ADVERTISEMENT

NEW Coach. Must Still Recruit 5 Stars

MrHotDice

All-American
Nov 1, 2002
Nil or no Nil, the ages will drop and without COVID giving players 6-7-8 years to play will go away. 25-27 year old basketball players will go away and recruiting high school players will return. Already their is talk of trying to stop the nonsense of a player playing at 4-5 different schools for any reason. Kids going to the highest bidder will go away IMHO.

New age team building is to hit a couple big recruits, a few multi-year recruits, and fill out the rest with proven guys in the portal.

Nil or no Nil, the ages will drop and without COVID giving players 6-7-8 years to play will go away. 25-27 year old basketball players will go away and recruiting high school players will return. Already their is talk of trying to stop the nonsense of a player playing at 4-5 different schools for any reason. Kids going to the highest bidder will go away IMHO.
Not a 5* played for UConn or Purdue last night. Not saying not to get them...I'm just saying.

You still go after the best dudes. This is Kentucky.

Now if those dudes happen to be 5-Stars, well, that's an added bonus.

Another example of our catch 22 fan base. Hate the one and done but keep recruiting one and doners. Which way do you want it? Where’s the happy medium?

Reactions: catzcan and Canucky
Another example of our catch 22 fan base. Hate the one and done but keep recruiting one and doners. Which way do you want it? Where’s the happy medium?
There's a middle ground. Recruit 2-3 one and dones. Get experience from the portal and NIL.

The next coach has to understand there's more to a player than the number of star attached to his name.

When Edwards, Wagner, and Bradshaw are 5-star recruits and then do nothing their first year in college, that should be enough to tell you that the number of stars isn't everything.

There's not a star rating for basketball IQ and heart.

Does that mean that you never recruit 5 star players? No. But having a team chock full with 7 or 8 five-star recruits doesn't equal winning.

Reactions: G-PIP
The next coach has to understand there's more to a player than the number of star attached to his name.

When Edwards, Wagner, and Bradshaw are 5-star recruits and then do nothing their first year in college, that should be enough to tell you that the number of stars isn't everything.

There's not a star rating for basketball IQ and heart.

Does that mean that you never recruit 5 star players? No. But having a team chock full with 7 or 8 five-star recruits doesn't equal winning.
Have to question at this point how those guys might have performed under a different coach? We’ve seen some thrive with better coaching and some not thrive as much after a change of scenery.

Until portal rules change, unless a Freshman agrees to stay 2 years then basically go portal with 4 star players on roster to develop.

How many 5 stars started the championship game?
So, out of the 2023 recruiting class, Hurley recruited 5 freshmen - four 4-stars and one 5-star (Castle – listed as a 6’6” PG by recruiting services). So did Castle start at PG? No, and not only that but Hurley played him at SF; and he was a role player and the 5th scoring option most of the time. Even at that, there were likely a number of additional transfers UConn could have brought in that may have been a better 5th option. The top two scoring options for UConn were senior transfers. The other four freshmen didn’t play much. But I expect they will next season. UConn only has 2 freshmen coming in (neither of which is an OAD freshman expecting to go pro after one year). They will bring in another 2-4 transfers and be battling again next season.

I think talent is more important than experience. Look at AD, Reed and Dilly. It’s who and how you recruit. If you say you are a one and done player and I’ll get you ready for the NBA. That became Cals downfall. If he had said I’ll get you ready for the NBA no matter if it takes 4-5 years he would still have a job at UK but that was not his Model.

We need to recruit the best basketball players and not the best athletes. I don't care what their star rank is as long as they are players.

Reactions: Wally2000
Do all 5 star recruits leave for draft regardless if they get drafted or not like Cal recruits?
I don't know the answer just seems like other schools had a soph sometimes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT