ADVERTISEMENT

“I would crawl to Ky”

A coach once said about the UK job. I am not sure now. Cal has totally ruined the program with his antics. He went from telling us we would pass UCLA to “draft day 2011 was greatest day in UK basketball. One title with the best player in UK history. Cal has been a bust who’s record is equal to Tubby. He has been far too concerned with culture and political involvement. If he had won 2-3 titles he would be a hard act to follow but now any average Joe would be an upgrade. Oh sure he can recruit but only for another day in the Green room not for the success of UK…Sheldon Sharpe is proof of that. I am just really disappointed and disgusted. I am 68 and have gained so much joy since the early 60’s of following UK basketball and now I really have no interest in watching. I completely forgot about our last game. It is so hard to watch him on the sidelines. He looks lost and so do the players. It is all about me for Cal and the team and nothing for the state or millions of loyal UK fans. I hope there is a great coach out there who is wanting to come so badly and resurrect the program he would crawl. I bet he would scoot on his belly for 10 million a year.
Who the F is Sheldon Sharpe?

Warning…this post is a novella, feel free to skip

When Calipari first arrived the majority of the fan base were excited he was here. I know I was..really wanted him instead of Gillespie
And I’m sure we can all admit..it was an awful lot of fun with the Wall/Boogie/Bledsoe group.
And while we were all disappointed and upset over losing to West Virginia in the tournament, I think most felt it was a great new beginning to an era. And even then few complained much about draft because of the fantastic class he brought in the following year…which resulted in a Final Four and most is the class returning
2012 was THE YEAR. Our first title since 98. We felt like we were on top of the world. 2013 sucked…and that’s when a number started seeing that maybe Calipari wasn’t really that good a coach—-I won’t say I was one of them, I’m afraid I wasn’t so astute. Then redemption in 2014…then the near perfect season in 2015.
And in the middle of all this..all the charity work, the telethons, everything you could imagine that was positive. How we could not love Calipari and the state of our program??
But something happened in 2015…the choke job to Wisconsin was only the beginning..
Mass exodus of players to the NBA, ready or not, transfers..where they become much better players on their new teams..not even coming close to living up to preseason hype. Calipari making more and more bazaar statements. And has anyone else noticed you don’t see him talking about his “sons” and them coming back as often?
It’s now been 7 years since a final four..
In that time we’ve lost all time wins lead, standings in tourney wins and FF, our three point win streak (yeah I know that’s minor) …worse we’ve lost respect, no one fears us and the apathy of the fan base is incredible disturbing and sad.
Let me say…I’m grateful to Calipari for his first 6 years here. He did do a lot for Kentucky basketball
But the man has lost it and is destroying our program from the inside out…no one seems happy to be a part of it any more.
And that breaks my heart

A coach once said about the UK job. I am not sure now. Cal has totally ruined the program with his antics. He went from telling us we would pass UCLA to “draft day 2011 was greatest day in UK basketball. One title with the best player in UK history. Cal has been a bust who’s record is equal to Tubby. He has been far too concerned with culture and political involvement. If he had won 2-3 titles he would be a hard act to follow but now any average Joe would be an upgrade. Oh sure he can recruit but only for another day in the Green room not for the success of UK…Sheldon Sharpe is proof of that. I am just really disappointed and disgusted. I am 68 and have gained so much joy since the early 60’s of following UK basketball and now I really have no interest in watching. I completely forgot about our last game. It is so hard to watch him on the sidelines. He looks lost and so do the players. It is all about me for Cal and the team and nothing for the state or millions of loyal UK fans. I hope there is a great coach out there who is wanting to come so badly and resurrect the program he would crawl. I bet he would scoot on his belly for 10 million a year.
That’s a bunch of BS. UK is still a top 5 program.

Reactions: JonathanW

When Calipari first arrived the majority of the fan base were excited he was here. I know I was..really wanted him instead of Gillespie
And I’m sure we can all admit..it was an awful lot of fun with the Wall/Boogie/Bledsoe group.
And while we were all disappointed and upset over losing to West Virginia in the tournament, I think most felt it was a great new beginning to an era. And even then few complained much about draft because of the fantastic class he brought in the following year…which resulted in a Final Four and most is the class returning
2012 was THE YEAR. Our first title since 98. We felt like we were on top of the world. 2013 sucked…and that’s when a number started seeing that maybe Calipari wasn’t really that good a coach—-I won’t say I was one of them, I’m afraid I wasn’t so astute. Then redemption in 2014…then the near perfect season in 2015.
And in the middle of all this..all the charity work, the telethons, everything you could imagine that was positive. How we could not love Calipari and the state of our program??
But something happened in 2015…the choke job to Wisconsin was only the beginning..
Mass exodus of players to the NBA, ready or not, transfers..where they become much better players on their new teams..not even coming close to living up to preseason hype. Calipari making more and more bazaar statements. And has anyone else noticed you don’t see him talking about his “sons” and them coming back as often?
In that time we’ve lost all time wins lead, standings in tourney wins and FF, our three point win streak (yeah I know that’s minor) …worse we’ve lost respect, no one fears us and the apathy of the fan base is incredible disturbing and sad.
Let me say…I’m grateful to Calipari for his first 6 years here. He did do a lot for Kentucky basketball
But the man has lost it and is destroying our program from the inside out…no one seems happy to be a part of it any more.
And that breaks my heart
Bko...I've seen longer SHORT Novels than that one. But I agree with you.

Last edited:

And that breaks my heart
All you say there is true,I wasn't sold on Cal at first but I bought in when the NCAA did't come knocking on our door with anything major. He brought in talent and won a lot of games. Something did happen in 2015, I'm not sure we will ever know what it really was. I lost one of my best friends last year(UKfaninNC) he called and was done with Cal in 2015. I think about him often, he was just a step or so ahead of us. Dammit Bill, I hate it when you are right and aren't here to tell me you were.

BUT, BUT, but, but...just wait until next years class comes to UK!!!!

Wash, Rinse, Repeat!

Hopefully a miracle happens and the CATS make a run at the title, but seriously, how many REALLY believe that's going to happen? It's always WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR now.

CharlieBrownLucyFootball.jpg

All you say there is true,I wasn't sold on Cal at first but I bought in when the NCAA did't come knocking on our door with anything major. He brought in talent and won a lot of games. Something did happen in 2015, I'm not sure we will ever know what it really was. I lost one of my best friends last year(UKfaninNC) he called and was done with Cal in 2015. I think about him often, he was just a step or so ahead of us. Dammit Bill, I hate it when you are right and aren't here to tell me you were.
I really liked that guy. Didn’t know him other than on here, but always liked him. Always respected his opinions as well. I think about him damn near every time a negative Cal thread is started.

I didn't even watch our game against North Florida even though I predicted correctly we would win by 40. Cal has just sucked the life out of me regarding UK basketball. When he's gone and Eric Musselman is up there on the podium or literally anyone with promise, I can see it coming back in spades.
Yup, I haven't watched a game since our Gonzaga loss. It just took the excitement of college ball right out of it for me.
For some reason, I made it through the 9-16 debacle, but having Oscar back this year, made me believe something special could be in store for us. Welp, Cal officially squashed that excitement real fast.

The sad thing is, I think Cal is really trying to win, he’s just not very good. If he could just find a way to coach like he did in the 90's, when he was hungry, he would be able to hide some of his flaws.

Last edited:
Yup, I haven't watched a game since our Gonzaga loss. It just took the excitement of college ball right out of it for me.
For some reason, I made it through the 9-16 debacle, but having Oscar back this year, made me believe something special could be in store for us. Welp, Cal officially squashed that excitement real fast.

The sad thing is, I think Cal is really trying to win, he’s just not very good. If he could just find a way to coach.like he did in the 90's, when he was hungry, he would be able to hide some of his flaws.
Problem is Cal never evolved past 1996.

12 years and you still don't understand freshmen aren't at their peak.

What, did we play a game today?!

(I've mostly stopped watching, too., though I'll check back to see if the players have taken over; i.e. like Tubby's Championship run...)

“Ruined Kentucky”
A bit melodramatic are you!

We had 0 titles in the 60’s, 1 in the 70’s, 0 in the 80’s, and 0 in the 00’s.

Cal helped us get 1 in the 10’s, and is 0 for 2 in the 20’s so far. He also has the worst season in UK history, and the worst tourney loss in IK history.

And that breaks my heart
Great post! I echo your thoughts and feelings.

• Love
Reactions: Bkocats
We have so many kids that have come through the last 10 years that have only stayed nine months and use our taxpayers money and our facilities as a training ground for the NBA their names all start running together for me.
Yeah , it’s hard enough for me to remember the ones that actually decided to play.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I do not know how good your memory is, but Eddie Sutton almost ruined our basketball program too. There is no simple formula or cliche to fix what is not right. But I do not think Cal will ever win another SEC title at UK, or take UK to another final four. Would like to be wrong though.

I do not know how good your memory is, but Eddie Sutton almost ruined our basketball program too. There is no simple formula or cliche to fix what is not right. But I do not think Cal will ever win another SEC title at UK, or take UK to another final four. Would like to be wrong though.
I think Eddies Sutton was totally innocent. Dwayne Casey and some alumni were doing the cheating. Sutton was never charged

• Angry
Reactions: blue woman

Then once Eddie got here he crawled up and down the halls of UK basketball office. The man just loved to crawl I guess. Lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT