ADVERTISEMENT

Why not a cylinder foul?

“If the defensive player invades that cylinder, if there’s any contact other than the offensive player clearing out space, then the foul’s going to be on the defender.”

Cahill said that interpretation will be interesting when a defender is clipped, perhaps in the face, and the foul is called on that defender for invading the offensive player’s cylinder.

I was thinking Reeves clipped someone with an elbow last year and they did call it a cylinder foul. He was facing the guy though.

Reactions: ukcatz12
By the rule playing tight defense and every player is invading the cylinder. And hands are always on the offensive players. So how is it any different. With the exception of the elbow hitting his face vs hitting neck.

Reactions: TM2013
“If the defender has invaded the space of the offensive player and the offensive player attempts a “normal basketball play” (defined as attempting to shoot, pass, dribble, or pivot) by moving his elbows from side to side either above the shoulders or below the waist with the forearms more vertical than horizontal, any resulting contact (other than incidental contact) to a defensive player caused by the swinging of the elbow shall result in a foul on the defense.”

Explain. I thought I knew, but now I have no idea.
Mitchell tried to clear out space behind him with his elbow and hit the guy in the neck area. If his defender was playing so close the defender was within space Mitchell was entitled to (I'm bad at explaining physical shapes, basically the space within the cylinder in the below picture) it would have been a cylinder foul because Mitchell is entitled to that space. He's not entitled to the 6-12 inches behind him when he's posting up.

Screenshot-2024-01-27-at-7-10-21-PM.png

There is a clear double standard by the SEC refs, but Mitchell did himself no favors there.

Great example was that egregious call on that Sheppard block - which was as clean a block as a player can make. Refs had already decided to call that, made up their damned minds.

Reactions: UKSouthpaw
We have too many rules for Basketball (and football). All these subjective rules five way too much leniency to ref

Cut out these crazy ass elbow rules / going to monitor, hook and hold need to go, etc. Refs have way too leeway to call crap snd impact games

In a world that I made the rules: Both would be a no call. Both the offensive player and the defensive player have equal right to the space in which they met. Play on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT