ADVERTISEMENT

Which incoming freshman are you the most excited for?

Man it doesn’t matter. We’ve looped back to the way basketball was before OAD. You can no longer win with 5* freshmen, the time period you could was literally a blip on the map of college basketball.
I wouldn't say "you can't win with 5* FR". But it does make it tougher, they have to be the right ones, and you do still need some good experienced tough players too. We've had some past FR who could still come in and "kill it". Honestly, I think the quality of FR has been down the past 10 years or so.

Interesting the first couple of years after "the portal" opened, many on this board were saying "you can't win with players not good enough to go to a P5 school". I was strongly, and correctly, very much in disagreement with that.

One thing to keep in mind, the experience factor widened, temporarily, due to the extra Covid year. I think next year is the last year players can have a 5th year (or is it the year after that). So once that goes away you will see less impactful-MEN playing vs these kids.

But I've always thought the best teams have a good mix of NBA lottery-pick FR, improving Sophs-JRs, and very good (but maybe flawed in NBA eyes) JRs & SRs.
What do I mean by a "flawed in NBA eyes" player? Maybe undersized for his position, think Chuck Hayes, Tyler Ulis (although he got so good a team did take him 2nd round, so he had to go), Erik Daniels, Pelphrey, Ford, ect...

Analytics were clear that our best team BY FAR was having the there R’s on the floor at the same time . the plus minus is not even close . Not debatable by reasonable people.
AI researched it and no college coach has ever not started his two best players . POPVICH did it in the Pros but that’s the only one AI was aware of .
HUGE MISTAKE AND DISLOYALTY

One, Antonio Reeves was our best player, so Calipari didn't start our 2nd and 3rd best players. Secondly, Mark Pope did it at BYU just this year. Also, Pitino started Jeff Sheppard (or Rhodes) and Riddick in 95 all season over Antoine Walker and Mark Pope.

Last edited:
Remember UK will have 4 in the McD AA game next week. Will be an interesting watch anyway.

Just 3 for McDonalds. Richmond didn't make the roster.

Nike Hoop Summit - Not announced

For the Jordan Classic, Fland, Quaintance, and Richmond made it, but not Knox.

For the Iverson Classic, only Richmond and Cyril made it.

will not watch any play. Plain and simple.
I'm sure they won't miss your lack of viewing any at all. Cal has to prove a heck of a lot to get me back on board, but it cracks me up the "I won't watch another second" crowd that really thinks they make a difference 😄

And for me it's Fland. Kid just has a grit about him that we haven't had in a guard with since Maxey.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
With our coach, there are no incoming freshman or players I'm excited for. I actually feel sorry for most of the players on the team recently.

I’m curious to see how they all do.

Probably most interested in Quaintance or Boogie.

I want a new coach. That said, I’m not a wallow in my own misery and redundantly bitch about stuff I can’t control type of person, so I am going into next season with an open mind but not expecting to be very good. I hope I am wrong.

One thing for sure we know is Perry is a basketball player. The kid is a winner like Reed has been. A give it everything player. He has the best looking shot of any highschool player I believe I've ever seen
I attended three Lyon County games in this year's All-A state tournament. Travis Perry is a hard-nosed competitor and he is in constant motion. He takes no plays off, ever. Regarding his outside shot, the most impressive aspect (for me) is he shoots it exactly the same way every time. On the other hand, his release point is pretty low. Josh Hubbard at Mississippi State is three inches shorter and Hubbard's release point on his jumper is maybe 18 inches higher; and Hubbard gets it off quicker. Perry is just not the same kind of bouncy athlete as Josh Hubbard. Perry has decent speed and quickness, however, and he battles. Definitely not a "wasted scholarship" IMO.

I attended three Lyon County games in this year's All-A state tournament. Travis Perry is a hard-nosed competitor and he is in constant motion. He takes no plays off, ever. Regarding his outside shot, the most impressive aspect (for me) is he shoots it exactly the same way every time. On the other hand, his release point is pretty low. Josh Hubbard at Mississippi State is three inches shorter and Hubbard's release point on his jumper is maybe 18 inches higher; and Hubbard gets it off quicker. Perry is just not the same kind of bouncy athlete as Josh Hubbard. Perry has decent speed and quickness, however, and he battles. Definitely not a "wasted scholarship" IMO.
Ritchie Farmer?

Not many people are the athlete Hubbard is

All of them.

I mean my god I know the results have not been there recently but every time October rolls around I am still very much grateful for UK basketball.

None. I could care less. If by chance they're better than expected I'll give them a look. I'm going into next season as an occasional fan.

Somto & Richmond - Solid guys with good size on them to compete against the grown men they’ll face. We’ve lacked guys with meat in their bones who were athletic. Most excited about them.

Boogie - excited to watch him play. I think he can be explosive.

JQ- No idea what to expect. lol

Knox - I look for him to press too hard this season worrying about draft stock, but hope I’m wrong.

Perry- He isn’t Reed. Looks taller than he’s listed, has a great motor, high IQ, plays hard, & handles the ball very well but I expect it to take him a few years to contribute in a system like this. I don’t think he was even the best Sr in this KY high school class, but had the best career. I don’t think anyone will ever question his effort though.

The incoming Freshmen are as worthless as Cals coaching ability. They will all crumble under the pressure. As Peyton Manning said…”Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing.”.

the fact Cal continues to recruit one and does in the incoming class shows me he is just rubbing it in our face that he could care less about UK and winning championships.
As Jay Wright and countless national media guys have said freshmen can no longer win the NCAA .
SO WHY SHOULD ANY BODY THATS A TRUE FAN OV OUR PROGRAM GET EXCITED ABOUT A COACH AND PLAYERS THAT WILL USE US FOR A YEAR ON THEIR WAY TO MAKE MILLIONS .
AND OUR AD SUPPORTS THIS NONSENSE .
dont understand why the Cal supporters don’t get it .

Tell me what players are coming back, what upperclassmen we have recruited and that Cal has committed to play to win rather than develop freshmen and I will get excited .
It really ought to be an interesting year now that eighty percent of the fans understand this and resent both MB and Cal for destroying our program and making it the laughingstock of the national media .

I don’t think our fans will ever boo our players . But I can easily see a full Rupp arena chanting “ FIRE CAL “ as this team of prima Donna ’s tanks . Not saying I want that . But when the higher ups don’t listen and Cal continues to favor his prospective draft picks I don’t see the season going well.

Reactions: cathead64
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT