ADVERTISEMENT

1st choices

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
Pitino wasn't our 1st choice, or even our 2nd choice.
Cal wasn't our 1st choice (& his first 6 years were very good)

Many had doubts/concerns about both of them.

Reactions: Cawood86
If you aim high there’s a good chance you won’t get your first choice. Hurley just won back to back I’m sure he would like to go for a threepeat at UCONN, Wright retired because of what college basketball has become and so on. You have to go down your wish list first.

I just hope that regardless of what the media reports that Mitch is actually swinging for the fences and not just jumping at Scott Drew. If Drew is the pick, BBN will support him, however we’d all like to know the real truth about the coaching search come straight from Mitch. He may have partially redeemed himself over the last week but that doesn’t give him a pass moving forward.

Reactions: crestcat
Of course we should aim high, we are KENTUCKY BASKETBALL.
But it's not necessarily the end of the world if we don't get our 1st or even 2nd choice.

And even in the worst case scenario (BCG) we quickly (2 yrs) identified it wasn't working, moved on, and had an instant turn-around.

Reactions: crestcat
Of course we should aim high, we are KENTUCKY BASKETBALL.
But it's not necessarily the end of the world if we don't get our 1st or even 2nd choice.

And even in the worst case scenario (BCG) we quickly (2 yrs) identified it wasn't working, moved on, and had an instant turn-around.
Who do you hope we get as a coach?

I just hope that regardless of what the media reports that Mitch is actually swinging for the fences and not just jumping at Scott Drew. If Drew is the pick, BBN will support him, however we’d all like to know the real truth about the coaching search come straight from Mitch. He may have partially redeemed himself over the last week but that doesn’t give him a pass moving forward.
I agree with this. The problem is, you'll never see an AD or GM publicly saying "we thrilled to have gotten our third choice". So, yes, if Drew was Mitch's first and only choice, he should publicly own it and say how the search was conducted. Especially if he really wants to sell Drew to BBN.

Pitino wasn't our 1st choice, or even our 2nd choice.
Cal wasn't our 1st choice (& his first 6 years were very good)

Many had doubts/concerns about both of them.
I think Seton Hall's PJ Carlesimo was our first choice when Pitino was hired. Seton Hall had just lost in the championship game. He was a good coach at the time, but I'm glad we sidestepped that landmine.

As a sidenote: The New York Times (and other outlets) actually reported PJ had been hired.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
Who do you hope we get as a coach?
Hurley 1, Donovan 2. Well I guess Stevens is 2, but I don't see that one as realistic.
The negative for Donovan is his age (59). I would have added Few to this 1st tier, but he is 2yrs older than Donovan and likes that Northwest laid back lifestyle and is unlikely to leave it.
I see Drew in that 2nd tier of (5-6) coaches that I'm ok with.
I'd also consider skipping tier 2 (if we miss on tier 1), going with a young guy (35-45) who maybe only has one S16 or E8 (no F4's), but seems to have all the qualities you would want (low floor, but high ceiling).

Hurley 1, Donovan 2. Well I guess Stevens is 2, but I don't see that one as realistic.
The negative for Donovan is his age (59). I would have added Few to this 1st tier, but he is 2yrs older than Donovan and likes that Northwest laid back lifestyle and is unlikely to leave it.
I see Drew in that 2nd tier of (5-6) coaches that I'm ok with.
I'd also consider skipping tier 2 (if we miss on tier 1), going with a young guy (35-45) who maybe only has one S16 or E8 (no F4's), but seems to have all the qualities you would want (low floor, but high ceiling).
Hurley would be a grand slam, but it will be tough to get him to leave. Donovan imo wants the job after seeing that video of him talking about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT