1984 Georgetown
1983 Louisville

I guess my top 5 are:
5.1984 G-town
4. 1975 UCLA
3. 1970 Jacksonville
2. 2015 Wisconsin
1. 1966 Texas western

#3 and #2 are a toss-up for me, 2015 we were on the verge of history and 1970 the Issel, Pratt and Casey team was one for the ages, especially with Cawood calling the games.

1966, the Runts, we will never see their like again. It is so sad that the media created racial issue cast a shadow on that team.

The years of Claude Sullivan and Cawood Ledford were so special to me. There will come a time that no one will be around who heard those 2 do UK games. Some of history will be lost when that happens. I wish I could put into words what they meant to countless kids across Kentucky on cold winter nights. It will have to suffice that I understand it now better than I did then. What a privilege it was
I am with u on that. Both were icons. I just got out my album, Great Moments in Ky Basketball and am going to listen tonight.

There several that hurt almost equally bad, usually because we were clearly the best team left when we got upset. Championships you should have won but did not are a bad thing to think about. The one that hurt the most at the buzzer was when he who shall not be named hit the shot none of us should talk about.

1. 2015 Wisconsin- ive never cared as much since after this loss
2. 2014 UConn- roommate was a UCONN fan, pure hell
3. 2004 UAB- my sister worked at a movie rental place and I watched it there, 13 years old, I was devastated
That loss changed a lot of people. UKFaninNC (who is no longer with us) was the first person I know about to say that it changed his outlook

'92 to Duke. Pelphrey, Feldhaus, Farmer and Woods not getting to go to the FF was devastating. They probably don't win the title but that group getting to the FF would have been so fitting.

1992. There's maybe 10-12 of us in a small house in Shively I believe. We skipped the evening session of the KY State Boys Tourney. You could hear a pin drop after the shot.

All losses suck. But I'm not shattered by any of them. It's a game it's entertainment. You get shattered by family or friend having medical issues or if they die.
I haven't been shattered by my sports teams losing since I was like 12 years old.
This sentiment is posted here a lot.
My UK fandom is part of my culture, passed down from my Grandfather. I grew up in Western Kentucky and basketball is very important to those from there. I can relive memories through the years that coincide with UK basketball wins and losses. It’s God, family, Kentucky basketball. It is that important and certain losses leave impressions that last a lifetime.

1966 to Texas Western, though I think the 1975 UCLA loss would have been a greater benefit. We would have 9 titles to their 10. Wooden would have retired a loser and Joe B. would have had 2 titles and be in the Naismith HOF.
Those two, plus the loss to Wisconsin to break our 40-0 possibility. The 66 loss to Texas Western was my worst, as I really loved the Runts!!!

Marquette 2003, Duke 92, Wisconsin 2015. Not necessarily in that order.
The Marquette one was a bummer. We had a 26 game win streak i believe. Once Bogans was on one leg, that’s all Marquette needed. In hindsight, we may have had a better chance not playing Bogans that night. It was basically 5 on 4 the whole game. I think Bogans still found 12 or 14 points, but was a liability on the defensive end and that’s all D Wade and Novak (I believe that was their guard then) needed

For me it was the 2015 Final 4 game, I remember it like it was yesterday. That team was special, when they lost I was never the same after that. It broke me into a million pieces..
Texas Western beat the Cats. I moped around for two weeks. Too old now to let things like that bother me.

2005 Michigan State in Elite 8- would’ve gave Tubby Smith another Final 4. Call in show after was abysmal.

Gardner Webb - All hope in Gillispie era shattered

2021 St. Peter’s was the worst loss I can remember.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Can't really think of one because, oh, I don't know, it's a game. Anyone who is "shattered" after a basketball game needs a life.

I guess my top 5 are:
5.1984 G-town
4. 1975 UCLA
3. 1970 Jacksonville
2. 2015 Wisconsin
1. 1966 Texas western

#3 and #2 are a toss-up for me, 2015 we were on the verge of history and 1970 the Issel, Pratt and Casey team was one for the ages, especially with Cawood calling the games.

1966, the Runts, we will never see their like again. It is so sad that the media created racial issue cast a shadow on that team.

The years of Claude Sullivan and Cawood Ledford were so special to me. There will come a time that no one will be around who heard those 2 do UK games. Some of history will be lost when that happens. I wish I could put into words what they meant to countless kids across Kentucky on cold winter nights. It will have to suffice that I understand it now better than I did then. What a privilege it was
Same here Doc. Growing up in the 40s & 50s and listening to those two is something I always look back on with great fondness.
As the song goes, "those were the days my friend".

Reactions: docholiday51
1992 to Duke because I was young. Now that I am older, I take it in stride.

That said, our losses to Arizona in 1997, UAB in 2004, WVU in 2010, Wisconsin in 2015, and Kansas St. in 2018 were very disappointing.

It's like many have said, it was 2015. I still haven't gotten over it. All the big losses all the way back to the 1986 loss to LSU didn't hit me like that one. I even took the 97 loss to cheating Arizona in stride, but the way that 2015 game went down killed off some part of my innocence where sports are concerned.

2017 was the coup de grace. I am just jaded now. :(

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
As a younger UK fan, hands down 38-1 team loss to Wisconsin in the Final Four.

Just start playing that song "Bittersweet Symphony" by The Verve.

You can't go back and think about that game really. It was odd. It was a blunder.

We just stopped playing like an NBA caliber team.

The 1983 Dream Game I

This game had so much hype and it was in the NCAAT, so even more riding on it.

As a Gen Xer, it's the one that hurt the most in my lifetime.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT