ADVERTISEMENT

Who Gets The Call?

sluggercatfan

All-American
Aug 17, 2004
Many of you know I have been on here and consistently has been adamant about a runner being safe at first if it is a tie which was something that I have heard my entire life playing baseball, fastpitch softball... Well my oldest brother's wife died this week and went to the funeral today...my nephew was there and he umpires college baseball so I asked him this very question. He told me that I was incorrect and that the tie does not go to the runner and that he must earn that base by beating out the throw. I guess what i learned and thought all my life is not the case. He's also a dentist so what does he know:baseball::baseball::joy::joy::joy::sunglasses:

Last edited:
Many of you know I have been on here and consistently has been adamant about a runner being safe at first if it is a tie which was something that I have heard my entire life playing baseball, fastpitch softball... Well my brother's oldest wife died this week and went to the funeral today...my nephew was there and he umpires umpires college baseball and I asked him this very question. He told me that I was incorrect and that the tie does not go to the runner and that he must earn that base by beating out the throw. I guess what i learned and thought all my life is not the case. He's also a dentist so what does he know:baseball::baseball::joy::joy::joy::sunglasses:
You had this discussion at a funeral? Cold.

Just seemed like a strange conversation at a funeral. And a tie always goes to the runner

Just seemed like a strange conversation at a funeral. And a tie always goes to the runner
As I told my nephew , that's what I've thought my entire life, but he umps HS, college at P5 level and he tells that it's not the rule . Defense gets the tie.

I have also heard that saying my whole life, so you're not alone. I think many people, even baseball talking heads, believe it. I read up on it a while back when you mentioned it and it is pretty interesting on how it arose.

http://www.umpirebible.com/ubBlog/archives/359
Lots of contradiction there. Looks there actually is no "rule". Thanks for the trouble and I have sent this to him. Have a family reunion on Thursday so I'm sure we'll discuss this again.

Last edited:
Lots of contradiction there. Looks there actually is no "rule". Thanks for the trouble and I have sent this to him. Have a family reunion on Thursday so I'm sure we'll discuss this again.
Truth is that there is no rule, because it is their belief that there is no "tie".

Reactions: Comebakatz3
Truth is that there is no rule, because it is their belief that there is no "tie".
There should be a definitive rule made one way or the other! There are ties whether they want to admit it or not. They have conflicting rules and I'll bet you that every umpire grew up believing what we were taught.

Last edited:
For a little FYI...my nephew told me that Henderson was an ahole, McDonald was ok and Mingione was too nice.

Last edited:
For a little FYI...my nephew told me that Henderson was an ahole, McDonald was ok and Mingione was too nice.

Hendo may have been an a-hole to umps but the guy was super nice when I had an interaction with him. Funny story actually. We saw him out at a restaurant and my daughter, I think she was 3 at the time, just went up to him and said I know you. You coach my Wildcats. He smiled and said yes I do and he talked to her for just a few minutes.

You had this discussion at a funeral? Cold.

Not really. When you are at the funeral home, you are just standing around talking to many people that you haven't seen in years and you catch up on how each other's lives are going and you talk smalltalk about subjects that are of mutual interest. Especially when the deceased did not die unexpectedly.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Hendo may have been an a-hole to umps but the guy was super nice when I had an interaction with him. Funny story actually. We saw him out at a restaurant and my daughter, I think she was 3 at the time, just went up to him and said I know you. You coach my Wildcats. He smiled and said yes I do and he talked to her for just a few minutes.

I think Henderson was a nice guy, but I heard rumors (take that for what it is worth) that he had trouble making tough decisions and would often basically just sit frozen in the dugout. In fact, it was alleged that in at least one game, the catcher at the time had to basically take over as coach because Henderson was there, but unreachable. Basically, just not really head coach type material. I don't know if this was true as I never sat in the dugout myself, but I don't think it is far fetched.

I think Henderson was a nice guy, but I heard rumors (take that for what it is worth) that he had trouble making tough decisions and would often basically just sit frozen in the dugout. In fact, it was alleged that in at least one game, the catcher at the time had to basically take over as coach because Henderson was there, but unreachable. Basically, just not really head coach type material. I don't know if this was true as I never sat in the dugout myself, but I don't think it is far fetched.

I had heard that story too. I had also heard that Brian Green was the de facto head coach while he was here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT