ADVERTISEMENT

Who is kentuckys worst starter of all time?

When I saw the post my first thought was Saul Smith but looking back I think he was 'serviceable' compared to some of the others mentioned here, especially Askew. Gun to your head, would you start Askew over Saul?

I would probably start Smith. We have had some awful point guards the past 2 decades or so with Smith, Porter and Askew leading the charge there. Do not get me wrong, overall, very strong at PG but when it was bad it was bad lol

Reactions: Finna_Go_HAM
The question is whether we’re talking about who is the worst player qualitatively or who did the team the most damage on the court. Boston is obviously a way better player than Coury in terms of sheer talent, but you can also fairly argue that Boston hurt the team far more.

Coury was a starter in name only, he did not play starter minutes (only 10 mpg). There’s only so much damage a player can do in only 10 minutes per game. And, as you said, Coury understood his limitations. He knew he was a bad shooter, and thus did not attempt difficult shots (hence why he finished with a far better percentage than Boston).

Whereas Boston played over 30 minutes per game and forked up way more shots than anybody else on the team. A bad shooter who won’t stop shooting does a lot more harm than a bad shooter who knows when not to shoot.
This.
Coury didn’t take unnecessary chances, turn the ball over, or play selfishly and yeah, he only played 10mpg, there's no way he’s the worst starter ever. Maybe least talented, but not worst.
Boston literally lost games for UK. He knew he had limitations, but he didn't care, he shot the ball no matter what the consequences were.
The correct answer is Boston.

Regular starter? Devin Askew and it is not close. My goodness what a gaffe by the coaching staff thinking that kid was good enough to start and play 30 minutes a game as a freshman.

He may turn out to be a decent player down the road but he was absolutely awful in his lone season here.

And honestly i’m not sure i even need the qualifier of “regular starter”. He was worse than most if not all the walk ons over the years that have gotten their token senior day start.

Edit: okay after reading the thread i have to admit i completely forgot about Kahlil Whitney. Askew and whitney might be 1a and 1b.
I still think BJB did far more damage than Askew.

The part that boggles my mind is, Cal had Askew reclass to come in and run point… ..AT KENTUCKY.

Then, Chris Beard at Texas Tech made crazy statements about how great Askew was. WTH is going on with these guys?

Boston wasn’t even the worst starter on the team he played for .
No, but he did far more damage than anyone I can think of. Askew was just too incompetent, Boston knew he was hurting the team, but he didn't care.
You will be hard pressed to find a player that did more to prevent a team from winning, than BJB, because there is no other coach at this level, that would allow it to happen, we have the one guy that allows it.

Archie Goodwin was frustrating at times . Saying he was one of the worst starters in history is crazy .
Ryan Harrow bears a lot of blame for Goodwin’s struggles.

Harrow’s issues forced Archie to play out of position at point.. And he was just not at all suited to be the primary ballhandler, dude had total tunnel vision where he was so focused on driving that he didn’t see the open teammates he should’ve been passing to. When he played point he became a turnover and charge machine (“the human bowling ball”, as one person here aptly nicknamed him).

His season would’ve gone better if he’d stayed at the the wing spot.

Ryan Harrow bears a lot of blame for Goodwin’s struggles.

Harrow’s issues forced Archie to play out of position at point.. And he was just not at all suited to be the primary ballhandler, dude had total tunnel vision where he was so focused on driving that he didn’t see the open teammates he should’ve been passing to. When he played point he became a turnover and charge machine (“the human bowling ball”, as one person here aptly nicknamed him).

His season would’ve gone better if he’d stayed at the the wing spot.

Yeah, give Goodwin Teague at PG and a healthy Noel all season then I think that team probably makes at least the Sweet 16 and he is remembered more fondly.

I wish we could see the below line up together:

C: Coury PF: Sheray Thomas SF: Boston SG: Porter PG: Askew

That would be a force to be reckoned with.

• Haha
Reactions: wildcatwelder
Follow me here lol
Saul Smith for 2 reasons
1. He was horrible
2. But more importantly all the recruits knew his Dad had the Nepotism going on and wasn’t going to start anyone else but Saul so it kept us from getting any McD’s AA PG’s in his place!
I see what you’re saying.

I still think BJB did far more damage than Askew.

The part that boggles my mind is, Cal had Askew reclass to come in and run point… ..AT KENTUCKY.

Then, Chris Beard at Texas Tech made crazy statements about how great Askew was. WTH is going on with these guys?

I just think boston looked a lot worse than he really was because he was on such a terrible team. He at least looked like he belonged in the nba this year. But Cal wanted him taking the shots. That’s not selfishness on boston’s part. That’s him doing what he’s told. The coaching staff just put a terrible team on the floor and everyone looked worse than they really were for it.

Askew however looked just as bad on a much better team. He hasn’t even looked like he belongs in D1.

No one did more damage to that team than Cal. He oversold one and done and has now bitten off more than he could chew and premature departures(guys just taking him up on his short sighted recruiting pitch) has probably cost the program the all time wins lead and some of its prestige.

I just think boston looked a lot worse than he really was because he was on such a terrible team. He at least looked like he belonged in the nba this year. But Cal wanted him taking the shots. That’s not selfishness on boston’s part. That’s him doing what he’s told. The coaching staff just put a terrible team on the floor and everyone looked worse than they really were for it.

Askew however looked just as bad on a much better team. He hasn’t even looked like he belongs in D1.

No one did more damage to that team than Cal. He oversold one and done and has now bitten off more than he could chew and premature departures(guys just taking him up on his short sighted recruiting pitch) has probably cost the program the all time wins lead and some of its prestige.
Part of it will always be on whoever the coach is, because we're talking about worst players, so these are guys that shouldn't be on the court.

I know Askew was limited and I know that was a bad team, but Jackson didn’t let the fact that it was a bad team stop him from playing great.

Anytime UK would go on a run, Boston would kill it by taking shots he knew he couldn’t hit, which was the same thing Brooks did just this past year.

I've never seen a guy raise up from 5' and miss everything except the backboard, while being totally unguarded. Boston accomplished that feat multiple times.

Yeah, Askew kept picking up his dribble before gettingto the timeline, but I felt like BJB did far more damage to the team than DA.

Cal needs to ditch this stupid "if you're open, you better shoot it, or you’re coming out" garbage. That is some of the worst game planning I've ever heard of.

Reactions: Montana81
Martinez basically lost the Michigan final four game giving up a rebound on a missed free throw follow by an And 1 on Chris Webber in rapid succession
The and 1 was Jackson, not Weber. However, I get your point. Don't forget about the 3 awful shot he took in overtime. The runner and two 3 pointers nobody asked him to take.

Reactions: CELTICAT
Bob Guyette was good as a PF on the 1975 team, but he was God awful as our center on a very weak 1974 team. He was too slow defensively and had really very few post moves and traveled way too much. Just an average rebounder at center, but he had to fill some big shoes after Jim Andrews graduated the year before.
Bob G was serviceable averaging 9 PPG & 6+RPG over three seasons in an era where scoring 70-75 PPG as a team was a good outing. Also, he scored 16 in the finals loss to UCLA.

Not great but not awful to my recollection....personally, I don't think I would put him on the "worst starters" starting five.

GBB!

Reactions: maxp12
Hood stated a couple of games and was spectacularly bad.
Hood never started a game other than his token Senior Day appearance …which I don’t think should count. So I don’t think he qualifies for this discussion.

Same goes for Dwight Perry, who only started one game in which he only played one minute.. Seems to me like there should be more than just one token start in which one barely played to qualify.

Reactions: STL_Cat
If and when the ACC breaks apart, I believe Duke would go to a new major conference because of their relationship with Nike. Nike is king.

• Haha
Reactions: kywildcat41086
She Ray- cost UK an SECT game with a late lane violation.

Im not going to say Thomas was a good player, but he had cancer and they removed a tennis ball sized malignant mass from his body. He showed a lot of potential the second half of his sophomore year, but he never really came into his own after that cancer scare. I can give the guy a pass all things considered.

Rob Locke was pretty bad, as was Richard Madison, Hood stated a couple of games and was spectacularly bad, Saul Smith wouldn't be on thislist if he wasn't the coaches son, he at least played hard. Just about half the starters that played in Gilespie era would have qualified.
The year Madison started (junior), he averaged 9.1ppg/7.4rpg. He was actually a pretty serviceable starter. Lock was the 51st pick in the NBA draft believe it or not. The guy from that squad is easily Cedric Jenkins…12 starts…career 2.5ppg/2.4rpg.

The worst starter is Coury. Not sure why he played at all much less started. The strange stat is, Coury started more games for UK during the 2007-2008 than any other player.

Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
Part of it will always be on whoever the coach is, because we're talking about worst players, so these are guys that shouldn't be on the court.

I know Askew was limited and I know that was a bad team, but Jackson didn’t let the fact that it was a bad team stop him from playing great.

Anytime UK would go on a run, Boston would kill it by taking shots he knew he couldn’t hit, which was the same thing Brooks did just this past year.

I've never seen a guy raise up from 5' and miss everything except the backboard, while being totally unguarded. Boston accomplished that feat multiple times.

Yeah, Askew kept picking up his dribble before gettingto the timeline, but I felt like BJB did far more damage to the team than DA.

Cal needs to ditch this stupid "if you're open, you better shoot it, or you’re coming out" garbage. That is some of the worst game planning I've ever heard of.

Jackson’s role was a lot simpler than the guards to be fair. He was just in there to rebound and block shots and get easy put backs. Boston was the designated shot taker and it’s not all his fault there weren’t good shots to be taken. Again, that team was so bad. You can’t put a completely new team on the floor and expect to be competitive in D1 unless they’re all future all stars. And that just isn’t happening.

The damage argument…i don’t know man. I just can’t fall in line with that. I honestly don’t blame any of the players for that team being so bad. They were put in a position to fail. New team for everyone. No off season.

Granted i’m not saying boston played well. But again, i don’t fault him for trying to play the role he was assigned to. Especially once Clarke went out he just had no one else on that end of the floor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT