ADVERTISEMENT

Why Recruit Karter Knox

shadowman4

Junior
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2002
According to an article on KSR Karter Knox has shooting splits of 40 percent on two’s, 27 percent on 3’s and only 61% on free throws and this is against high school competition. This is just another example of Cal recruiting an athlete who cannot shoot and most likely has very few basketball skills. Am I missing something here. I say pass. Please convince me I am wrong!

According to an article on KSR Karter Knox has shooting splits of 40 percent on two’s, 27 percent on 3’s and only 61% on free throws and this is against high school competition. This is just another example of Cal recruiting an athlete who cannot shoot and most likely has very few basketball skills. Am I missing something here. I say pass. Please convince me I am wrong!
Those are brutal numbers. Would rather have a portal guy with perimeter skills.

His brother Kevin has been a complete bust in the NBA. This year’s team has proven that you need shooters with basketball skills and not just athletes. Damien Collins at LSU. This year is a prime example of an athlete who cannot shoot or show basic fundamental basketball skills.. I am done recruiting those type of players.

His brother Kevin has been a complete bust in the NBA. This year’s team has proven that you need shooters with basketball skills and not just athletes. Damien Collins at LSU. This year is a prime example of an athlete who cannot shoot or show basic fundamental basketball skills.. I am done recruiting those type of players.
UL made a living doing that in the 80's so.............. oh wait a minute' that was 40 years ago

If you're missing something, so am I. I saw his stats and thought the very same thing. I think Cal just counts the number of stars next to the name and relies the scouting assessment of others. It's easier than doing the work himself and easy to defend recruiting a "five-star" player.

Not sold on Knox. What I’ve seen he doesn’t have the motor he needs to have to be super effective. Wouldn’t be terribly upset if he goes elsewhere. If he comes, I’ll support him.

Sounds like he's exactly like Kevin. It has sounded like people think he's better than Kevin at this stage, but those numbers are just, yea, not good.

The roster contruction of next years team is definitely something to keep an eye on. I hope we dont revert back to a bunch of non shooters but thats where the hope is that Reed returns to lead next years team. Lots of things fell into place with this years team and I would love for the same style to continue.

Knox isn't awful. He's going to be a very good college player. If he ends up a Cat, you'll see a lot of fans be pleasantly surprised by his production/time in Lexington. If he's your best recruit/player, it's not good. But if he's your 4th/5th best-he's a great piece and can hit 3's-he's got a nice looking stroke and will make 3's on catch and shoot and will produce especially if he works with Welch. He's better at forward--like willingness to get to glass and gets some tough plays. What I have not cared for is his willingness to accept an outcome--if he gets 20 in a Half--he'll end up with 24/25 pts. If he starts out with 5--he'll get to his avg--whatever that is. Rarely have seen 2 halves put together which is why I say if he's a role player/part of the puzzle, like the fit. If he's the "guy"--no.

He really needs to tighten his frame up and get in better shape too. Has a lot of baby fat that needs to be shed. That part I'm confident will take place due to being in the UK environment.

Really wouldn't be upset if he went elsewhere. His older brother already has motor questions. Imagine what his younger brother might be like after getting some if that NBA money from Kevin..

I'm okay with skipping on Knox; we already have tall wing Richmond, who has his own shooting problems, then getting a great guard in the transfer portal, since we missed on Edgewcombe.
Richmond is about 6'5 but athletic. I like the improvements to his shooting I saw over the weekend in Camden's win over Isaiah Evans and North Mecklenberg at Hoophall. With Richmond, it's more about shot selection-and with this year's Camden team and for the NJ Scholars-he had to score and be the focal point.

Richmond is an elite defensive player and what gives me hope about his improved shooting was seeing the FT stroke and fact his release was consistent when he shot--made 3 of 4 3pt shots and one he missed rimmed out. They all looked good and smooth. His FT stroke was big time. Never a doubt ball was going in. But man the dude can go--he runs the floor and covers a lot of ground. Love how he can catch ball on wing--drive and kick-has great vision as a passer too. Very underrated player in this class-I'd have him in top 15 easily. He was a better all around player than Evans-who is talented and has elite offensive potential but doesn't do much else if he's not making shots. Richmond can defend (took on assignment of Evans too), handle/pass/shoot/get to rim/finish above it. Tough. Just a warrior on the court.

What the hell is this thread lol. Tons of highly talented kids don't have great shooting numbers in HS/AAU. You don't pass on a talent like Knox for these amorphous reasons you guys are coming up with. "His brother has motor questions so Karter is probably worse now that his brother can support the family financially?" What the hell.....

The roster contruction of next years team is definitely something to keep an eye on. I hope we dont revert back to a bunch of non shooters but thats where the hope is that Reed returns to lead next years team. Lots of things fell into place with this years team and I would love for the same style to continue.
Fland can shoot the lights out. You have Perry who is an elite shooter. Richmond's 3pt shot/FT shot overall is vastly improved. Knox can shoot-he's the type if you were his #1 fan and wanted badly-you may be disappointed--but if you think he's better off elsewhere--you will be pleasantly surprised.

I liked him a lot on Team USA---where he was part of the machine--didn't like when he was a headliner for FL Rebels team. Thought he disappeared and didn't have enough fight-would just accept his fate too often. Richmond kicked his ass head to head when Rebels had a game they would've made Peach Jam Playoffs if they won.

The problem with taking Knox is the minutes he will get. We need a can't miss shooter/scorer from the portal that would help with experience also. Knox isn't going to sit on the bench a bunch, and those minutes need to be used for a guy that can shoot and score consistently.

We already have Richmond and aren't sure what he will give us. We are expecting defense and a motor from him and you can live with a guy like that on the roster. But two guys taking up that many minutes, we need a couple of sure talents if we don't want to revert back to having to teach guys how to play.

Richmond is about 6'5 but athletic. I like the improvements to his shooting I saw over the weekend in Camden's win over Isaiah Evans and North Mecklenberg at Hoophall. With Richmond, it's more about shot selection-and with this year's Camden team and for the NJ Scholars-he had to score and be the focal point.

Richmond is an elite defensive player and what gives me hope about his improved shooting was seeing the FT stroke and fact his release was consistent when he shot--made 3 of 4 3pt shots and one he missed rimmed out. They all looked good and smooth. His FT stroke was big time. Never a doubt ball was going in. But man the dude can go--he runs the floor and covers a lot of ground. Love how he can catch ball on wing--drive and kick-has great vision as a passer too. Very underrated player in this class-I'd have him in top 15 easily. He was a better all around player than Evans-who is talented and has elite offensive potential but doesn't do much else if he's not making shots. Richmond can defend (took on assignment of Evans too), handle/pass/shoot/get to rim/finish above it. Tough. Just a warrior on the court.
Richmond excites me. He could be an amazing player if he keeps developing his handle and outside shooting.

UK fans already foaming at the mouth to hate certain players on next year's team and this guy hasn't even committed.
I’ll be honest, I know nothing about Knox other than his rating. Never seen him play really. Not too many videos on him. I hope he’s better than Kevin in college. He was quite frustrating. Kinda like Edwards honestly.

Reactions: KFuqua
Sounds like he's exactly like Kevin. It has sounded like people think he's better than Kevin at this stage, but those numbers are just, yea, not good.
just what I was thinking.....Kevin was a disappointment @ UK as well as the NBA. Thought he was supposed to be a shooter, & thought the same about Karter. Apparently, they are shooters, just not makers. Karter has already stated that he wants to be 1 & done, as all UK recruits seem to be. If there is room let him join, but if he is a disappointment like other 5* have been, let him sit behind those that deserve to play. Don't need a log jam @ guard to give ccc an excuse not to play Perry.

Personally, I don't care what Kevin Knox does in the NBA. He scored 15.6 PPG, with 5.4 RPG on 34.1 3PT% shooting. He didn't miss a game either. I'd love for Karter to put up those numbers.

Fland can shoot the lights out. You have Perry who is an elite shooter. Richmond's 3pt shot/FT shot overall is vastly improved. Knox can shoot

This is exactly right. Fland and Perry can shoot. I think Jasper Johnson re-classifies too and he is an elite shooter. Plus Sheppard may come back, but if not, I bet Calipari gets a transfer shooter like Grady or Reeves.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Kevin's problem was he was the youngest player in CBB when in Lexington and left. He should've stayed another year IMO but he's still in the NBA and made a lot of $ so calling him a "Bust" isn't true. Disappointment based on projection/potential? Yes-but you can't be in the NBA for 6 yrs and be considered a bust. Scary thing is Kevin Knox is younger than many of the guys that '24 UK team is competing against now. Including Radford from A&M who still can only go left unless he has a teammate put a defender in an arm bar letting him walk to the rim

This is exactly right. Fland and Perry can shoot. I think Jasper Johnson re-classifies too and he is an elite shooter. Plus Sheppard may come back, but if not, I bet Calipari gets a transfer shooter like Grady or Reeves.
If Reed returns--the Boogie/Reed duo will be Cal's best backcourt in terms of basketball IQ/how to play with other guys/make them better. Boogie is vastly underrated by the media.

Huge Jasper Johnson fan--he's SGA 2.0 IMO

Like we have been told over and over, all of this years players can shoot, score and handle is what them so tough to handle. Either keep that going with the fundamentally sound players or revert back to having to teach some of them how to get better at the fundamentals.
Well said. Also helps that John Welch is great with player development. Not a coincidence Reeves has worked hard and improved his 2pt game--which only helps get him more space for his 3pt shot. Rob Dillingham's 3pt jumper is far superior to what it was in HS. He's got a better release and worked on it. DJ Wagner's jumper is improving. Tre Mitchell too.

Player development is important no matter how many coaches in today's game love to downplay it at the College level. Go to a clinic and listen to the "I don't develop--just coach" nonsense and you just roll your eyes. As a HS coach--we have to develop and work with guys daily just to be competitive. Apparently some of the CBB coaches feel that isn't needed or more likely, have no clue what to do with a player. Too many want to control players/use systems instead of working on the skills, fixing their shot within their mechanics and let them play freely.

Fland can shoot the lights out. You have Perry who is an elite shooter. Richmond's 3pt shot/FT shot overall is vastly improved. Knox can shoot-he's the type if you were his #1 fan and wanted badly-you may be disappointed--but if you think he's better off elsewhere--you will be pleasantly surprised.

I liked him a lot on Team USA---where he was part of the machine--didn't like when he was a headliner for FL Rebels team. Thought he disappeared and didn't have enough fight-would just accept his fate too often. Richmond kicked his ass head to head when Rebels had a game they would've made Peach Jam Playoffs if they won.
Do You think Peterson is an adidas school lock like some think. I still belive Kentucky can get him

He sounds like an ideal 4 as long as he accepts that roll. A 6'6/6'7 220lb strong body with good athleticism? Hit a 3 every now and again? Light ball handling duty? I'm okay with it.

If he's supposed to be a 3 like edwards and/or we don't surround him with shooters? Then I'll be pissed.

LOL. Kentucky should pass on Knox because he might not be much better than his brother Kevin? The one who averaged nearly 16 points a game and over 5 rebounds, while shooting better than 34 percent from 3 as a freshman?

My memories of Kevin Knox are a little warmer - of him scoring 34 against West Virginia in what was Kentucky's game of the year that year, along with having several other fine performances.

If Karter can match Kevin, I'll be thrilled to have him as a Cat.

Do You think Peterson is an adidas school lock like some think. I still belive Kentucky can get him
I think they can get him--Darryn loves Kentucky--but will Dad want to take the bag and investment is the question? The move to Huntington Prep hasn't been a great one for him basketball wise. This isn't a shot at all at Peterson-he's a tremendous player/talent, but the team around him isn't very good and if you want to transition to being a backcourt player who has the ball, need to be around better players to learn to play with the caliber of talent you will in CBB or NBA.

This is what I see occurring...

1. Fland is a solid but not known as a shooter....but he's going to the PG like Wagner next year
2. Have to hope like heck Reed is coming back to be SG/lead guard.
3. So SF today is Edwards and a combination of minutes from Reeves/Reed, etc... So next year it's Richmond...who is a somewhat poor shooter. And heaven forbid we add Knox.....he's worse shooter.
4. PF...hopefully it's Thiero and Burks....then we have flexible PF
5. C...it's Quaintenance and Somoto all the way.

Losing VJ to Baylor was a bit hit.....he'd been perfect wing to play and shoot well. Then the next question is Travis Perry...is he ready to play 20mpg next year?

All that to be said.....I see the roster lacking a shooter to replace Reeves and Dilly off the bench in terms of shooting. Portal could yeild a different result....but as of now it looks like the shooting will revert to old days.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT