogne France during battle of the bulge. He honestly said that the cold was worse than the Germans. Dudes were starting fires in their fox holes to warm up knowing it would mean they would be open to artillery. He said it was psychological torture. Dudes would yell across the field to put out the fire but a guy just got soooo cold he didn't care anymore.

You'd have to see the face he made to understand how hard of choice that was.

Great story, I really enjoyed reading that. Everyone thinks about D-Day and stuff like that, but just like in everyday civilian life all those little things add up and help with victory.

Reactions: yoshukai
Everyone thinks about D-Day and stuff like that,
My Uncle from Morristown, Tenn. helped make me and my brother college sports fans.

He lost all of his left hand excepting his thumb to a grenade explosion on D-day.

Lived to be 99.

On a rare occasion in 1980, whilst breaking beans (he made miraculous use of that remaining thumb) he started talking about D-Day, in great and gory detail.

We all listened for two hours, maybe 10 relatives.

His older brother fought through to meet the Russians in Checkoslavakia, without a physical scratch. He suffered otherwise, though.

You either push Barnhart out or he’ll see to it UK falls down in this era. His time is done, and really be should have been moved out a long time ago.

You either get rid of him or he’s going to go down the “moral” way. It’s that simple.

Calipari already has everyone willing to lose for these reasons, football will be closely behind.

Get a winner who wants to go in guns blazing or be left behind. Louisville has already know they’ll do whatever they want and don’t care about any of this. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Jurich back in the picture honesty.

My Uncle from Morristown, Tenn. helped make me and my brother college sports fans.

He lost all of his left hand excepting his thumb to a grenade explosion on D-day.

Lived to be 99.

On a rare occasion in 1980, whilst breaking beans (he made miraculous use of that remaining thumb) he started talking about D-Day, in great and gory detail.

We all listened for two hours, maybe 10 relatives.

His older brother fought through to meet the Russians in Checkoslavakia, without a physical scratch. He suffered otherwise, though.

I hope you documented some of that stuff. Amazing stories from people who were there. Courageous men like you uncle are why we have the time and opportunities today to get upset and argue over mundane stuff like sports. God Bless your uncle and everyone like him! My grandfather served in the Pacific theater, he was a radio operator as our military hopped from island to island, one of the first guys on the beach. He never would talk about it.

You either push Barnhart out or he’ll see to it UK falls down in this era. His time is done, and really be should have been moved out a long time ago.

You either get rid of him or he’s going to go down the “moral” way. It’s that simple.

Calipari already has everyone willing to lose for these reasons, football will be closely behind.

Get a winner who wants to go in guns blazing or be left behind. Louisville has already know they’ll do whatever they want and don’t care about any of this. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Jurich back in the picture honesty.
it is bad enough that we have to put up with your garbage on the BB board
please do not post your drivel on the FB board

I hope you documented some of that stuff. Amazing stories from people who were there. Courageous men like you uncle are why we have the time and opportunities today to get upset and argue over mundane stuff like sports. God Bless your uncle and everyone like him! My grandfather served in the Pacific theater, he was a radio operator as our military hopped from island to island, one of the first guys on the beach. He never would talk about it.
My grandfather would tell some stories about ww2 but my dad never spoke of his time in Vietnam. He locked that chapter of his life away somewhere.

I hope you documented some of that stuff.
Lawrence was charismatic as Hell, and became kind of famous very late in life. Given his longevity, he was frequently featured in Knoxville media, including coverage of his trip to see the WWII monument in Washington in the early 2000’s.

He made the trip back to France for the anniversary in both 1994 and 2004.

[Edit] WOW. I had never checked to see if any of his news stories was preserved on YouTube, but here he is in his Big Orange tee shirt!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT