ADVERTISEMENT

Would the following scenario put you back in the "give Cal another year" camp?

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
Kentucky makes the Elite Eight and loses in a close game.

In the month after the game, the following players announce they are all returning:

DJ Wagner
Reed Sheppard
Justin Edwards
Adou Thiero
Jordan Burks
Ugonna Onyenso
Big Z

Then it became disclosed that Calipari talked each of them into coming back, and made it his personal mission to bring back the core from the current team in order to chase #9.

Thoughts?

Not even close. It's posts like this that show a large segment of our fans just don't get it.

It should have been his personal mission all along to win #9. And then 10, 11, 12,...

It clearly hasn't even been close to his mission for many years now. Maybe most of his time here.

In the month after the game, the following players announce they are all returning:

DJ Wagner
Reed Sheppard
Justin Edwards
Adou Thiero
Jordan Burks
Ugonna Onyenso
Big Z

Then it became disclosed that Calipari talked each of them into coming back, and made it his personal mission to bring back the core from the current team in order to chase #9.

Thoughts?
I do not want Cal anywhere near this Program under any circumstance. Give me somebody who wants to coach for the University of Kentucky and who is interested in preserving our tradition. Cal is looking to save the world one player at a time, fact is these same players would have made it to the NBA without him anyway.

DJ Wagner
Reed Sheppard
Justin Edwards
Adou Thiero
Jordan Burks
Ugonna Onyenso
Big Z

Thoughts?
5ztSvz.gif

1. I’m final four or bust to be honest…
2. As far as those guys coming back…I don’t see wqgner coming back as Boogie Fland is sort of that lead guard. Also Ugo is similar…Somto snd Quantenance are not going to sit

I get your points…but Cal has built up this merry go round and can’t get off …and he isn’t winning with it. So it’s a mess

1. I’m final four or bust to be honest…
2. As far as those guys coming back…I don’t see wqgner coming back as Boogie Fland is sort of that lead guard. Also Ugo is similar…Somto snd Quantenance are not going to sit

I get your points…but Cal has built up this merry go round and can’t get off …and he isn’t winning with it. So it’s a mess
Also no way Z would come back after his mistreatment.

Not even close. It's posts like this that show a large segment of our fans just don't get it.

It should have been his personal mission all along to win #9. And then 10, 11, 12,...

It clearly hasn't even been close to his mission for many years now. Maybe most of his time here.
Also, it would still be coached by Cal. Folks, Kentucky's struggles isn't the players. Look around at the teams beating us with lesser talent. We don't get Kentucky basketball back until there's a coaching change.

I do not want Cal anywhere near this Program under any circumstance. Give me somebody who wants to coach for the University of Kentucky and who is interested in preserving our tradition. Cal is looking to save the world one player at a time, fact is these same players would have made it to the NBA without him anyway.
This is what gets me, that sanctimonious a$$ with all of his generational poverty BS. He’s not putting anybody in the NBA, he’s just giving them a comfortable transition.

Also, it would still be coached by Cal. Folks, Kentucky's struggles isn't the players. Look around at the teams beating us with lesser talent. We don't get Kentucky basketball back until there's a coaching change.
Even in 2012 with Lamb and Jones coming back, and senior leadership along with a transcendent generational player, we still nearly choked against KU in the final game.

DJ Wagner
Reed Sheppard
Justin Edwards
Adou Thiero
Jordan Burks
Ugonna Onyenso
Big Z

Thoughts?
Of course, but we all know the odds of that happening are less than Cal playing a zone.

No, because 5 games into the next year, he would forget one of them was on the bench. And/or about 10 games into the next year, they would start dropping like flies with mysterious injuries. Rinse and repeat is what we have done the last 5 years. This time, let’s rinse, but not repeat. The fan base is exhausted. Time to move on.

Maybe, but that would never be close to the true reality. It’s more likely that none of those guys are wearing UK jerseys next year.

Even in 2012 with Lamb and Jones coming back, and senior leadership along with a transcendent generational player, we still nearly choked against KU in the final game.
But we didn't. Good god man, grow a set. You've been crying for a month straight. It's one thing to cry about the current state of the program but you're out here crying over the natty year. stop being a bitch

Reactions: ukcatz12
I would be fine with him coming back if that was who we had coming back next year. I still would have very little hope that Cal would win a title with that roster.

I almost would give him a pass if he finishes the regular season 8-2. I thought this team would lose 6-7 games anyway. But the contingency is that he keeps a mass exodus from happening this off season, makes the E8. And shows that he is actually doing some coaching to finish the season.

I don’t see wqgner coming back as Boogie Fland is sort of that lead guard.…Somto snd Quantenance are not going to sit
Does this not frighten anyone? Really? Fans believe that these Freshman are somehow going to be more talented as freshman than our current roster? If we don't win a championship this year it isn't going to happen next year.

Does this not frighten anyone? Really? Fans believe that these Freshman are somehow going to be more talented as freshman than our current roster? If we don't win a championship this year it isn't going to happen next year.
Agree. This is Cal's best chance. The incoming players for next year are not as good on paper. The portal is the best chance to re-stock but Cal protects his incoming Freshman and will not "recruit" over them

DJ Wagner
Reed Sheppard
Justin Edwards
Adou Thiero
Jordan Burks
Ugonna Onyenso
Big Z

Thoughts?
No he has screwed up enough... past time to move on. One NCAAT win in the last 4 years....2 SECT wins in the past 5 years.

This is what gets me, that sanctimonious a$$ with all of his generational poverty BS. He’s not putting anybody in the NBA, he’s just giving them a comfortable transition.
Agree with you. CCC is not putting anyone in the NBA. AD, Karl, Shai, Devin etc could have went to college at any school and made the NBA. CCC gets to much credit for "developing" these players.

Meh, I was ready for this to be his last year. I don't really love this collection of talent/mindsets anyways.

All that said, I'm not counting us out quite yet this year. I don't know what the heck is going on in the locker room, but this is often the time where Cal (or the rest of the team, not giving him the credit), pulls it together and ramps up. We saw it with the Fox year, we've seen it in 2011 and 2014.

Does Cal have it in him? Is this team mentally strong enough? I'm not sure. But, there's a chance. Shit if they would just get healthy and try on defense even just a bit, we'd be back to being a top5 team IMO.

This is exactly why he is such an a$$ to the fans. They want him fired one minute and willing to let him stay the next. He knows he can play some of the fans and do as he pleases. Either you want better for the program or you don’t but stop being subject to all the mind games and stand your ground. It doesn’t matter who returns, if he can’t coach them this year what makes you think he can next year? This team doesn’t even display fundamental defensive skills. My elementary teacher was able to teach that to a group of 3rd graders. Not sure if the OP was trolling or sincere but if you’re saying yes you might need counseling for Stockholm syndrome.

DJ Wagner
Reed Sheppard
Justin Edwards
Adou Thiero
Jordan Burks
Ugonna Onyenso
Big Z

Thoughts?
The plane! The plane!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT