ADVERTISEMENT

Small Forward spot

Jan 26, 2003
If we do get Vinson and Lanier, does that leave us vulnerable at SF spot? Offensively, I’m not concerned. It would be on the defensive end. Can Oweh, Brea, Chandler or Noah guard 6’8” SF’s effectively? This would be my only concern with this roster without a bigger SF.

From watching BYU, they double teamed in the post a lot. And there is a certain kind of defense we haven’t seen in a while, called zone 😂 Pope utilizes it
Yes, Pope will play a little zone, but he'll play primarily man to man, that's what will win most games.

Oweh is 6’4 or 6’5 and 215 lbs. and known as a great defender. I think he can guard most 3’s.

If Quickley and Briscoe (both 6’3) can play the 3 in the SEC, Oweh can as well.

Brea will be fine as well.

Almonor might be able to slide to the 3, if we face a team with a big SF.

If we do get Vinson and Lanier, does that leave us vulnerable at SF spot? Offensively, I’m not concerned. It would be on the defensive end. Can Oweh, Brea, Chandler or Noah guard 6’8” SF’s effectively? This would be my only concern with this roster without a bigger SF.
Brea is a guard all the way. Not enough muscle to defend most forwards. Oweh is potentially the best defender on our team, all due respect to Williams and Butler who will be in that conversation too. Oweh can do it. Would not bet against Almonor. Trent Noah might be capable if he can move his feet. If we get him, Jaxson Robinson will be another capable defender.

Oweh can guard the wing at a high level. He's 6'5" and somewhere approaching 215-220. Beyond that, we are going to have to see who we land. Almonor can probably slide up to guard a taller wing if need be, maybe Noah and Chandler also might be in the mix depending.

Robinson or Poplar would be good fits for the wing. I am hoping we can snag one of them.

Oweh is the strongest defender for the 3 spot including Robinson. He can guard strong big small forwards. Lanier if he joins will not be our best defensive guard, Butler and it is not even close. Williams, Garrison, Carr and Almonor are all capable defenders with Williams being the best defensive big. Almonor could guard the bigger 3 guys as well.

How many teams are trotting out 6'8 small forwards? Hell, most 4s aren't that big anymore as teams to small. Only team I know of that had a 6'8 small forward was us and he sucked.
You make a good point. However, there will be some bigger SF’s that could give us some trouble. I’m not saying that’s a weakness for us because we haven’t even seen this team play. Just looking at the sizes, I could see where it could possibly be a problem in some situations but, like another poster said, they have to guard us also.

Oweh had a very good Defensive Rating 98.4 as a sophomore. His offensive rating was 104.7, also very good. Considering how much experience factors into becoming a better defender, I feel very good about Oweh. He also is a guy who is candidate to take a big leap forward as Sophomores are prone to do as Juniors. I saw somewhere that Brea played more 3 than 2 last year. I think SF is a position of strength.

How many teams are trotting out 6'8 small forwards? Hell, most 4s aren't that big anymore as teams to small. Only team I know of that had a 6'8 small forward was us and he sucked.
He also measured 6'6" at the NBA combine so that just makes your point even more. I was gonna point out before others beat me to the punch that hardly anybody in college has an honest 6'8" small forward and if they do and you put a guard on them that 6'8" guy has to be able to guard a guard on the other end. If he can we need to get him; he sounds like a baller.

Reactions: BlueSince92
Oweh can guard the wing at a high level. He's 6'5" and somewhere approaching 215-220. Beyond that, we are going to have to see who we land. Almonor can probably slide up to guard a taller wing if need be, maybe Noah and Chandler also might be in the mix depending.

Robinson or Poplar would be good fits for the wing. I am hoping we can snag one of them.
Me too.

Just who is 6'8" and is a great shooter in the SEC?

SF’s have been trending more like a 3rd guard in recent years. Our best lineup last year had Reeves at the 3. Brea or Oweh is fine at the 3.
I want both Lanier and Robinson, but Robinson is best as a 4. Lanier is definitely a guard.
As is

Butler, Kerr, Perry
Brea, Chandler, Oweh, Kerr, Noah, Perry
Oweh, Brea, Chandler, Noah
Carr, Almon, Oweh, Noah
Williams, Harrison, Carr

Lanier would push Brea to 3. Oweh still gets major minutes.
Robinson would start at 4
Carr still gets major minutes.

I see us playing a different kind of fast, and forcing defenses to work very hard. I see a LOT of fast and purposeful movement.

Not a major concern.

If a guy is really skilled then I have no objection to a small forward at the 3 but as far as I'm concerned generally the 3 is another guard over a forward.

Oweh is 6’4 or 6’5 and 215 lbs. and known as a great defender. I think he can guard most 3’s.

If Quickley and Briscoe (both 6’3) can play the 3 in the SEC, Oweh can as well.

Brea will be fine as well.

Almonor might be able to slide to the 3, if we face a team with a big SF.
This.

Oweh is your wing defender at the 3. He gives you something you didn't have on the 2017 team against UNC's Jackson; and he gives you something the 2015 team lost once Poythress went down.

We are undersized at SF with current roaster . I don’t think we have the athleticism or muscle at PF either.

Obviously you can compensate that with different rotation maybe playing two bigs or some zone.

For most games we will be fine. For a handful of game we might be exposed because how big or athletic the other team are built:
- early on against Duke. They have big guards and they could play Flagg at 3 or 4 that could be a match up problem.
- Alabama twice in SEC : similar to Duke , their guards , Grant Nelson , Derrion Reid, Naas Cunningham, and Aiden Sherrell would create issues to our luck of size and athleticism.
- Arkansas pending how Calipari finishes the roaster could pose some match problem at 3and 4.

Last edited:
We are undersized at SF with current roaster . I don’t think we have the athleticism or muscle at PF either.

Obviously you can compensate that with different rotation maybe playing two bigs or some zone.

For most games we will be fine. For a handful of game we might be exposed because how big or athletic the other team are built:
- early on against Duke. They have big guards and they could play Flagg at 3 or 4 that could be a match up problem.
- Alabama twice in SEC : similar to Duke , their guards and Grant Nelson would create issues to our luck of size.
- Arkansas pending how Calipari finishes the roaster could pose some match problem at 3and 4.
"With the current roster" negates your concerns until the roster is complete.

We're still in on Robinson. Plus Oweh is a poor-man's Azubuike. 6'5", and 220 lbs.

We would have killed to have had a guy like him on that 2017 team.

I would add Missouri to that list after transferring Mark Mitchell from Duke and Jacob Crews.

"With the current roster" negates your concerns until the roster is complete.

We're still in on Robinson. Plus Oweh is a poor-man's Azubuike. 6'5", and 220 lbs.

We would have killed to have had a guy like him on that 2017 team.
That’s fair . We could still add two pieces.

However , Robinson or Lanier are undersized as well . They would not be a solution on defensive end . You will bring them for their offense.

There's not a lot of 6'8" small forwards at the college level.

Reactions: Bluegrassking
SF’s have been trending more like a 3rd guard in recent years. Our best lineup last year had Reeves at the 3. Brea or Oweh is fine at the 3.
I want both Lanier and Robinson, but Robinson is best as a 4. Lanier is definitely a guard.
As is

Butler, Kerr, Perry
Brea, Chandler, Oweh, Kerr, Noah, Perry
Oweh, Brea, Chandler, Noah
Carr, Almon, Oweh, Noah
Williams, Harrison, Carr

Lanier would push Brea to 3. Oweh still gets major minutes.
Robinson would start at 4
Carr still gets major minutes.

I see us playing a different kind of fast, and forcing defenses to work very hard. I see a LOT of fast and purposeful movement.
Robinson is not a 4. He measured around 6’5 at the Combine and is about 200 lbs. He’ll play the 2 and 3 spots.

Oweh is the same height and 20 lbs. stronger. If we need help at the 4, he would be the one to slide over, IMHO.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Let's also not forget that these are not freshmen coming in with the dreaded 'p' word- potential.

These are guys that have been there and done that. They've been tested and have all demonstrated that they can carry the mail. They've been through the grind and had to learn how to adapt. We have some dawgs on defense and some deadly shooting on offense. This is going to be a fun ride.

Reactions: JASUN74
I like Oweh at the 3, but imo , if we get Robinson, then he'll be the starter. Carr and Williams probably our 2 starting bigs, Brea the starter @ the 2, unless we get Lanier. Butler @ the point.

I like Oweh at the 3, but imo , if we get Robinson, then he'll be the starter. Carr and Williams probably our 2 starting bigs, Brea the starter @ the 2, unless we get Lanier. Butler @ the point.
Tend to agree, but Brea and Robinson both came off the bench for Dayton and BYU respectively, while Oweh started at Oklahoma, so it wouldn’t surprise me if he started and one of those guys came off the bench in that scenario.

Regardless, they will all three see plenty of minutes at the 2 and 3 spots.

That's why I like Robinson more than Lanier. He can play the 2, 3, or 4 in a pinch. Also knows the system.
Just because he’s 6’7”, doesn’t mean he can guard the four. You will never see him guard the power forward position unless it’s a switch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT