ADVERTISEMENT

your opinions on Murray possibly not here til Sept

You don't remember Cal blaming the Harrison's late arrival for many of their difficulties?

2 different situations. The Harrison's were just late because they were late to arrive on campus. They were not playing international basketball so you know Murray is staying in shape and conditioning wise up to par. Sure, there is something to be said about playing with your teammates at UK and the early you get here, the better but I don't worry about conditioning wise and you have 4 months of actual games to get to know your teammates before March.

For what it's worth, I don't buy the bull Cal was selling in that article. I think he was trying to protect the Harrison's from media and fan scrutiny at the time bc the team was really struggling and he found an excuse.

Well, you guys can bash me all you want, I can take it, but it mildly concerns me that he is choosing to stay with the Canadian team when he now has other priorities. The FIBA games could last until September 12th. I don't like the feeling I get from this at all. I understand his pride in representing Canada, but he has made a new commitment to UK and his new teammates and he needs to get on campus asap.
Well you deserve to be bashed. Like others have pointed out, comparing the Harrisons arriving late to Murray is beyond irrelevant. The situations are not even remotely similar. Him not being here in until September 12th at the latest will not hurt the team.

It is all about priorities imo....Canada has no chance to win but UK has every chance to win the title...i know what i would do... but....

IMO It's always great to see players bonding and playing pickup ball over the summer. We have as always a lot of new players and I think it's important to start building a TEAM as soon as possible. It's definitely an advantage to be cohesive and familiar with your team mates especially when you have our early season schedule. That's why we play in Canada or the Bahamas every chance we get. Having said all that you can't blame Murray for wanting to play for his Country and for him I'm sure it's been a great learning experience

It is all about priorities imo....Canada has no chance to win but UK has every chance to win the title...i know what i would do... but....

you are trying so hard to make something out of nothing

who is to say that him, playing and practicing against professionals is or is not the best way for him to help UK win #9 vs missing 2 practices with UK?
i would hope a smart guy like you knows the true answer to that question
did missing the first semester hurt Jarnell Stokes (UT)?
did Wall missing 2 exhibition games hurt him?

i could go on and on, but you get the point

Well, you guys can bash me all you want, I can take it, but it mildly concerns me that he is choosing to stay with the Canadian team when he now has other priorities. The FIBA games could last until September 12th. I don't like the feeling I get from this at all. I understand his pride in representing Canada, but he has made a new commitment to UK and his new teammates and he needs to get on campus asap.
I personally would understand if representing his country superseded participating in whatever activities occur before September. How much is he actually going to miss? I guess he won't get to interact with the others as early, but as far as preparing for the season, I don't see how this doesn't help.

I personally would understand if representing his country superseded participating in whatever activities occur before September. How much is he actually going to miss? I guess he won't get to interact with the others as early, but as far as preparing for the season, I don't see how this doesn't help.

And..it wasn't like he practiced with the current Canadian team for a long time and seemed to fit in pretty nicely. I think he will be ok, but would selfishly rather he be here.

Reactions: BillionthUKFan
you are trying so hard to make something out of nothing

who is to say that him, playing and practicing against professionals is or is not the best way for him to help UK win #9 vs missing 2 practices with UK?
i would hope a smart guy like you knows the true answer to that question
did missing the first semester hurt Jarnell Stokes (UT)?
did Wall missing 2 exhibition games hurt him?

i could go on and on, but you get the point

You are giving him way more credit than he deserves.

Reactions: SosaUK

You are being selfish. I want him here too though...

Seriously though, there is a bit of a difference with the Harrison's situation and Murray don't you think? Cal mentioned "conditioning-wise" and Jamal will be in tip top shape I would assume.

It would be great for him and the other guards to start playing with each other as much as possible.

Has this even been confirmed yet?

Reactions: Teachable Moe
Well you deserve to be bashed. Like others have pointed out, comparing the Harrisons arriving late to Murray is beyond irrelevant. The situations are not even remotely similar. Him not being here in until September 12th at the latest will not hurt the team.

The situations are what is irrelevant. Anyone should be able to see that. Why they are late had nothing to do with Cals comments about it putting them behind. It didn't matter whether it was because of class work or playing FIBA games. The effect is the same with regard to chemistry, conditioning and preparation for the upcoming season at UK. I also said I was mildly concerned. Obviously Cal was concerned over players getting to campus so late, but it isn't ok to point that out is it? Pathetic.

The situations are what is irrelevant. Anyone should be able to see that. Why they are late had nothing to do with Cals comments about it putting them behind. It didn't matter whether it was because of class work or playing FIBA games. The effect is the same with regard to chemistry, conditioning and preparation for the upcoming season at UK. I also said I was mildly concerned. Obviously Cal was concerned over players getting to campus so late, but it isn't ok to point that out is it? Pathetic.

I don't disagree with the chemistry and possibly preparation aspects. I think he will be well conditioned and he is definitely coming as a better player than Andrew.

You are being selfish. I want him here too though...

Seriously though, there is a bit of a difference with the Harrison's situation and Murray don't you think? Cal mentioned "conditioning-wise" and Jamal will be in tip top shape I would assume.

It would be great for him and the other guards to start playing with each other as much as possible.

Has this even been confirmed yet?

Brian, I'm not being selfish, I'm pointing out what Cal said a player who arrives late misses out on and how it can set their development behind. Did you read the link or just the little part I quoted? There is much more than conditioning and I doubt seriously that the kind of conditioning Cal is talking about was taking place playing FIBA games. I'm not being selfish at all. I just think he needs to get here asap. He has new responsibilities, new teammates, new bonds and chemistry to form. According to an article from a Toronto paper, it hasn't been ruled out that he could play in Mexico city. I hope he doesn't do that.

Brian, I'm not being selfish, I'm pointing out what Cal said a player who arrives late misses out on and how it can set their development behind. Did you read the link or just the little part I quoted? There is much more than conditioning and I doubt seriously that the kind of conditioning Cal is talking about was taking place playing FIBA games. I'm not being selfish at all. I just think he needs to get here asap. He has new responsibilities, new teammates, new bonds and chemistry to form. According to an article from a Toronto paper, it hasn't been ruled out that he could play in Mexico city. I hope he doesn't do that.

I was just joking on the selfish part, though I will admit that my wanting him here is.

Let's agree it is in UK's best interest that he be here as soon as possible.

Can we also agree that if any new player is going to come in later than the others that Jamal would be the best prepared and possibly be the best to overcome the situation?

Like I said, the situations aren't the same at all. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Just stop. The Harrisons arriving late had no affect on UK making it to the Championship game, what matters.

This is from the Sporting News with plenty of comments from Cal:

Jamal Murray is causing a bit of problem for the gentlemen in charge of Canada’s national basketball team. It’s a good problem to have.

Before he tore through the Pan-American Games competition, ranking second on the team in scoring and leading Canada to a semifinal victory over the United States, Murray’s presence in the competition represented an opportunity for him to gain experience for future international events. But not necessarily the immediate future.

Between Aug. 31 and Sept. 12, Canada will participate in the FIBA Americas Championship, which serves as the regional qualifier for the 2016 Olympic Games. Canada very much wants its surging talent pool to be represented in Rio and could have such NBA players as Andrew Wiggins, Nik Stauskas, Cory Joseph and Tristan Thompson available in addition to the players who earned a Pan-Am silver medal. The top two teams in FIBA Americas qualify for the Olympics; two semifinal losers enter a qualification tournament staged in advance of the Games.

Murray’s presence for FIBA Americas previously did not seem to be essential, and that was a good thing because the University of Kentucky begins fall semester classes on Aug. 26. If he is selected to represent Canada through the end of the tournament, then he could potentially miss two weeks of classes. But after he played so well in the Pan Ams, it’s possible Canada would not be able to field its best team without him.

Kentucky coach John Calipari told Sporting News he provided Canada Basketball officials with a "drop-dead” date Murray would have to arrive on campus to begin the fall term and be eligible to compete in NCAA basketball for the full season.

“We’ll see if there’s any way he can do both, because that’s what I want,” Calipari said. “The kid absolutely wants to play for the national team, and we want that. But the NCAA has really clear guidelines on this.

“This kid is so much for his country, I can’t begin to tell you. Whatever we can do, we’re going to do.”

Murray is a 6-5, 196-pound point guard from Kitchener, Ontario, who committed in June to play next season at Kentucky. Calipari said he spent two days in Canada watching the team train in advance of the Pan-Ams and spoke with team general manager Steve Nash and head coach Jay Triano.

“They are about this kid. They’re not going to do anything that hurts this kid’s career,” Calipari said. “What I’m happy about is, even if he goes there and trains with their team, think of the work he gets in. He’s 18 and he’s playing with pros.”

Kentucky had a similar situation last fall with freshman center Karl-Anthony Towns, who is a part of the Dominican Republic national team program and played for Calipari in 2011 and 2012, when he was the head coach. Dominicana qualified for the 2014 FIBA World Cup, which ran Aug. 30-Sept. 14. Towns did not participate. Calipari said, “With Karl, we couldn’t make that happen.”

Murray scored 22 points in the fourth quarter and overtime against the U.S. in the Pan-Am semis, including a game-tying 3-pointer that forced the extra period and two more long-range shots on the way to victory. Calipari said watching Murray excel gave him reason to be enthused about the 2015-16 Kentucky season – particularly the idea of being able to play three ballhandling, attacking guards in Murray, classmate Isaiah Briscoe and sophomore Tyler Ulis.

“Those games were huge games. He is playing games that matter, and the kid is becoming better and more confident,” Calipari said. “It changes who we are, like real fast. We’re different now. Now you have 2-3 guys you can play off their instincts. You don’t have to run 6,000 plays. It’s good stuff.”

Trust me, I want the kid to compete for his country as there is no bigger honor in sport than to put on your country's colors and represent them. That being said, I also want him on campus selfishly as a UK fan. I know how sh*tty the NCAA can be and if he isn't on campus and enrolled in classes, this might be a problem. Can you imagine the rival fan bases bitching regarding one of our players missing more than two weeks worth of classes? I know our compliance dept. is the best in the world, but I really hope he decides to enroll for the start of classes and gets on campus.

Last edited:
Like I said, the situations aren't the same at all. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Just stop. The Harrisons arriving late had no affect on UK making it to the Championship game, what matters.

Well, stick to your guns I guess, even when your basic point has been refuted. The situations have nothing to do with when they get to campus. Also, I said in the original post that is was mildly concerned, in other words, a mole hill. You guys have built the mountain.

Clearly, Cal is concerned as well. Oh well, I"m sure he'll get here in time but earlier would be better than later.

This thread kind of escalated a bit too quickly and we don't even know if it will be an issue.

This thread kind of escalated a bit too quickly and we don't even know if it will be an issue.

^This. I raised this point earlier (and it's hinted at it the "possibly" of the thread title), but comments have gotten a bit emotional when there's no indication that it's even going to happen.

If you were ever a recruitable athlete then what you would do would matter. Since you're not...

Well, stick to your guns I guess, even when your basic point has been refuted. The situations have nothing to do with when they get to campus. Also, I said in the original post that is was mildly concerned, in other words, a mole hill. You guys have built the mountain.
It's not a big deal or a small deal. If you're even a bit concerned about it then you're just a worry wart. Overall, Cal sees it as a positive.

Cal isn't concerned other than the date he has to be at UK to be in accordance with the NCAA guidelines. Has nothing to do with how he'll fit on the team. As I said, this kid is learning from Steve Nash while he is with that team. Outside of a handful or so of PG's to have ever played this game you can't do much better than Steve Nash. It's a win-win.

Reactions: brianpoe
To answer the OP's question:

If someone wanted to give me $25,000 and could have given it to me this week, you won't find me complaining if the money arrives in September instead of late July.

That is to say, we have one of the few transcendent players in high school coming to Kentucky. Whether he arrives via train, bicycle, or on the back of a snail, it matters not to me. The only thing that matters is that he's indeed coming.

I think some of you love to say " he"s a troll"
..like that makes you a private detective or something...hey look at me i found another one....let it die already....Murray not being here is legit topic..
i dont like him not being here because he isnt gonna play that much dir to their point guard will be nack and he isnt gonna have a respit at all.....think about it....reclassify stress...college choice stress...pan am hoopla....now more Canada games...then rush to get to UK start classes...a lot going on there

But in everyone's defense you do not know what if any he will miss. So why worry until we do know.

..like that makes you a private detective or something...hey look at me i found another one....let it die already....Murray not being here is legit topic..
i dont like him not being here because he isnt gonna play that much dir to their point guard will be nack and he isnt gonna have a respit at all.....think about it....reclassify stress...college choice stress...pan am hoopla....now more Canada games...then rush to get to UK start classes...a lot going on there
Why didn't you put that in the opening thread? Why wait until the thread is going? passive aggressive behavior

You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to realize you are a troll. Pretty much just need a head on your shoulders.

Also, you get called a troll because, wait for it. That's what you are.

It's not a big deal or a small deal. If you're even a bit concerned about it then you're just a worry wart. Overall, Cal sees it as a positive.

Ok, I see that. Still wish he were on campus already but Cal seems fine. My statement about Cal being concerned was regarding the drop dead date. Im sure Cal will actually be much happier when he's on campus too.

First time poster - here from the Canadian perspective. I'm a UNC fan (due to Canadian Rick Fox being their best player when I was getting into college ball) - but I'll be watching lots of UK games to keep tabs on Murray this year. Anyway, I'm desperately hoping Murray gets to play in the FIBA tournament as we will definitely need him. Tyler Ennis was slated to be our backup PG but will miss the tourney with a shoulder injury - so we have a real need for Murray on our team. Qualifying for the Olympics would be huge for basketball in Canada and we need all hands on deck to get through. We'll be starting Cory Joseph and Nik Stauskas at guard - and I would expect Murray to likely be our 3rd guard and play with both guys some.

For UK - I think the experience of playing in this tournament would only be good for Murray. He'll be going against NBA players in camp and in practices - and going against NBA players and other Pros in the games. The Canada FIBA team will be much stronger than the Pan Am team - so it's likely Murray will have the ball in his hands less and need to work on cutting and coming off screens to get looks. I think that can only serve him well as he heads to UK where he won't always be on the ball.

As for coming in a bit late - I don't see that as an issue. He'll have from Sept to March to build chemistry with his UK teammates before the lights come on for real. It's not like UK is in danger of stumbling so often early while he's acclimating that they end up on the bubble or something. I think the improvement in Murray's game that might come from playing the FIBA tourney will far outweigh any minor acclimation period issues.

Though I know UNC and UK are rivals - I've never had any animosity toward UK. I save all that for Duke and NC State. Looking forward to watching Murray at UK all year - wish you guys the best of luck this year.

Murray arriving late won't affect the march version of the 2015-2016 UK men's basketball team. That's all that truly matters. It could affect things early, maybe we lose to duke or ku, but I don't think it factors it when the games start to really matter.

How about instead of being whiny about something thay may never happen, just wait until it actually happens in order to whine?

How about instead of being whiny about something thay may never happen, just wait until it actually happens in order to whine?

Worrying about whining is the new Nazism. We need some new threads to give greater scope to our complaints.

Would Cal growing a mustachio harm our march to #9?
Smelly feet in the locker room. Who's the worst?
Are sound canceling earphones the new thugs?
Did someone on another board say something rude?
Is Cal our best recruiter since Alpha Brummage?
Which player could play best with a 3rd arm?
Is this a gang sign or just someone picking his nose?
Which superhero would hurt team chemistry the most?
If UL is egg salad, what is Duke?
Cal: saint or president of the moon?

Here is what you quoted Cal on about the Harrison's: To quote Cal,
“By not being here in the summer,
they got behind the 8-ball conditioning wise,” Calipari said Wednesday. “So it took us half a year to get them in condition so we could really see, ‘Alright, what exactly can they do?’ ”

The point several of us are trying to make is Murray will not be behind the 8 ball conditioning wise because he is playing International Basketball something the Harrison's were not doing. They just showed up when they felt like it. Like I said, it's something to be said for getting to campus early and getting to gel with your teammates but he'll still be here at the latest Sept giving him 2 months to jump in. Like JazzyCat said the Harrison's arrival time didn't make any difference bc the team got to a title game anyway. Last year's team all arrived early and they didn't even make it to the title game.

Again, I think Cal was just making excuses to try to get the pressure off the Twins. I don't believe anything he said in that article.

ADVERTISEMENT