ADVERTISEMENT

"Beginning of the End - or Rebirth - of Calipari Era?"

I compared Calipari’s tenure at UK vs. Self and Coach K at their respective schools during the same period. In the last 15 years Cal has underperformed 6 seasons according to UK’s expected standards. Coach K underperformed 6 seasons and Self 7 seasons. In these seasons the teams made it no further than the S16.

I’ve said this for over a year. A lot of people are going to be surprised when he’s moved out or settles soon. The guys legacy is now firmly in play and he’s not going to stick around if he can’t win. He’s damaged it enough already. Guys like Calipari don’t damage themselves if they don’t have to. He doesn’t have to.

The end is close and that’s damn near a guarantee. Calipari is just BS’n to ride this contract out until the number he wants is offered to retire out. If he holds on and doesn’t win he will be fired in this day and age.

He quit a few years ago in terms of working at winning the way he used to. Anyone who’s worked for a guy close to retiring knows exactly what this looks like. The ones that can’t see it just can’t fathom him gone. Usually younger fans who only know Calipari.

Great recap of things many of us have been saying in terms of the perplexing coaching decisions. It is actually a challenge to understand why? I mean it is not like he is inexperienced but some of the very basic fundamentals of playing the game seemingly are not taught or coached. Plus of course as the article points out there clearly has been mind boggling favoritism over the years with on court performance not being an issue for some.

I hope we win the National Championship for the players. It would be a nice legacy for Cal although my impression is he would give us the middle finger on his way out nevertheless. But, few things that fans have been upset with have been wrong.

I was such a fan of Cal for a number of years but that has completely changed. He was fun and no longer is. He seemed to want to bond with Kentucky fans and that's been lost. The only rational explanation for all of this is Cal has a stubborn ego that refuses to change. That's sad as I was so proud he was our coach for a number of those early years at our program.

Great recap of things many of us have been saying in terms of the perplexing coaching decisions. It is actually a challenge to understand why? I mean it is not like he is inexperienced but some of the very basic fundamentals of playing the game seemingly are not taught or coached. Plus of course as the article points out there clearly has been mind boggling favoritism over the years with on court performance not being an issue for some.

I hope we win the National Championship for the players. It would be a nice legacy for Cal although my impression is he would give us the middle finger on his way out nevertheless. But, few things that fans have been upset with have been wrong.

I was such a fan of Cal for a number of years but that has completely changed. He was fun and no longer is. He seemed to want to bond with Kentucky fans and that's been lost. The only rational explanation for all of this is Cal has a stubborn ego that refuses to change. That's sad as I was so proud he was our coach for a number of those early years at our program.
So even if he wins it all, you’ll still hate him.

Got it.

Reactions: BlueTick2
So even if he wins it all, you’ll still hate him.

Got it.
I didn't see that poster say anything about hating Cal or hoping he'd lose. He/She only mentioned that Cal would probably give us the 🖕 if he won it all and retired. They also spoke about how proud they once was that Calipari was our coach and they mentioned what many of us think about how Cal has changed and I'd have to agree that Calipari is not the same fun outgoing guy that he once was and that's what this job has done to him.

He just doesn't care as much about all this shit as much as he once did and it does seem Cal is more interested in going back N forth with the fans than he is winning ball games. It's almost like when he argues with referee's all game long. He can't help it. He has to do it and he can't help himself even if it's detrimental to the outcome on the scoreboard.

The beginning of the end was after he signed that contract. We just have to wait until Barnhart has the balls to fire him or someone else takes him off of our hands. I can't see next year going good at all with the predicted returnees and I'm not sure we have any signees of the caliber of some of the key players we might lose. Cal is probably going to leave us in a mess when he finally is gone.

We want him to win something this year to level the ship some. Cal himself knows what we know and he needs a final four this season to make his last year or so a smoother exit. If we lose this week it's all but over and the sooner the better.
On the other hand a title game appearance or final four and he can loosen his belt a notch and say it was a good year. Alot at stake these next few weeks. I put 100 on Cats to win it all +2800. So hopefully they make a run and I can cash it out in a final four weekend.

Reactions: NociHTTP
We want him to win something this year to level the ship some. Cal himself knows what we know and he needs a final four this season to make his last year or so a smoother exit. If we lose this week it's all but over and the sooner the better.
On the other hand a title game appearance or final four and he can loosen his belt a notch and say it was a good year. Alot at stake these next few weeks. I put 100 on Cats to win it all +2800. So hopefully they make a run and I can cash it out in a final four weekend.
I put a bet on us winning the title before the season ($10 to win $350 I believe). Of course this recruiting class hasn't played up to the championship level many thought they were heading for. They've got 6 chances left to do it still. I had a random $1 left in my account so I put it on us to win it all and get $23 😂. So $373 on the line.
jerry-maguire-show-me-the-money.gif

Last edited:
Well I wonder if he has prepared for a 1-3-1 zone defense better than he did in 2010. He had no clue how to attack it. None. A duck could have done better against it with the team we had in 2010. Should have won it all and Cal blew it horribly. Tonight is just another game. Hope like hell we win but if not, it will be the type of loss we have all become accustomed to. Pretty day though.

It really is a make or break -- as often as that gets over-used -- tourney for Cal and UK basketball. An early exit, with this team, given the last 4 years, and it's curtains.

Well I wonder if he has prepared for a 1-3-1 zone defense better than he did in 2010. He had no clue how to attack it. None. A duck could have done better against it with the team we had in 2010. Should have won it all and Cal blew it horribly. Tonight is just another game. Hope like hell we win but if not, it will be the type of loss we have all become accustomed to. Pretty day though.
It was one of the biggest coaching failures in modern college bball. Disgusting to watch UK fire up 3-33 from downtown. Brick after brick with no effort or clue how to attack with physically gifted NBA players like Wall, Bledsoe, Cousins, Patterson .... to me, that disaster hurt as much as the 2015 loss to Wisconsin, because that Wisky loss just felt destined given it was a rematch from the Final Four the year before when Harrison ripped their hearts out ... I was there, and it sucked.

I compared Calipari’s tenure at UK vs. Self and Coach K at their respective schools during the same period. In the last 15 years Cal has underperformed 6 seasons according to UK’s expected standards. Coach K underperformed 6 seasons and Self 7 seasons. In these seasons the teams made it no further than the S16.
Every time I see a post like this, I'm reminded of the many times when my kids were ages 6 - 12, and I had to insist that they do, or not do, something. Invariably, their responses devolved into, "But Dad, Johnny always does that", or "But Dad, Mary never has to do that." Etc. The comparisons in this post say nothing other than "It's OK to be mediocre from time to time." I dissent from that proposition. It may happen, but it shouldn't be set forth as "acceptable."
Just MHO, of course. Go 'Cats !

Great recap of things many of us have been saying . . . .
. . . .
few things that fans have been upset with have been wrong.
Cal has a stubborn ego . . . .
Thanks for this post ! Coupled with the article posted by the OP, your post is a perfect rejoinder to the Sunshine Pumpers !

How things change!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT