ADVERTISEMENT

“We want to win banners in NASHVILLE”

Yes, that was awesome. I laughed at that dig.
Man I loved that line. For so many reasons.

He followed it up with National championship banners also of course.

Shots taken at Cal:

1. Maui
2. Nashville
3. Keeping opponents on their heels with our defense.

Did I miss any?

If you aren’t fired up after that, you aren’t a UK fan.

What really impresses me is that they truly understand all of the little things about Cal that drove us absolutely mad. And by mentioning them, they are basically publicly acknowledging that they agree with us. We aren't just a bunch of "Basketball Bennies", we know what is up.

BTW, if there could be any way possible, I would freaking love to track down a kid with Benny as either a first or last name and recruit him to join this team. It can even be a walk-on, I don't care. But Mark, please find us a "Benny".

What really impresses me is that they truly understand all of the little things about Cal that drove us absolutely mad. And by mentioning them, they are basically publicly acknowledging that they agree with us. We aren't just a bunch of "Basketball Bennies", we know what is up.

BTW, if there could be any way possible, I would freaking love to track down a kid with Benny as either a first or last name and recruit him to join this team. It can even be a walk-on, I don't care. But Mark, please find us a "Benny".
If there's one thing that makes me the happiest about the post-Cal era, it's that hopefully people let the term "basketball benny" die a quick death.

Meanwhile, some 500 miles south, in Fayetteville:

"Nashville? Nah, Little Prairie is on. Go send Bruiser to do the post-game presser, I don't have the time. Tell him to apologize to the Pig Nation for our first round loss or something. Hey Brad, did you walk the dogs?"

Cal openly declaring that he didn’t care about the SEC tournament was one of the most tone deaf things any coach could ever say. And that attitude showed with the crappy way we non-performed in the SECT in recent years.

I’m so glad those days are done. EVERY game should always matter at UK. And especially ones that are for the friggin conference tournament championship. Thankfully we once again have a coach who gets that.

Last edited:
Cal openly declaring that he didn’t care about the SEC tournament was one of the most tone deaf things any coach could ever say. And it showed with the crappy way we non-performed in the SECT in the years after he said it.

I’m so glad those days are done. EVERY game should always matter at UK. And especially ones that are for the friggin conference tournament championship. Thankfully we once again have a coach who gets that.
I don't think cal actually ever believed that. it was more like when a little kid loses and says well i wasn't trying anyway way wait till next time!.

Reactions: catzcan
Yep, it almost seems like he must’ve been reading this board every night with how in tune he is with what UK fans have been thinking.

He knows exactly what things we disliked about Cal … and is making it crystal clear that those things are done.

Cal openly declaring that he didn’t care about the SEC tournament was one of the most tone deaf things any coach could ever say. And it showed with the crappy way we non-performed in the SECT in the years after he said it.

I agree but think people are in for a rude awakening thinking UK is gonna dominate sec regular season or sec tourney going forward. League has improved too much. We should try to win though.

Man I loved that line. For so many reasons.

He followed it up with National championship banners also of course.

Shots taken at Cal:

1. Maui
2. Nashville
3. Keeping opponents on their heels with our defense.

Did I miss any?

If you aren’t fired up after that, you aren’t a UK fan.

He mentioned not playing for money or the NBA but instead playing for and appreciating what playing for KY means and how it will change their life.

Yep, it almost seems like he must’ve been reading this board every night with how in tune he is with what UK fans have been thinking.

He knows exactly what things we disliked about Cal … and is making it crystal clear that those things are done.

The thing about that is he didn't have to say those things (although I'm glad he did), it's what he believes anyway!

Last edited:
Do you think the Cal "gets it" now? I seriously doubt he understood a word Pope said, and if he did...he didn't give a shit. But that's who Cal is. You can't be "part" of this program when it's about you and your own glory.
He did up until 2012. And then it was like, "Ok, did what BBN wanted. Now it's MINE."

Nope, that's not how it works. EVER.

It just shows he knows before taking the job that just making NCAA tournaments and sending guys
to the NBA is not enough for a Kentucky coach. I thought his entire press conference was brilliant
in several ways. The days of our coach getting outsmarted by our opponent's coach are over.

Cal openly declaring that he didn’t care about the SEC tournament was one of the most tone deaf things any coach could ever say. And that attitude showed with the crappy way we non-performed in the SECT in recent years.

That's the thing. Fans pay to go see games to watch their team win THAT game. Thats the payoff, what's fun. Not to watch a practice session meant to prep the team for later in the season.

Do you think the Cal "gets it" now? I seriously doubt he understood a word Pope said, and if he did...he didn't give a shit. But that's who Cal is. You can't be "part" of this program when it's about you and your own glory.
He didn’t give a shit that’s why gtfo

Reactions: catzcan
We'd be sleeping right now if Drew was doing this presser
When I watched BYU playing Baylor on YouTube a few days ago I tried to imagine not knowing either coach's coaching history; just decide which of the two would be better at ky. I seen Pope as being the better choice.

• Love
Reactions: BlueSince92
Meanwhile, some 500 miles south, in Fayetteville:

"Nashville? Nah, Little Prairie is on. Go send Bruiser to do the post-game presser, I don't have the time. Tell him to apologize to the Pig Nation for our first round loss or something. Hey Brad, did you walk the dogs?"
Man, he’s gone, move on. You gonna keep that avatar?

It started you from the beginning I’m sure, which was a good amount of nothing before they arrived. Slide forward.
It did, and for whatever reason wouldn't let me navigate. I'm about an hour through now and I feel so much better about the hire, I would rather watch one of our own succeed over an outsider, he said all the right things so far for me to believe he can. I really hope he can talk to Big Z and get him back here. He would kill it in this system.

It did, and for whatever reason wouldn't let me navigate. I'm about an hour through now and I feel so much better about the hire, I would rather watch one of our own succeed over an outsider, he said all the right things so far for me to believe he can. I really hope he can talk to Big Z and get him back here. He would kill it in this system.
Said he was talking with the player from last year I think. Said all the right things and I knew he would because he played here.

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT