ADVERTISEMENT

“Fair Weather Fan”

Random UK Fan

Sophomore
Dec 10, 2018
Is this term really applicable for UK football fans? I saw it used in another thread and it made me wonder “is it possible to be a ‘fair weather’ UK fan? One could as easily say those who hang on to hope are “gluttons for punishment”. I find myself wanting the absolute BEST for the team (maybe even more than they want it I think) and I’m excited when they do great . . . yet disappointed and demotivated when they lose to the South Carolinas, Vandys, etc.

There should be a term for that type of fan, which I think is the majority. What would be a good label?

Last edited:
I'm a realistic fan. I know we are probably never winning anything that really matters (national title, sec title, appearance in sec title game or playoff) so I'm not going to freak out when we inevitable come up short every season.

I agree with you I'm disappointed when we lose games the way we did last Saturday but in the end that loss is best case difference between 7 and 5 or maybe 6 and 6 now. The who gives a crap bowl hierarchy doesn't excite me.

Stoops did a great job of putting our program on the map. He was probably the only one who could do it that would actually come here. I'll always appreciate that. There's nothing wrong though, and it's not unrealistic, to want to see your team improving over time. Even if it's a two steps forward one step back type of progression, that's understandable given our history and resources. But you are still moving forward. The problem with Stoops and my frustration is that he's gotten us as far as he can take us. In fact, I think we've been declining from the peak he brought us to. When you look pathetic, at home, against a team that struggled with Old Dominion, in year 12, all is not well. Especially when on paper we have more talent than ever. Stoops wants to move on but can't. It's obvious and it's never good to have someone like that in charge. I personally think our program is in a position to where we could bring in someone new who could continue moving us forward. Will they win a national championship? Most likely not, at least not for awhile. But we can get someone who can make us competitive with the middle of the SEC pack and start knocking on the door of the top teams. The biggest issue is we have a chicken shit AD who lacks vision, innovation, and pride. He's content with where we are because his outlook is, "it could be a lot worse!" That's not a mentality that produces success in life nor in sports. So, call me a fair weathered fan if you want for not supporting that. I've been at games in the freezing rain while getting beat by 40 points. I'm confident in my loyalty. I won't be spending any more money or time however supporting what we have now. Mitch only responds to empty seats and revenue loss, so that's how I plan to voice my discontent.

Stoops did a great job of putting our program on the map. He was probably the only one who could do it that would actually come here. I'll always appreciate that. There's nothing wrong though, and it's not unrealistic, to want to see your team improving over time. Even if it's a two steps forward one step back type of progression, that's understandable given our history and resources. But you are still moving forward. The problem with Stoops and my frustration is that he's gotten us as far as he can take us. In fact, I think we've been declining from the peak he brought us to. When you look pathetic, at home, against a team that struggled with Old Dominion, in year 12, all is not well. Especially when on paper we have more talent than ever. Stoops wants to move on but can't. It's obvious and it's never good to have someone like that in charge. I personally think our program is in a position to where we could bring in someone new who could continue moving us forward. Will they win a national championship? Most likely not, at least not for awhile. But we can get someone who can make us competitive with the middle of the SEC pack and start knocking on the door of the top teams. The biggest issue is we have a chicken shit AD who lacks vision, innovation, and pride. He's content with where we are because his outlook is, "it could be a lot worse!" That's not a mentality that produces success in life nor in sports. So, call me a fair weathered fan if you want for not supporting that. I've been at games in the freezing rain while getting beat by 40 points. I'm confident in my loyalty. I won't be spending any more money or time however supporting what we have now. Mitch only responds to empty seats and revenue loss, so that's how I plan to voice my discontent.
I have followed UK seriously since I started my freshman year at UK all the way back in 1968 - lol! I have sat in the top row with season tickets when commonwealth was first opened. I sat with many fans who just wanted us to be competitive. We sufferred many, many, many year of terrible football. Then Curci came and all of a sudden UK was in the top 10. Unfortunately, that was short lived and back in the dumps. Then Coach Claiborne came home and again we started from scratch and ended up with decent football. But then back to the bottom. We had the excitement of Mumme ball and the Air Raid - then probabtion again. Coach Morris did his best and provided some thrills. Coach Brooks brought us back again and then back in the dumpster. Finally coach Stoops came and built what has become a stable program. The difference - support from the University and State for football. We have competitive facilities in all areas needed to support football. This team has never lacked for fan support - the fans were just never given anything to support - unless you were a hard core UK fan like myself - "We Believed" and then "Why not UK?"

I totally agree that Stoops has done a good if not great job here - but now it is time to move on before we go to rock bottom again. We need a head coach who has the fire and desire to make UK a really good football school. Now with NIL and all the unknowns it may never happen. Tennessee has unlimited funds from a family that has unlimited funds! Kentucky may never be able to compete with schools like Tennessee ever again. That is a reality now - however, we can still be competitive and have good years - with the right guy. Someone who loves UK as much as the fans who will not go away to another school. We need a coach who loves UK and Kentucky as much as the fans do. I don't want to hire another coach who WAS a great coach. I want to hire a great young coach who loves UK. We have one guy in coaching who fits that bill at the moment. It is obvious who I am talking about. But he may be pulled away by another before we can get him. But it is time to "Get R Done!". Lets build a statue to Coach Stoops, lets keep him around and help him build his Bourbon business - but lets also encourage him to help us get this great young coach who has the fire and love of UK back to Lexington!

Go Big Blue!

I have followed UK seriously since I started my freshman year at UK all the way back in 1968 - lol! I have sat in the top row with season tickets when commonwealth was first opened. I sat with many fans who just wanted us to be competitive. We sufferred many, many, many year of terrible football. Then Curci came and all of a sudden UK was in the top 10. Unfortunately, that was short lived and back in the dumps. Then Coach Claiborne came home and again we started from scratch and ended up with decent football. But then back to the bottom. We had the excitement of Mumme ball and the Air Raid - then probabtion again. Coach Morris did his best and provided some thrills. Coach Brooks brought us back again and then back in the dumpster. Finally coach Stoops came and built what has become a stable program. The difference - support from the University and State for football. We have competitive facilities in all areas needed to support football. This team has never lacked for fan support - the fans were just never given anything to support - unless you were a hard core UK fan like myself - "We Believed" and then "Why not UK?"

I totally agree that Stoops has done a good if not great job here - but now it is time to move on before we go to rock bottom again. We need a head coach who has the fire and desire to make UK a really good football school. Now with NIL and all the unknowns it may never happen. Tennessee has unlimited funds from a family that has unlimited funds! Kentucky may never be able to compete with schools like Tennessee ever again. That is a reality now - however, we can still be competitive and have good years - with the right guy. Someone who loves UK as much as the fans who will not go away to another school. We need a coach who loves UK and Kentucky as much as the fans do. I don't want to hire another coach who WAS a great coach. I want to hire a great young coach who loves UK. We have one guy in coaching who fits that bill at the moment. It is obvious who I am talking about. But he may be pulled away by another before we can get him. But it is time to "Get R Done!". Lets build a statue to Coach Stoops, lets keep him around and help him build his Bourbon business - but lets also encourage him to help us get this great young coach who has the fire and love of UK back to Lexington!

Go Big Blue!
I agree 100%. And I know which coach you are talking about and he is my pick as well.

I'm a realistic fan. I know we are probably never winning anything that really matters (national title, sec title, appearance in sec title game or playoff) so I'm not going to freak out when we inevitable come up short every season.

I agree with you I'm disappointed when we lose games the way we did last Saturday but in the end that loss is best case difference between 7 and 5 or maybe 6 and 6 now. The who gives a crap bowl hierarchy doesn't excite me.
What a perfect example of a BS loser mentality. Why is Kentucky never going to do any of those things? Because people like you content with a seven or eight win season, because that’s all we will ever be. GTFOH with that. The amount of money being dumped into this football program is enough if someone actually wants to do it. Get rid of the dead weight, and put up whatever is necessary to get a competent coach, then pony up the NIL money. Where there is a will, there is a way. Unless you are a loser with a loser mentality.

What a perfect example of a BS loser mentality. Why is Kentucky never going to do any of those things? Because people like you content with a seven or eight win season, because that’s all we will ever be. GTFOH with that. The amount of money being dumped into this football program is enough if someone actually wants to do it. Get rid of the dead weight, and put up whatever is necessary to get a competent coach, then pony up the NIL money. Where there is a will, there is a way. Unless you are a loser with a loser mentality.

Because of the alabama crimson tide, Georgia bulldogs, lsu tigers, Tennessee volunteers, Texas longhorns, Oklahoma sooner, Florida gators, Texas a and m aggies, etc. We are never gonna be able to out NIL those programs. We are like 15th out of 16. It's an unfair playing field and always has been but way worse with NIL.

It's the NFL without a salary cap with big time historical programs having advantages.

You can keep living in your "winner" fantasy world though.

To me, a fair weather fan is someone who cheered like crazy for 2018 and 2021 but never followed UK other than that. A fan that only pulled for Vandy when Franklin was there. Someone who is now a Chiefs fan who didn't know what city they played in prior to Mahomes arriving. Fans who've been fans of UK for more than 20 years have seen a lot of bad football, coaches who failed to live up to expectations, bizarre plays that seem to only happen to UK, etc. If you are still a follower/fan of UK and were there during Curry and Joker years (or John Ray) in no way are you ever to be called fair weather.

Reactions: law1127
You guys can sugar coat all you want but a guy who posts he refuses to watch because he is “scared” there will be a “blood bath” is in my eyes a fair weathered fan that needs to retire to stud.

Stoops has checked out IMO. He has egg on his face after the A&M debacle. Then him rehiring Wolford was just stupid. The program has been in decline the last few years and will continue that way as long as Stoops stays.
As said earlier Stoops has taken the program as far as HE can. Hopefully he leaves soon and we get an upgrade. I know KY is not a dream job for most coaches. It’s going to take cash and NIL guarantees to land a successful replacement.

Opposite of "fair weathered" fan you have the Ole "rose colored glasses" fan. I am somewhere in the middle. If we suck, I let it be known, if we play well (even in a loss), I let it be known. I guess what I am saying is, I call it as I see it.
And boy does that piss people off.

Stoops has checked out IMO. He has egg on his face after the A&M debacle. Then him rehiring Wolford was just stupid. The program has been in decline the last few years and will continue that way as long as Stoops stays.
As said earlier Stoops has taken the program as far as HE can. Hopefully he leaves soon and we get an upgrade. I know KY is not a dream job for most coaches. It’s going to take cash and NIL guarantees to land a successful replacement.
Notice how calm he was pre-SC. His pressers, he was coolhand luke. Guy doesn't care either way.

Reactions: ck-2
Been watching since ‘77 and won’t stop now, disappointed that my expectations for this season has dropped since last week. Who knows, maybe they’ll make some changes that work out and salvage some of the season but we have murderers row ahead of us. Probably ain’t gonna be around ten years from now but at least I can say I’ve seen three 10 win seasons which I never thought was possible. Overall guess I’ve turned into a realist lately, rather be pleasantly surprised than deflated for being an optimist.

• Sad
Reactions: Random UK Fan
Been watching since ‘77 and won’t stop now, disappointed that my expectations for this season has dropped since last week. Who knows, maybe they’ll make some changes that work out and salvage some of the season but we have murderers row ahead of us. Probably ain’t gonna be around ten years from now but at least I can say I’ve seen three 10 win seasons which I never thought was possible. Overall guess I’ve turned into a realist lately, rather be pleasantly surprised than deflated for being an optimist.
Hope you’re wrong about the 10 years comment. :(

UK football fans are the last ppl in sports who should be called “fair weather fans”. Honestly, UK should be grateful that anybody cares, at all, at this point & that the entire fanbase isn’t totally apathetic. Using myself as an example, I still live & die with every game despite the fact that I’ve been watching for 45 years & haven’t seen them win one freaking thing of significance.

F anybody who tells me I’m a fair weather fan bc I dare to speak my mind & call out bs in lieu of praising every decision & desperately looking for hope that isn’t there. I’ve sat in pouring rain & freezing cold, thru 73-7, 65-3 beat downs & I’m still here decades later. But, I’ll never be the condescending, eternal cheerleader who believes coaches walk on water & do no wrong.

Despite UK being a bottom feeder throughout my entire fandom, spanning 5-6 decades, I’ve watched this fanbase fill COMMONWEALTH Stadium on a weekly basis, regardless of the opponent. No fanbase in sports gives more & gets less ROI than the UK football fan. We have earned the right to both question the program & for our fandom to be unquestioned. And, anybody who has the nerve to call one of us “fair weather” can EABD as far as I’m concerned. The fact that we are still here, at all, is the proof.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dallas-Wild
Opposite of "fair weathered" fan you have the Ole "rose colored glasses" fan. I am somewhere in the middle. If we suck, I let it be known, if we play well (even in a loss), I let it be known. I guess what I am saying is, I call it as I see it.
I agree totally with your post, this is how I feel. I do think that I wear my Rose Colored glasses more for the Cats.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT