ADVERTISEMENT

uniformed loons will now stick your children with needles

Jamo, I'm sure you're right, but do you honestly believe we're at some sort of tipping point where measles is about to spread like wildfire?

Then what is the point? Forcing people to do something against their will? Is there a looming threat of a measles? We can't save everyone, all the time.

Then what is the point? Forcing people to do something against their will? Is there a looming threat of a measles? We can't save everyone, all the time.

curbing the reckless endangerment infants, chemo patients, the immunocompromised, and the MILLIONS of people taking immunomodulating drugs for everything from rheumatoid arthritis to IBD is the point. we're not worried about the Black Death.

huge swaths of modern medicine are predicated on having a society with clean water, sanitation, and minimal circulation of preventable infections within which patients can be treated.

it's not wise to hammer a patient with chemo if they have a significant risk of being exposed to virulent bugs like measles. that's actually the point of the flu shot campaigns: I don't really give a touch whether Bill Derrington gets the flu (his body can handle it); I do care whether he exposes a vulnerable patient to it.

That sounds good, and understandable, but what part of that do we not have already? I understand where you're coming from, I do. I just don't like the idea of forcing people to do something, when it's not an issue in the first place.

We're disagreeing about a c*nt hairs difference overall.

We're disagreeing about a c*nt hairs difference overall.

no we're not. I already pointed out that even the best vaccines are only 80% effective.

furthermore, i think that "c*** hair" would matter more to you if one of your loved ones were the one at risk.

I watched a 20-something expectant mother turn into a vegetable flu season before last. Would that "c*** hair" have made a difference to you if it were your daughter having her lungs chewed up by an infection that could've been prevented through common sense?

I'm sorry she got that way, I truly am. People are going to die, no matter how insensitive that sounds it's just a fact. We've eliminated 99% of measles in this country without mandating or making it a law.
People are always gonna get sick, no matter how smart we get, or healthy we are or what we do, people will get sick.

As I stated earlier, I'm not against vaccination, I don't know why anyone wouldn't get their children vaccinated. But people do alot of things I don't understand, but the only we can control is what we do. Thats it.

Bill Derington: "There wasn't any higher number of people get measles this year than any other year"

*link showing record number of cases this year*

Bill Derington: "Well that's cause it was in Disneyland!"

*link showing that it was not, in fact, isolated to Disneyland*

Bill Derington: "Well 668 in a land of millions is barely any"

:confused: Its like talking to a brick wall.

These smilies are awful BTW.

It's worse than talking to a brick wall. Brick walls don't come back with awful attempts at debate.

I'm sorry she got that way, I truly am. People are going to die, no matter how insensitive that sounds it's just a fact. We've eliminated 99% of measles in this country without mandating or making it a law.
People are always gonna get sick, no matter how smart we get, or healthy we are or what we do, people will get sick.

As I stated earlier, I'm not against vaccination, I don't know why anyone wouldn't get their children vaccinated. But people do alot of things I don't understand, but the only we can control is what we do. Thats it.

I know multiple people on immunusuppressants, including immediate family members. I shouldn't speak for them, but I'm pretty sure they all think you're an imbecile.

The fact remains that measles is 99% gone in this country. Without forcing people do something that for whatever reason they choose not too. Because there's already a 95% rate or better of vaccinating.
What would your idea be? Make it law that everyone Must get shots? How would you go about enforcing it? What would the penalties be?
I don't think you understand the slippery slope that would be, which is exactly why with the level of participation we have we're just killing valuable time with this argument. But by all means let's use this fodder and fluff to block out real issues we have.
Let's bring abortion next, but it's not quite close enough to the election for that yet.

Looks like the American Medical Association doesn't think religious exemptions are a good idea, either. From this week's annual AMA meeting:

“When people are immunized they also help prevent the spread of disease to others," AMA Board of Trustees Member Patrice A. Harris, MD, said in a news release. “As evident from the recent measles outbreak at Disneyland, protecting community health in today’s mobile society requires that policymakers not permit individuals from opting out of immunization solely as a matter of personal preference or convenience.”

Policies adopted at the meeting call for immunization of the population—absent a medical reason for not being vaccinated—because disease exposure, importation, infections and outbreaks can occur without warning in communities, particularly those that do not have high rates of immunization...

Other policies include:

• Supporting the development and evaluation of educational efforts, based on scientific evidence and in collaboration with health care providers, that support parents who want to help educate and encourage their peers who are reluctant to vaccinate their children
  • Disseminating materials about the effectiveness of vaccines to states
  • Encouraging states to eliminate philosophical and religious exemptions from state immunization requirements
  • Recommending that states have an established decision mechanism that involves qualified public health physicians to determine which vaccines will be mandatory for admission to school and other identified public venues

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT