ADVERTISEMENT

With extra SEC money, will UK build on campus basketball arena?

Still no. And that's the same answer for the next 87 threads over the next few years.

Isn't Rupp the third biggest basketball arena in the world? Why in the heck would we need a new one?

I love Rupp and there's no need to get rid of it. If you want to make changes within Rupp, sure but no way should we get a new arena

Reactions: Titles1
I have to wonder if the YUM! debacle has soured both the state legislature (to whatever extent they would necessarily be involved in a new arena deal) and the general public on something like this for generations to come. Even setting YUM! aside, the recession of 2008 and a general uneasiness with spending means, I think, that even some passionate BBN card carrying members just don't have the stomach any longer for this kind of facilities arms race.

If Ole Miss can find $90 million for a new basketball arena, then UK can get together at least $130 million. Most could be covered by Joe Craft, K fund, title sponsors etc and the state wouldn't have to foot too much if any at all.

As for the idea that the economic health of downtown and Lexington to a greater degree, I get that Rupp Arena moving would negatively effect things in the immediate down town area. However, what about the possibility for growth up and down Nicholasville and Tates Creek roads if the new arena were to be built near CWS?

Downtown would recover, and move on. People are always going to traffic the bars, hotels, and businesses in that area because there isn't a lot of other options in Lexington. It's not like Kentucky Basketball is moving out of the state. It's moving about 2 miles down the road. Folks on game days are still going to stay, eat, drink, and spend money downtown. I understand that it may not be to as great of a degree, but making up for it and finding other ways to generate money is what local and state leaders and planners are for.

Isn't Rupp the third biggest basketball arena in the world? Why in the heck would we need a new one?

I love Rupp and there's no need to get rid of it. If you want to make changes within Rupp, sure but no way should we get a new arena

In terms of capacity, it is still the largest basketball specific arena in the world.

Reactions: ORCAT
In terms of capacity, it is still the largest basketball specific arena in the world.

I know Cuse plays in the Carrier Dome for football, right? So that eliminates that one. I thought there was one in the Phillipines or something that was bigger than ours.

1. Agree completely.
2. I think the plan to reconfigure Rupp has been on the books for some time. Seating would be greatly reduced (think 10-12,000) and commercial/office space would replace many existing seats.
3. Excellent point and one often overlooked by the 'we want an NBA arena' crowd'.
4. Couldn't agree more. Rupp does need a renovation and Big Bertha, video/ribbon boards would be a minimal investment that would change the whole look of the historic arena.

I think the City of Lex. is refusing to even consider the most basic of renovations out of spite. They want UK to guarantee to be in the building for some unreasonably long period of time. UK wants to have options...and who can blame them? So, it's a Mexican standoff.
It will take Cal or someone seriously "plugged-in" to thaw the freeze.
Whoever thinks a renovation resulting in 12,000 seating capacity must be a total idiot.

Obviously, upgrade Rupp's upper with nice chairbacks and cup holders. Improve audio and wifi capabilities along with a couple box suites.
Any extra revenue to upgrade the Wildcat Coal Lodge and further modernize practice/training areas. There was a negative perception about some of the aging facilities mentioned by recruits previously. We are the gold standard.

3. Game day atmosphere. On-campus facility has no hotels, restaurants, bars, etc. on site. Drive, park, watch game, drive home (or someplace else). Totally boring unless you enjoy a sub-zero tailgate experience in a frozen tundra parking lot.
Excellent point and one nobody brings up.

Reactions: YouKay
When we do, we need to make it even larger. There needs to be the suites and the seats for the Blue haired old folks but there needs to be more seats for the working stiff. If we can go to 32-35K then there will be seats for us common folk. I love the idea

Whoever thinks a renovation resulting in 12,000 seating capacity must be a total idiot.
Damn dude, apparently you're the idiot. I was replying to a comment made nearly TWO years ago. The idea had been floated that UK should build an on-campus arena. Stretch98 then said Lex. could not support two arenas. My response (#2) was about what would happen to Rupp should UK ever move out. If you're going to respond to a thread that's 2 years old, at least read it first.

With 30 million extra this year and more to come each year down the road, is the time now to leave Rupp?
They wouldn't use that money towards that anyways. They would get rich donors to do it just like IU has done to renovate AH.

With 30 million extra this year and more to come each year down the road, is the time now to leave Rupp?

It would be the greatest upset in the history of Rupp Arena to see UK ditch Rupp in lieu of building an on campus arena. UK may want it and so may many fans but the cost of building a "gold standard" arena would be in excess of $200 million dollars. Then, should it be built, Lexington would have two facilities seating 20,000 plus in a city with only 300,000 people. No other city in the United States has such a duplication of large public facilities.

State and local politicians would not approve such an expenditure. UK has some clout and independence but not enough to flip off state and local officials and build their own arena, particularly with the incremental improvements being made to Rupp over the last several years.

Thanks Keyser for bringing back the 2 year old thread. :D

Rupp needs backed seats throughout and suites/boxes to generate revenue for UK. If the city/state is willing to help foot the bill for those upgrades, I agree that we will never leave Rupp.

With all of the money the state has just GIVEN UofL through the Yum deal, why can't UK get the equivalent?

FYI, the recent announcements of adding chairbacks to Rupp in the next phase of upgrades will result in a net LOSS of capacity. Probably 1500-3000 seas. So, get ready for UK's home court to go from the leader in national attendance to well down the list.
All those crying for chair backs had better not bemoan the loss of the national attendance title or the fact that the Yum Center and Dean Dome may hold more fans. You guys asked for it.

Reactions: Pygmy Sasquatch
There will be no on campus arena and there will not be any more upgrades to Rupp for at least a decade.

After all the money spent on Diallo's scholarship, room, board and expert coaching these last 4 months UK will be years digging out of this hole...

Reactions: catben and JDHoss
Won't happen and thank goodness:

1. UK is better served to spend the money to upgrade faculty, academic facilities and dorms.

2. Lexington can't support two mega arenas.

3. Game day atmosphere. On-campus facility has no hotels, restaurants, bars, etc. on site. Drive, park, watch game, drive home (or someplace else). Totally boring unless you enjoy a sub-zero tailgate experience in a frozen tundra parking lot.

4. We already have an iconic facility that the whole world (except some UK fans) thinks is wonderful.

Replace Big Bertha with a state of the art audio system and install decent video boards and call it a day.

We already had an iconic facility and UK turn its back on it. If you are 55 and older and you were privileged to witness a game in Memorial Coliseum prior to 1977, you know what I am talking about. Cameron Indoor
is 10 years older than Memorial. It
hadn't hurt them a bit. Should have never moved off campus.

FYI, the recent announcements of adding chairbacks to Rupp in the next phase of upgrades will result in a net LOSS of capacity. Probably 1500-3000 seas. So, get ready for UK's home court to go from the leader in national attendance to well down the list.
All those crying for chair backs had better not bemoan the loss of the national attendance title or the fact that the Yum Center and Dean Dome may hold more fans. You guys asked for it.

Yep. People who think that the upper arena is awful now...and have some grand illusion that we could have 32K fans in a new Rupp sitting comfortably with seat backs...they are in a dream world. SCIENCE. It is not possible. You are talking about a small football stadium with a roof over it....Syracuse style. There is no way to have good views with that many people. And with a bad view...I stay home and watch on my 70" HD TV.

I agree with most that you have said. I have always said that while I am not sure that an on-campus facility will eventually happen, I do think that it makes economic sense. Parking, and concessions revenue, coupled with not paying rent, is a lot of money. Then you add into it the revenue from luxury suites, naming rights, and other advertising, and I think you can easily pay for it. Once you add playing men's and women's tournament games and a few concerts here and there, and it makes even more sense. As far as why the project of the renovation of Rupp has not moved forward is obvious. Too many people on Metro's end have wanted to publicly speak about the project without first consulting the university. They need to have one person make public comments, and only after they have first discussed it with UK, since they are the ones that are going to make or break the project. You are correct in that Rupp Arena is the lifeblood of the local economy. Because of this, Metro gov't should get their head out of their rectum, while they still can. Once UK decides to move forward, because of a lack of cooperation from Metro, it will be too late.
A larger issue is the parlous state of higher education in the USA and of course KY. Higher education is horribly inefficient and as students and parents rebel at the cos/benefit, colleges will begin dropping like flies. Who in the world wants to pay $100K for a degree that has marginal value versus some "trade school" education that can net the student a purpose built job for $60 K almost right out of the chute. Rupp renovation must be seen in this larger context as much as I adore UK basketball.

A larger issue is the parlous state of higher education in the USA and of course KY. Higher education is horribly inefficient and as students and parents rebel at the cos/benefit, colleges will begin dropping like flies. Who in the world wants to pay $100K for a degree that has marginal value versus some "trade school" education that can net the student a purpose built job for $60 K almost right out of the chute. Rupp renovation must be seen in this larger context as much as I adore UK basketball.

I agree, but a new arena would not have no bearing on the price of an education. UK basketball pays for itself and is not subsidized by educational funds. If it takes student money to pay for an arena, then it should not be considered. Something like this needs to be able to fly on its own, or it shouldn't be built.

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
And the fact that UK does not own Rupp Arena and has not paid for any of the renovations so far. UK is just a tenant.

Interesting to read some of those old posts about how Lexington Center provides such a unique pre game atmosphere and gathering area for UK fans. I have always agreed with that and now the city is preparing to gut the Center and have it as an outdoor area which makes no sense seeing that the busiest time of the year at Rupp with the biggest crowds is in the colder winter months. Can't understand the thinking behind this plan.

What are the details on what the city is planning to do as far as gutting the Center and having an outdoor area?

Our firm has had a peripheral role in advising UK on this, so I can only talk about the broad issues that are already publicly known. An on campus basketball arena would be a great move for UK. It's the best deal UK could cut, by far, if UK lived in a vacuum. The costs, which some posters lament here, would actually be recovered in a reasonable amount of time through sponsorships and direct revenues. After that, future revenues, minus maintenance expenses, would become almost pure profit. UK would completely control and collect revenues from parking and concessions, which is not true now at Rupp Arena. This is a lot of revenue, directly generated by our basketball program, that UK concedes to the city of Lexington. But UK does not live in a vacuum. UK is the biggest and single most important business entity in Fayette County. Rupp Arena and UK basketball are the key to economic revitalization of downtown Lexington. If UK pulled its basketball program out of Rupp Arena, the economic consequences for many downtown businesses would be disastrous. I will not discuss individual downtown businesses by name. But if you owned a downtown hotel or restaurant, you would have nightmares every night of your life about the possibility of UK pulling its basketball program out of Rupp Arena. UK cannot turn its back on its responsibilities as the largest corporate citizen in Lexington's business and economic community. If the central Kentucky economy was stronger, this might be less of a problem. But as long as Lexington's economy subsists just above the level of recession, as it has for years now, UK cannot pull its basketball business out of downtown. When the city proposed the Rupp Arena renovation several years, UK's tepid response showed that UK knows it is a political captive at Rupp Arena for now. But the on campus basketball arena will happen eventually. It must happen, because the favorable numbers from UK's point of view will force it to happen. It is worth mentioning here, although many of our fans still badly misunderstand the horizons and ambitions of UK's administration, that this athletics director and this Board clearly get the advantages of corporate sponsorship of an on campus basketball arena, just as clearly as they understand the reasons for a $150 million renovation of their on campus football facilities. Anyone who doesn't think so is not informed. If someone posts a comment that says UK's administration doesn't want success in its athletics programs, or doesn't understand the investments required for success, they are admitting that they are not informed.

Thanks Blue Decade for a fantastic response.

I've been over this many times before.

UK will never build an on campus basketball arena.

The reason is, what happens on the 345 nights that there isn't a UK basketball game?

An on campus arena cannot compete with Rupp Arena for concerts and other events unless it is actually SMALLER than Rupp. Which nobody wants. Rupp has an attached hotel, plenty of parking, nearby restaurants and bars, and the attached Lexington Center. UK has no comparable facilities on campus. So tour managers and convention planners would vastly prefer Rupp over an arena stuck in the middle of a dry college campus. There isn't enough corporate sponsorship revenue in the entire state to make an arena the size of Rupp profitable on 20 basketball games. Unless y'all want to pay $200 for nosebleed seat, and over $1000 for lower arena seats, it's not happening.

Not only that, but managing an arena is expensive. It involves lots of people, dedicated space for arena management and ticket sales, money for advertising, hiring and managing maintenance and concession workers, dealing with Ticketmaster etc., negotiating contracts with artists and event managers, etc. An on-campus arena might even cost UK significantly more for its master liability insurance policy. UK does not want to get into the event management business.

I've been to many larger on-campus arenas built in recent years. None of them have a competing arena of the same size within a mile of the campus. Maryland's campus is 5 miles from the Verizon Center in downtown DC. Villanova just won a championship and is renovating but not expanding its tiny on-campus arena. It will continue to play its big games in the Wells Fargo Center (which is REALLY far away from the campus, it's a 30 minute drive on a good day) The Dean Dome at UNC does not compete with anything in Chapel Hill or even the Triangle.

The only people who are really inconvenienced by going to Rupp are the students. Yet they continue to fill the student section.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT