ADVERTISEMENT

“Weight Of The World On Wagner & Edwards”

Dillingham and Sheppard are better than any of us thought they would be. Mitchell is legit. Reeves is still solid. Thiero looks fringe-NBA level and has taken a step forward.

All good signs so far. Wagner and Edwards don't have to be dominant from day one. We're in a really healthy position right now, provided the bigs get back ASAP. I haven't been this optimistic about a UK team since the Fox/Monk squad.

Dillingham and Sheppard are better than any of us thought they would be. Mitchell is legit. Reeves is still solid. Thiero looks fringe-NBA level and has taken a step forward.

All good signs so far. Wagner and Edwards don't have to be dominant from day one. We're in a really healthy position right now, provided the bigs get back ASAP. I haven't been this optimistic about a UK team since the Fox/Monk squad.
Only thing I really worried about with Rob was his slight build. However, he remedied that between Canada trip until now. Not sure how much weight he put on, but it was noticeable.

Dj and Justin haven't been hitting shots like they can but their effort is there. I like them both defensively. Hopefully, with time, their offense catches up. They just need to stay within the offense and not force things. They'll get shot attempts without going one on one to get their own. We need them and I think they'll adjust and step it up.

I love DJ and Edwards. The fact of the matter is that, Reed and Rob are better basketball players. There’s no crazy formula. It is what it is.
House money cal is bs. The bottom line is they are far better suited to the college game than Wagner and edwards. The over thinking stuff? Sometimes it looks like they’re not thinking. Cal has it all backward and is doing it intentionally to pump his guys instead of winning. Start reed and Rob let the others come off the bench and find their rythmn. I’ve seen it too much with cal. Start his nba lottery picks then when we’re down 10 put in the guys who can actually play now and put the pressure on them to bring us back. We re headed towards another second round out at this rate with cal

I agree 100% with you about Edwards and Wagner not having to be dominant. Edwards probably understands that, but DJ will continue jacking up 3 pointers like he is the best shooter on the team.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

You and me both, it feels really good to have a team that can actually shoot.

I would worry more if Cal hadn't hired Welch and let him help revamp our offense and defense. If you can't see the night and day difference, I don't know what to tell you.

I feel a lot better now about us figuring out how to play and get guys going as the season plays out. Think they will figure it out.

I would worry more if Cal hadn't hired Welch and let him help revamp our offense and defense. If you can't see the night and day difference, I don't know what to tell you.

I feel a lot better now about us figuring out how to play and get guys going as the season plays out. Think they will figure it out.
Just imagine when we get our 7 footers back! You can slide them onto the perimeter or slide them down in the dunkers spot. Won’t be able to help off on drives. If they do, throw the lob. Ugo will be primarily in the dunkers spot.

Just imagine when we get our 7 footers back! You can slide them onto the perimeter or slide them down in the dunkers spot. Won’t be able to help off on drives. If they do, throw the lob. Ugo will be primarily in the dunkers spot.
Not to mention on D they will be able to be a lot more aggressive with a shot blocker waiting in the paint if their guy gets by them. Have had a lot of steals as is. Guys will be able to gamble more confidently on passing lanes and pressuring the ball.

I love DJ and Edwards. The fact of the matter is that, Reed and Rob are better basketball players. There’s no crazy formula. It is what it is.
This. And if people weren't obsessed with recruiting rankings based on subjective opinions, it really wouldn't be that big of a deal. It's highly possible Wagner peaked as a freshman when he was #1 regardless of class, and that Edwards was just a miss. Possible. Remember, EJ Montgomery was a top 10 recruit. Total bust. BJ Boston? Shall I continue? Even Poythress - who I think is a perfect comparison for Edwards right now - was once talked about as a potential #1 pick in the draft as a top 10 recruit (sound familiar?) .... that said, we already know both Edwards and Wagner are off to the NBA regardless of this season's results .... I think that's what is so frustrating for fans, and also places pressure on all.

One thing that has put pressure on those 2 is the way Reed and Rob have come out of the gates so hot.

If you watched the Postgame Presser, Cal made it a point to say Reed and Rob DIDN'T have as much pressure on them coming in as DJ and Justin, that they were "playing with house money".

What are these 2 going to do when they have to face Yanich, Lebron, AD, Booker, Steph, Gigeous-Alexander, etc on a nightly basis if college is putting enough "pressure" on them???!!!!

It just amazes me that kids that have been ranked so high for so long SUDDENLY feel under the gun when the game gets tougher because AAU is NOT even close to what the next 2 levels are. They SHOULD have known that coming in!!

The difference in the 4 players is you either have CONFIDENCE in what you CAN DO or you DON'T!!!

Right now Reed and Rob HAVE IT and DJ and Justin are still trying to FIND IT. I'm HOPEFUL they will!!!

DJ and Edwards do have tremendous pressure on them right now. The full spotlight is on them to win for UK, as is the attention of the NBA and national media. Reed and Rob are not as directly in the light, allowing them some relief. However, if they maintain this level of play, the light will shift towards them and maybe provide some relief to DJ and Edwards, allowing them to better find their way.

I don't think we need to be too concerened about DJ and Justin. Both of their worst games was against KU where they both forced it. At least we have Dilly and Reed stepping up. I sais I was more concerened about Justin until I went and looked at the box scores so far. Throw out the KU game, and we really shouldn't be too up in arms.

Reactions: grevey35
Instead of switching W & E as starters with S & D, I’m curious how it would work if Cal switched half that combintion, Say play Reed and Wagner and E & D or visa versa? That way, we”d always have one of our best players on the floor?
The biggest thing Reed and Dilly have working for them, and us, is their chemistry playing together.

Would you really want to change that chemistry trying to get someone else going???

The entire team looks totally different when they are on the floor together.

Cal has actually done a little bit of that, and it only made Reed and Dillinham worse instead of making the others better.

Cal just needs to start his 5 best players right now, and substitute accordingly.

I do want to slightly stand up for Edwards….because although his offense has been ROUGH. His effort on defense and rebounding has been exemplary. Because he is 6’7 and we want to play 4 out on offense you need your power forward to be tall and rebound well so he is going to get every opportunity to figure things out.

However the negative view is that the things Edward and Wagner are struggling with aren’t easily fixed in-season. Edwards needs to greatly enhance his handle. He reminds me of Poythress and James Young who couldn’t ever dribble more than twice in a game without traveling. DJ is REALLY struggling with the athleticism of this higher level. He can’t drive by people right now and his elite skill coming into UK was finishing around the basket like a Kyrie Irving but the faster speeds have really disrupted his finishing ability.

This. And if people weren't obsessed with recruiting rankings based on subjective opinions, it really wouldn't be that big of a deal. It's highly possible Wagner peaked as a freshman when he was #1 regardless of class, and that Edwards was just a miss. Possible. Remember, EJ Montgomery was a top 10 recruit. Total bust. BJ Boston? Shall I continue? Even Poythress - who I think is a perfect comparison for Edwards right now - was once talked about as a potential #1 pick in the draft as a top 10 recruit (sound familiar?) .... that said, we already know both Edwards and Wagner are off to the NBA regardless of this season's results .... I think that's what is so frustrating for fans, and also places pressure on all.
Exactly.

One thing that has put pressure on those 2 is the way Reed and Rob have come out of the gates so hot.

If you watched the Postgame Presser, Cal made it a point to say Reed and Rob DIDN'T have as much pressure on them coming in as DJ and Justin, that they were "playing with house money".

What are these 2 going to do when they have to face Yanich, Lebron, AD, Booker, Steph, Gigeous-Alexander, etc on a nightly basis if college is putting enough "pressure" on them???!!!!

It just amazes me that kids that have been ranked so high for so long SUDDENLY feel under the gun when the game gets tougher because AAU is NOT even close to what the next 2 levels are. They SHOULD have known that coming in!!

The difference in the 4 players is you either have CONFIDENCE in what you CAN DO or you DON'T!!!

Right now Reed and Rob HAVE IT and DJ and Justin are still trying to FIND IT. I'm HOPEFUL they will!!!
Which is kinda stupid. I mean Reed is a double legacy. That would be quite a bit of pressure.

Reactions: catben
Instead of switching W & E as starters with S & D, I’m curious how it would work if Cal switched half that combintion, Say play Reed and Wagner and E & D or visa versa? That way, we”d always have one of our best players on the floor?
S&D work very well together; it would be silly to disrupt that as an attempt to aid W&D. Make W&D come off the bench so they don't have to face opposing teams best guards. Maybe facing lesser competition is what they need.

Last edited:
So they have the same problems as 19 year olds that are paying their own way in the world. Working check to check and maybe doing night school and such to try to make a life for themselves. I do not want to hear they have the weight of the world on their shoulders. They think that I am for sure. Maybe Cal should introduce them to people that actually have the weight of the world on them. Perspective is a big thing. It can free young people getting handed everything. They have free room and board, free scholarship, NIL money, do not want for much. Put it to them in a way they can get out of their own way and start just playing the game they love to play.

House money cal is bs. The bottom line is they are far better suited to the college game than Wagner and edwards. The over thinking stuff? Sometimes it looks like they’re not thinking. Cal has it all backward and is doing it intentionally to pump his guys instead of winning. Start reed and Rob let the others come off the bench and find their rythmn. I’ve seen it too much with cal. Start his nba lottery picks then when we’re down 10 put in the guys who can actually play now and put the pressure on them to bring us back. We re headed towards another second round out at this rate with cal
Tell it like it is.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
So they have the same problems as 19 year olds that are paying their own way in the world. Working check to check and maybe doing night school and such to try to make a life for themselves. I do not want to hear they have the weight of the world on their shoulders. They think that I am for sure. Maybe Cal should introduce them to people that actually have the weight of the world on them. Perspective is a big thing. It can free young people getting handed everything. They have free room and board, free scholarship, NIL money, do not want for much. Put it to them in a way they can get out of their own way and start just playing the game they love to play.
Cal sure has turned soft the last several years.

Reactions: catben
Offer what they have to a 19-year-old struggling to pay their way through school and watch them jump on that. Pressure is relative.

Edwards needs to get much stronger as he has trouble playing through contact.

Any bumping in the lane throws him off. I’d love to see him pull up for a 10 foot jumper.

Both players were a complete embarrassment vs the Cheating Fakebirds. If the coach wasn’t an absolute pompous fool, these over-rated bricklayers would have been riding pine & UK would have 1 more win.

I’m sure they do feel a ton of pressure but it is mostly self inflicted by them or their respective circles. The expectation for them to be a top draft pick has nothing to do with the fact they play at UK unless you consider Cal’s constant discussion of the NBA. If they are walking on the court each game and worrying about NBA scouts etc., they will struggle. Be 19 or 20 and enjoy your time and their God given ability will take over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT