ADVERTISEMENT

North Carolina government says UNC and NC st are package deal to leave acc

hmt5000

All-American
Aug 29, 2009

Older news but our GTech visitors reminded me to bring this up. All the people claiming the GOR won't let people leave... FSU and the Carolina schools seem to be still preparing to leave. Writing is on the wall. ACC schools can't wait for the acc to become the Big East and watch the leftover schools become irrelevant overnight.

Some acc homers are claiming this move was to keep them from leaving because UNC would be more favorable than St. I don't think those people understand ratings.... LOL. If the SEC or BIg take those 2 it will be because they offer more eyeballs than the cost of admitting them. 10.5 million people in NC. Have to think 1/2 would be UNC or NC st die hard fans. So adding 5 million potential eyeballs to each conference game could be enough to pull the trigger. If they don't come to the SEC or Big it's because those conferences don't think they bring value... It's not because GOR prevents them.

Stupid Government bullcrap.

1. Why get involved...it's not a government issue....it's a school specific/sports issue.
2. As usual Gov't picking and choosing winners/losers randomly for no rationale. Why no Duke, Wake, etc...?
3. How would UK fans feel if Frankfort did a bill that tagged UK and UL together. Why not Florida St, Miami tagged to together. Clemson and USC tagged together. etc...

In the end, this should just make it less likely for UNC (in particular) to get the best deal for them and would fully support if the SEC avoided them all together and just expanded to FSU and Clemson. Personally, if I'm SEC...I'm going to make a huge play for Notre Dame....they are the golden egg left and grab one other school to pair with them.

This is the issue for UK (and every other SEC school)...do I really want to share same revenue to NC State? The current payout for each school is $49 million. UNC is probably a reasonable team to add as equal share but NC State is pretty much a nothing burger....but now you have to pay them both out equally. So if our revenue share goes down....is this really a worthwhile idea to add both Carolina schools.

Older news but our GTech visitors reminded me to bring this up. All the people claiming the GOR won't let people leave... FSU and the Carolina schools seem to be still preparing to leave. Writing is on the wall. ACC schools can't wait for the acc to become the Big East and watch the leftover schools become irrelevant overnight.

Some acc homers are claiming this move was to keep them from leaving because UNC would be more favorable than St. I don't think those people understand ratings.... LOL. If the SEC or BIg take those 2 it will be because they offer more eyeballs than the cost of admitting them. 10.5 million people in NC. Have to think 1/2 would be UNC or NC st die hard fans. So adding 5 million potential eyeballs to each conference game could be enough to pull the trigger. If they don't come to the SEC or Big it's because those conferences don't think they bring value... It's not because GOR prevents them.
I wonder how long before this realignment causes basketball and football to split and Basketball to form it's own conferences separate from football. obviously football is the cash cow at most all of the schools and Basketball just goes along for the ride, but it's disrupting the basketball landscape to do all of this realignment as well.

But if UNC and NC St. bolt, I have to think the SEC is their destination. How do we feel about UNC being in our conference from a basketball standpoint?

Thought the funniest result of all of this will be watching UofL and Duke get left out in the cold and relegated back to a G5 conference.

I am guessing you rather have those 2 than FSU and CU because they would be an easier game. That not how you stay the premiere conferenc, I don't want the big 10 playing multiple games in Fl.
Agreed. I think keeping Fl recruiting to the SEC is more important than adding NC eyeballs. I'd add all 4 though because that's where this is going eventually.

I wonder how long before this realignment causes basketball and football to split and Basketball to form it's own conferences separate from football. obviously football is the cash cow at most all of the schools and Basketball just goes along for the ride, but it's disrupting the basketball landscape to do all of this realignment as well.

But if UNC and NC St. bolt, I have to think the SEC is their destination. How do we feel about UNC being in our conference from a basketball standpoint?

Thought the funniest result of all of this will be watching UofL and Duke get left out in the cold and relegated back to a G5 conference.
I don't think basketball goes separate. A team like Providence has no fan base and no national footprint. Whether you add them or not doesn't affect anything with a super conf. They might be the best team but nobody cares if they are left out of power 40 tournament.... just not enough providence or Gonzaga fans to matter. The fans that truly loved college hoops would just pick another team close to them or move to nba.

Reactions: NavyCatFan1

1. Why get involved...it's not a government issue....it's a school specific/sports issue.
2. As usual Gov't picking and choosing winners/losers randomly for no rationale. Why no Duke, Wake, etc...?
3. How would UK fans feel if Frankfort did a bill that tagged UK and UL together. Why not Florida St, Miami tagged to together. Clemson and USC tagged together. etc...

In the end, this should just make it less likely for UNC (in particular) to get the best deal for them and would fully support if the SEC avoided them all together and just expanded to FSU and Clemson. Personally, if I'm SEC...I'm going to make a huge play for Notre Dame....they are the golden egg left and grab one other school to pair with them.

This is the issue for UK (and every other SEC school)...do I really want to share same revenue to NC State? The current payout for each school is $49 million. UNC is probably a reasonable team to add as equal share but NC State is pretty much a nothing burger....but now you have to pay them both out equally. So if our revenue share goes down....is this really a worthwhile idea to add both Carolina schools.
I am assuming they are both state run universities so they would have a say in it to some extent. No different than the states of Virginia and Tenn suing the NCAA over NIL.

I am assuming they are both state run universities so they would have a say in it to some extent. No different than the states of Virginia and Tenn suing the NCAA over NIL.
That's what it is. But they wouldn't do that if leaving wasn't on the table. People are missing my point on this. NC politicians aren't doing this in a vacuum... people at those schools are saying stuff to them.

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
I think UNC is attractive, NC State not so much. UNC, FSU, Clemson, and ND would be a great get. ND should be a B1G school, but who wants to play their games? If the SEC and B1G would cut non-conference games, ND would come whimpering to one of them and end this game.

When the inevitable split happens, BCS football essentially spinning off and going independent from collegiate sports it will be interesting to see if they continue or even legally have to support the rest of sports like they do now.

There's 30-40ish football programs that have at least regional if not national mass appeal and can make money. I'd say there's maybe 10-15 basketball programs that can gain an audience and pay their own bills without football help.

Will be interesting to see if above football super entity takes basketball with them, or if they just stick to football. Then those basketball programs may break.

Reactions: KYExtemper
I think UNC is attractive, NC State not so much. UNC, FSU, Clemson, and ND would be a great get. ND should be a B1G school, but who wants to play their games? If the SEC and B1G would cut non-conference games, ND would come whimpering to one of them and end this game.
Agreed totally....and this is how I see it unfolding potentially...

1. SEC should be in the mindset of NFL model. We play the AFC teams mostly (which would be other SEC teams) and play a few NFC games (which would be Big 10 teams) and not play any ACC, Big 12, Pac 10, CUSA, etc... teams on your schedule.
2. Then Notre Dame would be forced to get in a conference....and they would easily be a team that would increase the per school revenue sharing....and give them exposure to southern states for better recruiting purposes.

I just see NC State would be like adding a Mississippi St type program....not exactly an upgrade to the conference or gets us a region of country that is worth it.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan

I agree with you that I prefer government to stay out of sports. Unfortunately, they are state schools and the government has an interest in what happens to both schools because of the revenue implications of leaving the ACC for another conference and what happens to NC State if they are left behind. I understand what they are trying to do but it potentially could backfire. If conferences think the real value is NC and that NC State doesn't add a lot value, then they may take neither rather than having to accept both. Neither are particularly great football programs, which is driving a lot of the consolidation.

I agree, years ago ND was a power and could made demands, today they are just another good program. But the flip side is they would be pressed to not be a 4 loss team in either of the big 2 teams. So to assure themselves of being a contender they need a big12 or ACC.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
If either the Big or SEC each stated they wanted 1 team from NC, not 2, I bet they fall all over themself backtracking on that proclamation.
For sure...

If it's going to boil down to UNC gets in alone...or UNC and NC State are left out as a package deal in leu of Florida St/Clemson/Notre Dame/Virginia Tech getting a leg up on that....I'd agree those legislators would have to re-think this stuff in a hurry.

IMO the SEC doesn't need Fl St or Clemson but UNC, NC ST, VA TECH, and even Pitt. Go ahead with these 4 and you'd have fan bases from North, East Coast, Mid West and all the South. Just think of the Media monies available in the Eastern and Central time zones. Don't think that UVA fits the SEC mold like the others mentioned, to much DC influence, but Pitt has more of a blue collar ethicnicity.

Duke and Wake are private schools. That is why. Also Miami is a private school.

These things happen in every state. They try to tie schools together. Once push comes to shove it means nothing most the time. If a conference really wants UNC and not NC state it will be worked out.

This is just what a lot of state politics are nowadays signaling your intent on an issue without any real substance.

Last edited:
Reactions: satcheluk
IMO the SEC doesn't need Fl St or Clemson but UNC, NC ST, VA TECH, and even Pitt. Go ahead with these 4 and you'd have fan bases from North, East Coast, Mid West and all the South. Just think of the Media monies available in the Eastern and Central time zones. Don't think that UVA fits the SEC mold like the others mentioned, to much DC influence, but Pitt has more of a blue collar ethicnicity.

I don't think the SEC needs FSU or Miami. But I don't think they want the Big10 getting a foothold in Florida. Right now only 2-3 Big teams spend their resources in Florida, but if they play there every year, kids will see them in person. I don't think the SEC wants to share those athletes with the Big10.

As I understand it, there is a public university board in North Carolina that oversees both UNC and NC State. They basically share board members. They've pretty much always been tied together as a package deal in that the board won't approve one leaving the other behind.

This is somewhat similar to how Texas Tech got into the Big 12. The Texas governor was a Texas Tech grad at the time that the Longhorns were leaving the old Southwest Conference to join the Big 12. The Texas governor demanded that the Longhorns take Texas Tech with them. Funny how Arkansas turned out to be the school that made the smartest moves when the old Southwest Conference started falling apart.

Adding these 2 to the SEC is a no brainer- Southern state, and we add nearly every eyeball in the state to our TV audience. With what we currently have added in Texas/Oklahoma, I don't believe that it would would be out of the question for each member school to look at getting a 100 Million paycheck from the league each season as their portion of the TV package. I mean we currently get around 60 Million?

Adding these 2 to the SEC is a no brainer- Southern state, and we add nearly every eyeball in the state to our TV audience. With what we currently have added in Texas/Oklahoma, I don't believe that it would would be out of the question for each member school to look at getting a 100 Million paycheck from the league each season as their portion of the TV package. I mean we currently get around 60 Million?
I don’t know if the numbers would be that big but would certainly increase

As usual when the government gets involved things get screwed up. The folks in NC probably just screwed themselves by doing this. The main prize in the ACC (non Clempson and FSU) is Va Tech. Bigger following than either Carolina schools AND brings in the DC eyeballs.

I don't think the SEC needs FSU or Miami. But I don't think they want the Big10 getting a foothold in Florida. Right now only 2-3 Big teams spend their resources in Florida, but if they play there every year, kids will see them in person. I don't think the SEC wants to share those athletes with the Big10.
Finebaum said a few months ago that the only 2 teams he heard mentioned for SEC were UNC and ND. He said the SEC felt good where we are and they wouldn't add people just to add. ACC is going to have to do something though.

Just don’t see Pitt having the appeal to the SEC or big ten. Likely Miami, Duke, Virginia would be chosen over them.

FSU and Clemson give you nothing, not to mention FL and USC would block them.

Ideal is UNC, UVA, ND, and I guess NC State if they’re a package deal.

FSU and Clemson give you nothing, not to mention FL and USC would block them.

Ideal is UNC, UVA, ND, and I guess NC State if they’re a package deal.

First, FSU and Clemson gives the SEC the best two college football programs in the ACC. The idea of a team in the league blocking additions is not as great since A&M was forced to accept Texas and since the conferences are consolidating to super conferences. That said, I suspect a veto may still exist. That, however, does not change the fact that FSU and Clemson are the desired football programs of the SEC and football is currently king.

UVA has no appeal, unless it is merely for a new television market. If NC State is a package deal with UNC, the SEC should pass on both. Take UNC only or neither. Any conference, right now, would take ND. But, I would not give ND any bargaining power. If they played for some special advantage, I would tell them to stay independent, but would not permit any SEC school to schedule ND for the regular season.

Virginia Tech a MUCH bigger brand than UVA in football.

It’s about eyeballs!
True but UVA gives you the NOVA area for eyeballs and recruiting. Tech is pretty much followed by everyone else in the state (including the Tidewater recruiting hotbed) plus some parts of NC. That said, UVA just isn’t a cultural fit for the SEC as it’s a huge liberal school and I’m not trying to bring politics into the discussion, they’d be a better fit in the B1G along with ND.

Finebaum said a few months ago that the only 2 teams he heard mentioned for SEC were UNC and ND. He said the SEC felt good where we are and they wouldn't add people just to add. ACC is going to have to do something though.

Different game today than a few months ago too. I still believe the big 2 commissioners met to get things rolling with the 2 new super conferences we are about to become. Without FSU and Clemson is the Sunbelt for football. But Finebaum also said the SEC doesn't want the Big to get a physical presence in the SEC. They can't compete without a southern presence on their roster.

There's probably a good chance that a lot of these schools we're talking about maybe making the cut or not, just end up in another division/league.

If private equity is involved, it's not just going to be the BIG SEC super league, and then nothing else.

Other groups will form and most likely get bought up, packaged, mass marketed, and sold to consumers.

Really, when you think about it. Football is like the only sport that has/had two levels essentially. Only one level being considered Pro where people get paid. All sorts of other sports have all sorts of different levels, circuits, leagues, etc...everyone makes money to varying degrees.

Yes, NCAA has multiple divisions, but really for the longest time up until recently, P5 players/programs have been the same classification of "college athlete" as Mercer and Kennesaw St. That's wild. Even more wild it's been common practice for them to play one another as if there's no difference between them!

Horse racing all sorts of levels, races, tracks all around the country/world. Yeah, triple crown is big and spectacular. Red Mile 3-legged pony riding the jockey league sells out too. Especially with the gambling attached.

Racing and all the different styles, series, tracks all around the world. Nascar and all it's levels, to formula 1 abroad.

Soccer, overseas anyway, pyramid of different levels and all sorts of different tournaments, champion series.

If it goes to 20 teams, I would like to have FSU, Clemson, VaTec, and ND...... That would be a great league.... It could prevent the Big from getting into the Florida area as much, it would add a great viewership from all over the east coast....
Add way more viewer's than almost any others...

GBB

FSU vs Texas/Alabama/LSU/Oklahoma etc… or UNC or Virgina vs those same teams - who gets more viewers? The answer is FSU in a landslide, brands are more important than market and while some people act like SEC already has FL, it is a rather large/fast growing state. Nothing wrong with having 2 teams there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT