ADVERTISEMENT

UK Releases Depth Chart

When you have another potential star in the same position, this is not unheard of. Especially when the "starter" is still being praised for potential, rather than consistent success. See Bama, UL and others. If Towles was coming off a season where he passed for 3,500 yards, this would not be an issue. As it is, it really is not an issue.

Some act like the last few years represents the first time Stoops has decided starters and second stringers. He has been doing this for years.
I've never seen Bama go through a QB competition unless they had to. Nor did UL under Strong. And not for an offense Stoops hasn't.

Stoops has a new OC, two QBs he is trying to get ready for the season, and a third he is trying to rehab, because he could very well see playing time. There seems to be no problem on the team, but the media is confused and fans don't get it.

Fall practice has not even begun and Stoops is failing. One thing that is absolutely the same about football and basketball, the fans are dissatisfied about most everything.

You've got 2 maybe 3 guys on here crying about the depth chart but for the most part people get it. It wouldn't shock me if footballfanatic77 was just a troll trying to stir things up.

Towles last year was not s good QB. Blame the OL, the receivers, experience or whatever you want.

Personally, I firmly believe he will start. If he hangs fire early and often then don't wait forever to put him on the bench.

I've never seen Bama go through a QB competition unless they had to. Nor did UL under Strong. And not for an offense Stoops hasn't.

Guess you are right about Strong, when BW first got there he was second string behind a walkon, but there wasn't any competition, BW inherited the position due to injury.

Personally I think the only reason Towles is leading the competition now is because he is from Kentucky.

Oh, wait a minute, so is Barker, and he was a great recruiter for his class.

I guess I will have t get on the phone and tell Stoops who he should start, but I will need some feedback from some of the experts on here first.

you obviously did not watch them last year and sure didn't watch their spring practice. bama did not decide on a starter last year until game 3. they are not decided on a starter this year yet either.

Guess you are right about Strong, when BW first got there he was second string behind a walkon, but there wasn't any competition, BW inherited the position due to injury.

Personally I think the only reason Towles is leading the competition now is because he is from Kentucky.

Oh, wait a minute, so is Barker, and he was a great recruiter for his class.

I guess I will have t get on the phone and tell Stoops who he should start, but I will need some feedback from some of the experts on here first.
You may not like me and I may not like you, but there is no reason to get snarky. Opinions can differ.

Last edited:
you obviously did not watch them last year and sure didn't watch their spring practice. bama did not decide on a starter last year until game 3. they are not decided on a starter this year yet either.
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize Alabama had an established QB going into last season. Or this season.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize Alabama had an established QB going into last season. Or this season.

By opening up the competition for Dawson to make a determination, UK did not have an established starter this spring. Coker is the assumed starter for Bama, just as Towles is for UK. Saban spoke highly of Coker and also mentioned his expectations. But, has not announced him a starter. These distinctions without differences are causing you consternations?

By opening up the competition for Dawson to make a determination, UK did not have an established starter this spring. Coker is the assumed starter for Bama, just as Towles is for UK. Saban spoke highly of Coker and also mentioned his expectations. But, has not announced him a starter. These distinctions without differences are causing you consternations?

Difference. Coker has never started a game.

I'm not really asking for people to agree with me. Generally if I don't see things like the average UK fan I consider that a plus. :) Never starting a game in the SEC is a substantial difference from starting every single game for an entire season. You can't compare the UK situation to South Carolina, Alabama or Georgia. Really the only somewhat comparable situation in the SEC is LSU, but QB play was awful last year there. I'm not sure it was as awful for UK as many fans believe, people are just always first to throw the QB under the bus, especially when they don't know much about football. I think OL, DL, secondary, and receiver play, and the run game are all much more important for UK this season than who is under center.

Both of these guys are playing this year, IMO. Your concerns are extremely over-hyped.

I would certainly hope both of them play. There needs to be a good backup or the season is done before it gets started probably. You never know when a QB is going to go down with an injury and also Towles stayed in games too long last season even when the game was in control (and I know there were few of those, but it would have been nice to have a reliable backup).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT