ADVERTISEMENT

“I think today I’d take Louisville’s roster over Kentucky”

First off, I can tell you just skimmed through my post and ignored most of what I said lol. I didn't compare any forwards who I don't think will play the 5. I also mentioned you all potentially getting Lanier and how he would be a perfect fit and how UofL needs to add depth inside.

You might notice that I was replying to somone who only mentioned a handful of players. I listed guards and then bigs who can play the 5 spot. I didn't compare the 3 and 4 spots and so I left out guys like Hadley and Oweh who I expect will primarily play the 3. I do see both of these guys playing the 2 on occassion and probably even the 4, at least for Hadley.

Again, both teams are solid and I'm actually excited about UofL basketball for the first time in a long time. If you all get Lanier, that would be a HUGE addition.
Excited about Louisville again?

Angry Celebrity Jeopardy GIF by ABC Network

I think I would go with most teams over Louisville right now without even looking at their roster given their propensity for scandals and not winning.

The new coach is definitely a big upgrade though. He’s making lemonade out of lemons.

We have a final four Point guard that is the defensive player of the year in Mountain West conf.

Cannot understand why people say we do not have a point guard. We have a back up in Kriisa that will not have to play 32 minutes a game this year.

2 guard we have several pieces as well.

Small forward several options.

Power forward 2 good choices.

Center 2 good choices.

This team is not full of names, halleluiah! It has the one name that is important, KENTUCKY. Pope will remind them of this fact every day. Our last coach could care less about winning at home, bet we do not have that with Pope. He knows what it means to win at Home, on the road, in tourney's, post season. He is out there every day trying to make the best decision for this up coming roster. He does not rest. He is not taking breaks. He is working. Once the roster is done, he will be working on next years class. Once the team gets to campus he will be 100% in on teaching his system. I bet you will not see Pope out of town and relying on his asst coaches to get the team ready. He will be hands on. He will know by end of summer school what he has, who he can rely on and will have a good start for fall practice. I hope we get one or two summer scrimmages. Maybe he can do what other teams have and do a scrimmage for a cause (maybe NIL for both teams) and sell tickets. I hope he does 2 blue white games like they did in the past (way back) one at memorial or Rupp and one either in mountains or western ky area. I am ready for football more than basketball right now but by the time we get practice reports I will be ready for basketball again. I will be going to the meet the team event next month, should be around fathers day, a gift to myself.
Good post!!!! The one thing I have noticed lately...with the exception of a couple of idiots on here that would not be happy no matter who the coach is or who the players are, is that the majority of people on here are truly getting excited again. The general overall mood is one of anticipation (not anxiety), hope (not dread), excitement and faith in our new coach. It's been a long, long time and it feels GOOD!!!!

GO BIG BLUE AND
COACH POPE, TOO!!!💙💙💙

I’m among those who hope the UK v UofL basketball game becomes nail-biting competitive again. The entire event (and all the leads up to it) has so much more energy around it when the rivalry is competitive. Go Cats!

What does this even mean? So you don't want elite talent/guard play because we had it last year and got upset? This makes absolutely no sense. Anything can happen in the NCAAT with one game sealing your fate. These ridiculous statements are hilarious. We need below average guard play this year because we lost in the tournament last year with elite guard play.
Wise and logical reactionaries are more rare than gold hen's teeth.

It is even more off the wall considering not one stone from last season stands.
Not a coach or player in common for there to be any carryover anyway.

We didn't win anything with Oscar either so what no more rebounding.

We didn't win with grad transfers either so no more experienced guys, I reckon.

I guess we ought to try girls.

why do you need a penetrating guard on a 5 out offense?
It is basketball, that's why.

Offenses break down and get stopped and sometimes you just have to make it happen.

I think some have gone too extreme on coaching. It is always a balance of talent and scheme and just because we are coming off one extreme doesn't mean success comes from the other pole.

The hay is made in the middle.

I guess it doesn't have to be a guard if you have a spare Anthony Mason or a Scottie Pippen or some such around.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
I thought it was Arkansas at first, who i’d at least consider. But Louisville? hell no. Louisville had better rosters under Payne. On paper we’re way ahead of them. We have starter level players and tons of experience. We have over 500 combined career starts on our roster and aren’t done.
Great points.

Good post!!!! The one thing I have noticed lately...with the exception of a couple of idiots on here that would not be happy no matter who the coach is or who the players are, is that the majority of people on here are truly getting excited again. The general overall mood is one of anticipation (not anxiety), hope (not dread), excitement and faith in our new coach. It's been a long, long time and it feels GOOD!!!!

GO BIG BLUE AND
COACH POPE, TOO!!!💙💙💙
I hope for the best.

• Love
Reactions: susan2361
I don't know who that guy is who said that, but I like the guys on that podcast. Fanta, Oglesby and Dauster seem to be very knowledgeable and fair. Even Goodman was very complimentary of UK this past season. I think his main issue with us was Cal.

How did they get Hawkins to visit? Why would he want to play there over several other much bigger programs? If they get him I guess our chances are getting close to 0?

Cam Spencer was listed as a guard and split time on the floor with Newton running point. They also played really well together.

The point is that neither was considered to be elite when the season kicked off, not even a second year Newton who was awarded an AA after the season, not before. The talent around them helped out a little as well.

Maybe we have a sleeper on the bench that can do the same.
Your forgetting about Stephon Castle, he was the guard, he’s also a lottery pick currently sitting around 3-5 in every draft mock I’ve seen.

I don't know who that guy is who said that, but I like the guys on that podcast. Fanta, Oglesby and Dauster seem to be very knowledgeable and fair. Even Goodman was very complimentary of UK this past season. I think his main issue with us was Cal.
It definitely was, he said the other day when Pope was on, btw about his 4 pts time already that he hadn’t interviewed a sitting UK coach in about 20 years. He tried to talk to Cal but it didn’t go well so yes they hated each other.

Louisville has the #1 rated transfer class per on3. Hate to admit but their new guy killed it in the portal.

Hopefully Pope can sign some KY quality talent for next season and right the ship.
On3 transfer portal team ranking system is trash.

They have Kansas ranked 12th, UK 35th, Arkansas 24th, etc. St. John's has two top 10 portal transfers coming in and On3 doesn't even have them in their top 50 overall ranking.

Absolute garbage system.

They don't just rank the incoming players, but they deduct teams for losing guys as well and working that into their point system.

First year coaches seem to do well, I just feel lucky we gave somebody a fresh start and fans a fresh outlook on the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT