ADVERTISEMENT

“Train them, and trust them.” Larranaga

The complete opposite of the micromanaging, screaming idiot on the sidelines in Lexington.
Add that to the Danny Hurley interview at the Half where he stated "I looked at myself during our lull in Conference and I was wasting too much time focusing on the officials and not focused on my team". Amazing......if you focus on the team, prepare them and then empower them on the court, good things come in return. If you scream/yell and dominate the focus of both the officials and players, you will not get those results.

Larrañaga is a good coach. He took George Mason to the FF. That’s almost like taking UMass there.

He’s not as good as Cal. But he has better players than Cal does right now.

Cal’s mantra has always been “trust your training”.

Hate on Cal all you want. But it’s about the players.

Larrañaga is a good coach. He took George Mason to the FF. That’s almost like taking UMass there.

Did West Virginia 2010, Wisconsin 2015, KSU 2018, Auburn 2019, St. Peter's 2022, and KSU 2023 have better players than Cal as well?

Last edited:

So now you're going to tell us that Larranaga recruits better players than CCC? Give me a break. Put the blame where it belongs.

Come to think of it how many coaches have you seen continuously yell at his players and the refs during the entire tournament ?
My guess is they think it makes it harder for the players to play and I’d counterproductive.
As for the refs if you dispute every call you lose your credibility with them . Hey personal with then and they will with you.

Larranaga is a good coach. Them making the final 4 doesn’t change that. They needed Drake to pee down their leg in round 1 to win a single game in the tourney. If they lost that, it doesn’t make Larranaga any different as a coach.

Dusty May the same. An absolute gift from Memphis going brain dead late allowed the run to even get started.

Reactions: YouKay and gojvc
I guess all of the other hall of fame coaches who ever lost in the NCAA tourny don't know how to coach. I didn't know that was a requirement to get in the hall of fame.

Thanks Ellen. You are so far off base you are going to be picked off.

• Love
Reactions: crestcat and KFuqua
The complete opposite of the micromanaging, screaming idiot on the sidelines in Lexington.
It's called leadership. With real leadership, you don't micromanage very much, if ever.

You find your best guys and make them leaders as well. They then can disseminate the specifics down to the others. And you don't complicate the plan. You set broad objectives and work within those objectives to achieve your goals.

Cal's problem is literal insanity. His plan worked ONCE, therefore he thinks it should work every time. The exact same way.

We cannot win with Cal here.

Lmao I love having to reveal your content bc you're on ignore, always get a good laugh from you even though. Keep the troll comments coming 🥱

It's called leadership. With real leadership, you don't micromanage very much, if ever.

You find your best guys and make them leaders as well. They then can disseminate the specifics down to the others. And you don't complicate the plan. You set broad objectives and work within those objectives to achieve your goals.

Cal's problem is literal insanity. His plan worked ONCE, therefore he thinks it should work every time. The exact same way.

We cannot win with Cal here.
You can’t force players to be leaders which is why he has had to hand-hold some teams and others have natural leaders.

Reactions: Ky-troutbum
I guess all of the other hall of fame coaches who ever lost in the NCAA tourny don't know how to coach. I didn't know that was a requirement to get in the hall of fame.
How many "other" coaches are getting paid $9 million/year with a $35 million buyout?????!!!!

UK is getting the SHAFT in the RESULTS department for that kind of DOUGH!!!!

Even YOU can't deny that!!!

Where are you when we REALLY NEED a "Coach Cal to the NBA" rumor???!!!!

Here's one thing I'd add to this--the class that is traditional 4 yr seniors was considered one of the worst overall in recent recruiting. So it's not a shock that this year was odd and mediocre. When you lack high end talent and then lose that to Draft....the guys left over aren't going to be much. Last year was strong for power teams and look how close Duke almost rode a FR team to the Championship? UNC prevented Coach K's 6th title. But that was a FR dominated team.

Also of UK interest--Kentucky recruited Nasine "Wooga" Poplar and Norchad Omier who are on Miami's roster. They ignored going after guys like Nigel Pack who many fans implored them to and you see why now.

Cal doesn’t trust his training though, at this point he just says stuff, none of it means anything.

Reactions: BlueWhite21
How many "other" coaches are getting paid $9 million/year with a $35 million buyout?????!!!!

UK is getting the SHAFT in the RESULTS department for that kind of DOUGH!!!!

Even YOU can't deny that!!!

Where are you when we REALLY NEED a "Coach Cal to the NBA" rumor???!!!!
Not when you consider other factors like how much other revenue he is responsible for bringing to the university which is what you don't quite understand...

• Wow
Reactions: catben
I have to give Larranaga props. He's coached two different teams to the Final Four and both of them had never been there before he arrived. Like, Miami basketball was largely a joke before he went there. And when he left GMU, I was like "Why Miami?" Seems like he has made it work pretty well there over the long-term. A few rough seasons mixed in but making that university a contender in the ACC is an achievement.

Larranaga is WAAAAAAY better than Cal. But then, there are 50 other coaches who are also better than Cal.

Cal has never said that.

Reactions: KFuqua

This is the worst post of the day, congratulations!

I have to give Larranaga props. He's coached two different teams to the Final Four and both of them had never been there before he arrived. Like, Miami basketball was largely a joke before he went there. And when he left GMU, I was like "Why Miami?" Seems like he has made it work pretty well there over the long-term. A few rough seasons mixed in but making that university a contender in the ACC is an achievement.
Miami is a good spot in todays NIL game for sure. If they get a good football coach it’s on. I don’t think Mario Cristobol is that guy.

Reactions: EliteBlue
I'll be on the record saying that Cal needs to change his demeanor. They players don't respond to it, they play stressed out and rigid, too often our shooters go cold. Not all of it is on Cal, but when you have Toppin and Oscar telling him he needs to back off - well that shows you where the players stand.

With that said, let's slow down here anointing Laranaga as some model for Cal to follow. He just now reached his 2nd Final 4 ever - he's been a head coach since 1977!!! Only his 2nd ever final 4. His first Final 4 in 12 years at Miami, so let's slow down a bit

Reactions: Fox2monk
Add that to the Danny Hurley interview at the Half where he stated "I looked at myself during our lull in Conference and I was wasting too much time focusing on the officials and not focused on my team". Amazing......if you focus on the team, prepare them and then empower them on the court, good things come in return. If you scream/yell and dominate the focus of both the officials and players, you will not get those results.
I've been convinced for several years now that he has a few screws loose, and it filters down to the players. Ever tried to read a printed transcript of Cal talking? He just randomly jumps from one thing to another like the Hamster in his wheel is meth'd up. Now imagine being "coached" by someone like that.

But but but....he had a 10-17 season during the COVID year and only has a 63% winning percentage in his entire career at Miami. Surely he cant be that great of a coach can he? Dude had a 62% win percentage at George Mason and other than the Final Four year he never made it out of the first weekend.

Let me state for the record....Cal needs to be on his way out. CAL NEEDS TO GO.....but.....

You people crack me up saying this guy is better than Calipari because he took a team to the Final Four almost TWENTY YEARS AGO and now has his FIRST EVER back to back years of an Elite Eight or better.

The just flat out low level of thought on this board amazes me sometimes.

So now you're going to tell us that Larranaga recruits better players than CCC? Give me a break. Put the blame where it belongs.
Some on this board will make excuses for Calipari no matter what he does. The damage Calipari has caused will take years to repair, especially with the fanbase. But, all of us are guilty for getting spoiled, me included. I was excited to see our program back, but we kinda created this monster.

Calipari relied on talent and over the years, the talent has been subpar and it's showing.

I've been a huge Larranaga fan since he was at Bowling Green when I was a student there in the mid to late 90's. His son (Jay) is someone to watch out for in coaching circles. A Brad Stevens disciple with the Celtics and now Tyrone Lue's right hand man with the Clippers. A couple colleges have tried to poach him with no success.

Miami had 1 sweet 16 in their history prior to Larranaga getting there, and he has gone to or past the Sweet 16 4 times in 12 years. He's like a 73 year old grandpa having the time of his life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT