ADVERTISEMENT

“Calipari Now on 1-Year Clock”

It’s ridiculous he gets another year. No other UK coach would have outlasted his last 3 seasons. Thanks Barnhart you idiot
If he didn't have the crash pad of that absurd contract, he very well may have kept up his 2010-2015 performance. I think that coupled with the Wisconsin loss pushed him into some kind of depression.

I think his allegiance to 'certain players', usually based on number of stars beside their name, started before that 2014-15 season and was the reason that wonderful season ended the way it did. Almost no other coach in America wouldn't have won the title with that roster. His obsession with the NBA fueled his signing on with UK, not an obsession with winning titles. No matter what he claims.

Thank goodness word on the street is he's already decided next year is the end of his clock.

All I have say is that the clown better deliver a championship before he takes home that last fat check.
We haven't really recruited much for year after next anyways, other than the Ian Clark miss, have we? That alone tells me next year is probably his last year. And I am fine with that. One last hurrah with this heralded class and I think change would be good after that.

I say give him another year, why not, if he doesn’t win, he’s out and he says this is the class he has been waiting for the last few years. What he needs to do is announce he is retiring at the end of the year. So he can draw all the attention he thinks he deserves at every away game they can honor him. 😂

I dunno... I mean, it's got to wear on a man's psyche to be lauded so greatly for so long, then be despised for several years after. I kknowI wouldn't do it no matter what you paid me. I've seen too many friends and family succumb to bad health because of work stress.

He’s not on any clock. And the contract has nothing to do with it.

Cal is the coach at UK until he decides he’s not.
Actually, his contract has everything to do with it. If it weren't for that, he may well actually coach the team, or retire, or be fired (least likely because Mitch doesn't have the sack). But he's not staying as long as he wants. He'll be gone after next year on his own, win it all or not.

I dunno... I mean, it's got to wear on a man's psyche to be lauded so greatly for so long, then be despised for several years after. I kknowI wouldn't do it no matter what you paid me. I've seen too many friends and family succumb to bad health because of work stress.
It’s like Nixon.

His clock will be based on when the contract reduces down to a reasonable amount. One year gets you to 33 million. I'd say maybe after 27 season, which gets you down to 13 million. The highest payout that I can recall was Notre Dame paid Charlie Weis around 19 million over a 5 year period. Notre Dame has alot more money than University of Kentucky.

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
His clock will be based on when the contract reduces down to a reasonable amount. One year gets you to 33 million. I'd say maybe after 27 season, which gets you down to 13 million. The highest payout that I can recall was Notre Dame paid Charlie Weis around 19 million over a 5 year period. Notre Dame has alot more money than University of Kentucky.
Damn them Irish. Come on guys and gals you’re so close to having 2 pages.

He’s not on any clock. And the contract has nothing to do with it.

Cal is the coach at UK until he decides he’s not.
True but why would Cal want to put himself though what will become a complete circus if he doesn't turn it around next year.. If we don't get past the first weekend next year and he comes back for 24-25 he's crazy.

We haven't really recruited much for year after next anyways, other than the Ian Clark miss, have we? That alone tells me next year is probably his last year. And I am fine with that. One last hurrah with this heralded class and I think change would be good after that.

Same here. Man do I want him to go out on top of that is it. We need it and honestly he does too.

I could definitely do that and put up with that for $9 mil/year. I already have a job where I’m scrutinized and under a microscope but I don’t get paid nearly that much or have as many days off.

I'm not sure this recruiting class even shows up to Lexington in tact, and if they do, let's just remember that physically, they might be one of Cal's weakest recruiting classes. The Boogie Class and the MKG class in 2009 and 2011 possessed grown men.

We won't have any of that with Dillingham and company.

I predict our strengths this year (rebounding) become our weaknesses next year. The perimeter shooting will remain abhorrent, of course.

I hope he wins next year and then rides off into retirement.

I have major doubts we will though. But I do keep coming back to next year's class is the type he has had major success with.

4 top 10 players, he usually takes those teams far. 2010, 2014, 2015, 2017

Better hit the transfer portal and get some guys that can actually shoot. Think there's a reason Cal has been spewing the dual 7 footers nonsense; he knows none of these guys are true shooters. I have my doubts about next year and honestly hope I'm wrong

So unless he retires after next season, the buyout is still in the $30M+ range. So Mitch better start calling in some favors and saving his milk money.

Thank goodness word on the street is he's already decided next year is the end of his clock.

All I have say is that the clown better deliver a championship before he takes home that last fat check.
Don't hold your breath on that one. Don't get me wrong, it'd be cool to get one more, but there isnt enough talent coming in to offset his coaching deficiencies

Reactions: UK-chulo
Poor shooting and weak defense was our downfall this year, along with odd rotations and poor coaching. Let's hope all these improve or there will be more and more heat on Cal from everywhere, not just our fans.

I hope he wins next year and then rides off into retirement.

I have major doubts we will though. But I do keep coming back to next year's class is the type he has had major success with.

4 top 10 players, he usually takes those teams far. 2010, 2014, 2015, 2017
I hope you are right. Hopefully, he would take that opportunity to go out after a successful (by our standards) season.
However, history would indicate otherwise.
First is his bloated ego and laziness... coupled with his bloated salary.
But even then, next year's class is way down compared to most years, starting at the top.

I think next year will be his last year at UK, regardless of the outcome.
If we struggle or anything less than a F4, BBN will get more restless and he will be fired or negotiate an exit (half his payout) or walk away (yes I know it's a lot of $, but he already has 2X that, more than he could ever spend); or he wins it all (not likely) and exits on top with a smirk on his face and opens other jobs if he wants to keep coaching.
The only way I think he might return is if he gets close (lose in F4) and thinks he has an even better chance the next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT