ADVERTISEMENT

UK will beat UT for these reasons…

That's a tough one.
UT will shut down the run game and force us to beat them through the air.
Unfortunately, their front 4 are excellent pass rushers and are able to pressure/sack the QB on almost every passing down unless you roll the pocket or pass the ball in 2.5 seconds.

Meanwhile, on offense, UT really found its QB run game against Bama when the RB couldn't gain any yardage......ugh!!

And their WR can make tough catches even in tight coverage. They will eat a zone up.

Our biggest advantage will be if Coen can get very creative and utilize TE over the middle in the pass game, move the pocket, and put in some QB run game of our own.

We will have to try and outscore them like we did two years ago instead of trying to keep them from scoring, and that goes against every fiber in CMS body.

I look for CMS to come out even more conservative on offense and try to establish the run early on.
If so, this one could be over by the 1st. Quarter.

To win we can't beat ourselves by self imploding. On defense keep it simple. Too much complexity gets us lost on the UT quick pace especially on their switch concepts.

On O catch the ball and forget the touch sheet. Let Davis carry you and play guys that will catch the ball. On offense, we've beat ourselves with drops, dumb penalties, and forcing touches to guys that don't produce

Reactions: entropy13
Force Milton to make throws across the middle and we can win. Don't let him use his feet.
UF/Bama took away their running game and forced Overthrow Joe to try to beat them, expect UK to try the same. Despite what some think here, this is a very ordinary TN team, not at the same level as '22. Melton will run, frequently a panic reaction by him, but he can hurt you. Hopefully UK uses a spy on him as they've done with the likes of Emory Jones/AR-15 in the past. IF, and here's the key for UK, IF UK shows up motivated and focused to show they aren't as bad as they've shown the last 2 games, they have a chance at a W.

Chumlee's using the friendly TN sports media to bitch about officiating in the Bama game. My great concern is will the SEC allow TN to lose two games in a row with GA and MO ahead for them? Would not at all be surprised of another game of double figure penalties called on UK.

UK establishes the running game and forces UT to commit a S to stopping the run, hit some screens and draws to slow down the rush. Take UT's run game away and force them to hit some pass plays.
Agree on run game but it always seems UT always hits those long pass plays against us. How do we stop those 2 receivers lined up on both sidelines formations that always seem to burn us? Knock shit outta lead blocker at the snap?

UT could be without 2 starting OLs again Saturday, which could really help UK. In both losses, UT was without 2 starting OLs, against UF, UT was missing C Cooper Mays and RT Jerome Mincey. Not having Mays was especially critical. Against Bama, starting LG Andre Keric was out, and UT lost RT Mincey again in the 3rd qtr. He also had to leave the game in the 2nd half against ATM, as he is struggling with a knee issue. I haven't heard if either he or Keric will be available this Saturday. The problem with having Mincey out is that the #2 RT, Crawford, was also unavailable for the Bama game, which meant UT had to go with the #3, Davis, a former walk-on, who had multiple false start penalties, as well as a holding call, in the Bama game. Hopefully, Mincey and Keric can go this Saturday, but based on the last couple of weeks, I'm just not sure Mincey will make through a game, assuming he is even available. If they have to go with the #3 RT again, I would expect UK to try to exploit that.

Edit: Heupel said in his presser earlier that Mincey has been practicing this week, which is good news for UT, but I think the question is will he be able to go 4 qtrs, something jhe has been unable to do the last 2 weeks.

Last edited:
That's a tough one.
Unfortunately, their front 4 are excellent pass rushers and are able to pressure/sack the QB on almost every passing down unless you roll the pocket or pass the ball in 2.5 seconds.

Meanwhile, on offense, UT really found its QB run game against Bama when the RB couldn't gain any yardage......ugh!!

And their WR can make tough catches even in tight coverage. They will eat a zone up.

Our biggest advantage will be if Coen can get very creative and utilize TE over the middle in the pass game, move the pocket, and put in some QB run game of our own.

We will have to try and outscore them like we did two years ago instead of trying to keep them from scoring, and that goes against every fiber in CMS body.

I look for CMS to come out even more conservative on offense and try to establish the run early on.
Solid take .. I agree 💯 %

Reactions: cathouse
UT could be without 2 starting OLs again Saturday, which could really help UK. In both losses, UT was without 2 starting OLs, against UF, UT was missing C Cooper Mays and RT Jerome Mincey. Not having Mays was especially critical. Against Bama, starting LG Andre Keric was out, and UT lost RT Mincey again in the 3rd qtr. He also had to leave the game in the 2nd half against ATM, as he is struggling with a knee issue. I haven't heard if either he or Keric will be available this Saturday. The problem with having Mincey out is that the #2 RT, Crawford, was also unavailable for the Bama game, which meant UT had to go with the #3, Davis, a former walk-on, who had multiple false start penalties, as well as a holding call, in the Bama game. Hopefully, Mincey and Keric can go this Saturday, but based on the last couple of weeks, I'm just not sure Mincey will make through a game, assuming he is even available. If they have to go with the #3 RT again, I would expect UK to try to exploit that.

Edit: Heupel said in his presser earlier that Mincey has been practicing this week, which is good news for UT, but I think the question is will he be able to go 4 qtrs, something jhe has been unable to do the last 2 weeks.
Won’t matter. Our pass rush Is non existent so no matter who they start, we won’t get any sacks. We are very vanilla on defense.

Reactions: ManitouDan
UK establishes the running game and forces UT to commit a S to stopping the run, hit some screens and draws to slow down the rush. Take UT's run game away and force them to hit some pass plays.
You may have that one backward. AL won the 2nd half of their game against TN by taking away TN's checkdown passing game and forcing Milton to run. AL's LBs were excellent in that game.

Agree on run game but it always seems UT always hits those long pass plays against us. How do we stop those 2 receivers lined up on both sidelines formations that always seem to burn us? Knock shit outta lead blocker at the snap?

Don't take this wrong, but DBs have to be more disciplined. After a successful play get in position for the next snap, vol receivers are, can't pound their chest in celebration and then struggle getting in position. Save those for getting off the field on 3rd and forcing a punt.

The only thing that will determine what this outcome will be, is how soft of zone we play. Yes, we need to run the ball and control the clock keeping UT's high octane offense on the sidelines, but that is true of every game we play, its just our style we choose to deploy and stoops has shown a refusal to change regardless of how much talent we have. However, our defense plays right into UTs hands, because they don't have to hit big plays this year, they can just 6-10 yards per play us to death down the field. They will eat our 10 yard cushions alive and their run game has improved somewhat this year. I don't think this game is close because once again, Stoops will force his team to play perfect situational football and we just cant do it.

• Sad
That's a tough one.

How did their QB run look in the 2nd half against Alabama?

dgds6gc-5acaa45b-86f7-4969-af2b-22ed2ae08c50.jpg

We will need Tennessee to beat themselves with a lot of penalties and/or multiple turnovers. If that happens, then we can have some hope. If not, it could be a long night in the Commonwealth.

UT has not ɛlayed well on road. Give em a steady diet of Davis and mix in short passes up the middle of field using backs and tightends. On defense blitz,blitz,blitz put pressure on Milton he doesnt like it. Win turnover battle and play smart. Unfortunately other than feed Davis against Florida we have not done any of these things against SEC opponents

How much does your guy charge for that good stuff you're smoking. We're going to get murdered. 34-10. I'll come back and eat my crow gladly. We always piss right down our leg from the opening kick and this year we're going into it with a QB who's been in a funk all year. They're going to load up and make Leary throw to beat them and he hasn't shown that ability all year. If I was betting the farm UT -3.5 should be a extremely believable line, I'll probably drop 100 on it just in case UT does what I said at least I'll get some return out of it ...if I lose 100 and we get the W ill gladly make that trade because I was going to attend and that would cost me well over 100.

Reactions: KYExtemper
We're going to get murdered. 34-10.

Ben Franklin said a pessimist can only be pleasantly surprised. It continues to amaze me how some of our fans can predict the future.

They're going to load up and make Leary throw to beat them

Undoubtedly, TN's defense will. GA loaded the box. MO loaded the box. TN will load the box, because Ray Davis at this moment is the most dangerous RB in the SEC. We all know this. Coach Coen knows it and has had two weeks to prepare. To whatever extent Coen can address this, he has had two weeks to get that done. Like many of our fans, you forgot to mention that Leary's problems, to some extent, are directly related to pass blocking and dropped passes. Not all of the problems, but a lot of them. Since Kenneth Horsey is our best offensive lineman, I am hoping that him being 100% will help. But what we need most is better execution in picking up blitzes, which gets a little more difficult when the opposing defense loads the box.

Ben Franklin said a pessimist can only be pleasantly surprised. It continues to amaze me how some of our fans can predict the future.

Undoubtedly, TN's defense will. GA loaded the box. MO loaded the box. TN will load the box, because Ray Davis at this moment is the most dangerous RB in the SEC. We all know this. Coach Coen knows it and has had two weeks to prepare. To whatever extent Coen can address this, he has had two weeks to get that done. Like many of our fans, you forgot to mention that Leary's problems, to some extent, are directly related to pass blocking and dropped passes. Not all of the problems, but a lot of them. Since Kenneth Horsey is our best offensive lineman, I am hoping that him being 100% will help. But what we need most is better execution in picking up blitzes, which gets a little more difficult when the opposing defense loads the box.
If we haven't schemed around the WR issues in 7 weeks I don't believe in the ability to scheme around them in 2 weeks until I see it. See me Sunday night and we will continue. We have a bunch of promised snaps to some WR that haven't improved since they were freshman you can't scheme around that.

Reactions: FltDoc

Agreed.

- Coen is a talented offensive coordinator and he has had two weeks to prepare and he has a bad taste in his mouth as the offense is struggling mkore than the D. The WR drops are hard to explain but passes have been hitting guys in hands..... This offense ain't far off and can be put together.
- Davis is best RB in SEC....Tennessee will put their focus on him which will open up play action shots....we just need to hit those shots. Dingle/Bates/Kattus should have some moments. Look for Leary to keep on a read option at times we need a TD/First down. It's a long game...UK double TE sets with all kinds of motion....I can see Davis hitting some big plays as Tennessee D has shown you can get them if you make them grind out a full game.
- UK D....This is a Deonne Walker game. TEnnessee will split out the WR and then our Dline/DJack/Wallace will all at LOS to stop the run and Milton scrambling. Walker can disrupt and force a double team which can kill Tn run game by himself.
- Milton hasn't thrown well and is a lesser passer and WR are lesser. Force Tn to pass.....that is the plan. Now oru DBs have been lowing assigmnets and they need to be locked in on assignments.

I see this as even game....not a blowout at all to Tennesses's favor.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
How did their QB run look in the 2nd half against Alabama?
Very good. Probably their best offensive weapon in the second half.

Edit. He rushed 7 times for 87 yards in the second half.

Last edited:
UT offense will go after Zion Childress early and often.

We will find out real quick if Brad White has figured out how to defend that little sideline play where the DB'S have to make a snap decision on who covers who.

If not Squirrel White will be 20 yards behind the defense before our DB'S figure out who to cover on that play.

UT offense will go after Zion Childress early and often.

We will find out real quick if Brad White has figured out how to defend that little sideline play where the DB'S have to make a snap decision on who covers who.

If not Squirrel White will be 20 yards behind the defense before our DB'S figure out who to cover on that play.
You are correct...Zion has blew through his assignments (even in the non conference scrubs)...so Buffano/White needs to get his head cleaned up. But Zion has been great at tackling and getting dudes on the ground which will also be a big part of defending Tennessee on their many concepts.

Let's hope he plays a good mental game.

UT's rush defense is good but they haven't faced a rush offense as good as UK this year. UK leads the SEC in rush yards per play:

I think UT tries to take away the run and force Leary to beat them. I think UK has the exact same game plan and tries to take away UT's run and force Milton to beat them. Best QB play, best special teams, and the fewest turnovers wins.

You are correct...Zion has blew through his assignments (even in the non conference scrubs)...so Buffano/White needs to get his head cleaned up. But Zion has been great at tackling and getting dudes on the ground which will also be a big part of defending Tennessee on their many concepts.

Let's hope he plays a good mental game.
UT uses more shifts and motion for eye candy and to make the defense show whether they are in man or zone than probably any other team in the SEC.

Huepel's offensive success comes from getting favorable matchups in the passing game.

ZC has shown me nothing that makes me think he will not be out of position on 90% of UT pass plays, or will be biting on play action and playing the run as the WR zips right past him headed to the endzone.

Dear God, I hope I am wrong. Maybe BW got some things fixed during the off week.

Don't take this wrong, but DBs have to be more disciplined. After a successful play get in position for the next snap, vol receivers are, can't pound their chest in celebration and then struggle getting in position. Save those for getting off the field on 3rd and forcing a punt.

This is more accurate than you even know. The last few years, I can think of multiple occasions (especially the 2021 game in Lexington), where our secondary was celebrating a stop and UT was already lined up ready to snap the ball again.

Agreed.

- Coen is a talented offensive coordinator and he has had two weeks to prepare and he has a bad taste in his mouth as the offense is struggling mkore than the D. The WR drops are hard to explain but passes have been hitting guys in hands..... This offense ain't far off and can be put together.
- Davis is best RB in SEC....Tennessee will put their focus on him which will open up play action shots....we just need to hit those shots. Dingle/Bates/Kattus should have some moments. Look for Leary to keep on a read option at times we need a TD/First down. It's a long game...UK double TE sets with all kinds of motion....I can see Davis hitting some big plays as Tennessee D has shown you can get them if you make them grind out a full game.
- UK D....This is a Deonne Walker game. TEnnessee will split out the WR and then our Dline/DJack/Wallace will all at LOS to stop the run and Milton scrambling. Walker can disrupt and force a double team which can kill Tn run game by himself.
- Milton hasn't thrown well and is a lesser passer and WR are lesser. Force Tn to pass.....that is the plan. Now oru DBs have been lowing assigmnets and they need to be locked in on assignments.

I see this as even game....not a blowout at all to Tennesses's favor.

In the first half, AL spied on Milton and Milton hit some checkdown passes. In the second half, Saban took the spy off Milton and used that guy in interior pass coverages instead. Milton had some runs but AL's LBs tackled really well. TN's second half passing game was not effective for the most part. Milton is a smart, experienced QB but he is still an athlete more than a high level passer. I think it is almost inevitable that Milton will have a big day against UK, especially if UK defenders tackle sloppily and give up a lot of yards after first contact. But that doesn't necessarily have to be the decisive factor.

Heupel's system involves a presnap read of how many defenders are in the box. If Milton sees seven in the box, he throws the football. If he sees six in the box, he checks to a running play. Deone Walker and Keeshawn Silver are important in this game because they are huge and they occupy blockers. They might be able to limit TN's interior running game even when the presnap read causes Milton to check down to the run because of a light box. Coach White can make things harder on Milton by disguising what the nickel Afari is going to do.

But the key to this game IMO is whether UK's offense comes in with a smart game plan and executes it. It is fashionable now to throw Devin Leary under the bus. That's what the flock is doing. And all of us know Leary has not performed as expected. However, drops, poor routes, and blown blocking assignments have had a significant impact. If UK's WRs had played well, I think we would have a different view of Leary at this point. Not an all-SEC view, just a more positive one. I saw Dane Key play in the Swamp last year, so I know how he can impact a game if he executes his assignments. It's time for Dane to step up. I have said for weeks that Leary's throwing slot has dropped down, and that accounts for passes that have sailed. I don't know if he is doing it because of the pec injury, the layoff, or the pressure. But he has thrown a little better in the last two games and his receivers have just not executed. The holding penalties have been drive killers and an argument can be made that they cost us the MO game. IMO we would have beat MO if we had played a clean game. Even as it was, the stats were almost even except for a .opsided difference in penalties and the final score. The stupid penalties have to stop, and the bye week should have fixed the problem.

One more point about UK-MO. Every week, our team continues to get clipped in the second quarter. Is this a lack of concentration, a tired team, or failure to make adjustments? It is costing us.

The wildcards this week are the bye week and the "rivalry" effect. IDK how either of those will impact the outcome in the final analysis. But if our team has any fight and pride in them, we should perform better than two weeks ago.

To say the least, I am still not sold on Yenser or Woodward. But if they are going to save their jobs, right now is the time to get it going.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT