ADVERTISEMENT

uniformed loons will now stick your children with needles

Ah, looky here now!

Sufferin' succotash. Ain't no federalie gon' poke my chill'n with no needle! I bet you city boys don't know fat back from corn pone! Or how's to plant by the wooly worm, or talk to deer.

Lawd chile!

Well seeing how there was a measles outbreak like 2 months ago its pretty obvious why they are mandating these things now, pretty stupid question.

There wasn't any higher number of people get measles this year than any other year. It just happened to be centered at Disneyland this year, instant headline grabber.

There wasn't any higher number of people get measles this year than any other year. It just happened to be centered at Disneyland this year, instant headline grabber.

"
Outbreaks of measles and mumps in central Ohio have continued to spread this summer, resulting in record numbers of the vaccine-preventable illnesses in the state and nationwide.

A mumps outbreak that began on the Ohio State University campus in January hasnow infected 447 people, the largest outbreak the state has seen since 1979, when there were 930 cases of the disease, according to Columbus Public Health (CPH). "

http://www.cleveland.com/healthfit/index.ssf/2014/07/ohio_mumps_cases_at_35-year_hi.html

I live in Ohio, so this is just off the top of my head there professor. But keep pushing for kids to not get vaccinated and hopefully its not your family that gets infected by the next idiot family.

There's always outbreaks, every freaking year, it's just last no one hears about it, except this year Disneyland made it a headline.
I'm not pushing for anyone not to get vaccinated, my kids are vaccinated and I really don't give a rip what you do with yours.

gTtK4z7D.jpg

668 cases of measles in a country of 320 million is not a reason to overreact. Its the definition of making a mountain out of a mole hill.
If those odds scare you enough that you fear for your child's safety, then I don't know how you ever let them leave the house, I really don't.

668 cases of measles in a country of 320 million is not a reason to overreact. Its the definition of making a mountain out of a mole hill.
If those odds scare you enough that you fear for your child's safety, then I don't know how you ever let them leave the house, I really don't.

Nice pivot to a new angle once you realize your earlier post was just flat out wrong.

But I'm not the one over-reacting. I don't have kids. So try again.

It wasn't a pivot, 668 cases is not some sort of epidemic. There is outbreaks every year, and the only reason we heard of it last year was due to Disneyland. Thats what made National headlines.
What I'm getting at is there isn't a wolf at the door on this matter. It really isn't even an issue, and when people overreact it gives politicians an out on actual issues.

Bill Derington: "There wasn't any higher number of people get measles this year than any other year"

*link showing record number of cases this year*

Bill Derington: "Well that's cause it was in Disneyland!"

*link showing that it was not, in fact, isolated to Disneyland*

Bill Derington: "Well 668 in a land of millions is barely any"

:confused: Its like talking to a brick wall.

These smilies are awful BTW.

Ron, There is normally 100-200 cases of measles a year in the US, obviously 668 is more than that, so on that point I was wrong. My point about Disneyland remains, thats what brought it to the national forefront, as NO ONE heard about the other cases.
With all that said, 668 cases in a country as large as ours is not a reason to get hysterical, dont you agree?

Ron, There is normally 100-200 cases of measles a year in the US, obviously 668 is more than that, so on that point I was wrong. My point about Disneyland remains, thats what brought it to the national forefront, as NO ONE heard about the other cases.
With all that said, 668 cases in a country as large as ours is not a reason to get hysterical, dont you agree?

Ever heard the saying an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure? I mean there are probably so few cases annually BECAUSE of vaccinations.

Reactions: maverick1

I'm not hysterical about it and I hope I didn't come across that way. I live in Columbus so I was very much well aware of the mumps and measles outbreak at OSU last year. My whole point was the OP was saying he can't believe the government is mandating vaccines now. My whole response was that we had the largest outbreak of vaccinated and preventable diseases last year since 1979, so of course they are mandating it. Why would we have a random spike last year? That makes no sense if everything is moving like normal, but its not, because we've all of a sudden had a wave of people that are now anti-vaccine, which correlates with a 30 year record high numbers of people getting diseases that we vaccinate against. So of course the government is now going to mandate it, because obviously there is a growing sentiment to not get them now, and now the numbers of deadly preventable diseases is growing. The government is trying to nip it in the bud before it does become something we have to be hysterical about because of idiots not getting vaccinated.

A One year uptick is not a sign of things to come in my mind. I think it's a negligible number to force people to do something, which is a small number in the first place.

I think it's a good idea to get children vaccinated, I don't mean to come across otherwise. But for whatever reason some people don't want to, and I think it sets a bad precedent when we start forcing people to do something they choose not too. Especially when it's a small amount of the population. Right or wrong thats my take on it.

A One year uptick is not a sign of things to come in my mind. I think it's a negligible number to force people to do something, which is a small number in the first place.

I think it's a good idea to get children vaccinated, I don't mean to come across otherwise. But for whatever reason some people don't want to, and I think it sets a bad precedent when we start forcing people to do something they choose not too. Especially when it's a small amount of the population. Right or wrong thats my take on it.

Well, if their decisions affect the lives of other people, then yeah, their asses need to get that shot. It's not a choice.

Yes I suppose. You know, if you anti-gubmit nuts are going to live in a society then there are certain things that are going to be required of you like vaccinating your children so they don't expose other children to preventable 3rd world diseases all because FREEDOM!!!!!
Yes but, heaven forbid that the local "gubmit" locks down criminals who are destroying neighborhoods because they can't sell their drugs or rob anyone. Like that does not hurt people either. It is funny how you pick and choose what freedoms are worthy and which ones are not, Troll.

Willy, I agree they need to get the shot, but it's not a big enough problem to make a difference. It's not a problem in the first place. Basically the way it is now you have to have immunizations to do anything. I signed my daughters up for 4h camp, had to have immuniztions, Signed them up for Fish and Wildlife Camp, had to have immunizations, Public school the same. I guess my question is why is there a need to mandate it when there's already a 95% or better level of use.

People are different and have different beliefs, when was the last time you went out in public and worried about how many people were unvaccinated? It seems like such a nonissue.

Willy, I agree they need to get the shot, but it's not a big enough problem to make a difference. It's not a problem in the first place. Basically the way it is now you have to have immunizations to do anything. I signed my daughters up for 4h camp, had to have immuniztions, Signed them up for Fish and Wildlife Camp, had to have immunizations, Public school the same. I guess my question is why is there a need to mandate it when there's already a 95% or better level of use.

People are different and have different beliefs, when was the last time you went out in public and worried about how many people were unvaccinated? It seems like such a nonissue.

Let me see if I understand you correctly Bill. You're saying that why should gov't intervene with mandatory vax when 95% of all social inclusions require vaxes anyway?

Because when vaccination rates for certain pathogens fall below certain benchmarks, the bug is able to begin circulating (coincidentally, I think the benchmark for measles is around 92-95%)

That isn't the end of the story, though. Even the best vaccines are only ~80% effective at providing durable immunity. That means that 20% of the vaccinated 95% become vulnerable to the bug.

Bill, I have a suspicion your feelings would be very different if you or somebody in your family weren't able to get immunized or they had a medical condition that made them much more likely to become critically ill if they contracted a "normal childhood disease".

The bottom line is that non-medical professionals are spreading misinformation about the risks/benefits of vaccination. And that's both dangerous and unnecessary.

Last edited:
My whole deal with is, I don't care what Someone else does with their children as long as they aren't mistreating them. It's hard enough to raise my kids, much less worry about other people. Let people be, I don't care that the whole foods, nature parents, or Amish don't vaccinate, but I don't feel it's our place to force our will on them especially when it's such a minute number of people actually affected.

I guess what I'm saying Willy, is I don't really care.

My whole deal with is, I don't care what Someone else does with their children as long as they aren't mistreating them. It's hard enough to raise my kids, much less worry about other people. Let people be, I don't care that the whole foods, nature parents, or Amish don't vaccinate, but I don't feel it's our place to force our will on them especially when it's such a minute number of people actually affected.

I guess what I'm saying Willy, is I don't really care.

I can admire that. I'm pretty deep with apathy too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT