ADVERTISEMENT

Where I’m At…..

Losses used to bother the hell out of me. Now....I’ve learned to be Stoic about them.

FGkdwUSXMAE5bPo.jpg

This is not an important post, so feel free to ridicule me at your will.

I just posted in a separate thread about trying to remain positive - and I thought I’d go ahead and share to all.

During the second half of the South Carolina game, I went negative to the extreme. I was so pissed. Angry at players, angry at Cal. Angry at the entire situation. Obviously, for good reason. I yelled at my TV. I yelled at Cal. I was over the top angry - mostly because I see the talent here and know we have the ability to be a championship team. I was loud, and pissed.

Problem was, I was watching with my little boy. Now my kid, he is a Wildcat fan. But he isn’t fanatical. He just loves basketball in general. He doesn’t hang on every basket. He doesn’t write players names on his t-shirts in magic market like I did at his age. He doesn’t map out his day around game time. But he’s a fan. He doesn’t watch all games with me, instead sometimes choosing to play Fortnite instead.

As we were watching. - he stood up and said he was going upstairs. He told me I actually scared him from being so angry. He wasn’t trying to upset me, he was literally startled at my reactions. He told me he didn’t like watching games with me because I get too loud and pissed. This made me feel like shit.

Why do I do this? Because I truly love Kentucky basketball. You probably know the type of fan I am. You are probably the same way.

But I am choosing to stay positive here. I’m going to decide to let it go, enjoy the game with my kid, and stay positive.

Why am I typing this here? Because I just needed to. That’s all.

So, 1 seed here we come!
This is a problem I have, I admit. Too, too many games I've let affect the rest of my day or week. I get too wrapped in what Cal says and what the players do or don't do. They're living their lives, we're completely invisible to them. This is just part of the college experience to them. We're just following this stuff to fill some void or make our days a little more worth living. My husband doesn't get into college hoops, but I can understand where he's coming from. Sorry to hear about the rough day you and your son had.

Between Cal, the portal and NIL I no longer have a passion for UK basketball like I once did. I try to watch every game, but don't schedule my life around it like in the past. I am at the point in my life where I would rather watch my daugher's HS bball team play over UK. That should say a lot because HS girls bball isn't the most exciting brand of bball to watch.

Losses used to bother the hell out of me. Now....I’ve learned to be Stoic about them.

FGkdwUSXMAE5bPo.jpg
I'm really getting into the roman and greek periods. Was just learning about Ακρωτιρι the other day. I always thought that it was just Pompeii and Herculaneum that were destroyed by volcanoes.

I’ve gotten used to us losing under Cal. You can tell pretty early into the game if we’re going to lose because if the other team is doing anything that gives them an advantage he doesn’t adjust.
So my wife and I spend the majority of the game laughing and talking about how terrible of a coach he is.
When a team scores on you with the same in bounds play 3 straight times, what can you do at that point but laugh?
that is me, gotten used to UK losing every game against basically any team that breathes. Just can't follow a coach that makes no adjustments to his offense or defense. Getting burned on the same inbounds play 3 times in 1 game is something that you don't even see in a grade school game. How does a coach not know why one of his players isn't playing from an old injury or a coach that constantly belittles the fans that have made the UK tradition and allowed him to be paid such an outlandish salary to be a laughing stock.

I fell asleep during halftime lol

But in all seriousness, just try to enjoy the game and teach your son about the history of UK basketball. Yeah it sucks to lose but the next day, we put on our pants on regardless so just treat it like such. Hope for the best but if not, so be it. It’s just entertainment
for the most part, it isn't even entertainment any more........almost as bad as going to the dentist

As we were watching. - he stood up and said he was going upstairs. He told me I actually scared him from being so angry. He wasn’t trying to upset me, he was literally startled at my reactions. He told me he didn’t like watching games with me because I get too loud and pissed. This made me feel like shit.
Thankfully, now, many many years ago, our dog started trembling whenever she heard the UK fight song. Exit my fanatical fandom.

Sports are entertainment and can't be raised to anything else. Are you not entertained? Turn the channel.

Here endeth the lesson.

Thanks for your post.

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74

I just posted in a separate thread about trying to remain positive - and I thought I’d go ahead and share to all.

During the second half of the South Carolina game, I went negative to the extreme. I was so pissed. Angry at players, angry at Cal. Angry at the entire situation. Obviously, for good reason. I yelled at my TV. I yelled at Cal. I was over the top angry - mostly because I see the talent here and know we have the ability to be a championship team. I was loud, and pissed.

Problem was, I was watching with my little boy. Now my kid, he is a Wildcat fan. But he isn’t fanatical. He just loves basketball in general. He doesn’t hang on every basket. He doesn’t write players names on his t-shirts in magic market like I did at his age. He doesn’t map out his day around game time. But he’s a fan. He doesn’t watch all games with me, instead sometimes choosing to play Fortnite instead.

Why do I do this? Because I truly love Kentucky basketball. You probably know the type of fan I am. You are probably the same way.

But I am choosing to stay positive here. I’m going to decide to let it go, enjoy the game with my kid, and stay positive.

So, 1 seed here we
Good call, BWO. Your relationship with your son is so much more important. I’ve made the same attitude adjustment for the sake of my daughters’ enjoyment of UK bball.

So, 1 seed here we come!
My kids have said similar things when they were little, they don’t even watch basketball though. They got over it.

I used to be fanatical. When I was a kid, I would sneak a transistor radio with ear phone to bed with me & listen. This started with Rupps Runts, then Issel & Pratt and on. The only games you got to watch were on Saturday afternoon, with Joe Dean. With Pitino's teams, I taped every winning game and kept them until just a couple of years ago. After the 2015 fiasco, I lost interest. I used to make sure that I was home to watch every game. My mom used to keep her own score card for every game, and did so up until she passed. I used to go to games @ Rupp or Cincy or Louisville, and the SEC tourney. Now I would not waste time to go if someone paid my way. I remember on game as a kid against Duke, Freddie Cowan was playing. Of course Duke won, but I was so mad that I knocked a hole in the wall with my elbow. My dad didn't say a word, He just made the repair.
Last year, I did not watch a complete game. The year of the losing record, I didn't not watch any game. The SC game, i turned the game off @ half time and watched HGTV. The passion is gone. The fun is gone. CCC has taken that from a lot of fans, including me. My wife now has to remind me of a game being on. Will probably stay that way until CCC is gone, which can't happen soon enough.
I’m surprised you take the time to comment on here then. Seems like you hate Cal more than you love Kentucky. I’ll be watching games until I die. Wildcat for life.

I was about to post this same thing 😆

I was getting real mad during the 2nd half but was internalizing it mostly, my 9 year old was losing his shit. Lil bro was scaring the whole family.
I wish my kids cared about UK man. They just have no interest in sports at all.

"care too much".

so if someone doesn't "get pissy and curse like a sailor during close important games" do they not care as much as you?
I served 22 years in the Navy, are you implying that I curse all the time or that I’m just a foul mouthed Sailor? Sailors in general?

Reactions: STL_Cat
Understandable. I'm going back to my default mode of the past 5 years and going in with the mindset we're gonna lose every game. I too was very pissed during the game and was like oh no I care too much again. My passion is gone until we get a guy who can coach, because getting upset that UK lost when the coach doesn't even take it that hard is just not worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: RunninRichie

So, 1 seed here we come!
Wonderful post, well done.

"care too much".

so if someone doesn't "get pissy and curse like a sailor during close important games" do they not care as much as you?
You know what they say about assume? Might want to revisit that one. You didn’t offend me per se. But my passion isn’t anyone else’s. And I don’t necessarily judge someone else’s fandom based on that. I do question it when some one has a bad take concerning our traditions and legacy, not saying you did.

Basketball is important to all of us here I other wise we wouldn’t be talking about it in a random Friday. But I’m sick of the “oh well. We lost by 17. It happens.” Those types of losses should make someone mad and disappointed. You lose a couple of points in a tough road game? Meh. That does happen. Especially now with CBB the way it is. All I ask is that our boys play with some pride and fight! You lose that way and well, tip you hat and shake your opponent’s hand. But to just play hero ball, not show any pride on defense, etc. That’s not UK basketball. That moment where Tre and Reeves smiled at each other and hand slapped? That’s what the fans want. That’s the type of energy and passion UK basketball is about.

No more “go home and see my dogs”. I want Cal to be pissed after a loss. He doesn’t need to protect the fan base from the cliff. We live in the cliff. We live for that fight and struggle as a collective group.

Last edited:
Reactions: STL_Cat and bnewt
I’m lucky to be a Kentucky fan. I’ve seen some great games in my lifetime and will be right there on the couch every season, win or lose.
Watching my team lose is never easy, but in no way diminishes my anticipation of the next game
This right here. I’m here for basketball and football. I want to see UK do well in all sports. We don’t have a pro team in this state. So our Cats are our passion.

It’s like the great Satchmo said about jazz. “If you have to ask what it is, you’ll never know.”

I've become quite used to disappointment under Calipari, so my emotions don't show up the way they once did.

Whenever we get to the tournament, I typically expect us to get upset the moment we face an inferior team. Cal's been remarkable at squashing my previous expectations, so on an emotional level, it kind of works out perfectly when he fails each Spring.

My guy didn't say anything about anybody else or how they care or how they show they care. He just said he cares too much. Simple acknowledgement of his own self awareness. I'm sure he doesn't care how much you care.

Sorry to speak for you @bbncal02
All good. I do care too much. That happened when you are a third or fourth generation fan. I was metaphorically baptized in the big blue waters of BBN. My grandmother and my parents were enormous Kentucky fans. They never missed catching a game, minus emergencies, until the day they left this earth. My birthday falls during basketball season. I grew up a Kentucky boy playing hoops int eh backyard imagining I was a Wildcat playing at Rupo along sides the likes of Mashburn and Ford and the first Sheppard. Heck even now when I tow a paper was in steady can and nail it’a fun to think that was a game winning shot.

My grandmother took me to the state stopping your when Rick and crew came through Hopkinsville. That was an amazing experience.

I bleed freaking blue and I do not apologize. I’m PROUD to be a third generation Wildcat fan.

• Love
Reactions: STL_Cat

So, 1 seed here we come!
Man. I’m not trying to be harsh, but…

I have attended funerals in which the deceased was most remembered for their love of some sport team. Don’t be that guy, my dude. If you’re that wrapped up in this very insignificant thing, skip the game and do something with your son that he likes doing more than watching basketball.

I watch a handful of games live and my son just watches highlights if we win. And I can tell you I’m very happy with the fact that he uses his time to actually play sports, hang with friends, play guitar, etc. rather than getting angry watching sports on tv.

I’m considering leaving this board, because the time I spend here is better spent on weightier, more meaningful things and interacting with humans I actually know.

I have attended funerals in which the deceased was most remembered for their love of some sport team. Don’t be that guy, my dude. If you’re that wrapped up in this very insignificant thing, skip the game and do something with your son that he likes doing more than watching basketball.

I watch a handful of games live and my son just watches highlights if we win. And I can tell you I’m very happy with the fact that he uses his time to actually play sports, hang with friends, play guitar, etc. rather than getting angry watching sports on tv.

I’m considering leaving this board, because the time I spend here is better spent on weightier, more meaningful things and interacting with humans I actually know.
I spend tremendous amounts of time with my boy. That’s not the issue. Just really felt bad that he doesn’t like my negativity during games. Guess I should have just saw that myself. A basketball game will always come second to my kid. 100%. I’ve missed many, many games doing things with him that he would prefer to do. Won’t be watching live Saturday as I will be at the batting cage with him all evening. That will be fun.

I served 22 years in the Navy, are you implying that I curse all the time or that I’m just a foul mouthed Sailor? Sailors in general?
lol My dad was a sailor and almost never cursed. I, on the other hand have never served but curse enough to make a sailor blush.

Blue, you and the fans in general just care more about the program and winning than the coaches and the players. There might be the odd player every so often who cares enough, but generally they just don't give a crap when it comes down to it. That's the bottom line that most fans struggle with, I think.

It's the world we live in now, for better or worse.

Understandable. I'm going back to my default mode of the past 5 years and going in with the mindset we're gonna lose every game. I too was very pissed during the game and was like oh no I care too much again. My passion is gone until we get a guy who can coach, because getting upset that UK lost when the coach doesn't even take it that hard is just not worth it.
Right there with you brother. I expect to lose every game. And yes, even against midmajors. Even those arent safe anymore.

Reactions: KentuckyMildCats
I’m surprised you take the time to comment on here then. Seems like you hate Cal more than you love Kentucky. I’ll be watching games until I die. Wildcat for life.
Don't hate ccc, Don't know him. Hate what he has done to uk fans, tradition and legacy of prior coaches that put the program 1st.

So, 1 seed here we come!
Glad to see your post BWO ! You've been an informed and valued member of RR for a lot longer than I can remember. But more importantly ... I hope you get things worked out with your son. I applaud you for reacting as you have. Your son has a good and thoughtful Dad !

Glad to see your post BWO ! You've been an informed and valued member of RR for a lot longer than I can remember. But more importantly ... I hope you get things worked out with your son. I applaud you for reacting as you have. Your son has a good and thoughtful Dad !
Thanks brother!

My kid plays every sport there is, we just spent the last 2.5 hours playing basketball and tossing the football in the cul de sac. Hes my best little buddy. Part of what we do together is watch (and get very passionate about) UK football and basketball.

My guy plays with his friends outside like we used to do in the 80s. He has so many hobbies and stuff he gets into. That doesn’t mean we don’t also bond over watching all the UK games. Just one of the many things we do together. But watching UK together is one of our favorite things to do together. And yeah, sometimes we both go a little crazy over it. Lol

I don’t think suggesting someone does less of that is necessary. It’s a father-son thing, man. True blue runs in the family.

My kid plays every sport there is, we just spent the last 2.5 hours playing basketball and tossing the football in the cul de sac. Hes my best little buddy. Part of what we do together is watch (and get very passionate about) UK football and basketball.

My guy plays with his friends outside like we used to do in the 80s. He has so many hobbies and stuff he gets into. That doesn’t mean we don’t also bond over watching all the UK games. Just one of the many things we do together. But watching UK together is one of our favorite things to do together. And yeah, sometimes we both go a little crazy over it. Lol

I don’t think suggesting someone does less of that is necessary. It’s a father-son thing, man. True blue runs in the family.
I agree with this. My dad got me into UK basketball.

Understand where you are coming from, I am quiet but intense to a fault. I prefer no interaction with people during a game. Family learned this early on. When I was a kid listening to the radio with my uncles and grandfather no one spoke during live play and said very little during time-outs. That is how I learned to follow UK basketball and that is how I do it to this day
Same here, exactly how I was raised.

I agree with this. My dad got me into UK basketball.
Same. Some of my best memories with my dad are watching UK Basketball games together. Sounds weird, but one of my all time favorite seasons was the probation year when games were tape delayed. I’d stay up late after mom, brother and sister went to sleep and watch the game with my dad. Just he and I. Good times.

I used to get mad but Cawl has ruined that UK experience of me caring so much.. Even got my first UK tattoo covered up couple years ago that i got the day after the '96 chip.. I stopped watching 5 mins into the second half the other night.. A regular occurrence anymore..

So, 1 seed here we come!
I’ve never really done anything like that. I kind of keep ”frustrations” inside. I have turned games off and checked on the score later though. If we win , I go back and watch the tape , lol .

Same. Some of my best memories with my dad are watching UK Basketball games together. Sounds weird, but one of my all time favorite seasons was the probation year when games were tape delayed. I’d stay up late after mom, brother and sister went to sleep and watch the game with my dad. Just he and I. Good times.
Right there with you brother. I would listen to Cawood on the radio in my room and shoot hoops on my nerf goal in my room, then me and dad would stay up and watch the game after the rest of the family went to bed. I’d tell him what Cawood said about the things we saw happen when we watched on tape delay.

That was honestly my most formative year as a UK fan, kind of where it all started for me.

Last edited:
Right there with you brother. I would listen to the Cawood on the radio in my room and shoot hoops on my nerf goal in my room, then me and dad would stay up and watch the game after the rest of the family went to bed. I’d tell him what Cawood said about the things we saw happen when we watched on tape delay.

That was honestly my most formative year as a UK fan, kind of where it all started for me.
Same bro. Miss that like you wouldn’t believe.

So, 1 seed here we come!
Well why not just move to fantasyland where UK goes undefeated every year. Living is the real world is not a pretty picture anymore.

Right there with you brother. I would listen to Cawood on the radio in my room and shoot hoops on my nerf goal in my room, then me and dad would stay up and watch the game after the rest of the family went to bed. I’d tell him what Cawood said about the things we saw happen when we watched on tape delay.

This. Some people will just never get it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT