ADVERTISEMENT

“There’s no reason for me to get big-headed.” Deaaron Fox

As Ulis has shown this year he is one of the best pg in the Country right now. I have seen Fox play in many games on ESPN and as a Senior in High School is an outstanding scorer, assists, and a great defender just like Ulis. We all know coming in as a Freshman there will be some growing pains in the 1st part of the season like the other freshman we have watched grow over the season. I will say one thing is that many experts and Media were saying last year to start Ulis and Booker or play them more over the Harrison Twins. Ulis in most NBA Mock Draft Boards is still in the 2nd Round buy I believe that once he declares for the Draft there will be many teams in the 1st round that will want to select Ulis in the 1st round. Ulis has been averaging near 20ppg during SEC Season and 10+assists per game. Some say Ulis should stay another year for the Cats but I don't know how much more he can improve to help anymore in the draft for 2017 and there will be way more talent in the 2017 draft than in the 2016 Draft. I think that is why Coach Cal has already said that Ulis is gone after this year.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
How much "freshman adjustment" did it take for Wall, Knight, and/or Teague ? The same would have been said about Ulis, if Cal had had the courage / good sense to start Ulis instead of Andrew last year. Alas.

And let's face it: fans love what Ulis is doing at his size. The same production from a 6'2 kid wouldn't be as fun to us.

No sure I can go along with that. Fans love Tyler because he gets the damn job done. To summarize an infatuation based on a physical variant isn't fair to the fans or Tyler. This young man plays this game magnificently, with real savvy. It isn't his fault that the people he burns are twice his size. He is the most fearless point player I've seen in a UK uniform. In fact, he is maybe the most fearless person I've seen associated with this program . . . ever. Absolutely wanting to win. Giving what it takes. Always having it to give. Nobody fills those shoes.

Can you imagine The kind of player Ulis would be if he was 6'4". Answer. Fox.

Bigger, stronger, faster.

Nothing against Ulis (cause he is one of my all time favorites) or Murray but the Fox Monk guard combination will be just as good or better.

Yeah you should pump the brakes on this. Neither guys are as skilled as Ulis/Murray. They are better athletes.

Better than Ulis and Murray??? Ulis is the best pure PG in College and Murray is the best pure Scorer in College and Murray is just starting to peak which is scary!!!! So our fans need to quit setting them self up for disappointment due to crazy expectations...

Reactions: Primedfor9
Tyler's ability can't be copied by watching tape. He does his thing innately. Fox is saying all the right things though. I think he will be very good. I don't expect to see another Tyler Ulis in my lifetime. I've been watching UK for almost 40 years now. I've never seen a player like him at UK. It's all about the intangibles with Tyler. We would be blessed beyond belief to have another Tyler anytime soon.

Every time Murray shoots it I expect it to go in. I haven't had that much confidence since Knight. Murray is a better shooter

Wow, that's saying something. I was always confident w/Knight, but didn't think he was terrific behind the arc.
Knight's only the all-time leading scoring freshman(for the moment) @ UK, so that's saying something.

Reactions: TexKat
Wasn't able to get his team to the state finals ( 4 teams in Texas) .. Always a SLIGHT concern. Like guys who have been on teams that won it all.
Seriously doubt he will be as good as Ulis. That's not a knock, just showing Tyler the respect he deserves. Looking forward to seeing him in Blue.

Wow, that's saying something. I was always confident w/Knight, but didn't think he was terrific behind the arc.
Knight's only the all-time leading scoring freshman(for the moment) @ UK, so that's saying something.

I really thought Knight grew toward the end of the season. He got almost 38% from 3 and 41% from 3 in the SEC.

Reactions: TexKat
Too many are too eager to put new recruits on pedestal and give them expectation that are too great even before they step on the floor (see Skal). While it is fun to talk about talent and expectation, its not fair to put them on a level of near perfection before they lace up for BBN. Its not fair to bestow them with greatness before they earn it.
When you have guys like Wall, Bledsoe, Cousins, Knight, TJ, Patrerson, Davis, Noel, Towns and Murray come in and do what they have done you should understand why that happens. You pointed out the one guy that has underachieved (to this point).

I have not seen Monk play but did watch fox play a game on TV and was blow away with his speed. If he has been studying Tyler in game situation and can run the team like Tyler it is going be fun again next year.

"Murray comes off screens and hits extremely difficult shots better than anyone we've had since Meeks. I'll hold up on putting that pressure on either of the newcomers"

This is one of our big headaches, we just can't seem to keep from putting that pressure on the new kids when they've never played the college game. I had very little worry about Murray after watching him in the Pan Am Games. I will hope that the learning curve is short with these new ones, but in the mean time I'm going to enjoy the players we have now for as long as I can.

No sure I can go along with that. Fans love Tyler because he gets the damn job done. To summarize an infatuation based on a physical variant isn't fair to the fans or Tyler. This young man plays this game magnificently, with real savvy. It isn't his fault that the people he burns are twice his size. He is the most fearless point player I've seen in a UK uniform. In fact, he is maybe the most fearless person I've seen associated with this program . . . ever. Absolutely wanting to win. Giving what it takes. Always having it to give. Nobody fills those shoes.
agreed
Tyler's height has very little to do with his basketball IQ, court vision, fearlessness, work ethic, etc....
ok, maybe it does have something to do with his work ethic - he's going to try harder because of it, make sure he's not overlooked.
Anyway - he's incredibly savvy, as you said - and being 5'9" or 6'2" doesn't change that

Just want to make sure I wasn't misunderstood. I'm not saying his size is why we love Tyler. I'm saying it makes us appreciate what he's doing more. As in, if two guys both "get the damn job done," and one is 6'2 and the other 5'9, you take more joy from the smaller guy.

Not that that's anything new. We pulled for Bledsoe harder because of his past. We took great joy in seeing Darius blossom into a major contributor because he was from Kentucky--we've always cheered for guys on factors besides pure production. There's a certain underdog relatability to his greatness. It's based on skill and grit and heart and IQ, whereas a guy like Wall or Rose or Westbrook looks like some supernatural force out there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT