ADVERTISEMENT

Would the following scenario put you back in the "give Cal another year" camp?

Kentucky makes the Elite Eight and loses in a close game.

In the month after the game, the following players announce they are all returning:

DJ Wagner
Reed Sheppard
Justin Edwards
Adou Thiero
Jordan Burks
Ugonna Onyenso
Big Z

Then it became disclosed that Calipari talked each of them into coming back, and made it his personal mission to bring back the core from the current team in order to chase #9.

Thoughts?
None of those first 3 are coming back, i wish we could dream they were but it’s Kentucky and we all know they are gone

Just leave, I don't give a **** who's coming back. It doesn't matter as long as he is the coach. Look at our roster, and then look at our record. 3 home losses with this team? Just get the **** away from the program.
Exactly, the Tennessee loss is atleast to a good team and if the effort were better can be forgiven. Uncw & Florida are bad losses, neither of the two are good and Kentucky choked in both scenarios

In the month after the game, the following players announce they are all returning:

DJ Wagner
Reed Sheppard
Justin Edwards
Adou Thiero
Jordan Burks
Ugonna Onyenso
Big Z

Then it became disclosed that Calipari talked each of them into coming back, and made it his personal mission to bring back the core from the current team in order to chase #9.

Thoughts?
None whatsoever. Cal is the worst and needs to go. I personally would love to see Barney Fire him.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I said many many times last year that this would be cal's last year. Whatever happened to @kyjeff anyways? We used to talk about it all the time. But since I said it, I will stick with it. Although I also assumed cal would leave on a high note. His ego is too big to back his way out. So the dude may stay until he gets the ending he wants. We truly are at his mercy because he is not getting fired. My guess is he will find a way to fall upward somehow and leave in a way that makes him look good.

DJ Wagner
Reed Sheppard
Justin Edwards
Adou Thiero
Jordan Burks
Ugonna Onyenso
Big Z

Thoughts?
Appealing but can't ever see that happening because we're not dealing with a rational man.

I believe this UK roster for 2024/25 could be possible, BUT there isn't alot of shooting outside of the three guards. So, they would have to dominate defensively, blocked shots, rebound margin, efficient offense. Bring in or designate an assistant with implementing a 2-3 (?) zone at least to the point where it's useable if needed and not completely foreign to the players.

Pick ten of the eleven below, run a simulated platoon during non-conference (at least), Unit #1/ 5-minutes, Unit #2/ 4-minutes.

(Example)
Unit #1 (5-minute cycles)
R. Sheppard
B. Fland
A. Thiero
Big Z
U. Onyenso

Unit #2 (4-minute cycles)
T. Perry
B. Richmond
J. Hart/ J. Burks
J. Quaintance
S. Cyril

Really don't see this as a possibility..........
Justin Edwards
DJ Wagner

DJ Wagner
Reed Sheppard
Justin Edwards
Adou Thiero
Jordan Burks
Ugonna Onyenso
Big Z

Thoughts?
We did this last year, too. And the year before.

It's Final Four or GTFO with this roster for me. Next year's team won't be nearly as talented, barring a wave of experienced portal transfers.

The returning player dream you listed is not remotely possible, so I'll pass on that hypothetical, sorry.

Reactions: RunninRichie

DJ Wagner
Reed Sheppard
Justin Edwards
Adou Thiero
Jordan Burks
Ugonna Onyenso
Big Z

Thoughts?
Not a chance Cal would do that, it would mean that he would actually say he needs the players and not the other way around. Cal could care less about #9, for UK. If we win anything it is by luck, he is only interested in the NBA. I vote him off BBN Island!

Reactions: know1

DJ Wagner
Reed Sheppard
Justin Edwards
Adou Thiero
Jordan Burks
Ugonna Onyenso
Big Z

Thoughts?
omg seriously,yes probably.Im a sucker

• Haha
He needs to compete for a championship. Lucky for him that can only happen in March and April.

1. I’m final four or bust to be honest…
2. As far as those guys coming back…I don’t see wqgner coming back as Boogie Fland is sort of that lead guard. Also Ugo is similar…Somto snd Quantenance are not going to sit

I get your points…but Cal has built up this merry go round and can’t get off …and he isn’t winning with it. So it’s a mess
Me too. Final 4 or get a new coach in here. Plenty of coaches could win more 1 NCAA Tournament game in 4 years with his last few rosters. Recruiting may take a small step back but I think it would be minimal if you hired Oates or Drew.

I said many many times last year that this would be cal's last year. Whatever happened to @kyjeff anyways? We used to talk about it all the time. But since I said it, I will stick with it. Although I also assumed cal would leave on a high note. His ego is too big to back his way out. So the dude may stay until he gets the ending he wants. We truly are at his mercy because he is not getting fired. My guess is he will find a way to fall upward somehow and leave in a way that makes him look good.
Jeff is on the main board. Think he got banned on here.

No. It's National Title or Bust. Read these same threads last year. With this year's class with the recent years of disappointment, there are no ultimatums. We basically saw this scenario already in 2013-14, go on a deep Tournament run after a disappointing regular season, most of them came back the next year for a Final 4 in 2014-15 but still could not get the job done.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz

DJ Wagner
Reed Sheppard
Justin Edwards
Adou Thiero
Jordan Burks
Ugonna Onyenso
Big Z

Thoughts?

Nope

At least a Final Four run this season AND at least Sheppard back.

Then I probably give him a shot.

I would need to know Cal is a changed coach and is dedicated to putting UK ahead of any personal or legacy goals he has.

Until that happens, nothing short of a national title would change my mind, and if I am being honest I would be pretty salty about that.
He just proved with his All-Star remarks that he is most definitely NOT a changed man.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT