ADVERTISEMENT

Zverev upsets Alcarez at Australian

She looks like she'd be sweaty, and kind of has the Giada De Laurentiis bobblehead thing going on.

Therefore

would.

Very pretty. Showing my age, the tats are a complete turn-off. One or a few very small ones - I'm good. A sleeve (or two) - nope. Just looks trashy to me. Now, one night stand material - definitely.

I know, I know - you kids get off my lawn! Beauty in the eye of the beholder.

Reactions: funKYcat75
BTW, Zverev played unbelievably well the first 2 sets. Thought he might let CA back into it late in the 4th, but he fought off a break and broke Alcaraz' serve late to set up serving out the match. CA's ceiling is higher, imo, but AZ outplayed him today.

He gets Medvedev next which could be a 5+ hour match as DM loves to stand 6' behind the baseline and just get one more ball back. When he (DM) plays aggressively, I think he's elite. When he plays passively, I think he's top 20 (not bad, of course).

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
Missed it, the Australian time change will always mess me up.

Yea, too many tattoos and especially sleeves are a turn off. Am I getting too old as well?

Also, any player who yells every swing should DIAF. Sorry, not sorry.

Reactions: gamecockcat
Missed it, the Australian time change will always mess me up.

Yea, too many tattoos and especially sleeves are a turn off. Am I getting too old as well?

Also, any player who yells every swing should DIAF. Sorry, not sorry.
You'd love watching Sabelenka play, then. Every single shot it sounds like she's taking an anal probe or giving birth. How the umpire/WTA doesn't warn her or tell her to tone it down, I don't know. It has to be distracting to her opponents.

Beyond, the yelling during every shot, I hate this recent trend of nearly every point being a fist-pumping. chest-thumping celebration. Dude, it's 15-0 in the 3rd game of the 1st set - little early for all those histrionics, imo. Somewhat akin to the WR who does a complete break dance in the first quarter when he catches a 5-yard out pattern.

Reactions: bigbluedon
You'd love watching Sabelenka play, then. Every single shot it sounds like she's taking an anal probe or giving birth. How the umpire/WTA doesn't warn her or tell her to tone it down, I don't know. It has to be distracting to her opponents.

Beyond, the yelling during every shot, I hate this recent trend of nearly every point being a fist-pumping. chest-thumping celebration. Dude, it's 15-0 in the 3rd game of the 1st set - little early for all those histrionics, imo. Somewhat akin to the WR who does a complete break dance in the first quarter when he catches a 5-yard out pattern.
Oh I watched Sabalenka the other day and she reminded me of how that triggers me. I think it all started with Sharapova. A total distraction that should be banned from tennis. Embarrassing that is hasn't been.

On another note, who TF thought it was right to remove the Russian flag from the score in these matches. WTF does a Russian tennis player have to do with political decisions Putin makes? I think that is a disgrace as well. Hell, there are probably more people in the world that hate the US, sure hope that doesn't start happening to our athletes.

Didn’t see that upset coming. Zverev has been a top player for years but always had Fed, Rafa, Djoker and Murray to contend with. Big win for him.

I am an old man, but on attractive fit women, I prefer the well-constructed sleeves over the random tat. Tats on the wrists are predictable and solo tats on the shoulder are hideous. Overall, however, tats fail on most people, IMO.

Sabalenka screams her way over Coco. I really cannot believe players do not complain about the screaming. Every single shot. Should be banned.

And still not sure if Coco is the next Serena, or the next Sloane Stephens. Seems to me there is something missing there.

Sabalenka screams her way over Coco. I really cannot believe players do not complain about the screaming. Every single shot. Should be banned.

And still not sure if Coco is the next Serena, or the next Sloane Stephens. Seems to me there is something missing there.
When she's 'on', Coco is very difficult to beat: big serve, very athletic. However, her forehand is inconsistent at best. She's capable of hitting 5 winners in a row and follow that up with 5 mishits in a row. She's plays with an unusual grip for the forehand and I think it adds to her inconsistency. It appears that she needs to have perfect timing and technique to hit it cleanly with her grip. Obviously, more times than not, she does. But, in big matches vs top players, she'll have several shots that look like I (a 3.5 USTA player) hit - frame, barely on the strings, 4 feet wide, etc.

1000% agree on Sabalenka's vocalization on every single damn shot. Has to be distracting to her opponent. Could also be used as a decoy - grunt really loud while hitting a very soft shot (or vice versa) to mislead your opponent as to how hard you're hitting the ball. WTA needs to rein that in and start penalizing AS for the yelling.

Reactions: bigbluedon
Azarenka is another one that screams every time she hits. I refuse to watch any women’s matches if there is a screamer involved. It’s ridiculous and should be against the rules.

Sinner upsets Djokovic in 4 sets. His 3rd win vs Djokovic in their last 4 matches.
Too early in the morning for me to watch, but the match stats looked outrageous. Djokovic had 54 unforced errors and didn't have a single break point chance against Sinner??? Wow. Who was that guy? Very un-Joker like.

The era of Big Three tennis is almost over. Djokovic, Nadal, and Federer dominated tennis for two decades with 24, 22, and 20 major titles. From 2003 - 2023 at least one of them won a grand slam. Collectively, they have been ranked number one for a total of 928 weeks (17 and 1/2 years!).

No, Joker will still compete at a very high level for a while. But, Sinner, Alcaraz, et al, will become more dominant. He may still win another GS or 2, but he won't always be the favorite going forward on every tournament. I mean, he's 36 with a lot of miles on the chassis and the new stars are early 20s. Father Time - 1,000,000, World class athletes - 0.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT