ADVERTISEMENT

Would Michigan actually leave the big?

Absolutely not. They lost to Feleipe Franks and Jake Bentley back-to-back years. That’s beyond pathetic. Even though we probably did, but…we’re not “Michigan”.

It's one of my favorite things when people get caught cheating and then get indignant about it.
If I had a vote in a poll they would be outside the top 25.

An article here suggesting it. Interested to get your thoughts. Would you welcome them to the SEC? I have to say, if it broke the big, I'd have to think about it.

Nope. I just don't see it. They got caught with their hand in the cookie jar and now they want to take the ball and go home. Hilarious tantrum on display is all it is.

Reactions: Ugoff
An article here suggesting it. Interested to get your thoughts. Would you welcome them to the SEC? I have to say, if it broke the big, I'd have to think about it.

I am not thrilled with Texas coming on board, they killed 2 conferences and will come here trying to bully everyone to get their way. Michigan has a high opinion of themselves, saying this is to keep them from winning a championship. They are convinced they will roll threw the playoffs. When UGA played the that fat OL wore t-shirts say we own the line and run the ball. Both sides of their LOS was abused, their outland award winner did record a stat and Jordan Davis moved the LOS back 2 yards every play. Now the start and end every practice with "Beat Georgia". Let the cheaters face the people they had to cheat to beat every week.

I don't think they'll leave.....especially for something this minor. And, yes, this is minor. In fact, it's not even against the rules to steal signs. Teams are welcome to do it on game day, they're welcome to use TV coverage, and even pass signals on teams with other teams. It's just not legal to go watch/video a practice, etc. (which everyone still does) To illustrate how minor this is, they only gave Harbaugh 3 games.....but still allowed him to practice, travel, etc.....he just can't be physically at the games.

I don't think they'll leave.....especially for something this minor. And, yes, this is minor. In fact, it's not even against the rules to steal signs. Teams are welcome to do it on game day, they're welcome to use TV coverage, and even pass signals on teams with other teams. It's just not legal to go watch/video a practice, etc. (which everyone still does) To illustrate how minor this is, they only gave Harbaugh 3 games.....but still allowed him to practice, travel, etc.....he just can't be physically at the games.

So everyone is breaking the rules? What he did was cheating. Buying tickets on 50 yard line opposite of who he was spying on and filming signals and noting what the play was. Was a pretty big deal when they didn't have info on TCU. Half the teams in SEC would hurt their feeling because their supposed best OL in the county is so slow they can't get out of their own way.

Reactions: UK_fanatic
I certainly could see Michigan leaving the Big 10, and it is for the same reasons that I see the Power Conferences abandoning the NCAA. The Big 10 just punished a school without due process, and for violating a rule that they made up. Add in that the punishment doesn't follow along with any of their prescribed guidelines.

One of the biggest issues with the NCAA is that there is no possible way anyone can figure out when they are going to decide if a school broke the rules, or what that punishment might be. Penn State gets hammered because a former coach is a pedophile which was a crime, but had nothing to do with the NCAA, while UNC was giving out fake degrees and forging academic records to keep players eligible for games, and they don't get so much as a finger wag.

The Big 10 commissioner made a massive overreach. The argument to leave wouldn't have anything to do with protecting Harbaugh. It would have to do with what comes next. When will the Big 10 decide to punish them again without an investigation, a clear violation of league rules and within the guidelines of a specific punishment structure?

The NCAA has a rule about advanced scouting. The Big 10 does not. The NCAA can punish Head Coaches for actions their assistants are involved in. The BIG 10 restricts this punishment to the Institution. Harbaugh may be guilty, he may not. That isn't the issue at hand. The Big 10 just opened the door to being able to punish a school anytime they want, for whatever reason they choose, with no need for investigation/evidence, to provide no options for appeal and to deliver whatever punishment they arbitrarily decide on. I can easily see how a school with the clout of Michigan would simply say screw this. I could also see some of the other big boys in the conference looking at this and saying we're out as well. It is a horrible precedent.

The issue at hand is that Michigan will not need any leverage to get themselves out of this. The problem is that everyone wants to take sides based on personal feelings about this. They are looking at it from a fan's point of view and not from a legal/rules standpoint.

The Big 10 has a set of conference rules. When it comes to NCAA investigations, once the Big 10 discovers that the NCAA has started an investigation they can add additional punishments, but only AFTER the NCAA has issued its ruling. They are also limited in what punishment they can hand out to the Institution itself, and/or to the individuals who are found to have specifically violated rules.

The commissioner has admitted that up until this point, neither the NCAA nor the Big 10 have any evidence that directly links Jim Harbaugh to this rules violation. That may come later as the NCAA completes its investigation. For now, the BIG 10 does not have the authority to punish Harbaugh because of an NCAA violation.

What the Big 10 Commissioner decided to do was institute this suspension based on their Sportsmanship policy. However, that policy limits punishments to individuals who have directly violated Big Ten rules, or to the Institutions themselves. Since they have already admitted that they have no evidence that Harbaugh broke the rules they are not allowed to punish him. Their argument is that they are punishing the institution by preventing the head of the football program from coaching games. It is an incredibly weak argument, and unlikely to hold up in court. This has also opened the door for Harbaugh to have a very strong civil case that will allow him to sue for damages and probably win a large sum of cash from the Big 10.

So, for those who feel that Haurbaugh should be punished, this will most likely have the opposite effect. He will probably be on the sidelines for the Ohio State game, which is the only one that really matters. If they win that game, then he will not be punished in the post-season. And then he will probably get a big fat check from the Big 10 as a going away present as he heads to the NFL. Meanwhile, the Big 10 is damaged significantly as a result of all of this.

So to translate.
Michigan loud mouths knew they were guilty of much worse. After pretend outrage, rolled over to not get caught. For now. Big 10 still wants that playoff money this year. NCAA will slap them on wrist for other cyber crimes they find later.

So to translate.
Michigan loud mouths knew they were guilty of much worse. After pretend outrage, rolled over to not get caught. For now. Big 10 still wants that playoff money this year. NCAA will slap them on wrist for other cyber crimes they find later.

They do think highly of themselves after getting embarrassed in the playoffs the last 2 years Getting blown out by UGA in 21 and beaten by TCU in 22. But they saved getting blown out by UGA again by choking against TCU.

I love how UM breaks the rules and then they have the indignation to get mad when they get caught. Kind of a pattern with Harbaugh. Lied to the NCAA earlier this year. I think he thinks he is above the rules..

The issue at hand is that Michigan will not need any leverage to get themselves out of this. The problem is that everyone wants to take sides based on personal feelings about this. They are looking at it from a fan's point of view and not from a legal/rules standpoint.

The Big 10 has a set of conference rules. When it comes to NCAA investigations, once the Big 10 discovers that the NCAA has started an investigation they can add additional punishments, but only AFTER the NCAA has issued its ruling. They are also limited in what punishment they can hand out to the Institution itself, and/or to the individuals who are found to have specifically violated rules.

The commissioner has admitted that up until this point, neither the NCAA nor the Big 10 have any evidence that directly links Jim Harbaugh to this rules violation. That may come later as the NCAA completes its investigation. For now, the BIG 10 does not have the authority to punish Harbaugh because of an NCAA violation.

What the Big 10 Commissioner decided to do was institute this suspension based on their Sportsmanship policy. However, that policy limits punishments to individuals who have directly violated Big Ten rules, or to the Institutions themselves. Since they have already admitted that they have no evidence that Harbaugh broke the rules they are not allowed to punish him. Their argument is that they are punishing the institution by preventing the head of the football program from coaching games. It is an incredibly weak argument, and unlikely to hold up in court. This has also opened the door for Harbaugh to have a very strong civil case that will allow him to sue for damages and probably win a large sum of cash from the Big 10.

So, for those who feel that Haurbaugh should be punished, this will most likely have the opposite effect. He will probably be on the sidelines for the Ohio State game, which is the only one that really matters. If they win that game, then he will not be punished in the post-season. And then he will probably get a big fat check from the Big 10 as a going away present as he heads to the NFL. Meanwhile, the Big 10 is damaged significantly as a result of all of this.
Michigan was sticking their chest out a week ago, threatening legal action. Today, they said “no thanks, we’re good”. Surely they would not have backed down if they really had a strong case and didn’t fear what might be exposed in court. Also, their co-defensive coordinator just deleted his twitter account. Very ironic timing, especially with signing day creeping up.

The poll voters could take care of this and drop them out of the rankings. It's public opinion, not the law and they can do that if they want.

The new CFB war isn't conference vs conference, it is Fox vs ESPN/ABC. ESPN negotiating to get Michigan to get same deal as Notre Dame would hurt Fox.....Mich independent, but playing guaranteed 4 or 5 ACC a year, all horne games on ABC. They would get to go south, and east coast with Pitt & Cuse, West with Cal & Stanford, Texas with SMU.

But yeah just sour grapes right now, nothing will ome of it

The new CFB war isn't conference vs conference, it is Fox vs ESPN/ABC. ESPN negotiating to get Michigan to get same deal as Notre Dame would hurt Fox.....Mich independent, but playing guaranteed 4 or 5 ACC a year, all horne games on ABC. They would get to go south, and east coast with Pitt & Cuse, West with Cal & Stanford, Texas with SMU.

But yeah just sour grapes right now, nothing will ome of it

Mich just fired an on field coach because he knew something. Yet all the Mich fans are concerned about is their hard working boys getting penalized. Play by the rules. What about all those hard working kids who played for coaches with some ethics and morals? Then they say if they were in the SEC this would be ok.

They cheated, were caught and want act like it wasn't an advantage. If they were getting an advantage they wouldn't have kept doing it. Tom Brady was a cheater and a Michigan man, seem to be one in the same now.

Michigan was sticking their chest out a week ago, threatening legal action. Today, they said “no thanks, we’re good”. Surely they would not have backed down if they really had a strong case and didn’t fear what might be exposed in court. Also, their co-defensive coordinator just deleted his twitter account. Very ironic timing, especially with signing day creeping up.
And with the latest news.....yeah....they're all going to shut up very very soon.

I don't know why Michigan decided to back away from the court case. Doesn't change the fact that this is a bad precedent for the Big 10. They are starting down the path that has turned the NCAA into a massive dumpster fire. Michigan may be guilty as sin, but the Big 10 still needs to work withing their rule structure in order to find them guilty and then to punish them. I was hopeful that a future involving the power conferences moving away from the NCAA would put an end to their incomprehensible nonsense. Looks like the conferences may be just as bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT