ADVERTISEMENT

What function does NCAA serve?

TNCatfanforever

All-American
Apr 3, 2003
Mount Juliet Tn
They no longer can control transfers. They no longer can control schools buying players because of NIL and UT lawsuit. College athletics is for all practical purposes dead. Schools like UK are nothing more than a G league. Honestly it has taken away loyalty of players to fans and fans to players.

Is there a solution? Maybe
1. Restructuring the entire organization.
2. Return to the sit out a year after transfer (schools spend 1000’s to recruit a kid for one year)
3. NIL money should be capped at 100,000 a year for any athlete. They are getting a free education.
4. Allow players to go directly to league regardless of age. Once they enroll in college they cannot be drafted for 3 years.

Is this feasible?

I like NIL and the transfer portal separately. But combined they seem to have created a problem. Now guys can treat the transfer portal like free agency to get better deals which seems great on the surface but if every single player does it then it just feels like a little much.

Reactions: KYExtemper
They no longer can control transfers. They no longer can control schools buying players because of NIL and UT lawsuit. College athletics is for all practical purposes dead. Schools like UK are nothing more than a G league. Honestly it has taken away loyalty of players to fans and fans to players.

2. Return to the sit out a year after transfer (schools spend 1000’s to recruit a kid for one year)
3. NIL money should be capped at 100,000 a year for any athlete. They are getting a free education.
4. Allow players to go directly to league regardless of age. Once they enroll in college they cannot be drafted for 3 years.

Is this feasible?
I *completely* agree with this. Very well said.

Reactions: ArcticChar

Is this feasible?
The NBA thing is contractual .
The bargaining committee would have to change that.

Players sign 4 year contracts with buyouts. If they transfer or enter the draft early the school has to be compensated the buyout amount.

Reactions: AzubuikeandFitch
I suspect the NCAA would love for this to be the rule, but they have no power to make it happen.

Only the NBA can pass such rules, and it shows no such inclination.

david rose GIF by Schitt's Creek

I would say the NCAA still serves a purpose with everything outside of DI men's basketball and FBS Power 4 football, which combined, comprise about 4% of all college athletes. Let those two do their own thing, and then the other 96% can still fall under the NCAA.

Honestly, what this is setting up for is the unionization of players because stuff like transfer rules, NIL, etc. will all have to be collectively bargained. Without that, you are not going to get any court at this point to rule in the NCAA's favor on anything. And when that happens, especially if we get to the point that players are outright paid, I think you will see only a few handful of teams remain in Division 1.

Right now college athletics has unlimited free agency and no salary cap. That is not a long-term workable solution because you are going to burn out coaches at a rapid rate and I don't see how you sustain fan interest either.

Reactions: CondorCat
Put a cap on the NIL ( 100,000 is to high IMO ) they are getting a free education and do not have to play for meal or lodging.

A rule should be passed they can only transfer one time.

CBB is completely out of hand right now.

Reactions: AzubuikeandFitch
Put a cap on the NIL ( 100,000 is to high IMO ) they are getting a free education and do not have to play for meal or lodging.

A rule should be passed they can only transfer one time.

CBB is completely out of hand right now.
Legally you can't do any of this. That's why we are where we are right now. The courts have ruled the NCAA cannot restrict player movement or restrict a player's ability to earn money from their name, image, and likeness.

And I just have to ask, if you were the main reason your employer was earning billions of dollars would you be happy with some chump change and a scholarship?

Honestly, what this is setting up for is the unionization of players because stuff like transfer rules, NIL, etc. will all have to be collectively bargained. Without that, you are not going to get any court at this point to rule in the NCAA's favor on anything.
This is the only way to control it. The courts have said the NCAA cannot put restrictions in place, so any guardrails will need to be agreed to by the players. And the only way to really do that is form a union and have those restrictions collectively bargained.

Everyone laughed at Dartmouth when their players voted on the union thing, but they were probably ahead of the curve here.

If unions are voted in by CBB as a whole then CBB is done. Players will be able to vote a strike and goodby CBB.

Legally you can't do any of this. That's why we are where we are right now. The courts have ruled the NCAA cannot restrict player movement or restrict a player's ability to earn money from their name, image, and likeness.

And I just have to ask, if you were the main reason your employer was earning billions of dollars would you be happy with some chump change and a scholarship?
Many people don't see 100,000 as chump change when you get housing and meals free.

Is this feasible?
They serve as the perfect scapegoat for the University President’s, Chancellor’s, conference commissioners, and Athletic Directors. These people are “The NCAA”. These people make the rules, these people never get held accountable for their decisions though.

When UNC had 20 years of fake classes and multiple other violations, they were let off the hook by SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey. Was Sankey criticized for this? Nope, “The NCAA” was.

There are two ways the NCAA can control the wild transfers and Nil $

1. A exemption to the Anti Trust legislation, allowing them to act like the pro leagues. Which they have lobbied congress for.

Or

2. Allow the schools to pay the players. A player and the school sign a contract including amount they will be paid, term of the contact, buyout etc.

If unions are voted in by CBB as a whole then CBB is done. Players will be able to vote a strike and goodby CBB.
A strike would be sort of fascinating because how much leverage do the players have? It's not like universities exist solely for athletics. They could just shrug and rescind the players' scholarships, housing, meal allowance, etc. and that would be that.

Honestly, what this is setting up for is the unionization of players because stuff like transfer rules, NIL, etc. will all have to be collectively bargained. Without that, you are not going to get any court at this point to rule in the NCAA's favor on anything. And when that happens, especially if we get to the point that players are outright paid, I think you will see only a few handful of teams remain in Division 1.

Right now college athletics has unlimited free agency and no salary cap. That is not a long-term workable solution because you are going to burn out coaches at a rapid rate and I don't see how you sustain fan interest either.
If I understand it correctly, these athletes becoming employees (which universities are against) would go a long way toward solving some of these issues imo.

These athletes could then be put on salary via contracts that lock them in to a school for a number of years; maybe provide bonus/incentives in the contracts as well. It could also allow for a salary cap to be negotiated amongst all parties.

The funds to pay for these salaries could come directly from TV revenue, which puts less stress on donors/boosters/fans to pony up a shit ton of $$ every year. (I.e. - instead of being the only source of money for athletes, they can help supplement the university salary).

Reactions: KYExtemper

Is this feasible?

I agree with that. If you want to go pro after high school, go. You're an adult. I would add a rule where you had to play for two years before you could go pro.

Reactions: FirewithFire
I agree with that. If you want to go pro after high school, go. You're an adult. I would add a rule where you had to play for two years before you could go pro.
I wish. That alone would go a long way toward saving college basketball. Unfortunately the NBA doesn't want to babysit so they send them to college.

At this point they only exist to make money for the bureaucrats and gamblers.

I figure the NCAA's time is about over anyway. Football is so big now that there are whispers of forming their own league and cutting out the NCAA. Once that happens it's game over.

I wish. That alone would go a long way toward saving college basketball. Unfortunately the NBA doesn't want to babysit so they send them to college.

I figure the NCAA's time is about over anyway. Football is so big now that there are whispers of forming their own league and cutting out the NCAA. Once that happens it's game over.
Yeah, they’re gonna cut out themselves.

Yeah, I think they're about to become completely irrelevant real soon. Not a big fan of the ncaa anyway.

Reactions: FirewithFire
I doubt many of them are getting a real education. And, I am not sure you would be able to cut their NIL considering some are apparently bringing in a million (Bacot) or even more (Bronny James). You are talking about a MAJOR pay cut.

In the NCAA enforcement committee led by the SEC commissioner, let the biggest cheaters of all time, North Carolina at Chapel Hill, walk from the biggest, academic abuse and supportive, cheating scam, that was the end of the NCAA. They should have been so hammered that they wouldn’t have been even in the picture for a decade or more. As a result of them walking away, Scott free, they’re right in the hunt no issues. You will know that nothing has changed when Davis either steps down or gets fired from being the coach and they replace him with another former player. It’s the Carolina Way lead by the legacy of Dean Smith, the greatest cheater and fraud of all time of college basketball and somebody that the media and other coaches treated with kid gloves. NCAA was declared dead on the day the SEC commissioner, let them walk.

• Love
Reactions: saxonburgcat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT