ADVERTISEMENT

Why Recruit Karter Knox

Knox isn't awful. He's going to be a very good college player. If he ends up a Cat, you'll see a lot of fans be pleasantly surprised by his production/time in Lexington. If he's your best recruit/player, it's not good. But if he's your 4th/5th best-he's a great piece and can hit 3's-he's got a nice looking stroke and will make 3's on catch and shoot and will produce especially if he works with Welch. He's better at forward--like willingness to get to glass and gets some tough plays. What I have not cared for is his willingness to accept an outcome--if he gets 20 in a Half--he'll end up with 24/25 pts. If he starts out with 5--he'll get to his avg--whatever that is. Rarely have seen 2 halves put together which is why I say if he's a role player/part of the puzzle, like the fit. If he's the "guy"--no.

He really needs to tighten his frame up and get in better shape too. Has a lot of baby fat that needs to be shed. That part I'm confident will take place due to being in the UK environment.
This - as long as he's not expected to be one of our best players he can be a really solid piece.

This is what I see occurring...

1. Fland is a solid but not known as a shooter....but he's going to the PG like Wagner next year
2. Have to hope like heck Reed is coming back to be SG/lead guard.
3. So SF today is Edwards and a combination of minutes from Reeves/Reed, etc... So next year it's Richmond...who is a pure brick layer. And heaven forbid we add Knox.....he's worse shooter.
4. PF...hopefully it's Thiero and Burks....then we have flexible PF
5. C...it's Quaintenance and Somoto all the way.

Losing VJ to Baylor was a bit hit.....he'd been perfect wing to play and shoot well. Then the next question is Travis Perry...is he ready to play 20mpg next year?

All that to be said.....I see the roster lacking a shooter to replace Reeves and Dilly off the bench in terms of shooting. Portal could yeild a different result....but as of now it looks like the shooting will revert to old days.
I think we may take a little bit of a step back next year in general but I think shooting will be fine as long as we can snag at least 1 solid portal player that's a capable shooter. Reed and Perry are dead-eye shooters (even though we don't know how good Perry is/how much he'll play yet), so if we combine them with a shooter from the portal, with Fland at least being serviceable, I think that's a solid group. Thiero's shot has improved as well (he'll never be a knockdown shooter but with another season to improve he could be a solid shooter as well).

I do think we'll be able to play the same style we're playing this year with our 4/5 men who can play out on the perimeter (with Somto being a similar player to Ugonna).

We may never see a team that has 3 great shooters as good as Reeves, Dilly, and Reed, but I think we will still be able to play the same way.

I think they can get him--Darryn loves Kentucky--but will Dad want to take the bag and investment is the question? The move to Huntington Prep hasn't been a great one for him basketball wise. This isn't a shot at all at Peterson-he's a tremendous player/talent, but the team around him isn't very good and if you want to transition to being a backcourt player who has the ball, need to be around better players to learn to play with the caliber of talent you will in CBB or NBA.
Peterson to me is a monk or Murray level scorer and pairing him with fland and maybe Reed if he were to return would be another unstoppable backcourt

I think they can get him--Darryn loves Kentucky--but will Dad want to take the bag and investment is the question? The move to Huntington Prep hasn't been a great one for him basketball wise. This isn't a shot at all at Peterson-he's a tremendous player/talent, but the team around him isn't very good and if you want to transition to being a backcourt player who has the ball, need to be around better players to learn to play with the caliber of talent you will in CBB or NBA.
Dalton I wished you posted more often

If you're missing something, so am I. I saw his stats and thought the very same thing. I think Cal just counts the number of stars next to the name and relies the scouting assessment of others. It's easier than doing the work himself and easy to defend recruiting a "five-star" player.
This is the dumbest post I’ve read on here in quite some time.
Some of you Cal haters should really take a break

If you're missing something, so am I. I saw his stats and thought the very same thing. I think Cal just counts the number of stars next to the name and relies the scouting assessment of others. It's easier than doing the work himself and easy to defend recruiting a "five-star" player.
Just brilliant. 🤦

Reactions: chattanoogawildcat
I mean there are other phases to the game than just shooting. We've had plenty of very productive guys who couldn't shoot from outside.
Certainly, there are many other things that are not only important, but absolutely required to win. Still, I think you and I would agree that 3pt. shooting is crucial because of the relative value of the shot and the impact on the defense (e.g., it spreads the floor for driving lanes). So, everything being equal, the more good perimeter shooting a team can get from all five positions on the floor the better. But you’re right in that if you don’t have good enough rebounding, defense, etc. then 3pt. shooting by itself usually isn’t going to win many games – and will never win 6 games in the Tournament. On the other hand, I think you need 3 pt. shooting from at least 3, and preferably 4, spots on the floor to be good enough.

Reactions: Midway Cat
Peterson to me is a monk or Murray level scorer and pairing him with fland and maybe Reed if he were to return would be another unstoppable backcourt
He is fantastic. The issue is Dad has this vision of him as a PG/ball in hands and what Kentucky preaches and why they are successful with players transitioning to the College level/NBA level is teaching them to play with/without the basketball.

Cal is also well respected by Agents/Shoe Companies because he will not bully a player into signing with Nike just because that's way he makes $. So if Peterson were to choose UK, Adidas knows he'd be their client after he's done at UK while still promoting apparel when not on the court. Thing is they prefer him to be at a flagship program like Kansas (see Andrew Wiggins getting 7 figures as a bonus to choose KU and they had shoe deal ready for him when he went to NBA).

But the amount of Adidas guys who have signed with Kentucky is insane. Dating back to John Wall/Brandon Knight/Bam/Quickley up to Reed Sheppard now. Jayden Quaintance had left Nike for Adidas in Summer and that scared a lot of people too.

just what I was thinking.....Kevin was a disappointment @ UK as well as the NBA. Thought he was supposed to be a shooter, & thought the same about Karter. Apparently, they are shooters, just not makers. Karter has already stated that he wants to be 1 & done, as all UK recruits seem to be. If there is room let him join, but if he is a disappointment like other 5* have been, let him sit behind those that deserve to play. Don't need a log jam @ guard to give ccc an excuse not to play Perry.
if averaging 15 &5 a game on 34% from 3 is disappointing idk what to tell you besides you have zero basketball knowledge

Reactions: shodaman
if averaging 15 &5 a game on 34% from 3 is disappointing idk what to tell you besides you have zero basketball knowledge
Yeah some of these comments are startling. As a secondary scorer to SGA he was just fine, and even had the big game against WVU. Unless you were expecting him to be Jamal Murray or Monk, I don’t see how he was disappointing.

As for his brother, i don’t know why some act like players don’t improve. I believe it was ralphdalton that pointed out the improvement with Reeves and Dillingham. It’s probably best to let it play out.

Reactions: Babysluggo
Personally, I don't care what Kevin Knox does in the NBA. He scored 15.6 PPG, with 5.4 RPG on 34.1 3PT% shooting. He didn't miss a game either. I'd love for Karter to put up those numbers.

Yeah I don't get fox2monk comparing Knox to edwards. Geez, that's insulting to knox.

If Reed returns--the Boogie/Reed duo will be Cal's best backcourt in terms of basketball IQ/how to play with other guys/make them better. Boogie is vastly underrated by the media.

Huge Jasper Johnson fan--he's SGA 2.0 IMO
This is my dream scenario right now.

Sheppard/Fland/Johnson in the backcourt (1-3 spots).

That’s three guys that can handle, shoot, and pass. Smart players as well.

Those three with Perry and Richmond off the bench would be a great backcourt.

The frontcourt is already very solid, with Quaintance/Thiero/Cyril/Burks.

The team just needs Sheppard back and one more wing shooter/scorer to be complete.

Johnson would be perfect.

Peterson would be great, but the Adidas connection keeps me from counting him as a real possibility.

This is the dumbest post I’ve read on here in quite some time.
Some of you Cal haters should really take a break
Not a huge Cal supporter these days, no doubt, but I don't "hate" anyone. To use that word with such liberty and indiscretion is just dumb, reckless and f**king stupid and says a lot about IQ, or lack thereof. I care about the Program more than I care about any coach ... always have. Program First.

I'm okay with skipping on Knox; we already have tall wing Richmond, who has his own shooting problems, then getting a great guard in the transfer portal, since we missed on Edgewcombe.
Me too. He wants to be here one year and only if no one returns or his recruited at his position. Thats per his dad. He can go to G league.

Rob Dillingham is unquestionably one of our best players this year. Last year at OTE he shot 33% from the floor and 31% from 3.

Scout the player not the box score stats of OTE basketball. Hopefully you’ve never wasted time actually watching it.

In some ways he’s a legacy player. If a consensus top 20 prospect that Cal and staff know the family/kid wants to come I’m all for it.

The 3 spot is the most challenging for Cal. A volume play in terms of bodies/talent is a smart play as we’ve seen this year with a struggling Edwards.

According to an article on KSR Karter Knox has shooting splits of 40 percent on two’s, 27 percent on 3’s and only 61% on free throws and this is against high school competition. This is just another example of Cal recruiting an athlete who cannot shoot and most likely has very few basketball skills. Am I missing something here. I say pass. Please convince me I am wrong!
His stats compare favorably to Rob Dillingham's HS stats. A crap shooting % was the knock on Dillingham.

Maybe the difference is Welch. We even run inbounds plays under the basket now.
Maybe if we’re stuck with Cal he can hire a defensive minded coach to make us solid at both ends for times we lack multiple shooters.

The more Cal can stay out of the way it increases our chance of winning.

It might be a good idea to save that spot for a transfer who has experience and great shooter.
Just guessing, but with the returning players I think UK could still have 2-3 spots for the transfer portal if they wanted to use them. The issue at that point is to get the best transfer available and not avoid going hard after the best transfers regardless of what high school recruit has committed. I think 2Gs & SFs are particularly strong positions usually available in the portal.

This is what I see occurring...

1. Fland is a solid but not known as a shooter....
"Fland is a skilled guard whose biggest asset is his ability to shoot the basketball."
-- 247sports

He reminds me of Dillingham.

-Edit-
At the City of Palms tournament, he routinely split defenders or if closely guarded at the 3 pt line, he'd back up and shoot further.

He made a believer of me. Granted these are highlights, but there were several clips where 4 players had a shot at stopping him. And didn't. He really is like Dillingham and Wagner in that regard.

Last edited:
Not a huge Cal supporter these days, no doubt, but I don't "hate" anyone. To use that word with such liberty and indiscretion is just dumb, reckless and f**king stupid and says a lot about IQ, or lack thereof. I care about the Program more than I care about any coach ... always have. Program First.
Don’t try and moderate my language with your own woke vocabulary. I hate that

D
This is my dream scenario right now.

Sheppard/Fland/Johnson in the backcourt (1-3 spots).

That’s three guys that can handle, shoot, and pass. Smart players as well.

Those three with Perry and Richmond off the bench would be a great backcourt.

The frontcourt is already very solid, with Quaintance/Thiero/Cyril/Burks.

The team just needs Sheppard back and one more wing shooter/scorer to be complete.

Johnson would be perfect.

Peterson would be great, but the Adidas connection keeps me from counting him as a real possibility.
Didn’t you read Daltons post above about Adidas? We’ve had a bunch of players sign with Adidas and come here and he listed a few including Reed.

We get Knox, we still need an another shooter on the wing like Johnson or Peterson. Still plenty of room, IMHO.

9-man rotation

Sheppard
Johnson or Peterson
Knox
Thiero
Quaintance
Fland
Richmond
Cyril
Burks

Then you’ve also got Perry, if you need more guard depth.

And if Sheppard leaves, you still have Fland, Johnson or Peterson, and Perry as pure guards. Also might sign a portal guard for experience, if Shep leaves.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Personally, I don't care what Kevin Knox does in the NBA. He scored 15.6 PPG, with 5.4 RPG on 34.1 3PT% shooting. He didn't miss a game either. I'd love for Karter to put up those numbers.
I would be very happy with those numbers. There was just some inconsistency from Kevin. We all expected him to dominate. Still a very solid player don’t get me wrong.

We get Knox, we still need an another shooter on the wing like Johnson or Peterson. Still plenty of room, IMHO.

9-man rotation

Sheppard
Johnson or Peterson
Knox
Thiero
Quaintance
Fland
Richmond
Cyril
Burks

Then you’ve also got Perry, if you need more guard depth.

And if Sheppard leaves, you still have Fland, Johnson or Peterson, and Perry as pure guards. Also might sign a portal guard for experience, if Shep leaves.
I dont think the adidas connection is as strong as it seems. I think Kentucky can get Peterson and will go all out to get him

I dont think the adidas connection is as strong as it seems. I think Kentucky can get Peterson and will go all out to get him
Hope you are right, he would be a good get.

Like I said, we need to add Johnson or Peterson as a reclass, IMHO.

I would take either one. Peterson is ranked higher, but Johnson isn’t that far behind him, and he is a Kentucky kid and a legacy.

I’d take whichever one wants it first.

Miss on both, Cal needs to make the top SG in the portal his top priority.

Don’t try and moderate my language with your own woke vocabulary. I hate that
Hate seems to be a word you obsess over ... but who am I to take issue with you about it ... just an observation but that's on you. LOL ... I'm about as far from "woke" as anyone on the planet. Regarding me trying to "moderate" your language ... I wouldn't do that because, you're entitled to your opinion, just like everyone else. You can say what you want ... it's just an opinion until you try to label others in a vile way and do so indiscriminately, for having a different take from your own. PROGRAM FIRST.

Hope you are right, he would be a good get.

Like I said, we need to add Johnson or Peterson as a reclass, IMHO.

I would take either one. Peterson is ranked higher, but Johnson isn’t that far behind him, and he is a Kentucky kid and a legacy.

I’d take whichever one wants it first.

Miss on both, Cal needs to make the top SG in the portal his top priority.
Ideally we get Peterson as the transcendent reclass, and Johnson stays with his current class.

Then Sheppard, Edwards, Onyenso, Burks, Hart, and Thiero return.

Landing Knox right now probably forces Edwards to go pro no matter what because we'd have Edwards, Richmond, Burks, Thiero, and Knox at the 3/4.

That's too many mouths to feed. I hope Knox waits until the spring to see what happens with Justin Edwards.

Ideally we get Peterson as the transcendent reclass, and Johnson stays with his current class.

Then Sheppard, Edwards, Onyenso, Burks, Hart, and Thiero return.

Landing Knox right now probably forces Edwards to go pro no matter what because we'd have Edwards, Richmond, Burks, Thiero, and Knox at the 3/4.

That's too many mouths to feed. I hope Knox waits until the spring to see what happens with Justin Edwards.
Edwards will not be back. No way. Isn’t happening. I’ve seen this movie too many times before. We all know how it ends.

My scenario (adding Knox and either Johnson or Peterson) is the most likely to happen.

It is possible Onyenso returns, though. If he does, I think Burks could bolt. There’s not enough minutes in the frontcourt for both.

Quaintance/Thiero/Onyenso/Cyril will be our 4-5 rotation.

Sheppard/Johnson or Peterson/Knox/Fland/Richmond will be our 1-3 rotation.

That’s the 9-man rotation.

According to an article on KSR Karter Knox has shooting splits of 40 percent on two’s, 27 percent on 3’s and only 61% on free throws and this is against high school competition. This is just another example of Cal recruiting an athlete who cannot shoot and most likely has very few basketball skills. Am I missing something here. I say pass. Please convince me I am wrong!

Yeah I'm done with these tweeners with minimal basketball skill. They never stay here long enough to develop, so what's the point?

• Haha
Reactions: shodaman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT