ADVERTISEMENT

what is the plan for King?

buckkiller

All-American
Nov 6, 2003
I am excited to see him play but will they redshirt him? He looks like a kid that could play the first snap of season and his explosiveness is off the charts. Him and Boom in lineup together on certain plays could reek havoc and give D coordinator's a major migranes. If he does not redshirt do y'all think he will see significant snaps this seadon? Curious to hear some opinions on him.

Think Tavon Austin and I think that's the role Dawson sold him on playing. Dawson will motion him all over the field lining him up mostly in the slot or the backfield. I think he'll get touches this year but I really doubt that he'll get a heavy workload with our three headed monster in the backfield. I expect Timmons to finally live up to his billing this year and TV looked awesome in the spring so touches may be hard to come by in the slot. I'm really excited to see what kind of impact he has in fall camp and what the coaches say about him

With only 3 scholarship backs I think they have to play him. You could argue that they will try to hold him out at the first of the season until injuries force the issue but I don't see it. The type of backs we have need to rotate 3 deep and you know we aren't going to go the entire season without at least one missing some time due to injuries so we'll need him sooner or later, might as well start working him in from the getgo.

I cannot see how this Kid was not a 5*. I don't know what I am missing. Plus I noticed he runs the ball up middle as well pretty unusual for a kid of his stature. Wonder if it would be best for him to redshirt since all the talent we have in backfield and slot? The Kid is a big play waiting to happen. He is the new incomer on the offensive side of the ball I am looking forward to the most counting any redshirts this year.

Heard he catches the ball very good. We need him. Last year in the SEC proved you must at least have three RB's to get through a season.

I cannot see how this Kid was not a 5*. I don't know what I am missing. Plus I noticed he runs the ball up middle as well pretty unusual for a kid of his stature. Wonder if it would be best for him to redshirt since all the talent we have in backfield and slot? The Kid is a big play waiting to happen. He is the new incomer on the offensive side of the ball I am looking forward to the most counting any redshirts this year.

I'm not sure why some of you keep commenting how "deep" we are at RB. We are not that deep for a SEC schedule. Stoops has already said we aren't that deep at RB.

Yeah the big play ability we are going to have this coming year is potentially they're the best Big play type team ever at Kentucky.
BOOM
KING
TIMMONS
BADET
TV
SNODGRASS
CONRAD
JOHNSON
KEMP
All them dudes mentioned are big time playmakers. I feel I have missed a few as well. Liking our depth on offense and It is becoming SEC caliber depth at that.

I'm not sure why some of you keep commenting how "deep" we are at RB. We are not that deep for a SEC schedule. Stoops has already said we aren't that deep at RB.

Thats why I asked wasn't sure and good cause I want to see King get some touchs this coming year. I am hoping to make it to UF game.

Yes King will play early and often if healthy. Dawson will cross train him for the slot (we have 3 slot receivers in some formations) and maybe a hand off or two on the jet sweep. He will get some touches at RB too but I would think those would be limited.

Reactions: brianpoe
Our 4th RB last year was Horton and he got 59 attempts over a 12 game season. That's an average of almost 5 touches a game. That's with Jojo disappearing altogether after the USC game, Heard battling a high ankle sprain for most of the season, and Boom out one game with a concussion. Towles did have a ton of carries with 145 so those will be distributed to some degree. I still expect Towles to get around 60 carries this year and I think we'll throw the ball more so I don't know how much of a bump to expect in workload for our 4th RB but I think the worry over depth there is exaggerated some. I think the bulk of Towles' carries that go to RBs this year will be going to Boom and Horton who should've seen more work last year

He'll get an opportunity to return kicks I'd assume. Got to think they don't want boom doing that this year and save him for offense.

Everybody keeps talking about UKs lack of depth at RB. I think an option that some are missing is Timmons. He was a great high school RB and could play RB at UK if it become necessary. I actually think RB might be his best position. He definitely could be used as a third down back.

Everybody keeps talking about UKs lack of depth at RB. I think an option that some are missing is Timmons. He was a great high school RB and could play RB at UK if it become necessary. I actually think RB might be his best position. He definitely could be used as a third down back.

Timmons has NEVER played rb. NEVER. The Rb position has multiple blocking assignments. You can't just suddenly throw somebody back there as you're suggesting. They would need many practice reps at that spot throughout the Fall camp at a minimum.

Dawson was interviewed by kstv 2 weeks ago where he said his offense requires at least 4, but preferably 5 scholarship running backs. He does a lot of rotating and he also understands that injuries at the rb spot in the SEC are as inevitable as the sun coming up each morning.

I think people are hitting it right on the head with this kid. He is going to play. And all over the field. I look for him to be a player in the return game. He will get about 50 to 60 carries this season. And will line up/motion out to the slot. I look for around 10 catches for him either out of the backfield or from the slot.

Buckkiller mentioned all the playmakers we will have. It is an impressive list. Any of the RBs and WRs can return kicks and line up all over the place. Pick your poison.

Walk-on William Mahone will get carries before Timmons. Timmons would be an emergency option only and even doubtful then.

Get him in space, let him make the first guy miss and let him outrun everybody is pretty much what Dawson said about King.

The guy that wins punt return position = the guy who can catch the ball 99.0% of the time ... Can't make that mistake but rarely.
And lord knows I don't know who that is....

I would be surprised if they use any of our running backs in the return game this year as we really can't afford injuries there. Recall Williams lost time last year due to a concussion sustain on a KO return. As most people know the KO return is by far the most dangerous play in football and where a lot of injuries occur.

I would be surprised if they use any of our running backs in the return game this year as we really can't afford injuries there. Recall Williams lost time last year due to a concussion sustain on a KO return. As most people know the KO return is by far the most dangerous play in football and where a lot of injuries occur.

I am the exact opposite. I would be surprised if we did not use any of our running backs in the return game. Special teams is just as important as offense and defense. If it turns out that our RBs or starting WRs are the best at returning kicks, then I want them back there.

My guess is you will see Boom, King, Kemp, Timmons, Johnson, and Williams all in the return game during the season.

Timmons has NEVER played rb. NEVER. The Rb position has multiple blocking assignments. You can't just suddenly throw somebody back there as you're suggesting. They would need many practice reps at that spot throughout the Fall camp at a minimum.

Timmons has played RB. He played RB in high school and he has also lined up as a RB at UK. I do not think UK would move a starting WR except in a emergency but I think Timmons has the skill set to play RB if he was asked to do so. There is little difference in playing slot receiver and third down RB. Most times a third down RB is just another receiver and Timmons IMO has the running skills to run the ball if asked to do so. Putting two burners like King and Timmons in the game could cause some problems for defenses since Dawson likes to go deep. I also like that both have running skills and can get YAC after catching the ball.

I actually saw Timmons make some decent blocks last year from his WR position.

I watched every play of every game last year so don't try to BS me.

Why would you not use your best guy to return kicks? UGA used Gurley to return kicks last season until he was suspended and then hurt his knee on a running play. He didn't get many chances but returned 2 for over 100 yards on not more than 7-8 attempts because no one would kick it to him. You have to get the ball in your best players hands, even at 235 Gurley was our best kick returner.

Why would you not use your best guy to return kicks? UGA used Gurley to return kicks last season until he was suspended and then hurt his knee on a running play. He didn't get many chances but returned 2 for over 100 yards on not more than 7-8 attempts because no one would kick it to him. You have to get the ball in your best players hands, even at 235 Gurley was our best kick returner.

GRUMPY have you watched King play and what do they think about his talents in the state of Georgia? Are any UGA fans upset they didn't get him? I am just curious what the vibe is,about him cause I am really excited about him being a Cat.

Last edited:
Hey MODS question why is the Cats Illustrated Football Roster not have King on it?

I expect Timmons and TV Williams to be our two main return guys. Stoops said on the radio not too long ago that they wanted to get Timmons returning punts last year. I assume his injury derailed that plan. He also mentioned trying to work TV into the return game because of his speed and agility

I expect Timmons and TV Williams to be our two main return guys. Stoops said on the radio not too long ago that they wanted to get Timmons returning punts last year. I assume his injury derailed that plan. He also mentioned trying to work TV into the return game because of his speed and agility

They've looked at Timmons as a punt returner for 2 years. Unfortunately, he's had trouble picking up the ball in big stadiums. Maybe he'll eventually figure it out. Look for Johnson as a kick returner too.

Next yr King will return kicks and may get a carry or two in a few games. As we continue to recruit RBs I can envision slipping into a Timmons kind of role.

^I think he will get more than a carry or two per game. I look for him to get the number of carries Horton got last year. And be in the rotation as kick returner.

Reactions: midniter
GRUMPY have you watched King play and what do they think about his talents in the state of Georgia? Are any UGA fans upset they didn't get him? I am just curious what the vibe is,about him cause I am really excited about him being a Cat.

. Not many high level college prospects from my neck of the woods. The only ones I can remember recently are Da'rick Rogers who went to UT, Vonn Bell who went to tOSU and Chubb at UGA, several others have signed with P5 schools but didn't do much.

King is from southern part of state and I am extreme northern part, so only time I saw him play was in state championship game He had an ok game, bout 120 yards or something in that range, he was held in check for a good portion of the game, but had some nice runs late to seal the win for his team. But something you have to also take into account is the team he was playing against isn't a typical HS team, it was loaded with college prospects because for some reason their school district is the entire city of Atlanta so any kid can go there who lives in the city limits and be in district. He runs hard, has good balance, good vision. I didn't see the speed many here think he is bringing in, I didn't see him at state track me so I don't know how fast he really is. Of course at state track meet everyone looked slow except the kid who ran a 10.2 that doesn't play football is going to UF for track. His build last Dec. looked more alone the lines of a WR or CB than an SEC back but Boom looked pretty slender in HS too, couldn't believe how thick he got, looked like he had gained 40 lbs. But he had a huge year in the state's largest classification and led his team to a state championship so he is a player.

I don't know of any UGA fans who were upset we didn't offer because RB wasn't a big need in our 15 class with Marshall hopefully coming back from injury, Michel and Chubb being soph's alone with a kid who had a couple starts in 13 and another RS back. You can only tie up so many scholarships at one position and we have 5. Richt likes bigger type backs and those tend to be more successful in our offense. The best ones under Richt have all been 210-215+ type guys, Chubb says he weights 228, Gurley wouldn't ever say, even defensive about it at times but he was big.

Reactions: buckkiller
I'm not seeing the blazing speed from King on tape that has been mentioned either. I think he has good feet, but I don't think he is near as fast as Boom in the open field. I think he will play and play a lot this year. It will be interesting to see how fast he is.

ADVERTISEMENT