ADVERTISEMENT

Why have low expectations

Jan 26, 2003
I’m not sure why everyone assumes we will be trash for a couple of years. The new women’s coach quickly brought in 3 or 4 quality players. We are Kentucky. There will be a couple of guys to stay, the new coach will bring 2-4 players with him and the transfer portal is always full. I thought I heard them say Alabama had something like 9 new players on the roster this year and made the final 4. I just don’t see why it’s a foregone conclusion that we will be bad next season.

Sometimes people just like being miserable.

People say Cal will take his class with him and current players, but don't give any credit to whomever the new coach is bringing theirs in.

If we get Oats or Drew they will bring some current players and recruits with them to start.

Plus UK's NIL draw will get transfers.

Rebuilding a roster isn't nearly as hard nowadays.

Travis Perry may be are only returning player … I sure hope not, but it seems possible.

The personality of most coaches is that they can fix any problem.
At the end of the day, we are still the winningest program in college basketball history. We will get a great coach.

Reactions: TM2013
The odds are we will not have a very good team next year. But we've not had a very good year for several seasons, so...

At least now I will have some hope. I've not even had hope for a few years.

Reactions: KFuqua
I don’t see it being any worse than it was going to be anyway. Probably will be better.

The first year transition pains are inevitable. But that’s OK, because next season was gonna suck anyways even if Cal stayed.

But with NIL and the transfer portal, the new coach should easily be able to have a powerhouse roster once again by year 2.

Reactions: TM2013
I’m not sure why everyone assumes we will be trash for a couple of years. The new women’s coach quickly brought in 3 or 4 quality players. We are Kentucky. There will be a couple of guys to stay, the new coach will bring 2-4 players with him and the transfer portal is always full. I thought I heard them say Alabama had something like 9 new players on the roster this year and made the final 4. I just don’t see why it’s a foregone conclusion that we will be bad next season.
We'll be fine. The irony in all of this is that those of use who were disappointed with JVC were the "Legion of Doom" because of our negativity toward the head coach. But now that he's gone, it's the diehard Cal slurpers that are all negative about what will happen to the program. Change needed to happen. If Barnhart gets the hire right, we'll be competitive next year and can build off of that.

Sometimes people just like being miserable.

People say Cal will take his class with him and current players, but don't give any credit to whomever the new coach is bringing theirs in.

If we get Oats or Drew they will bring some current players and recruits with them to start.

Plus UK's NIL draw will get transfers.

Rebuilding a roster isn't nearly as hard nowadays.
Agree.

Yes the coaches are the primary reason players select a school, but not the only reason, there are other factors (for example it may be 50% head coach, 20% assistant coach, 20% NIL, 10% school). So, I will not be surprised if one or even 2 of the 5 recruits (not from KY) still comes after talking w/ our new coach (plus if he is a college coach he could bring some of his own, or there are a few undecided like McNeeley). You know whoever takes over will quickly:
1) assemble at least part of a staff
2) meet with the potential returning players
3) talk with the signed/committed recruits
4) start talking with Portal guys

Kentucky fans should expect no less than the turn-around from NIT in 2009 to #1 seed and Elite Eight team in 2010.

Why run off a coach who did that for one who can't?

I know you have brain damage but Calipari is choosing to leave. He is resigning for another job at another company.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT