ADVERTISEMENT

The foul call

I assume SC will win tomorrow but most of their schedule has been beating up on bad teams. They played UConn without Cardosa before UConn started to click post injuries. But other than that- just LSU in the title game. Should’ve lost to a bad Tennessee team, and Indiana played them within four. There was no one good on the left side of the bracket so they’ve cake walked though this outside of the Indiana game.

So can Iowa win? Yeah. Is it likely? No. Either way- best possible national title matchup.
I think they'll win because UConn gave em the game plan to guard Caitlin and they have no one who can guard Cardoso.

I think they'll win because UConn gave em the game plan to guard Caitlin and they have no one who can guard Cardoso.
I didn’t think Iowa could guard Cardosa and Boston last year yet somehow won. But yeah, UConn had a good game plan and the speed to guard Clark and hold. Reminded me a bit of Minnesota guarding Mercer back in 97.

Viewership went from in the low millions to hundred thousands to probably the most watched women’s game of all time now.

Not sure how the whole game was called but they absolutely have to make that call. The NCAA is a business and has been for a while now.

Not much different than the WWE, we should understand this more than anyone.

It was very clearly an egregious moving screen. Do you have to make the call? Yes, that should be a foul every single time no matter how much time is left. No matter what team it's called on. No matter what the score is. No matter what player is involved.

Do refs miss calls like this throughout the game? Yes, but they shouldn't and it doesn't change rather or not that should be called.

I would have liked to see UConn win or lose based on thier ability to make a shot…
We all would’ve. Everybody hates it when a game’s crucial moment is decided by a ref’s call instead of a player making a play.

But that doesn’t mean the refs should stop doing their jobs in the crucial moments just to give us better drama. Their job is to make the correct call even if it displeases the audience. And this was the correct call.

I didn’t think Iowa could guard Cardosa and Boston last year yet somehow won. But yeah, UConn had a good game plan and the speed to guard Clark and hold. Reminded me a bit of Minnesota guarding Mercer back in 97.
Boston had 8 and Cardoso had 14. Cardoso looks much better this year and I think their new comers are probably better than the replaced in almost cases. I don't like Staley at all so I hope Iowa wins but I'm thinking 15+ win if they use the same game plan on Clark. If they don't probably 4+. If Clark has the same shooting night as last night, 25+.

The issue is the slow mo replay they were showing was at the wrong angle and didn't show how far she stretched her legs. It's the definition of an offensive foul on screen. If you just zoom in on the main broadcast angle you can see how clear it is. This is partly on Buekers as well for running so far from Edwards to get around the screen. If Buekers brushes shoulders with Edwards then Edwards doesn't have to lunge like that.

Illegal screen. A screener can be moving as long as they are moving in the same direction. A screen is either illegal or legal. On that play the screener was completely outside of her vertical plane. Her legs were spread apart and she made contact with the defender. She also initiated contact with the defender. When screening a moving opponent time and distance are a factor. You must allow the defender no more than 2 steps to avoid the screen. The screener also extended her elbow out and made contact. This was the right call and a great call. I am a 27 year basketball official.
Oh $hit.
The gamblers and the Clark haters not gonna like you reading them the rules.

Victims run on emotions. Facts don't care about feelings.

Oh $hit.
The gamblers and the Clark haters not gonna like you reading them the rules.

Victims run on emotions. Facts don't care about feelings.

As a UK fan, don’t really get the Iowa hate.

Besides one extremely talented player, they’re all non athletic, undersized, and overmatched and at every position. On paper, they have no business having the success that they’ve had. They play with a ton of heart.

Besides one extremely talented player, they’re all non athletic, undersized, and overmatched and at every position. On paper, they have no business having the success that they’ve had. They play with a ton of heart.
You just answered your own question.

Reactions: BlueRunner11
Was it close? Yes
But was it a foul? Yes
And you should call the end of the game like the rest of it, and not give the advantage to players who cross that line late in the game.
I agree but my only issue is call that all the time- I see so many moving screens in each game, where somebody sticks their butt, elbow or leg out that are not called and when they do call one, everybody gets in an uproar- either call it all the time or don't call it at all

Reactions: preacherfan
Lebron, Angel Reese and Gabrielle Union 😂🤣
If LeBron took a hit like that they would have had to call an am bu lance to carry him off the floor.

Biggest flopper in the NBA and he is calling out an obvious foul where that Iowa player got creamed on a moving screen???

Lol at that big puss.
LeBron better hope no one tweets a collage of his flops in EVERY game.

I think that is the key point of disagreement between us. I watched it over and over on replay and I don't think the UConn player committed an obvious foul as much as the reaction of the Iowa player made it look worse than it was. Even if we disagree on this particular call, I am sure we both agree that players in other cases are overacting too much of the time trying to sell the call. One of the infamous Higgins' calls is the classic example of that.
The uconngirl was moving as she attempted setting the scree her legs were far apart and she deleivered a football block shoulder in to the Marshall girl and she wasnt acting that was a solid lick a foul is a foul at the begiinning of a game ot at the last of a game.good call.

1. I’m not sure it was all of American
2. That is some weak sauce foul call…she leaned into it….maybe. But it was typical ref that reacts to rhe Iowa player falling down more then anything

And in a game where your constant grabbing and hold players defensively…to call that weak sauce foul that ended the game essentially..::it’s not the best decision
You've seen one angle I assume...the ones that keep complaining show, look at the other ones available. She moved 2 feet...its not even questionable

Was it close? Yes
But was it a foul? Yes
And you should call the end of the game like the rest of it, and not give the advantage to players who cross that line late in the game.
I agree and the refs called that a couple of times earlier in the game too, so there is no excuse for the screen setter to be leaning. But there were a lot of great plays during the game and a lot of terrible plays. They all made a difference. It was a good game.

Reactions: susan2361
Again, if some of you are mad about an actual correct call being made.. I can't imagine how pissed you'd be with the Wisconsin shot clock violation, an LEGITMATELY bad call, that technology should have been used to easily say "no basket".
iu

Is the shot clock at Zero? Yes.
Is the ball in his hands? Yes.
Simple.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
You didn’t watch it if you think it was a weak foul

I was just getting ready to post this exact same thing. It was definitely a foul and all you have to do is slow down the tape to see it. Heck, even if you didn't slow it down, I thought it was obvious. And I have no stake in this game so I'm not biased one way or the other. It was a good game, but both teams did things (or didn't do things) that put them in their particular position at the end of the game. This is one time I think the refs did okay.

Yeah, I agree. I don't understand the hate for Iowa. Is it just because of Caitlin Clark or some other reason?

You and I both know that every foul will never be called in any game on any team, I mean like never. Some fouls are more egregious than others when an advantage is gained, some happen in a crowd that are harder to see, some (like this one) happen in a wide open space. This was a textbook moving screen that would get called at any point in the game. Not a touch foul to the shooting hand, not a 50/50 block/charge call, not a judgement call of any kind but rather a correctly called foul. Some fouls get missed, some don’t, this one didn’t, end of story and game.
I like the way you stated it. It really wasn't a "judgement" call. To me it was black and white. People should stop and think to themselves, what if my team won because the correct call WAS made and then what if my team lost because the correct call WASN'T made.

I watched the game with no bias because I have no stake in either team. I was just watching because I like basketball and have not seen a women's game this season. That was the correct call.

Again, if some of you are mad about an actual correct call being made.. I can't imagine how pissed you'd be with the Wisconsin shot clock violation, an LEGITMATELY bad call, that technology should have been used to easily say "no basket".
Completely changed the outcome. The sequence of events is burned into my mind forever

Shot clock violation allows them to tie
UK miss
Decker 3
Flop charge called on Lyles

Ball game

There’s been a lot of rules that have been put in cause of a Kentucky game the previous year. Remember when they implemented the rule that a jump ball goes to the defense automatically in 1999 cause UK had the possession arrow in the final four when Padgett got tied up at the end that would’ve helped Stanford win it?😂

I’m saying it was a bad call that wouldn’t have been called if Iowa had the ball with a chance for Clark to make a winning shot.

pretty simple
You do not know that . Really a dumb statement. You call a foul because it’s a foul and it’s not dependent on any other situation.

Of course they do. There’s also a certain group who does not like Clark or her fans, downplays her talent and accomplishments and are pro Reese with every take.

It’s pretty impossible to ignore if you’ve read the comment section of any Clark and Reese post the last year.
And their opinion means nothing. No more so than anyone on here that doesn’t know the rules. Just because they have a platform to spew it on doesn’t make them right.

I think that is the key point of disagreement between us. I watched it over and over on replay and I don't think the UConn player committed an obvious foul as much as the reaction of the Iowa player made it look worse than it was. Even if we disagree on this particular call, I am sure we both agree that players in other cases are overacting too much of the time trying to sell the call. One of the infamous Higgins' calls is the classic example of that.
It's not about fouling. She was moving while setting a screen.

You do not know that . Really a dumb statement. You call a foul because it’s a foul and it’s not dependent on any other situation.
Sure I do, if you think a referee is going to call a weak sauce foul to prevent Caitlin Clark from taking a game winning shot to get to the title game you’re nuts.
I would’ve been upset too, because it would’ve still been a bad call.

• Haha
Reactions: chiefcat420
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT