ADVERTISEMENT

your opinions on Murray possibly not here til Sept

ulismyman

Senior
Jan 11, 2015
What are your thoughts about Murray playing for Canada and not getting hete until septrmber maybe

As long as he keeps up with his college courses no issue with it at all. It looks like classes start on August 26th, 2015, at UK.

Playing for your country is a big deal. I do not think Murray not getting here until September is going to make any difference to UK's success or lack thereof on the basketball court this comign season.

I think it could hurt as far as getting to know the rest of the team and developing a comfort level. I'm sure Cal knew this was a possibility though.

It's not like he won't be playing basketball at a high level.

Also, the UK team won't start practicing together until around the time he will be here.

IMO, much to do about nothing.

Last edited:
Before September?

"Teams aren’t allowed to play official games (exhibition games don’t count, obviously) until the second Friday of November at the earliest, and the rules change means that teams can begin practice in late-September.

During the Division I Board of Directors meeting Thursday it was decided that teams can begin practice 42 days before the first game of the regular season."

Today on Matt Jones' Radio show he reintereated this by saying Murray would miss, at most, two practices.

Last edited:
Prefer he were on campus getting to know his new teammates and working on the court with them as well but sure can't blame the kid if he chooses to represent his country in those games. That's pretty darn big too.

Reactions: brianpoe
I think some of you love to say " he"s a troll"
..like that makes you a private detective or something...hey look at me i found another one....let it die already....Murray not being here is legit topic..
i dont like him not being here because he isnt gonna play that much dir to their point guard will be nack and he isnt gonna have a respit at all.....think about it....reclassify stress...college choice stress...pan am hoopla....now more Canada games...then rush to get to UK start classes...a lot going on there

Reactions: BigKari and mxkeid
I think some of you love to say " he"s a troll"
..like that makes you a private detective or something...hey look at me i found another one....let it die already....Murray not being here is legit topic..
i dont like him not being here because he isnt gonna play that much dir to their point guard will be nack and he isnt gonna have a respit at all.....think about it....reclassify stress...college choice stress...pan am hoopla....now more Canada games...then rush to get to UK start classes...a lot going on there

You're terrible. That's why you get called out every day.

Last edited:
Reactions: SosaUK and brianpoe
Everyone has an opinion...its just like Cowherd. I dont find what he said offensive...you might..nothing wrong with either side. It's what makes world go round.

Im aware there is a thread on it...i'm just making a point. Just because a topic is brought up that certain people donr agree with or might be controversial...that doesnt make them a troll.

Hello ulismyman, I will make a post in reply to your Murray concerns in a mature way instead of calling you a troll.

I guess all-star games are a small sample size, and maybe the Pan-Am games too, but Murray seems to have a great poise about him as well as all-around skill. Similar to the poise Russell had at Ohio State, or what Ulis currently has. There may or may not be some small setbacks from coming to UK a bit late, but I'm not too worried about Murray. I love the Harrisons and James Young, but coming to UK at the end of the summer did set them back a bit... Murray has been playing high level basketball, and while there will still be a learning curve (like there is for all freshmen), I have a gut feeling he will handle it better, and be in great shape when he finally gets here.

Maybe I'm wrong... It's just a young fan's prediction. But I hope I'm not! Go Cats!

We differ on that but thats okay. Murray definitely neefs to be on the floor in some capacity.

At one point on those Pan Am clips the issue of the FIBA games came up, and Murray was reported as saying that he couldn't because he'd be in class. Has that been superseded by some public comment?

I would prefer that he get to campus asap to start bonding with his team mates. Cal has always harped on the importance of this, but now, somehow, it isn't a concern and y'all call the OP a troll for saying it. If you remember,Cal blamed much of the Harrison's early struggles on getting to campus too late. To quote Cal,
“By not being here in the summer, they got behind the 8-ball conditioning wise,” Calipari said Wednesday. “So it took us half a year to get them in condition so we could really see, ‘Alright, what exactly can they do?’ ”

Here is the rest of the article. Once again there are a bunch on here who owe OP an apology.

http://www.coachcal.com/30541/2014/08/confident-harrison-twins-shaping-leaders/

Thanks Big Blue!!!!! I guess it is my fault. Apparently my delivery and pronunciation suck so bad my points get lost. That being said, i do know a little about the game.

He is still getting plenty of time on the court with his Canadian team. He should also get plenty of practice time with our players and there are two exhibition games as well.

I guess put me in the camp of i think he should go ahead and come to UK now. Is that selfish??? You bet ya. We only het this kid for one year anyway and i dont wanna hear the whole first 20 games...if only Jamal had gotten here with the rest of the players they would all be on same page. But i'm a UK fan not a Canada fan so i want whats best for the Cats....sorry.

i think it can only help him playing with and against professionals vs Pick-up games against college kids

Before September?

"Teams aren’t allowed to play official games (exhibition games don’t count, obviously) until the second Friday of November at the earliest, and the rules change means that teams can begin practice in late-September.

During the Division I Board of Directors meeting Thursday it was decided that teams can begin practice 42 days before the first game of the regular season."

Today on Matt Jones' Radio show he reintereated this by saying Murray would miss, at most, two practices.

They can't have organized practice, the team plays together every day they are on campus. They can run their own drills/workouts/pickup games.

I don't think it's a huge deal, but getting on campus early is nice just for bonding and getting a good flow going with the group. But as others have stated, it's not like he was out partying and playing video games during this time, he was playing vs. good competition for his country.

Well, you guys can bash me all you want, I can take it, but it mildly concerns me that he is choosing to stay with the Canadian team when he now has other priorities. The FIBA games could last until September 12th. I don't like the feeling I get from this at all. I understand his pride in representing Canada, but he has made a new commitment to UK and his new teammates and he needs to get on campus asap.

Murray's answer that he'd like to play for Canada but "I have to go to class" pretty much made it clear what he planned to do. I suppose he could change his mind after the hype of the Pan Am games. But he strikes me as a very focused kid with a focused family. That's probably why some people accuse the OP of being a troll. Whether intentionally or not he seems to stir up sh** when there is no reason to do so. But I'm not calling him a troll, just to be clear.

You don't remember Cal blaming the Harrison's late arrival for many of their difficulties?

What are your thoughts about Murray playing for Canada and not getting hete until septrmber maybe

I am very concerned. I want him here now. How can we possibly do without him. My goodness, how sad. We are going to fall apart.

The young man is representing his country. I admire that. That said it seemed arriving late set both Harrison's back a bit. I'm also thinking more time to develop some chemistry with the rest would have been good. Cal's got a challenge with 3 guys Murray, Ulis, and Briscoe all of whom essentially play the same position. Still it is what it is. It certainly appears his addition will be a big one for the Cat's. And it can't hurt for him to playing competitive basketball until then against a lot of more mature and experienced players.

The Harrisons didn't arrive late because they were playing high level basketball against some of the world's best players.

So not really apples to apples there.

I'd prefer Jamal go ahead and go to Lexington for chemistry purposes, but if Cal will be cool with his decision, so will I since Murray could care less what I think anyway.

Are people seriously comparing Murray to the Harrisons? LOL I love those guys, but Murray is a stud and those guys were/are not. I think a talent like Murray will be able to to adjust quicker.

And to the OP...it is not about you. This is Murray's life, and that is what it is all about. He should do what he wants, not to please you and the few other spoiled brat fans in this thread. You sound like the fan that wants Cardale Jones to just focus on "winning another natty title FOR US FANS!" LOL.

ADVERTISEMENT