ADVERTISEMENT

Where I’m At…..

BlueWorldOrder74

All-American
Oct 9, 2015
Lexington
This is not an important post, so feel free to ridicule me at your will.

I just posted in a separate thread about trying to remain positive - and I thought I’d go ahead and share to all.

During the second half of the South Carolina game, I went negative to the extreme. I was so pissed. Angry at players, angry at Cal. Angry at the entire situation. Obviously, for good reason. I yelled at my TV. I yelled at Cal. I was over the top angry - mostly because I see the talent here and know we have the ability to be a championship team. I was loud, and pissed.

Problem was, I was watching with my little boy. Now my kid, he is a Wildcat fan. But he isn’t fanatical. He just loves basketball in general. He doesn’t hang on every basket. He doesn’t write players names on his t-shirts in magic market like I did at his age. He doesn’t map out his day around game time. But he’s a fan. He doesn’t watch all games with me, instead sometimes choosing to play Fortnite instead.

As we were watching. - he stood up and said he was going upstairs. He told me I actually scared him from being so angry. He wasn’t trying to upset me, he was literally startled at my reactions. He told me he didn’t like watching games with me because I get too loud and pissed. This made me feel like shit.

Why do I do this? Because I truly love Kentucky basketball. You probably know the type of fan I am. You are probably the same way.

But I am choosing to stay positive here. I’m going to decide to let it go, enjoy the game with my kid, and stay positive.

Why am I typing this here? Because I just needed to. That’s all.

So, 1 seed here we come!

I used to be similar to this. To the point I literally could not sleep after a loss, up till 4 in the morning stewing with work looming in just a few hours. Rough on my health and mental well being.

I still get frustrated and the last game was no exception, but I've had to take a step back myself, realize that winning isn't an entitlement, focus on cheering on the players/coaches that we do have, even if I often don't agree with them. Let wins be joyful and not a relief, and losses be a bummer but not devastating.

I just posted in a separate thread about trying to remain positive - and I thought I’d go ahead and share to all.

During the second half of the South Carolina game, I went negative to the extreme. I was so pissed. Angry at players, angry at Cal. Angry at the entire situation. Obviously, for good reason. I yelled at my TV. I yelled at Cal. I was over the top angry - mostly because I see the talent here and know we have the ability to be a championship team. I was loud, and pissed.

Problem was, I was watching with my little boy. Now my kid, he is a Wildcat fan. But he isn’t fanatical. He just loves basketball in general. He doesn’t hang on every basket. He doesn’t write players names on his t-shirts in magic market like I did at his age. He doesn’t map out his day around game time. But he’s a fan. He doesn’t watch all games with me, instead sometimes choosing to play Fortnite instead.

As we were watching. - he stood up and said he was going upstairs. He told me I actually scared him from being so angry. He wasn’t trying to upset me, he was literally startled at my reactions. He told me he didn’t like watching games with me because I get too loud and pissed. This made me feel like shit.

Why do I do this? Because I truly love Kentucky basketball. You probably know the type of fan I am. You are probably the same way.

But I am choosing to stay positive here. I’m going to decide to let it go, enjoy the game with my kid, and stay positive.

So, 1 seed here we come!
You sound like a good dad. We all make mistakes and a moment like that can keep us all grounded and focused on what's truly important. All the best.

I find myself being negative during games more recently, and I'm sure my family picks up on it.

I was excited during the Kansas game, angry during the UNCW, game, still pretty agitated during the A&M game, and sadly apathetic in the 2nd half of the USCjr game.

I don't like what Cal has done to us.

Still, like you, I'm trying to do better.

I don’t get near as angry over the regular games as I used to. Now tourney games or us vs blue blood matchups? All bets are off those are highly important. I have my “damnit doll” if I feel the need to toss something to the floor. (Lost a couple of remotes that way….got tired of replacing those) and I will get pretty heated over ref screwings. But everyday games I’m pretty chill unless it was like Tuesday. That’s just not acceptable for anybody’s team (let alone ours) to play that way. I wouldn’t “accept” it out of WKU much less UK.

That being said, I try to control my anger much better these days. But I will still get pissy and curse like a sailor during close important games. Sorry, that’s not gonna change. I care too much.

I used to be fanatical. When I was a kid, I would sneak a transistor radio with ear phone to bed with me & listen. This started with Rupps Runts, then Issel & Pratt and on. The only games you got to watch were on Saturday afternoon, with Joe Dean. With Pitino's teams, I taped every winning game and kept them until just a couple of years ago. After the 2015 fiasco, I lost interest. I used to make sure that I was home to watch every game. My mom used to keep her own score card for every game, and did so up until she passed. I used to go to games @ Rupp or Cincy or Louisville, and the SEC tourney. Now I would not waste time to go if someone paid my way. I remember on game as a kid against Duke, Freddie Cowan was playing. Of course Duke won, but I was so mad that I knocked a hole in the wall with my elbow. My dad didn't say a word, He just made the repair.
Last year, I did not watch a complete game. The year of the losing record, I didn't not watch any game. The SC game, i turned the game off @ half time and watched HGTV. The passion is gone. The fun is gone. CCC has taken that from a lot of fans, including me. My wife now has to remind me of a game being on. Will probably stay that way until CCC is gone, which can't happen soon enough.

You sound like a good dad. We all make mistakes and a moment like that can keep us all grounded and focused on what's truly important. All the best.
Thank you. My kids are my life. It hit me hard when he said he didn’t like watching games with me due to my reactions. I have been like this since I was about 8. I used to watch with my dad and we would both be screaming at the top of our lungs.

My little guys just isn’t the same. So, more important to me to watch with him, even if it means staying positive and calm, even when I want to throw my chair through the front door glass (which is exactly what my dad did when Laettner hit the shot).

I used to be fanatical. When I was a kid, I would sneak a transistor radio with ear phone to bed with me & listen. This started with Rupps Runts, then Issel & Pratt and on. The only games you got to watch were on Saturday afternoon, with Joe Dean. With Pitino's teams, I taped every winning game and kept them until just a couple of years ago. After the 2015 fiasco, I lost interest. I used to make sure that I was home to watch every game. My mom used to keep her own score card for every game, and did so up until she passed. I used to go to games @ Rupp or Cincy or Louisville, and the SEC tourney. Now I would not waste time to go if someone paid my way. I remember on game as a kid against Duke, Freddie Cowan was playing. Of course Duke won, but I was so mad that I knocked a hole in the wall with my elbow. My dad didn't say a word, He just made the repair.
Last year, I did not watch a complete game. The year of the losing record, I didn't not watch any game. The SC game, i turned the game off @ half time and watched HGTV. The passion is gone. The fun is gone. CCC has taken that from a lot of fans, including me. My wife now has to remind me of a game being on. Will probably stay that way until CCC is gone, which can't happen soon enough.

That’s rough brother. But I can understand.

We've all been there. I used to be like you @BlueWorldOrder74. I stopped doing that after 2015. That game put me in a serious funk for days on end. I realized it wasn't worth it. I'll get giddy and chuckle at good play or moments but when it's all falling apart on the court I just sit there and stare at the screen. Sometimes I just turn it off. I have to stay away from message boards for a day or two and I read nothing about the game or watch sports on tv because it's gonna come up. Takes about two days then I can get back into it.

Understand where you are coming from, I am quiet but intense to a fault. I prefer no interaction with people during a game. Family learned this early on. When I was a kid listening to the radio with my uncles and grandfather no one spoke during live play and said very little during time-outs. That is how I learned to follow UK basketball and that is how I do it to this day

We've all been there. I used to be like you @BlueWorldOrder74. I stopped doing that after 2015. That game put me in a serious funk for days on end. I realized it wasn't worth it. I'll get giddy and chuckle at good play or moments but when it's all falling apart on the court I just sit there and stare at the screen. Sometimes I just turn it off. I have to stay away from message boards for a day or two and I read nothing about the game or watch sports on tv because it's gonna come up. Takes about two days then I can get back into it.
2015 Wisky snapped something inside me. It's when I realized that Cal didn't have it. I knew we would never again win a title with him in charge. So I've been fairly calm ever since.

2015 Wisky snapped something inside me. It's when I realized that Cal didn't have it. I knew we would never again win a title with him in charge. So I've been fairly calm ever since.
Oh, I understand. I don't care for Cal either. We should have at least two, maybe three more titles under him. I can't do anything about that though. It's certainly frustrating.

I will also say that although my 9 year old does act like a tiny insane person during our games, I'm sure he has picked up a lot of that behavior watching me. Think the old 80s anti drug "I learned it from watching you!" commercial.

I try to do better, but it comes with the territory of being a Kentucky basketball fan. It's just in our blood and outsiders will never understand. But we do have to be careful in front of our kids, lol

So, 1 seed here we come!
100% staying positive. Life is already a challenge and people don't realize the extent to which being overly negative can have a bad impact on many areas of your life. I watch with my three little girls, they love UK!

Welcome to team positive, be careful positivity around here gets you called a troll.......

I don’t get near as angry over the regular games as I used to. Now tourney games or us vs blue blood matchups? All bets are off those are highly important. I have my “damnit doll” if I feel the need to toss something to the floor. (Lost a couple of remotes that way….got tired of replacing those) and I will get pretty heated over ref screwings. But everyday games I’m pretty chill unless it was like Tuesday. That’s just not acceptable for anybody’s team (let alone ours) to play that way. I wouldn’t “accept” it out of WKU much less UK.

That being said, I try to control my anger much better these days. But I will still get pissy and curse like a sailor during close important games. Sorry, that’s not gonna change. I care too much.
"care too much".

so if someone doesn't "get pissy and curse like a sailor during close important games" do they not care as much as you?

I will also say that although my 9 year old does act like a tiny insane person during our games, I'm sure he has picked up a lot of that behavior watching me. Think the old 80s anti drug "I learned it from watching you!" commercial.

I try to do better, but it comes with the territory of being a Kentucky basketball fan. It's just in our blood and outsiders will never understand. But we do have to be careful in front of our kids, lol
That commerical is legendary.

• Haha
Reactions: STL_Cat
My guy didn't say anything about anybody else or how they care or how they show they care. He just said he cares too much. Simple acknowledgement of his own self awareness. I'm sure he doesn't care how much you care.

Sorry to speak for you @bbncal02
This guy is in the Erin Calipari thread doing the same thing.

My guy didn't say anything about anybody else or how they care or how they show they care. He just said he cares too much. Simple acknowledgement of his own self awareness. I'm sure he doesn't care how much you care.

Sorry to speak for you @bbncal02
Ok thanks. I appreciate that

Reactions: STL_Cat
This guy is in the Erin Calipari thread doing the same thing.
No, totally different thing. @STL_Cat gave a reasonable response that made sense, and it clarified it more to me. I appreciate it. Sorry if I offended @bbncal02

You on the other hand don't seem capable of a reasonable response and multiple people on that thread have called you out as having framed it negatively. so....

I use to be the same way about getting mad. Now I just don’t expect to win any game with Cal coaching. Yes, I do want to win but just don’t expect it for the most part.
I still expect to win in spite of Cal, yes I know that isn't going to happen ,but when the Cats take the floor part of me believes we have a chance to win. The UK magic in my being is just to hard too kill. Cal won't be able to do that no matter what he does. He is not bigger than that jersey with KENTUCKY on the front. He never will be.

Last edited:
No, totally different thing. @STL_Cat gave a reasonable response that made sense, and it clarified it more to me. I appreciate it. Sorry if I offended @bbncal02

You on the other hand don't seem capable of a reasonable response and multiple people on that thread have called you out as having framed it negatively. so....
Multiple people being Sejonesy and you. I don't care how you took my thread title stop quoting me.

Pat McAfee from the Pat McAfee shot (ESPN Sports talk / ex-NFL kicker) was talking about the competitive spirit as related to the Harbaugh family tree, today, and compared to other competitive athletes who just want to win.. AT EVERYTHING, no matter what they do...

I understand this feeling, and have been trying to "back off" a bit over the years...

Am not so sure our current coach has this "juice" for details... otherwise we would have figured out how to guard an in-bounds play years ago. Or had teams that practiced free-throws.... Or would have a drive to win every game no matter the cost... and could give two "s h _ t s" about the NBA draft... or at least have the awareness to not verbalize it...

etc.

Go CATS!

o_O

It's o.k. been following UK Since '75 and my temper was so bad, I used to break things, throw things and say things that I regretted later...At 61, I care but other things in my life are much more important..Yeah I was pissed after the game but I've been pissed at Cal for a while now lol so I guess I'm just used to it which is a sad state of affairs for UK basketball.

Last edited:
I’m lucky to be a Kentucky fan. I’ve seen some great games in my lifetime and will be right there on the couch every season, win or lose.
Watching my team lose is never easy, but in no way diminishes my anticipation of the next game
Mostly true, but there have been a couple seasons in recent years where I was definitely not as excited on gameday as others.

It's funny...my anger stems from how good the team should be. Like the BJ Boston team barely got a rise out of me once we started dropping games left and right. You just knew they weren't going to win anything...no need to be angry. Just to tell on myself, I broke my reading glasses Tuesday evening about 10-11 minutes left in the 2nd half, and ultimately switched the game over to another program at 6-6 1/2 minutes left. At that point the Cocks went up 16-18 points and I knew this game was out of reach. So I opted to do the "adult" thing and watch Family Guy...

I’ve gotten used to us losing under Cal. You can tell pretty early into the game if we’re going to lose because if the other team is doing anything that gives them an advantage he doesn’t adjust.
So my wife and I spend the majority of the game laughing and talking about how terrible of a coach he is.
When a team scores on you with the same in bounds play 3 straight times, what can you do at that point but laugh?

Thank you. My kids are my life. It hit me hard when he said he didn’t like watching games with me due to my reactions. I have been like this since I was about 8. I used to watch with my dad and we would both be screaming at the top of our lungs.

My little guys just isn’t the same. So, more important to me to watch with him, even if it means staying positive and calm, even when I want to throw my chair through the front door glass (which is exactly what my dad did when Laettner hit the shot).
I completely understand. I can get like that also. I think it has to do with being "competitive by nature" ... it's easy to get wrapped up in the moment and "act out" your emotion. Whether its winning or losing ... there can always be a few drywall repairs required. LOL.

I fell asleep during halftime lol

But in all seriousness, just try to enjoy the game and teach your son about the history of UK basketball. Yeah it sucks to lose but the next day, we put on our pants on regardless so just treat it like such. Hope for the best but if not, so be it. It’s just entertainment

So, 1 seed here we come!
Don't feel bad man. I'm the same way. I go down to my basement and shut the door and yell and scream and say things I should never say. I like to think it's because I care so much but I know that doesn't make it right. What I've learned to do is just turn the game off and walk away when I get too angry. Then I just follow the score online. It's so much more calming just following a score online as opposed to watching everything live on TV.

For pretty much all of last year's road games, I just followed the score online and if we were in a good position late in the 2nd half, I'd go watch the end live. I hate road games with a passion. LOL It looks like I'm now just going to have to start using this approach for this year as well. Home games are usually at least tolerable watching live.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT