ADVERTISEMENT

PGA CHAMPIONSHIP VALHALLA

Well, the PGA sold its interest in the club, which isn't a good sign. Also, I've read where there was some unhappiness in terms of this week's setup for spectators, traffic, etc.
I don’t know, all things considered I think they do a great job. The death/cop/Scottie deal was a freak occurrence. There’s enough sold out suites and clubs to go around for a century. Never had any major issues seeing whoever I wanted.

Hope it comes back!

Reactions: parrott and Tskware
Vahalla will get another PGA - organization’s love money and its a money maker. Lots of golf media upset about the -21 and low scores - did they all think the Masters should move when DJ shot -20 in November during Covid.
Vahalla plays a lot tougher in August when PGA normally is held.
Yes they could have narrowed fairways and shaved hill on two but I bet they did great TV ratings

Is is true that there wasn't any actual parking available at the club itself or adjacent to the club?

Is is true that there wasn't any actual parking available at the club itself or adjacent to the club?
There was a lot of parking across the street from Valhalla and down the street in various church/business parking lots but they were by permit only. I’m guessing they were for all the various staff and volunteers. Patrons were told to park at fairgrounds and shuttle in. Surprisingly that was pretty damn smooth. Walk ups weren’t supposed to be allowed but I know a few that walked up with no issues.

We were there yesterday, here are my quick pros and cons:

PROS: The PGA should and will come back to Valhalla, great venue to stage big events, and always produces a great tournament. The accident was a freak tragedy and should have no bearing on future events. And lets be honest, money talks, PGA had to make a gazillion dollars on the event. Huge crowd really into the action. Frankly, crowd favorite was Bryson (and I can't stand LIV), but Schauffele had plenty of support as well. The last two putts on 18 sounded like a winning TD at Commonwealth Stadium. OT: Free concession food and water is a great idea, was just like walking into a cafeteria line, not much choice, and nothing fancy, but a quick bit of grub is all you are looking for at an event like this.

CONS: Personally, I thought they sold WAY too many tickets. I have been to all four PGAs played there, including the Sunday round that McIlroy won in 2014, and the crowds were nothing like yesterday. I prefer to walk more and follow the leaders but was just impossible, very difficult to find a spot to watch much golf, so my wife and I spent most of our time around 7-9 (especially around 9 green), and then parked it over on 18, trying to get down to holes 10-15 with the mobs of fans would have been really difficult, and probably would have not seen much action at all. I would love to see comparison of attendance between 1996, 2000, 2014 and 2024.

As one example, course ran out of beer before the leaders had reached the 4th hole, and many stations ran out of water as well. Everyone expects a big crowd at a major championship, but I wish Valhalla and the PGA would give more thought to how many fans can really be accommodated at the site.

Overall, it was a memorable experience and glad we made the effort.

^ Was a hole captain on hole 9 all week and concur that if you could get a spot around the green, you could see some great 2nd shots coming and watching the putting was pretty nice.

Will say that the conservative shot was middle/left of the green but most of the pros didn’t get the ball high enough on their first putt - exceptions were Cantley & Harman. Both hit 25+ footers from that spot

Reactions: Tskware
^^^^good points. They underestimated the galleries, for sure. They also need to review how they had the ropes set up on certain holes, which had the fans well off the greens and other viewing areas when it wasn't necessary. In the event they ever get another tourney there, that can definitely be improved.

At the very least, I'd welcome the Senior PGA back, which Valhalla hasn't hosted since Watson won in like 2011. The Senior events are more casual and you'd still get a lot of name stars. I enjoyed going to the Senior PGA when it was in Indiana in 2015.

We were there yesterday, here are my quick pros and cons:

PROS: The PGA should and will come back to Valhalla, great venue to stage big events, and always produces a great tournament. The accident was a freak tragedy and should have no bearing on future events. And lets be honest, money talks, PGA had to make a gazillion dollars on the event. Huge crowd really into the action. Frankly, crowd favorite was Bryson (and I can't stand LIV), but Schauffele had plenty of support as well. The last two putts on 18 sounded like a winning TD at Commonwealth Stadium. OT: Free concession food and water is a great idea, was just like walking into a cafeteria line, not much choice, and nothing fancy, but a quick bit of grub is all you are looking for at an event like this.

CONS: Personally, I thought they sold WAY too many tickets. I have been to all four PGAs played there, including the Sunday round that McIlroy won in 2014, and the crowds were nothing like yesterday. I prefer to walk more and follow the leaders but was just impossible, very difficult to find a spot to watch much golf, so my wife and I spent most of our time around 7-9 (especially around 9 green), and then parked it over on 18, trying to get down to holes 10-15 with the mobs of fans would have been really difficult, and probably would have not seen much action at all. I would love to see comparison of attendance between 1996, 2000, 2014 and 2024.

As one example, course ran out of beer before the leaders had reached the 4th hole, and many stations ran out of water as well. Everyone expects a big crowd at a major championship, but I wish Valhalla and the PGA would give more thought to how many fans can really be accommodated at the site.

Overall, it was a memorable experience and glad we made the effort.
This sums it up perfectly for me. This was my first PGA event and I had a great time, but I think they sold too many tickets.

But Having said that, the kids had a blast and were able to get close to the players due to some gracious adult fans that would move so they could get a little closer. I don't play golf and don't really follow it much so I couldn't pick a lot of these guys out of a lineup, but the kids would go nuts every time they saw someone. It was more fun for me to watch them geeking out than watching the pros.

And kudos to all the pros we met, they were all so gracious. The kids were able to get a bunch of Autographs and even some gloves, and balls from the likes of Justin Thomas, Tony Finau, Bryson Dechambeau, and a bunch of others.

Reactions: parrott and Tskware
Felt a funny connection with Schauffele yesterday on 18. Have played Valhalla 3 or 4 times and the only time I had a chance to break 80, had the EXACT same shot as he did on 18. Pin was about the same and had to get it up and down to shoot 79. Now, it will probably shock no one to read that I did not play it quite like Xander did yesterday. 🤣

I flubbed the chip, think it may even have gone into the bunker, and knocked it up on the green, then two putted for bogey. Thus, I kept my day job. :(

Reactions: parrott and cole854
Valhalla is a hard course, yet rewards great golf shots, and w/ perfect greens, then these guys can go low if the putter is working. The final score is not indicative of the test, and there is nothing wrong w/ having a course reward great golf. There are easier courses on tour that have higher scores, for example.

Valhalla is a great course. These pro's today are just so good that most tracks have no chance in soft conditions and not much wind. The biggest defense is its length but these guys hit the ball so far now that it did not matter much. I will never rank a course based on how well pros play on it. They are on a different planet than the rest of us.

I don’t know, all things considered I think they do a great job. The death/cop/Scottie deal was a freak occurrence. There’s enough sold out suites and clubs to go around for a century. Never had any major issues seeing whoever I wanted.

Hope it comes back!
If they were using the lot in the park across the street for rideshare dropoffs, they should just build a temporary pedestrian bridge over shelbyville rd. It wouldn't be all that difficult, they put together all of those grandstands and two story tents, they make temporary structures like that. would help alleviate a lot of the having to stop traffic to allow pedestrians to cross. Could have saved a life and an entire friday morning fiasco.

Vahalla will get another PGA - organization’s love money and its a money maker. Lots of golf media upset about the -21 and low scores - did they all think the Masters should move when DJ shot -20 in November during Covid.
Vahalla plays a lot tougher in August when PGA normally is held.
Yes they could have narrowed fairways and shaved hill on two but I bet they did great TV ratings
I don't really follow a lot of Golf, only when it affects my community like the PGA, it's kinda fun to get into watching, but why is the PGA championship the only major or even a tournament of any kind that Valhalla would qualify for. I know they hosted the Ryder Cup a while back and a Seniors championship at one point. I know the PGA Championship is a massive draw, as was the Ryder Cup, but aren't there any other non-majors that aren't fixed to one location that could consider Valhalla? What about any of the LIV events?

Hope it comes back!
RE; Parking, having to shuttle pretty much all the way across town for parking was pretty ludicrous. they do need to resolve that. in the past they had places out off Old Henry, Much Much closer to shuttle from, but much of that has been recently developed and is no longer available. They need to be able to utilize the park across the street more, or pick 3-4 places much closer by to get parking spaces and sell passes to account for how many spaces are available. SHould be plenty of options a lot closer than the damn fairgrounds.

Reactions: bigbluedon
I don't really follow a lot of Golf, only when it affects my community like the PGA, it's kinda fun to get into watching, but why is the PGA championship the only major or even a tournament of any kind that Valhalla would qualify for. I know they hosted the Ryder Cup a while back and a Seniors championship at one point. I know the PGA Championship is a massive draw, as was the Ryder Cup, but aren't there any other non-majors that aren't fixed to one location that could consider Valhalla? What about any of the LIV events?
The PGA recently sold their stake in Valhalla. I’d say LIV would be an option in the future. But that whole situation is apt to change at any time.

The PGA recently sold their stake in Valhalla. I’d say LIV would be an option in the future. But that whole situation is apt to change at any time.
I know they sold. (i'm acquainted with one of the Owners) That's why I asked about LIV. Not sure why the PGA sold their interest other than they were focusing on building their big new headquarters and Golf Course in Frisco Texas.

I know they sold. (i'm acquainted with one of the Owners) That's why I asked about LIV. Not sure why the PGA sold their interest other than they were focusing on building their big new headquarters and Golf Course in Frisco Texas.

The reason LIV won't happen is the moment Valhalla pulls that trigger then the PGA will permanently write off using the course for future events, whether they be a regular TOUR stop, major, senior major, etc. It's why LIV is having to play other courses like the Greg Norman course in Nashville because anything that wants a PGA event fears getting blacklisted, which is a valid issue if you are looking at what this tournament brought into Louisville.

Valhalla would have to be changed in a BIG way for it to ever host a U.S. Open. It just doesn't have the same challenge and the USGA would not want guys going like -15+ in the national championship. The Ryder Cup barely rarely visits the same U.S. location twice so that can written off for the time being.

I'd be fine with having Valhalla be the new home for the KY Championship (old Barbasol Championship) on TOUR. It'd be a MUCH better home than Keene Trace.

Reactions: WildcatFan1982
I'd be fine with having Valhalla be the new home for the KY Championship (old Barbasol Championship) on TOUR. It'd be a MUCH better home than Keene Trace.

Valhalla isn't going to host an alternate PGAT event. The stage/event isn't big enough for them to go to the trouble.

Valhalla isn't going to host an alternate PGAT event. The stage/event isn't big enough for them to go to the trouble.
The members would throw a fit up there. Hurstbourne Country Club rejected hosting the Barbasol.

Reactions: parrott
^ Have heard PGA has been out to ULGC multiple times after Hurstbourne said no. Not sure how it would work there as there’s no parking and a LOT of traffic going thru a neighborhood.

RE; Parking, having to shuttle pretty much all the way across town for parking was pretty ludicrous. they do need to resolve that. in the past they had places out off Old Henry, Much Much closer to shuttle from, but much of that has been recently developed and is no longer available. They need to be able to utilize the park across the street more, or pick 3-4 places much closer by to get parking spaces and sell passes to account for how many spaces are available. SHould be plenty of options a lot closer than the damn fairgrounds.
There was nothing wrong with the shuttle bus arrangements. Plenty of buses, no waiting, air conditioned. About the only thing they could have done differently is make the walk from the bus drop off to the parking a shorter distance.

Reactions: parrott
^ Have heard PGA has been out to ULGC multiple times after Hurstbourne said no. Not sure how it would work there as there’s no parking and a LOT of traffic going thru a neighborhood.

Works the same in Lex....park at Southland CC or even Keeneland in the past, and take the 15-20 min ride thru a subdivision and back roads to the drop off point. You aren't parking at the course regardless of where it is held. They could utilize SE CC Thur-Sat which is only 13 miles away from ULGC.

Obviously you haven't been to too many major's and/or PGA tour events. A 15-30 minute shuttle ride is the norm.
You have to understand it's almost like parking for a football game at the PGA 50-60,000 fans. Nowhere other than something like the Expo center will hold the crowd.

The shuttle ride wasn't 15 minutes. Or even 30. It's near 30 min in a car at 3am with zero traffic. It's 18 miles lmao.

It was an hour+, not including boarding process or driving your own vehicle another 30 minutes out of the way each way to the expo for everyone except UKO, who must have had a special airborne Shuttle Helicopter or warp zone. For me personally, it would have added 2 hrs+ RT in total drive/ride time to -- no thanks.

I've used shuttles in many tournaments, including Valhalla & Bethpage in 2019. Was fine, but Parking at Valhalla is a breeze. Encountered zero traffic in or out utilizing back roads either day.

Paid $35 Friday, $25 Saturday, at the same house, that was a lil 7-8 minute walk down the hill right into the gate, and even a free golf cart ride if you wanted...along with thousands of other savvy fans.

Last edited:
^
We took Uber from a friend house in Lake Forest Then he picked us up afterwards on Shelbyville road, so we had it relatively easy as well. Uber to get there was no sweat at all.

The shuttle system is necessary and works just fine, but at least be honest about what it entails. Have Seen that idiot use the "adds maybe 15 min" at least 10x across threads and platforms, and that's just an egregious lie.

The shuttle ride wasn't 15 minutes. Or even 30. It's near 30 min in a car at 3am with zero traffic. It's 18 miles lmao.

It was an hour+, not including boarding process or driving your own vehicle another 30 minutes out of the way each way to the expo for everyone except UKO, who must have had a special airborne Shuttle Helicopter or warp zone. For me personally, it would have added 2 hrs+ RT in total drive/ride time to -- no thanks.

I've used shuttles in many tournaments, including Valhalla & Bethpage in 2019. Was fine, but Parking at Valhalla is a breeze. Encountered zero traffic in or out utilizing back roads either day.

Paid $35 Friday, $25 Saturday, at the same house, that was a lil 7-8 minute walk down the hill right into the gate, and even a free golf cart ride if you wanted...along with thousands of other savvy fans.
I absolutely was not an hour plus. I went on Saturday. I parked at the fairgrounds at 709 am and was walking onto the grounds of Valhalla at 730. I left Valhalla around 430. I was dropping of my buddy at his house in Lexington a little after 6. It may have taken longer if you stayed til the end but I know people that did who said they were at their car at the fairgrounds in about 30 mins max. This year they were running a lot more busses than in previous years. I am sure some people had bad experiences but your assertion it was an hour plus without the boarding process or other parts is simply inaccurate.

• Haha
Reactions: B.B.d.K.
7am avoids a lot of traffic on a weekend. That's a smart and dedicated approach. But your timeline is still a lie. Park at 7:09, board, travel 18 miles in a huge bus, and inside Valhalla in 21 minutes? Lmaoooooooooooooooo

That's pretty amazing given RIGHT NOW, this very moment on a pedestrian Tuesday with regular traffic, multiple apps put the drive time in a car at 27-35 minutes from Expo to Valhalla. I live here, dipshit.

Regardless, That is absolutely not the case case at say, 10-11am, when a lot more people arrive.

Last edited:
7am avoids a lot of traffic. That's a smart and dedicated approach. But your timeline is still a lie. Park at 7:09, board, travel 18 miles, and inside Valhalla in 21 minutes? Lmaoooooooooooooooo

That's pretty amazing given RIGHT NOW, this very moment on a pedestrian Tuesday with regular traffic, multiple apps put the drive time in a car at 27-35 minutes from Expo to Valhalla. I live here, dipshit.

Regardless, That is absolutely not the case case at say, 10-11am, when a lot more people arrive.
I have time stamped text messages to my girlfriend dipshit. I lived in Louisville for years. I don't give a crap what the apps say. Unless you know the speed and which someone is driving, most of those apps set the speeds incredibly slow. I even mentioned in my post that others may have had a slower experience but I know a lot of people that went and the majority had an experience closer to mine over anything remotely close to what you allege.

Thursday morning around 830 or 9 we were in the shuttle line for 30 to 40 minutes. Partially attributable to being a busy arrival time as well as people parked on the other side of the lots just going straight the busses and skipping the line. No wait to get out of Valhalla.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT